PDA

View Full Version : Length Suggestions

Longlocks3
May 6th, 2009, 10:03 PM
So I'm currently at 33'' and I don't think I could ever go shorter than my waist. So that keeping in mind, I don't know how long I want to let it go. A little part of me says longer, longer, longer but it's also a new concept. I was hoping for some peoples input about the different lenghts and pro/cons associated. Especially if your hair is that long (ex. thigh, knee, ankle) I'm interested for some input. The only issue is if I let it get a certain length I can almost never go shorter. Even now going to my waist would probably traumatize me. So if I go longer, it'll stay longer.

CindyLea1
May 6th, 2009, 10:19 PM
33 Inches! Your hair looks alot longer than that! I just had to post to tell you it is lovely. I'll be back in the morning with the rest!

akurah
May 6th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Why are you worried about it?

Just let it grow until it annoys you. Once it annoys you, cut it back to a non-annoying length. If it never annoys you? Well. :shrug:

LHGypsyRose
May 6th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I say let it grow and go from there. After all.. you won't know if you can handle it unless you try:) If it becomes enough of a pain I'm sure you won't mind cutting shorter at all, but atleast you will know what it's like.

I am also a bit nervous about going much longer than my current length. I don't know what to expect at longer lengths, and it is already becoming a pain to find up-do styles that will hold (but that is also do to the thickness of my hair). But I just figure that I am doing good thus far so why quit now. How much harder could it be to care for knee length then thigh anyway?

Just expect to possibly have to wear it up almost always if you grow past classic.

enfys
May 7th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Pros:
Pretty
Soft
Unique
Warm!

Cons:
Expensive (well, the toy collection will be)
Attention grabbing (sometimes not wanted)
Dust collector if you bend over
Depending on your routine more time consuming to wash and let dry.

Never been past classic though, about 44". I think I might try this time though.

If you don't want to cut back to a length it's because you like it. What's wrong with that. Even if you haven't experienced it to date, I'm pretty sure if it annoys you you'll find it easy to cut!

As it is you have very pretty hair, and I don't see any harm in letting it grow.

heidi w.
May 7th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Playing devil's advocate a bit:

And what is the need for making any length decision now?

Why not let it grow and discover how you feel about it along the way?

You will come to know YOUR pros/cons, and thus length of comfort.

It's hard to make a decision about something you have yet to experience. One person's con is another's pro....

OK, end of that part.

Uber long hair generally, for most days, will likely need to be worn up. It's just not overly practical: heat, wind, workaday cleaning or gardening or filing at the office....in&out of car, carrying stuff (it's always one strand somewhere running astray inconveniently).

However, with all that wearing up you can be sure it will be gorgeous and a lovely treat for others to feast upon when down.

Washing: you will likely advance to scalp washing, if not already. The longer it is, there's a tendency it takes longer to dry, depending on thickness. Scalp washing saves time.

You will develop techniques for uber long hair as you grow gradually, adjusting as you go.

Uber long hair feels reeeelllleeee good on the body! Brushing against ankles.

One guy I'm seeing, said to me, "I feel like Lady Godiva is in my house." Me? Oooo, witty me: "Wanna see me ride the horse?" You get to have fun, playful teases like that. OR stand in a window and have a friend yell out, "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair." And you do! Everyone will laugh.

Long hair when down, you will be approached. A lot. Everyone admires and most add questions. Sometimes this isn't welcome, but I make sure to be a good role model when presenting my hair publically, as likely, I will be the only one with such tresses they will meet in their lifetime and I want them to have a positive feeling about it. Questions from LoL business, to doesn't it take long to wash, to I wish I could, to are you religious, to long talks and an occasional training session. Most will compliment you somehow. In the powder room, you will hold court, I promise.

No matter how long, if you go to long hair gatherings, there's always someone longer!

It's cool to have a photo or two of yourself with uber long hair to show younger family members someday (children, neices, nephews, cousins...they'll always remember).

You can justify more hair toys! Even somewhat pricey ones. (You can now too, but...)

You'll look authentic at the Ren Faire and Sci-Fi faire. You're always in costume.

Uber long hair you will always be viewed as unique.

As you get older, fewer other women will be jealous actively and more inclined to smile and be happy for you when they see your mane enter the room.

You can look very cool in a short skirt with long hair! (Denise comes to mind! She's gorgeous!)

You will always be beautiful. You are anyway, but there will be private moments where your hair will help you feel even moreso.

Grow it uber long because you have this time, this moment, this life -- and you never know what's in store for you. At least you had it once in your life.

It's important to love ourselves, and longer tresses helps us understand this very important aspect of self-esteem.

heidi w.

DeeM
May 7th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Brilliant advice from everyone.
I can't really add any more - I'm not at ultra lengths but am keen to try!
Like you, Longlocks3, I cannot say at what length I'd say enough is enough, so I'm just going for it, but when I see pictures of other's hair that is longer, I truely admire their efforts and often 'wish' my hair was their length! Lol.

And yes, your hair does indeed look longer than 33".

JamieLeigh
May 7th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I agree with what some of the others have said: You never know how you'll like it until you try it. I didn't like knee, personally, but here I am growing it back out again. LOL. Different lengths present different sets of challenges, and different avenues of fun for each individual person. When I was at nearly-knee, I wore mine up every day because it got on my nerves something dreadful, and I hated the thought that it could get caught in/on things. However, EdG has his hair down to what.....his calves? And he says he wears it down all the time. Different strokes.

I doubt you would get super-attached to a length that gives you too much trouble. But if you do, you can always throw it up on top of your head and keep going. And growing. :)

Anje
May 7th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Echoing others, unless you're really short, your hair is definitely longer than 33" by the usual LHC measuring scheme (which is to put the measuring tape at your forehead hairline, over your head, and then find the longest ends). So mine is about 38 inches (and about 36 in the signature picture) -- I'm 5'7" with a short torso.

I'm in a similar position as you, trying to figure out how much longer I want to go now. I'm just going to cut it back to tailbone (or another longer un-annoying length) if it bothers me, and I won't cut it if it doesn't. I've achieved my minimum-happy-length, so now I'm dealing with the options of length and end thickness.

ForexGuides
May 7th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Danger! :spam: destruction in progress...

ForexGuides
May 7th, 2009, 12:37 PM
:spam: destruction zone.

heidi w.
May 7th, 2009, 12:55 PM
ForexGuides....um, what's this about skis? This is a question about hair length, and this is a long hair site, and this is the Mane Forum for long hair....

Are you trying to make an analogy of sorts?

maybe.....

To the OP:
regarding your measurement of 33 inches....I would say you're longer than 33 inches. How are you measuring?

The official way to measure is from the front forehead hairline, at center, over the head and down the back, center, to the longest length. (I see you have a V cut...) DRY hair. If there's curl, unfurl it.

Try that out and see what you come up with. And ask someone else to do this for you while you hold the measuring tape (use a measuring tape that seamstresses use, not anything stiff, OR use a string and have friend cut the string a the right point in the back, and put up to a yardstick....or roll-out tape measure) at the forehead point so it won't shift. You'll get a more accurate reading.

heidi w.

windinherhair
May 7th, 2009, 01:14 PM
33 Inches! Your hair looks alot longer than that! I just had to post to tell you it is lovely. I'll be back in the morning with the rest!

That is what I thought too! I got 33 inches when I measured my hair, and you can see my picture compared to your picture. Your hair looks longer than mine. Although my mind plays tricks on me because my hair is so layered right now, I tend to focus on looking at the shorter area's more then the longer length in the middle, and I feel like my hair is shorter then what is really is.

I haven't decided how long I want to grow my hair either. I would just like to try what comes next after the waist. Hip?

Longlocks3
May 7th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Everyone is right, I remeasured my hair the 'correct' way and it's more like 39''-40'' on my 5'9'' self. I'm pretty sure this time I'm doing it right! I do have a V cut but not by choice. When my psoriasis was really bad I lost hair on the sides in clumps, hence the shorter sides. I love the fact I just added about 6'' to my hair in 5 seconds, has to be a record right? :P

windinherhair
May 7th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Heidi w. - I really like your comment:

"because you have this time, this moment, this life -- and you never know what's in store for you. At least you had it once in your life."

Besides really loving long hair anyway, this is another reason why I like to have it long.... for the experience of it! You only live once.

windinherhair
May 7th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Wow, you are 5'9! That is something else I haven't taken into consideration. I am 5'4 and I have short legs. So that might mean I am longer waisted, and could make my hair seem shorter to my eyes.

I also measured wrong the first time. I got 29 inches are so... I know that good feeling when you measure right and get the longer length! It feels good. :-)

Euphony
May 7th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Grow it uber long because you have this time, this moment, this life -- and you never know what's in store for you. At least you had it once in your life.

It's important to love ourselves, and longer tresses helps us understand this very important aspect of self-esteem.

heidi w.
Heidi, I ♥ you

enfys
May 7th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Heidi wins today's quote with this:

Originally Posted by heidi w. View Post

I'm jealous of your record growth rate! So if you grow 1" per second on average, then you'll have the longest hair ever in...two minutes? Colour me green with jealousy.

Forever_Sophie
May 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Heidi W said it best!

going gray
May 7th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Don't have a suggestion, but just wanted to say, your hair is lovely.

Deborah
May 7th, 2009, 06:16 PM
How long you want to go is very individual. My Mum used to push me to grow my hair as long as it would grow. I realized that that was her dream, not mine, so I cut back to around tailbone, and have never wanted to go any longer than that. I find that I prefer the look and feel of hair that is around waist to tailbone. I don't like the look of hair longer or shorter, so I keep mine there. It makes me happy.

You will find the length you really like. Feel free to stay there if you like, or feel free to experiment with longer lengths. Just feel free, that's the point. Long hair is fun and pretty, and should not become a burden. If it becomes a consistent burden, you have too much hair, and you should snip back until you are happy again. That's my opinion anyway. :couch:

Your hair is quite lovely. It has rich color and wonderful shine. Good for you! :flower:

Cinnamon Hair
May 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM
The only issue is if I let it get a certain length I can almost never go shorter. Even now going to my waist would probably traumatize me. So if I go longer, it'll stay longer.

In that case, I think you should go for beyond floor length, whatever your terminal length will allow. Please post photos when you get there :D

Tangles
May 7th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Unsure if this is particularly helpful, but I really really like your hair just as is in the avatar--the U shape, the length, everything!

MadPirateBippy
May 8th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Grow for as long as it increases the joy in your heart.

Fifty-Five
May 8th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Just grow it. =3 I mean, everyone and their mother could tell you pros and cons (from their own perspective) on different lengths, but, I mean, one person could tell you it's easy to take care of knee length hair and it would look great, and someone could disagree and say the opposite. =o Just grow it. As it gets longer, you'll find out what ya like. Either that, or set yourself small goals and then decide if you wanna go longer or not after that. For example, right now you may decide to grow until you hit classic, and then decide if you want to try longer or not. =3

Xan
May 9th, 2009, 10:24 PM
wow your hair is awesome I was going to say my hair is 38" and we are close in height but yours looks so much longer. I do agree with you about the longer part grow grow grow the longer it grows the longer I want it.