PDA

View Full Version : growing out fringe

pinkprincess
April 6th, 2008, 08:04 AM
i have been trying to grow out my fringe for years and its now got to a length where i can temporarily tuck it behind my ears (which is not a way i like to wear it). but it doesnt seem to have grown in years!! is it best to clip it back or will that rip it? how should i do it? it also gets very oily, plus i think i probably touch it constantly too...

peachy.pudding
April 6th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I clipped mine back until if got to 12 inches then i started to wear it down with the rest of my hair. You will find that until you can flick it behind your shoulders then it will always be in your face. Patience is the key and working with it as it grows out.

embee
April 6th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Oooh, I remember having to do that too. It was the Slooooooest growing thing I've ever seen. I thought I'd go nuts. I did clip it back because otherwise I was going to cut it *again* to keep it out of my eyes/glasses/face/mouth/food.

My advice: clip it back, DO NOT trim it, wash it when you need to, like when you wash your face in the morning. If you clip it back you might not need to wash it so often because you won't be touching it all the time to tuck it back. Good luck. It's a slow process but it can be done, for mine is gone gone gone. My hair is now classic length, even where the fringe was! :) :) :)

pinkprincess
April 6th, 2008, 08:30 AM
it hasnt been cut in like three years and hasnt grown, but i wasnt sure if having a bobby pin thingy in it would make it split more or something
thankyou!

CherrySilver
April 6th, 2008, 11:07 AM
During this painful growing out period, I used hair bands of all types to hold my hair back. Either that, or some soft plastic clips (they don't damage as much as metal).

spidermom
April 6th, 2008, 11:13 AM
You could perhaps catch the shorter fringe hairs into an accent braid. I'm keeping my fringe, but when I want it out of the way, I braid it back.

jojo
April 6th, 2008, 04:13 PM
was just going to suggest the same as SM, i do like a french braid but just on my fringe

dukkelisa
April 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I am growing mine out. I recently discovered that pin curls are perfect for creating a wave, a curl or nice style. Before bed, I simply use wet fingers on my dry hair, and twirl into a curl and use two bobbypins crossing each other. Depending on the style of my hair (I am working on a more Edwardian look) I let the curl hang down, or swope it up into a really nice wave into my hairstyle. It's takes a minute to pincurl 1-4 curls across my forehead....and lasts all day the next day.

1nuitblanche
April 8th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I'm in this growing out stage too, and sometimes the sidebang works well for me--I'll just part my hair on one side when it's damp, then use a bobby pin to keep it there for awhile, and when I take out the bobby pin, my hair stays more or less in place. Otherwise, I'll twist it back and put my hair all in a ponytail or else french braid it.

dreamingscribe
April 8th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I use bobby pins all the time to keep my growing out bangs held back, and it has never ripped out any hair.
Another thing you could do is use a little bit of mouse or gel to keep them away from your face.

*BelievingAgain
April 9th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Soft twists and little plaits/braids back into the rest of your hair may be helpful, or a soft-fabric hair (head?) band.

My hair is short right now, but when I had a fringe with longer hair, I found that once I didn't want to actually style it as a fringe, but tucked it back into the rest of my hair with clips etc., it didn't need to be washed more than I washed the rest of my hair.

Sorry for the rambles!! HTH

Jess :flower: