PDA

View Full Version : My non cut yesterday

LadyEliza
May 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM
My cousin came around for lunch yesterday. She is the only one I let cut my hair, and I thought she understood...

I said that I didn't think it needed it and I'd wait longer. She pulled out a pair of thinning scissors and said "then how about we just thin it out a bit?"

Oh boy... more education needed it seems!

LHGypsyRose
May 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Congrats on your non cut, and I am sorry that your cousin refuses to accept your wishes of not cutting.

LadyEliza
May 6th, 2009, 10:39 PM
It's not that, it's that she thinks that making hair thinner is a good thing!

SimplyLonghair
May 7th, 2009, 12:57 AM
:shocked: I know! My mom used to do the same to me!!!!! NOOOOOO! I think that they just teach it to them in school. After all they have to do something so they keep you coming back even if you don't cut. :rolleyes:

free_hug
May 7th, 2009, 02:10 AM
congrats, you're my role model at the moment ;)

enfys
May 7th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Oh dear.

I've only ever heard someone with...maybe a 5" circumference say they wanted thinner hair.
Thin hair is bad hair in most peoples eyes.

Good job you stood your ground!

Carolyn
May 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I would imagine that 99 out of 100 people would not want thinner hair. Don't let her near you with thinning shears. When I was a kid they always did that to my hair and I hated it.

MsBubbles
May 7th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Well done, Lady Eliza, for just saying no :). Why doesn't LOL take all those over-processed donations they discard and make wigs for hair stylists to just get it out of their system so they don't ruin a real person's hair?

enfys
May 7th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Well done, Lady Eliza, for just saying no :). Why doesn't LOL take all those over-processed donations they discard and make wigs for hair stylists to just get it out of their system so they don't ruin a real person's hair?

Utter legend.:D

sandigirl
May 7th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Thinning shears are horrible. They make your hair look like you have split/broken ends all over the place. My mom used to do it to me as a kid and I would scream every time. I hated it.

JamieLeigh
May 7th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Congratulations on your non cut! Maybe that can be a lesson to all those who complain about what happens in the barber's chair - DON'T GET IT CUT UNLESS YOU ARE 140% CONFIDENT THAT THE STYLIST IS GOING TO DO IT EXACTLY THE WAY YOU ASK!!!!!! :D

Kevyspen
May 7th, 2009, 09:50 AM
well done!

Alia
May 7th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Thinning shears?! Umm..why? I thought most people wanted thicker hair; at least, I've never seen a shampoo or conditioner that was marketed a a hair thinner.:confused:

Drynwhyl
May 7th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Ironic how people nag about growing out thin hair as it "looks ugly"
and then they thin it out all the time.

I used to want thinner hair, but now I wear my almost 6 inch circumreference with pride! :D

jera
May 7th, 2009, 03:12 PM
It's not that, it's that she thinks that making hair thinner is a good thing!

I agree with everyone else. I'm glad you stood your ground and refused. It's tough to do sometimes when a friend wants to fix your hair. A bad haircut just isn't worth it. Who needs friends like that anyway?:confused: Thinning scissors ought to be outlawed. :D

Morningglory
May 7th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Good for you for growing out your hair and for doing well with the texture of your natural hair. I just wanted to say it is true that:

Some people do want thinner hair!

I am a person with thin hair and I happen to like it. I don't think it is bad.

Sometimes people with thick hair have headaches and it is hot and hard to manage, it takes a long time to dry etc... that is why thinning shears were invented. Not everyone wants thick hair.

After working in a salon and having many clients with very thick long hair I was happy with the ease of my own feather light hair.

Hey to each his own.

I just saw so many comments on this tread putting down thin hair I wanted to put in my two cents.

rags
May 7th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Good for you for growing out your hair and for doing well with the texture of your natural hair. I just wanted to say it is true that:

Some people do want thinner hair!

I am a person with thin hair and I happen to like it. I don't think it is bad.

Sometimes people with thick hair have headaches and it is hot and hard to manage, it takes a long time to dry etc... that is why thinning shears were invented. Not everyone wants thick hair.

After working in a salon and having many clients with very thick long hair I was happy with the ease of my own feather light hair.

Hey to each his own.

I just saw so many comments on this tread putting down thin hair I wanted to put in my two cents.

Yes, this is the second thread lately where thin hair has been put down.....kind of bothers me too!

going gray
May 7th, 2009, 05:20 PM
My hair was always thinned out too as a kid, had SO much volume I used to go crazy with my mop. You were smart not to let her near you with those shears, what's the matter with people!

longhairedfairy
May 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Oh, my gosh! I would love for my hair to be a bit thicker! Thinning shears are so bad for your hair. Good on you for saying no.

rags
May 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I thought I should clarify my comment: I think the OP did exactly the right thing. Thinning shears are evil! Good for you!

Deborah
May 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Good for you! I'm glad you didn't feel pressured to have a cut that you don't want. As to the weird scissors, when you do want her to cut for you, just tell her you'd like her to cut with regular hair scissors, as you like the amount of thickness that you have. Should be simple. :)

girlcat36
May 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Glad you avoided the evil shears!

My mom used to take me to get my hair thinned as a child. I HATED IT. Also hated the boy-short cuts.
Now my hair is too thin. I wouldn't mind an extra inch in my ponytail!

Morningglory, I am glad you are happy with your hair, and I hope to reach that point someday, too.
Thinner hair does dry quicker and use less product.:)

LadyEliza
May 8th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Yes, this is the second thread lately where thin hair has been put down.....kind of bothers me too!

I don't think they are putting down thin hair - I know I wasn't. We are putting down the idea that someone would want to take scissors and make thick hair thin artificially.

Thing is, she has thin hair, and her mothers hair is so thin that lots of scalp can be seen and they are always saying that my hair is "lovely and thick". So wanting to make it thinner is a little weird.

But she is still the only one I'll let cut my hair, because she knows that if I say "half an inch" I mean exactly that and she will do exactly that.

SimplyLonghair
May 8th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I know that I wasn't putting down thinner hair, just artificially thinning hair.

I think that way too many just want to do "Something" to hair.

I know that when my mom did that to my sisters hair it made it unmanageable, all layered and in not a good way. But that is just my experience with it.

I do think that some people with very thick hair might want to make it less thick, but I still think that there are better ways to do so than with thinning shears. :shrug:

Morningglory
May 8th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I was just trying to say thin hair is beautiful too!

Thick hair is beautiful!

I like to see beauty in all!!!! :)

rags
May 8th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Lady Eliza, I know you weren't putting down thin hair! I'm glad you didn't let her get the shears after you! I think all kinds of hair is beautiful - thick, thin whatever.

Thick hair is beautiful, and does NOT need to be thinned, and thin hair can be beautiful too!

ETA: It wasn't your thread, Lady Eliza. Of course, you want to keep your hair's natural thickness! I apologize for the poor choice of words

LadyEliza
May 8th, 2009, 03:11 PM
No need, you were right to express your feelings. I just wanted to make sure that people understood we weren't putting down a different type of natural hair.

:)

deko
May 8th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I think thinning shears are good only when cutting bangs. My bangs look horrible if I don't thin them, but my lenght will stay as thick as it gets.

Some people look great with layered hair, I'm not one of them.