PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil?

mankefam
May 6th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I have some coconut oil but I saw something at the store the other day. It was coconut oil for hair and scalp. I think it said conditioner. Directions said you just put on hair and scalp like we do with regular coconut oil. It also said it helps with growing also. Would this be good to use also?

Mangachan
May 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM
What other ingredients does it have in it? I bet the kind you saw is more expensive isn't it? I say just stick with what you have (I don't know what kind you have but I have the kind you cook with). It's cheaper less likely to have crap products in it.

mankefam
May 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I just found it....It's called Blue Magic coconut oil hair conditioner. It has Petrolatum, cocos nucifera, coconut oil and fragrance. I saw it at the dollar store.

Here is another that I saw....It's called Softee castor oil hair and scalp conditioner. Ingredients are Petrolatum,Caster oil, paraffin, mineral oil, cocos nucifera, coconut oil, simmondsia chinensis, jojoba seed oil, wheat germ oil, olive oil, safflower oil, fragrance and BHT. These are both a leave in oil like we do with the coconut oil.

swirlytresses
May 6th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I have some of it, but I'm leary of the petroleum. I think you have to use a sulfate to get it out, but I'm not sure. I would stick with regular coconut oil.

Spike
May 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Mmmmm . . . ditto on the petrolatum, mineral oil, and paraffin. You'd be essentially putting Vaseline, baby oil, and candlewax on your hair. As a leave-in treatment.

Just the thought is giving me fantods. I'd personally stick with the plain ol' coconut oil.

mankefam
May 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Ok, sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

Madame J
May 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah, petrolatum is Vaseline -- great for emergency lubrication to prevent chafing during a marathon, not so great for hair and skin. I'm pretty sure it's a by-product of oil refining. Coconut oil is so low down on the list of ingredients that they have to put fragrance in it to make it smell "natural!"

mugglemomof3
May 6th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I'll chime in again with "I'll never again use petrolatum on my hair or skin" . The coconut oil you get in the grocery stores/health food places is for cooking and is just coconut oil. Best stuff all by itself.

mankefam
May 6th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Oookkkk......sooooo, what shampoo would you use to get this out of your hair? LOL! I have been trying to do CO only and am using VO5 conditioner. What do you suggest?

Fractalsofhair
May 7th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Most shampoos will get it out! Just make sure it has Sodium Laureth Sufate in it.(SLS) Also, if you're doing CO, you'll probably want to avoid something with silicones in it in the shampoo. That's not too hard though. I find whole foods 365 brand shampoo to be great and very simple with the ingredients for an SLS shampoo. Harsh on my very dry hair, but will be great or gentle for most hair. For regular coconut oil, I think conditioner might be enough, or any shampoo.

Kirin
May 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I've used both these products and gotten them out fine with CO only with V05. You just can't slather this stuff on heavily. I've found it works better for me, and causes less break outs and problems than straight coconut oil.