PDA

View Full Version : First LoL Comment!

Oberon88
May 6th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I am officially a long hair I suppose, as I was asked today if I was planning on donating my hair to Locks of Love.
A girl in my class was talking about how she was growing out her hair to donate it. Her hair is about APL and she was talking about how she gets it cut every six weeks, straightens it every day and dyes it very bright blonde, but was confused at how long it was taking for it to grow. I didn't say anything, as it's not my business, but I had worn my hair down today for a change, and it drew her donating eye.

"Why don't you donate your hair? It's so long!"
I said "I'd rather give money if I was going to donate anything."
"You're being selfish" she replied.
I said "Oh, before you cut it off, you should know that Locks of Love throws out all of the over-processed hair it receives."

She had absolutely nothing to say to that, but just touched her rather fried hair and my teacher who had been privy to the whole conversation said "Oberon, your hair is gorgeous, don't cut it." :D

It's kind of a funny thing to be excited about.

mugglemomof3
May 6th, 2009, 11:12 PM
It just floors me that basically a complete stranger to you would blurt out, "you're being selfish". Do we not have any manners anymore??? :rolleyes: I'm so glad you called her on it and good for your teacher too.

Elenna
May 6th, 2009, 11:17 PM
You used the term "donating eye." I thought that was a clever phrase.

Autumnberry
May 6th, 2009, 11:27 PM
It just floors me that basically a complete stranger to you would blurt out, "you're being selfish". Do we not have any manners anymore??? :rolleyes: I'm so glad you called her on it and good for your teacher too.

Yes, it definitely shows poor manners, and it is also very freaky how people try to control others through hair. I wonder if stone age societies did this, too. I wonder what they complained about back then. It wasn't not having a neat bob; perhaps they complained if your locks were not matted enough :eyebrows:.

AnnaMarie
May 6th, 2009, 11:29 PM
You had a great come back! I can never think of things like that to say on the spot, Well done!:p

SimplyLonghair
May 6th, 2009, 11:30 PM
:rollin: I think that is priceless Oberon! I would hope that you educated her, but having met the type before I doubt it. :p

SimplyLonghair
May 6th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Yes, it definitely shows poor manners, and it is also very freaky how people try to control others through hair. I wonder if stone age societies did this, too. I wonder what they complained about back then. It wasn't not having a neat bob; perhaps they complained if your locks were not matted enough :eyebrows:.
No in stone age societies they just grabbed the hair and yanked to control you :shocked: Now they just do the same thing verbally. :rolleyes:

Robbi Dehlinger
May 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Hi!

PLus, you might have told her, that very little of the hair donated to LOL actually GETS to the people who need it! Much of it is sold at a profit and where the heck does that money go?

:(

joyellen
May 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Your comeback was really perfect. You know those times where you think of the perfect thing to say way too late? Well, you said the perfect thing at just the right time! :applause

SheWolf
May 6th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Don't you just love moments like this? :D

Jules diamond
May 7th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Congrats on your first comment! Erm, many more to come? Great comeback.

jahof45
May 7th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Oberon88, Congratulations on you official "LoL" comment and what a great comeback.

No in stone age societies they just grabbed the hair and yanked to control you :shocked: Now they just do the same thing verbally. :rolleyes:

Perfect analogy. You might be on to something.

Unofficial_Rose
May 7th, 2009, 01:31 AM
You are part of a special elite now! :D Maybe you should start a club for people who have had unsolicited comments re LoL?

As others have said, wicked sharp comeback :rollin:

enfys
May 7th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Brilliant comeback!

People hate the word processed I think, it makes them realise what they're doing.

florenonite
May 7th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Congrats on being an "official" longhair :p

heidi w.
May 7th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Congratulations!!

You've arrived!

heidi w.

Nightshade
May 7th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Yay! Welcome to the club! I love that your stinging comment was 100% true as well.

marialena
May 7th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I am officially a long hair I suppose, as I was asked today if I was planning on donating my hair to Locks of Love.
A girl in my class was talking about how she was growing out her hair to donate it. Her hair is about APL and she was talking about how she gets it cut every six weeks, straightens it every day and dyes it very bright blonde, but was confused at how long it was taking for it to grow. I didn't say anything, as it's not my business, but I had worn my hair down today for a change, and it drew her donating eye.

"Why don't you donate your hair? It's so long!"
I said "I'd rather give money if I was going to donate anything."
"You're being selfish" she replied.
I said "Oh, before you cut it off, you should know that Locks of Love throws out all of the over-processed hair it receives."

She had absolutely nothing to say to that, but just touched her rather fried hair and my teacher who had been privy to the whole conversation said "Oberon, your hair is gorgeous, don't cut it." :D

It's kind of a funny thing to be excited about.

You gave a very good answer but you had to insist more to the fact that is better to donate money in such cases than hair. I mean that it would be better to make your (rude) friend to understand that it is not her hair, fried or not :eyebrows:, that are going to save cancer patients but the money donations who will pay for research and medicines.

Your friend was rude to you because she deeply believes that hair can save lives, ( probably with some magic way, magic campaign, magic in general).
Anyway.. Don't cut your hair for any kind of Locks of Love. You can be the same charitable with you hair on your head.

( is this just me or the whole story with Locks of Love looks similar with some Medieval ideas about self punishment in order to be saved the world??? :confused: :D)

janeytilllie
May 7th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Wonderful comment comeback! :D
And the teacher's comment was the cherry on top of the cake!:rollin:

Chrissy
May 7th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the official long hair world, lol. As far as rude unsolicited comments from people....this happens in many ways. When my oldest son was little I let him have a pacifier till he was like 2. I didn't care. It kept him happy and kept me sane. I was in a grocery store and some lady (who I didn't know) came up to my ds and took his pacifier out of his mouth and said why do you need this? What???? I gave it back to him and I forget what I said as it was like 17 yrs ago. So it's not just hair that brings these people out.

Good come back though and your hair is beautiful!!!

AuntyClaus
May 7th, 2009, 08:13 AM
You are part of a special elite now! :D Maybe you should start a club for people who have had unsolicited comments re LoL?

And the members can wear teeshirts that read:

Locks of Love?

LOL!

Carolyn
May 7th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Great come back! And :rockerdude: to the teacher for backing you up.

Torrin Paige
May 7th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Yay, it's official! You're a long hair! Nice comeback, by the way. My standard response to the donate your hair demand? "You think so? I think you should donate a kidney. After all, you only need one and the donation of your kidney would actually SAVE a life while the donation of my hair will not." They shut up pretty fast. I used to explain to them that I had already donated my hair (not to LoL, when I was 14 my friend Jess got Leukemia, lost all of her long, beautiful hair, so I cut mine off and our Home Ec teacher found a wigmaker to make Jess a wig) but I've had so many pushy people demand that I donate, that I've since gone the straight up snarky route. I'm happier for it and my mean streak is satisfied. :)

irreverent
May 7th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Oh, man. good going O! I get that all the time..."You should donate your hair to Locks of Love...bla bla bla..." My standard response has become "I don't donate body parts." You should see some of the looks I get! The only, ONLY response I've ever recieved that wasn't "um...uh..well" was "It's not part of your body." So I said, "Ok, you can have whatever's not attatched to my head and take it to LoL."
:wigtongue

JamieLeigh
May 7th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Congrats on being an official longhair!! Your hair is gorgeous, btw! :flower:

In all my years of having long hair, I had never EVER been plagued with the suggestions of donation until last fall. Since then, I get maybe 2 or 3 inquiries a month at the lowest, a couple a week at the highest. It's insane!! And I can't believe that she wasn't satisfied with you saying you'd make a monetary donation. Like hair will save lives any more than actual money for research and supplies?! What an idiot. :rolleyes:

Your response was awesome! Maybe that gave her something to think about.

spidermom
May 7th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Wow, the LOL comment. You have arrived.

florenonite
May 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
( is this just me or the whole story with Locks of Love looks similar with some Medieval ideas about self punishment in order to be saved the world??? :confused: :D)

It does seem a bit like that, eh? People grow their hair long so they can feel good when they donate it; people used to whip themselves so God would spare them from the plague, or would diminish their time in purgatory.

Welcome to the official long hair world, lol. As far as rude unsolicited comments from people....this happens in many ways. When my oldest son was little I let him have a pacifier till he was like 2. I didn't care. It kept him happy and kept me sane. I was in a grocery store and some lady (who I didn't know) came up to my ds and took his pacifier out of his mouth and said why do you need this? What???? I gave it back to him and I forget what I said as it was like 17 yrs ago. So it's not just hair that brings these people out.

Good come back though and your hair is beautiful!!!

That's abhorrently rude! I really cannot fathom why anyone would criticise anyone else's parenting skills like that. If you were running the shopping trolley into him, sure, I'd step in, but for letting him use a soother?!

Kiraela
May 7th, 2009, 10:31 AM
And the members can wear teeshirts that read:

Locks of Love?

LOL!

Haha, that was priceless!

I haven't yet had anybody throw a Locks Of Love comment my way - It may have something to do with the cultural attitude of traditionally Cajun areas, though.

Firefly
May 7th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Oh I love the kidney comeback, Torrin! Yours was good too, Oberon. Nice to have some comebacks in mind if and when the LOL comment comes. Once it does, I'll know I've arrived, too!

Pixna
May 7th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Yay!!! Good for you -- excellent comeback! Another response to consider is: "Speaking of selfishness, which body parts are you planning to donate? Eye? Ear? Hand? Big mouth?" Oh, okay, skip that last one. :smirk:

Ryanne
May 7th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Congrats on the comment :D Nice comeback!

LadyLongLocks
May 7th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Great comeback! People are so rude. She was probably jealous that your hair was better.

Forever_Sophie
May 7th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Good for you for saying that!! Your hair IS gorgeous! :)

goodluckcharm
May 7th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Go you! Nice comeback.
You're hair is beautiful!

shaybabe8604
May 7th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Haha, the comeback was great. I wish my witty comments could have such excellent timing. Unfortunately rudeness usually catches me so off guard that I'm initially speachless. I absolutely can't stand rudeness with a passion. We are all entitled to our opnions about things but forcing your own unsolicited "self-riteousness" on innocent bystanders is abhorrent.

jera
May 7th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Great comeback. Your hair is awesome. :p

Jessica Trapp
May 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I'm flabbergasted by the "you're selfish" comment. Grrr.

Maybe you could look over what they are wearing and point out "extra" items that THEY could donate...

"That's a nice watch/ring/car you have there. You should donate it."

Love the kidney comeback! :D

Pixna
May 7th, 2009, 04:49 PM
"You think so? I think you should donate a kidney. After all, you only need one and the donation of your kidney would actually SAVE a life while the donation of my hair will not."

Outstanding!! That could actually be said with sincerity, since it's true. I bet you wouldn't hear a peep from them after saying that!!

Spike
May 7th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Congratulations on your long-hair rite of passage! May the gremlin of cheese follow this silly twit around until she gets a clue. Here, I'll give him a push--:cheese:

There, that's better.

longhairedfairy
May 7th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Congratulations on your long-hair rite of passage! May the gremlin of cheese follow this silly twit around until she gets a clue. Here, I'll give him a push--:cheese:

There, that's better.

*Pees self laughing*

GlassEyes
May 7th, 2009, 06:18 PM
All I can think of after hearing that is: EPIC WIN.

Oberon88
May 7th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks everyone :D

I was very pleased with my response. I was prepared though, in a way I was expecting her to say something.
I really like the kidney comeback too, I'm going to save that one.

Arctic_Mama
May 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Great comeback! You have arrived ;)

tiamimi
May 7th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Oh my goodness. I can hardly believe I never got a LoL comment when my hair was long enough to donate. I probably will this go around though since my mom has donated and I have a cousin who is growing her hair out for the sole purpose of donating and a girl at church has also donated.
I have nothing against those who choose to donate their hair I just wish they wouldn't assume everyone should.

blondecat
May 8th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Yay, it's official! You're a long hair! Nice comeback, by the way. My standard response to the donate your hair demand? "You think so? I think you should donate a kidney. After all, you only need one and the donation of your kidney would actually SAVE a life while the donation of my hair will not." They shut up pretty fast. I used to explain to them that I had already donated my hair (not to LoL, when I was 14 my friend Jess got Leukemia, lost all of her long, beautiful hair, so I cut mine off and our Home Ec teacher found a wigmaker to make Jess a wig) but I've had so many pushy people demand that I donate, that I've since gone the straight up snarky route. I'm happier for it and my mean streak is satisfied. :)

You are a good friend, Thank You <<<<<< Hugs>>>>>>>>>

ravenreed
May 8th, 2009, 05:01 AM
See, now I have decided to go for the, "Have you donated bone marrow lately?" reply. Honestly, I think I am too snarky for anyone to actually come up to my face and say such a thing. Perhaps I radiate repressed rage and and it makes people keep such thoughts to themselves?

longhairedfairy
May 8th, 2009, 05:17 AM

OH, MY GOSH! You really are an angel!

florenonite
May 8th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I'm flabbergasted by the "you're selfish" comment. Grrr.

Maybe you could look over what they are wearing and point out "extra" items that THEY could donate...

"That's a nice watch/ring/car you have there. You should donate it."

Love the kidney comeback! :D

That's a great response! If I ever get a LoL comment I think I might respond with "you look like you take good care of yourself. Are you cultivating your liver so you can donate some of it? No? How abhorrently selfish of you!" :p

dvas
May 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Well done! Your response was perfect!

My daughter is 8 and has thick, dark brown, hip-length hair. She got the "It's beautiful! You should cut it and donate it to Locks of Love" comment from two separate people at a family gathering. My grandmother even had a response like the girl in your story, implying that she was selfish for not wanting to "help people". I stood up for my daughter and told them about LoL and how it would be more meaningful to donate money for disease cures, but I doubt it made them change their minds. It's really amazing how people buy the LoL thing hook, line and sinker! I've never in my life seen the two who made the comments suggesting helping any other organization.

florenonite
May 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Well done! Your response was perfect!

My daughter is 8 and has thick, dark brown, hip-length hair. She got the "It's beautiful! You should cut it and donate it to Locks of Love" comment from two separate people at a family gathering. My grandmother even had a response like the girl in your story, implying that she was selfish for not wanting to "help people". I stood up for my daughter and told them about LoL and how it would be more meaningful to donate money for disease cures, but I doubt it made them change their minds. It's really amazing how people buy the LoL thing hook, line and sinker! I've never in my life seen the two who made the comments suggesting helping any other organization.

That's cruel to tell a child she's being selfish! It's one thing when teens/adults who can stick up for themselves and aren't likely to be swayed by others' comments on such a thing, but with a child it's horrible!

Nyssa
May 8th, 2009, 09:17 AM
That's a great response! If I ever get a LoL comment I think I might respond with "you look like you take good care of yourself. Are you cultivating your liver so you can donate some of it? No? How abhorrently selfish of you!" :p

lol I have always thought the same thing!

Great comeback, Oberon! There are few things better than a well timed, snarky comment.

RavennaNight
May 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM
That was a great comeback!

I really am surprised that people who barely know you can easily blurt out "you're selfish." :confused: Either they are just really dumb and tactless or they think they got bawls of steel. It amazes me what people can say to people they hardly know without thinking what could happen. Oops. It's the Brooklyn/SI sensibility coming out in me again...