PDA

View Full Version : Cheater's Easy Hairstick Bun - for shorter hair

AngelInDisguise
May 6th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I really like the look of the 'Easy Hairstick Bun' but with not yet APL my slippery hair is way too short to manage it. In a German Forum I found a description for a cheater's version for very short hair which I now modified as my hair was getting to long for it (yes, finally, my hair is too long for a style!!!)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_lk4XH6NUpJ8/SgHJgvjYd3I/AAAAAAAAAVs/cS5RW2gdj9Y/s512/Gef%C3%A4lschter_Schlaufendutt.JPG

1. Make a half-through ponytail, creating only a small coil, approximately three fingers wide.

2a. If your hair is fairly long and is *just* too short for the real deal, take the tail, wrap it around the base and pin it with a bobbypin. You might twist the tail if you want, but it's not necessary.

2b. If however your hair is like mine still a good deal too short, then part the ponytail, wrap the right side counterclockwise and pin it in place. Take the left side and wrap it clockwise, pin it. If you wish to you can twist, I do not because I feel I can hide the elastic better.

3. Part the loop into two similar pieces, bring the loops down towards your head and fix it with a fork or a hairstick. I enter the stick in the 'hole' of one loop, slide it under the elastic and then leave through the adjacent 'hole'.

And this is what the style might look like:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5631/dsc00084wed.th.jpg (http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00084wed.jpg)

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/46/dsc00106b.th.jpg (http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00106b.jpg) http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/3808/dsc00095fri.th.jpg (http://img2.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00095fri.jpg)

If you don't have any leftover layers like I do, it supposedly looks smoother....

For very short hair just do steps 1 and 3. Do the loop so big that there is not much tail left that needs hiding. This also looks really cute and you have the possibility to wear hairsticks at an very early stage.

Hope this might be some help for other shorties out there!

Gumball
May 6th, 2009, 12:33 PM
That's just like the Split Bun but using a hair tie instead of trying to do it without one. Spiffy. :) It looks good on you, too!

ETA: It could eliminate some of the stress that the split bun can cause sometimes if it doesn't want to cooperate. Ah the simple things.

Rohele
May 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks for posting instructions - I'll be trying this one out! I've been looking for new styles for my hair, since all I can do at the moment is a french twist and stumpy braid.

Kunoichi
May 6th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I'll have to try that one. My hair is probably still too short, but it might work. Thanks :)

melrose1985
May 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
It looks really nice on you. Thank you for posting! I'll have to try this one!

theshadowpuppet
May 6th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I just tried this, except I didn't have a bobby pin, so I just wrapped the ends in under the elastic. And because I made the half pony tail fairly large, it looks kind of like a bow on me, haha.

simply_me
May 6th, 2009, 02:09 PM
This is great. Thanks for posting it.

I am definitly going to try this. I just finished posting on another thread that I keep my hair down because at its current length I cannot make a neat updo. :)

Deimos
May 6th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks for posting, I just tried it and I like it!

KajiKodomo
May 6th, 2009, 02:46 PM
That's great! I'll have to remember that one for when my hair gets longer! :D

theshadowpuppet
May 6th, 2009, 02:59 PM
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt336/pumpkin_eater/2009/bunnn.png

Hope this shows up. Excuse the webcam quality...

Spike
May 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Angel--you have the best styles for us (relative) shorties! Love your ideas!

Theshadowpuppet--webcam quality aside, the style looks great on you! Love your hair color.

Laurenji
May 6th, 2009, 04:26 PM
As soon as I saw this, I had to try it out, since my hair is still definitely too short for most buns. It's so easy! And the best part was, after I had it in, my roommate walked by and said "Wow! Your hair is super-cool!". So thanks again for posting this. :)

viking_quest
May 6th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I can't wait to try this out.

paper
May 6th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I just tryed this style and love it! Thanks!

AngelInDisguise
May 7th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I am glad you like this style - I think it gives the impression of having longer hair then one really has, probably this is one reason for liking it!

Theshadowpuppet, this looks really great. (And such a nice haircolor, by the way!)

Pixna
May 7th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Excellent!! I can't wait to try this (when I have enough hair). Thank you!!

Samitra
May 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Thank you! I wore this bun tonight, and even though my layers escaped, I like it a lot! It's easy, it's comfortable and very secure.

mugglemomof3
May 7th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Way, WAY cool bun! Thanks for posting :flowers:

theshadowpuppet
May 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Thank you, Spike and AngelInDisguise.

I've done this bun a few more times and really gotten the hang of it. It makes interesting looking waves too.

GlassEyes
May 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM
:thud:

Holy crap, I can DO this bun. O_________________O;; I CAN DO A BLOODY BUN. :cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

Akiko
May 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Wow. Very nice updo. You are so creative. I appreciate all your updo instructions, AngelInDisguise.

karisaf
May 7th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Yay! I have a Ketylo fork that has not been holding a cinnabun for me, and I have it securely in my hair with this style right now. Thanks! :)

paper
May 9th, 2009, 06:53 AM
AngelInDisguise, I love this bun! It's so easy, comfortable and holds so well. I can see myself wearing my hair like this alot!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=586&pictureid=38842

alkaliberry
May 9th, 2009, 05:28 PM
It's 00.27 here... and what am I doing? Jumping around my bedroom like a woman posessed because I can do this bun!!!! Stuff trying to sleep now...insomnia is my middle name.... I am going to get more hair sticks out and try this with them.

Brilliant bun, thanks SO MUCH for sharing!

Ade
May 9th, 2009, 09:18 PM
My hair is much too long for this, but I can do it, too! Now I have 4 different buns!

rags
May 10th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I tried this today, and it works great! Mine doesn't look like yours or paper's though.....hmmm. Regardless, it's holding wonderfully, and I left the ends out for a messy look. I like it!

Roseate
May 10th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Love this bun! My hair is APL but still too thick to go into a single cinnabun, but this is quick and easy and lets me get out my sticks again! Looks good with ends peeking out or all tucked it, very comfortable.

Laurenji
May 11th, 2009, 08:08 PM
...I've been wearing this about every other day since you posted this. I've gotten so many comments on it! Thanks :)

AngelInDisguise
May 12th, 2009, 12:05 AM
So glad you all like it!

And as Ade can wear it too, I guess that is a style I can keep as my hair grows longer - lucky, because I really do like it.

Paper, a really nice pic!

*BelievingAgain
May 12th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Oh my goodness! I am joining anyone else who is jumping and dancing around with delight - I can use a hair stick for the first time with this up-do!!!!

I am only at the beginning of my long-hair-journey, my hair is still about an inch above my collarbone, and full of random layers and not as thick as it would normally be due to some major shedding over the last couple of months.

But AngelInDisguise, THANK YOU!!! I managed to alter your instructions slightly to suit my hair's current state, and voila! I can use my beautiful NightBlooming hairstick that I recieved just today (I will post photos in the next couple of days), and this has helped me to think outside the square more, when it comes to utilising hair-ties and bobby-pins in a non-boring way, I couldn't be happier, THANK YOU!:):):)

enfys
June 11th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I missed this first time around since I don't have shorter hair but I saw it through a link in this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27310

I can do too, but if you do it with longer hair leave a bigger loop so you can wrap around the base more times with your ends and still fit the loop either side without almost snapping your stick.

How did I learn that...?

QMacrocarpa
January 20th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I'm 18 months or so late to the party, but count me in for loving this bun! It's giving me a welcome rest from struggling to make the Chinese bun work in my hair. It even stayed put for a bike ride to the hardware store under a beanie and helmet. It gave me a chuckle, too-- last night when I showed my husband my exciting new bun (getting a bit messy by that time, but still solid), he gave it a good look, then said "It's more like a wiener bun than a hamburger bun." :p

little_cherry
January 20th, 2011, 08:43 AM
The bun can also be found here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=138).

craftybunn
January 20th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Super Cool! Thanks for sharing!

MandaMom2Three
January 20th, 2011, 09:06 AM
AWESOME! I am trying this as soon as my hair dries!!!!

bunzfan
January 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM
This was the first bun i could do when my hair was just APL:)

MandaMom2Three
January 20th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I tried it and I LOVE it :D

Kaelee
January 20th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Thank for posting this! Some of my layers are barely longer than chin length, so it looks a little crazy, LOL. Maybe I can get it looking better if I try enough times.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/001-7.jpg

Shadowpuppet- your hair is incredible!

Beatrix_Kiddo
January 20th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Ahahaha, that's my bun today!!! It's the best! Quick and easy

Kaelee
January 20th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I managed to alter your instructions slightly to suit my hair's current state, and voila! I can use my beautiful NightBlooming hairstick that I recieved just today (I will post photos in the next couple of days),

Would you mind telling how you altered the instructions for another stilll-too-shorty? :D

Lil Red Vampire
January 21st, 2011, 03:21 PM
Love this bum! Thank you , thank you! Finally I can do a bum that looks right and use my chopsticks!! Yay!

Saila_
January 21st, 2011, 03:33 PM
Looks so snazzy! I can't wait to try this out. Thanks for sharing. :)

Blandine
January 21st, 2011, 05:29 PM
Yep, this is a Schlaufendutt.

Angel I know what style you are talking about. It still works with longer hair (mine is almost at hip) if you start with step 1 and 2 like in your drawings, keep the loop vertical, and then insert the fork like you described in the German forum.

carabean
January 21st, 2011, 05:51 PM
I'll add my hallelujahs to the chorus...I have been looking for a bun like this, too! Thanks so very much for sharing!

Lil Red Vampire
January 21st, 2011, 06:41 PM
Love this bum! Thank you , thank you! Finally I can do a bum that looks right and use my chopsticks!! Yay!

LMAO I said bum....

summerjade
February 8th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Thank you for posting this great style. It looks very good on you. I will try this.

2peasinapod
February 8th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Thank you for posting this. I have the opposite problem. My hair is longer, but thick, so I need even more length in order to do most styles. I also have layers that pop out of updos. Here is my attempt:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4320&pictureid=95710

Everyone elses' is much neater, but I like it anyway. This is by far the most secure bun I can do, and the only one that feels like it will stay up all day. Thank you! :flower:

haikitteh
February 8th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Hmm, this looks easy enough for even a novice like myself. I'm going to try it! Thanks for posting!

BrightEyes
February 9th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I need just a couple more inches and I can do this!!!! I did try it in a half up with a short stick and it turned out cute.

2peasinapod
February 9th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I think I found my new go-to style! I wore this all morning, and it is still comfortable (in fact, I barely feel it), and it hasn't moved a bit. It looks a lot neater than my usual styles (lazy wrap bun or looped pony). It only takes a few minutes to do (mostly pinning the tail), and it has that "how did you do that?" factor. I also have a new use for a hairstick I love but don't use often. Thank you so much!

ladylovecraft
February 25th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Eeegads! A bun I can actually use my hair sword in my BSL-ish hair! YAY!

abbatabba1137
February 26th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Wow! I'm sorry I didn't find this one sooner, cant wait to try this tomorrow!

Lianna
February 26th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I just did this today, I'm SL with lots of layers, there was about an inch of hair left, which I pinned.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa430/Lianna333/Hair/Hair%20up/Imag2292.jpg

maborosi
February 26th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Can't wait to try this out!! :D

~maborosi~

wavykisses
February 27th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Looks fabulous I might try it during the weekend
thank you so much for the instructions.

missoj
April 2nd, 2011, 06:05 AM
Will try this soon, looks great

CurlyZ
April 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM
How cute!!! Yaaay, a bun for short hair AND I can use hairsticks!
I'll try this out. Thank you soooo much for this thread!

MomOf2Gremlins
July 31st, 2011, 03:16 AM
How cool! I'll have to try this! (I only don't have any hair sticks yet... Can I just use a pencil or chop stick? *clueless*:o)

Heatherzilla
July 31st, 2011, 06:15 AM
My hair tie always gets super tangled in my hair whenever I try this. =[ I blame my curls.

Jing
July 31st, 2011, 08:32 AM
There is always a way to cheat! It'll still be months before I can do even this, but still.

DarkSky
July 31st, 2011, 07:17 PM
Thankyou so much for posting this.My hair is not short but I have lots of layers and have never been able to get a nice looking bun without it sitting awkwardly on my head. This style is perfect! I tried it and it looks so pretty. It's also versatile in that you can make it look less formal/casual if you like. Also it's nice that I can now use my cute hair sticks.

olivetime
May 11th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Looking forward to trying this when my hair dries!

emilyogini
July 14th, 2018, 03:49 PM
This is such a cute idea. I just got a stick in the mail, but it's pretty darn short! (3-4 inches) It's probably a really good size for half-up styles while I'm growing out though~ I will be wearing this "cheater" bun as a half version =D

gustavonut
July 15th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Ummm I can't seem to figure out how to do this.. I need a video of it please!

emilyogini
July 15th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Ummm I can't seem to figure out how to do this.. I need a video of it please!

The most basic of the basic: Use a hair elastic to make a ponytail, but only pull it halfway through at the end. This will make a "loop" of your hair.

*The ends (tips) of your hair may stick out. You can figure out how to pin those so they don't show (if you want to)*

Take your loop and separate it in two, right down the middle. Now you have a loop in each hand.
Pull the 2 loops away from each other--flatten them opposite of each other.

Your hairstick goes IN through the hole of one loop, goes beneath the elastic base, and OUT through the hole of the other loop.

Sounds weird, looks great.

gustavonut
July 16th, 2018, 09:20 PM
The most basic of the basic: Use a hair elastic to make a ponytail, but only pull it halfway through at the end. This will make a "loop" of your hair.

*The ends (tips) of your hair may stick out. You can figure out how to pin those so they don't show (if you want to)*

Take your loop and separate it in two, right down the middle. Now you have a loop in each hand.
Pull the 2 loops away from each other--flatten them opposite of each other.

Your hairstick goes IN through the hole of one loop, goes beneath the elastic base, and OUT through the hole of the other loop.

Sounds weird, looks great.

Instructions helped but it did not work out for me. :/

emilyogini
July 16th, 2018, 11:26 PM
Instructions helped but it did not work out for me. :/

No worries! It sort of mimics an infinity bun (almost looks like a figure eight). You may be able to do a real infinity bun, or a half-up version! Your hair might be very thick. Everyone has such different hair with different factors, but that's the beauty of it all. Room to play and explore!