PDA

View Full Version : MONISTAT??? ok now im intrigued.....

redneckprincess
May 7th, 2009, 05:29 AM
ok so whats the deal with using monistat on your hair?

and how do you use it?...just smear it on your scalp? how often should this be done?

who the heck found this out? lol:cool:

Thanks

Rapunzal2Be
May 7th, 2009, 05:37 AM
If you use the search feature you'll find a very long and detailed thread on the hows and whys and lots of results! :) HTH!

redneckprincess
May 7th, 2009, 05:47 AM
If you use the search feature you'll find a very long and detailed thread on the hows and whys and lots of results! :) HTH!
tried that couldnt find anything worth the info I wanted just tons of people saying they used it

bttrfly857
May 7th, 2009, 05:52 AM
http://hairgrowth.5u.com (http://hairgrowth.5u.com/)

Rapunzal2Be
May 7th, 2009, 05:55 AM
To sum up (to the best of my knowledge):

Some use it straight from the tube and massage it into the scalp, some add water to it in a dropper bottle and apply to scalp that way then massage in. Some use it at night and shampoo out in the am if it makes their scalp greasy, others apply it after a wash and leave it until the next wash.

I think there are people using it who do all types of wash - shampoo/condish, CO, poo bars, etc.

Some people use it every day, but I think the majority do it every other day or two times per week.

Some people are rotating between using it and taking some time off, while others have used it long term.

The Monistat brand is less greasy than generics which use mineral oil as their base. Both 2% and 4% have been shown to be successful.

I have no idea who found this out, and I don't even think people know exactly why it works. But it really does show results for a lot of people. Of course, there are also those who it did not work for.

Was that a little more helpful? :)

redneckprincess
May 7th, 2009, 05:56 AM
thanks I will check it out

redneckprincess
May 7th, 2009, 05:59 AM
yes...so maybe next time im at the store i will get some...or the cashier will think i have a problem down there, lmao :)

MadPirateBippy
May 8th, 2009, 10:15 PM
The reason people are pointing you to the monistat thread is that it's about 40 pages, I think- there is a TON of information there. Just a huge amount.

biggeorge
May 8th, 2009, 11:46 PM
yes...so maybe next time im at the store i will get some...or the cashier will think i have a problem down there, lmao :)

Just imagine the looks I would get if I decided to go this route!

enfys
May 10th, 2009, 11:39 AM

I think in the UK people use Daktarin; it's a foot fungus cream. Problem solved!

I haven't tried it but didn't a lot of people have to stop using it because it gave them headaches?

Forever_Sophie
May 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Wow, I was just wondering about this, too, but after reading Bttrfly's link, I'm gonna skip this. Shedding that may not subside is not a risk I'm willing to take!

Will look for the original thread out of curiosity, though ;)

redneckprincess
May 16th, 2009, 05:08 AM
So I got the stuff and applied it...pretty messy, so can I just put the entire tube in an old color bottle and set it in the cabnet and use when needed,
how long can it sit (basically opened) in the cabnet,
or should I but a plastic baggy (sandwich baggy) under the top when not in use?
do I have to mix with water or oil when using that way?
why is miniral oil (from the cheeper brand) so bad for your hair?

sorry so many questions I just dont want to be doing this wrong for as expensive it is

how many applications can you get out of one tube?

♥Angie

smilinjenn71
May 16th, 2009, 06:06 AM
So I got the stuff and applied it...pretty messy, so can I just put the entire tube in an old color bottle and set it in the cabnet and use when needed,

sorry so many questions I just dont want to be doing this wrong for as expensive it is

♥Angie
I notice that I don't get as much growth when I mix mine with water, so I went back to applying it straight.

People that do mix recommend mixing just enough to do a day or two, not mixing the entire bottle at one time for future use.

I have no idea about mineral oil.:p

Heidi_234
May 16th, 2009, 06:43 AM

I asked the cashier for a cream that contains miconazole nitrate, and she offered me some local brand, while I was checking the ingredients (to make sure it is MN and that the inactive ones doesn't list mineral oil at least) she thought I wasn't sure I got what I need so she asked what I need it for, fungus? And I thoughtlessly said no, and she was like "oh.." with that look on her face. So I quickly continued on and said that I've read it makes nails real hard. lol that was an elegant save! The 'poor you, but this is TMI' look completely disppeared from her face, and plus I didn't have to say I was about to use it on my scalp, which would have weirded her out entirely! Phew!

rhubarbarin
May 16th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Personally:

I use 4% straight from the tube and rub it into my scalp with my fingers. I just make small partings and try not to get too much on my hair. Not an exact science and I don't get an even distribution on my whole scalp..I am mostly concerned with my front layers and canopy growing so I do mostly the top and front of my head.

I do it at night, sleep on it and shampoo my hair in the morning.

I have never had any side effects although I get the slightest tingly sensation for about 15 seconds after rubbing it in.

If I use it at least twice a week it doubles my growth rate from 1/2" per month to 1".

I only really did it for two months (I keep on wanting to start again but never get around to it) - didn't notice any less shedding when I used it, or any more when I stopped.

Fairlight63
May 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Thats the way that I use it also. Straight from the bottle, part my hair in sections & put on scalp. I only put it on the area that is thin though (top & sides of scalp) lasts longer that way.

By the way, I noticed the last time that I was in the store that it went up to over $15 for a small container - that was at Piggly Wiggly grocery store.

suicides_eve
May 16th, 2009, 08:29 PM

♥Angie

-yes you can do that, I would toss after about 2-3 weeks though in case of any kinda bacteria forms. (just b/c it's a anti fungal dosn't mean it can't get some weird bacteria in it)
- you don't have to mix with anything you can use it"straight" from the tube. Some use oil or water or what ever hair growth concoction they made to make application easier
-mineral oil can cause break outs on the face,neck,body and scalp. Some folks believe mineral oil can block the hair follicles and blockages and stunt growth. Also it leave ya with a mean case of the head greaseies:disgust:

Tap Dancer
May 17th, 2009, 03:37 AM
http://hairgrowth.5u.com (http://hairgrowth.5u.com/)

My computer says that site is unsafe. :( But thanks... I'm thinking of trying Monistat now.

Themyst
May 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM
*sighs* Okay. I just wrote Monistat on my shopping list. I've been curious about it for a while now. But, even after skimming through the big Monistat thread, I still have two questions.

Why does it cause headaches in some people? I thought increased blood flow prevented headaches - isn't that what asprin does?

Have I fallen for some deranged, diabolical evil plan to see what hair lovers will smear in their hair? Come on now, vinegar? Eggs? Mayonnaise? I think there is even a Henna 'n Placenta product out there ... now Monistat. Okay, but if dog poop appears in a thread, I'm not even going to read it.:D

Heidi_234
May 17th, 2009, 07:46 AM
*sighs* Okay. I just wrote Monistat on my shopping list. I've been curious about it for a while now. But, even after skimming through the big Monistat thread, I still have two questions.

Why does it cause headaches in some people? I thought increased blood flow prevented headaches - isn't that what asprin does?

Have I fallen for some deranged, diabolical evil plan to see what hair lovers will smear in their hair? Come on now, vinegar? Eggs? Mayonnaise? I think there is even a Henna 'n Placenta product out there ... now Monistat. Okay, but if dog poop appears in a thread, I'm not even going to read it.:D
I was paranoid at first too. But I read info from different sources about what is MN, how it works, how people even thought of using it for hair growth, how is might help increase hair growth, and after clarifying all the mystery it seems rather fine and convincing for me. I'm not sure it worked for me though. I think that tomorrow one company will market new product for the scalp that lists miconazole nitrate as an active ingredient then you, and me, and many other people would feel much less paranoid about using it.
I doesn't increased blood flow, but allows more oxygen to reach the scalp. It also kills fungus, so overall it might make it healthier. And I must say, sometimes headaches are caused by blood flow to the head.

Themyst
May 17th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Cindi Eponabri just posted this link on another thread:

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_21.htm

I read through a lot of it and it seems pretty credible. It also says:

"Nothing that is put on the scalp or hair can interfere with the growth of the hairs."

This seems to refute any Monistat growth claims. I'm going to try it anyway. I'll do a monthly measurement, although I don't know how accurate it will be since my hair is already pretty long. It's getting hard to measure.

Sorry, somehow I really messed up the fonts.