PDA

View Full Version : Addiction to Washing?

LittleOrca
May 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I have a 'problem' washing my hair just about everyday. They are CO washes and I tend to sit in a hot bath with my hair soaked in conditioner before I get up and rinse it in the shower. My hair isn't really dirty or needing a wash, but it's almost a habit. I feel better when my hair is soaking in conditioner versus sitting in there with a shower cap on to make sure it doesn't get wet.

Is that strange or 'bad' of me? I know hair is most fragile when wet and washing too much can be bad, but how bad? And is it more or less bad if I am just using conditioner? Does anyone else seem to have this issue?

spidermom
May 6th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I usually do the same as you if I'm soaking in a hot bath. I need a hot soak from time to time, and my head gets all sweaty under a shower cap, so I'll want to rinse it anyway.

These days my hair gets washed or COed or water rinsed almost every single day because I work out until even the braid down my back is sweat-soaked. I smell sour if I let it dry in my hair. So far so good on the condition of my hair. Conditioner gives it plenty of moisture, plus I augment with oil.

Try not to worry; your hair is probably going to be fine with this.

theshadowpuppet
May 6th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I always have the same inclination.. especially since I have so many conditioners, all claiming to improve hair in some way... I feel like they'd help more than hurt my hair, but then there's the whole breakage when wet issue. So I really don't know. I avoid taking showers unless I'm also washing my hair, which some people may find gross. But it's not a problem for me.

Longlocks3
May 6th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I feel I need to wash my hair everyday because of psoriasis and my obsessive worry about dandruff. My hair made it this far and just until recently I used *GASP* shampoo. Now I'm doing CO washes. I think you should be fine. Just be careful brushing!

Ash
May 6th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I used to CWC every day, now I alternate between that and CO, but still washing every day. Shockingly, my hair has not fallen out, nor has it rebelled and tried to kill me. :D I do not feel clean unless all of me, including my hair is washed daily. I do not think it is a problem at all, some people have better hair by doing this.

Darkhorse1
May 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Up until I turned 31, I washed my hair every morning. I think between a combination of aging and some medications, my scalp oil has reduced enough that I can wash my hair every other day now. Also, as you age, you get lazy ;) Hahaha.

I LOVE when my hair is clean and soft and silky, but with my job/lifestyle, that doesn't stay for very long. I do have to wash more when it's hot/humid because the smell lingers in my hair/ends.(from the barn)

rose_in_bloom
May 6th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I had this problem up until a month ago. I absolutely could NOT go a single day without washing. I was addicted to the smell of shampoo/conditioner, and I was afraid of being dirty. This always happens when I get depressed. Now I S&C every other day, but I keep several CO conditioners in my bathroom so that if I get depressed and need to wash my hair every day, I just CO instead of S&C. I really don't think it's a big deal. Don't be hard on yourself! :hug:

hennaphile
May 7th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I have to wash pretty much everyday; I've had scalp issues most of my life. It HURTS if i dont :P

redneckprincess
May 7th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I can not take a shower without washing my hair, seams un-natural, sometimes (expically when I have my funky colors in) I do convince my self to skip the shampoo and only condition it with a deep conditioner.

enfys
May 7th, 2009, 05:23 AM
We worry ourselves too much sometimes. Your hair will let you know if it doesn't like being washed/wet so much.

LutraLutra
May 7th, 2009, 07:28 AM
We worry ourselves too much sometimes. Your hair will let you know if it doesn't like being washed/wet so much.
I agree. I don't think you've got an addiction to cleaning your hair, it sounds like you just really enjoy it. :)

Heidi_234
May 7th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I personally hate to wet my hair more than necessary. It helps to have a scalp that produces little sebum but still. I have a hair that gets better as more days pass from the wash (until it gets too dry on the ends, or my scalp starts to hurt, both cases force me to wash it). If you feel that your hair is better off washed than it's probably a good thing to wash it. Otherwise, well, it's your choice. Just have some perspective - regular people (as in not LHCers :lol:) may wash daily with harsh SLS shampoo and coney conditioner. So, you certainly already take better care of your hair. :)

JamieLeigh
May 7th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Well, of COURSE you're happier when your hair is wet - you're a mermaid! ;)

I don't see anything wrong with it. Like someone else said before, your hair will let you know when you're doing something wrong! :)

AJoifulNoise
May 7th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Though it appears from the outside that the general idea here is "wash less," there are many who are everyday or every other day washers (be that with CO, shampoo, etc). I'm one of them. Not only am I an oily-scalped person who is prone to dandruff if I don't at least CO daily, but I like having fresh hair every day.

I think it's just not mentioned as much because it's a fairly "main stream" idea.

There's nothing wrong with frequent washing, if that is what you choose to do.

Forever_Sophie
May 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM

ITA, if it works for you, there's no reason to change :)

Cinnamon Hair
May 7th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I'm another who washes (well, CO) daily with no ill effects. My hair seems to like the added moisture. My ends are as soft & silky as the rest of my hair, so I think that says something for daily CO washing.

goodluckcharm
May 7th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I wash my hair every other day with shampoo! shudder:
(okay, so it's sulfate free shampoo that has all kinds of yummy oils in it)
But sometimes, I'll get on a wash kick, and wash every day.

Don't worry, in my opinion as long as you're gentle with your hair while it's wet, it won't get hurt.

Spike
May 12th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Mmmmmh . . . Is your hair breaking/splitting/acting damaged?

If not, then you're probably not hurting it any. The fragile ends would be the first to speak up if your routine wasn't working.

Delilah
May 12th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I like washing my hair too much, and feel guilty about it too.
Oh well, at least we aren't dying it every month and flat-ironing it every day, right?

xoLegallyAubrey
May 12th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I am definitely addicted to washing. But, its so hot and humid outside, I can't bear not to wash. And it makes my scalp happy. =)

CWCing every day actually has improved my hair's condition, versus S&Cing. I see no problem with this if you are being gentle with your hair, and doing your best to keep it happy. :grin:

AmandaPanda
May 12th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I don't really "like" washing my scalp almost daily, but I have to due to a very oily scalp (my face gets super oily, too).

I agree that there are worse things. CO washing is gentle, so you should be fine