PDA

View Full Version : Help me with Static!

mankefam
May 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Please help me with static.....It seems like whenever I touch my hair it gets static-ie (sp?) Especially since I have been not using gel or mousse in my hair. I have been doing CO washes and trying the monistat to improve my growth.

Rosepatrice
May 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Run a fabric softener sheet down your hair in the same direction it grows.

Nyghtingale
May 6th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Yep, dryer sheet works great.

LHGypsyRose
May 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Also if you use a regular plastic comb, it can increase the static. I love my horn comb for this reason:)

I used to constantly have problems with static, and during the cold weather months it could get unbearable! So I bought a humidifier and I run it constantly in the winter. I also mix some Aubrey Organics White Camellia Conditioner together with about a half cup of distilled water in a spray bottle, and I mist my hair with this any time it is down(So long as I have already oiled my hair). Camellia oil is excellent for combating static.

MadPirateBippy
May 7th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Have a spray bottle with some water and oil in it to help tame. I also agree with the post about horn combs- I LOVE MINE!!! I can't live without it.

Flynn
May 7th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I use something metal. A metal-needle brush (after I've already finished brushing), or anything in reach, if I'm desperate. (Including, from time to time, wrapping my hair around my metal towel rail.) Seems to do the trick for me...

Have you every tried combing/brushing your hair in the dark, in front of a mirror with your normal brush/comb? The brush I was using when I was having the most problems made tiny sparks if I ran it straight down the length. I suspect that works as a test for whether the brush/comb is the primary culprit. Even if it doesn't, it looks quite cool and freaky.

heidi w.
May 7th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Are you conditioning the length enough? I see you mention CO washing, but just checking. While in the shower, leave conditioner on the hair length, coat a wide tooth comb with conditioner, and work it through the hair, gently, using the shower water to help. This helps get more conditioner to strands. IF there are chunks of hair glomped together, gently spread them and do this because otherwise the interior hair of such a ropey clump are less likely to get wet and less likely to have some conditioner on those strands. Also, when using conditioner, be sure the water is hot enough. Some people use too tepid a water temperature and conditioner works best in fairly warm water. This opens the cuticles and allows conditioner to cleave to the cortex, which is how conditioner works.

You might also like to add oiling or shea butter as a leave-in for your hair care routine. Under articles, there's a how to on oiling. Most people need some version of a leave-in, whether a store-purchased product or home recipe. You look to have fairly straight hair, so oiling will probably work for you. If you have more curl, shea butter may be better. It does take some practice and trying different ones to find the right product that will work for you.

If the ambient air is rather dry, such as running a lot of heater (we should be coming out of this in most of the US and the humidity should be more at normal levels by now), then consider using a humidifier at night while sleeping. Suzy, who possesses beautiful hair, taught me this. She lives in the South, and she uses her humidifier year round.

heidi w.