PDA

View Full Version : Any advice before highlights

Kyannah
May 6th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I am currently trying to decide whether or not to highlight my hair. It has now been 1.5 years since I last got my hair highlighted and I have almost grown out the dye. I like the way my hair feels healthy now but I feel very drab with my natural hair colour. I feel it makes me look tired as I am very pale.

I know there are some people who highlight their hair and put some treatments on beforehand to limit the damage. Does anyone have any advice for me? I know there would be damage but I would like to limit it as much as possible.

ravenreed
May 6th, 2009, 04:56 AM
There is a thread here somewhere about coconut oil protecting a bit from peroxide damage. I tried it before I colored last, with some success.

I am currently trying to decide whether or not to highlight my hair. It has now been 1.5 years since I last got my hair highlighted and I have almost grown out the dye. I like the way my hair feels healthy now but I feel very drab with my natural hair colour. I feel it makes me look tired as I am very pale.

I know there are some people who highlight their hair and put some treatments on beforehand to limit the damage. Does anyone have any advice for me? I know there would be damage but I would like to limit it as much as possible.

Curlsgirl
May 6th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I don't really do anything special right before. I just overall take very good care of my hair all the time so it's as healthy as possible despite the highlighting. I don't like my drab color either and it's worth what damage I might get from it to me. It's my hair and I want to enjoy it. :D

ktani
May 6th, 2009, 08:07 AM

Have a look at the 2nd thread in my signature, below. It may help you. 23 reports out of 23, report no damage to hair and great colour with an odd root colour result in one case and lightening results with the use of coconut and argan oils. As an alternative you may want to try honey lightening, the first thread in my signature.

For the peroxide thread, start here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=233176&postcount=1). For the Honey thread, start with the first post there too, for details.

Kyannah
May 6th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks Ktani, I will have a good look through those. That is just what I'm looking for :D.

ktani
May 6th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks Ktani, I will have a good look through those. That is just what I'm looking for :D.

You are most welcome! Good luck.

Carolyn
May 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I get high lights about 3 times a year. I take the best care of my hair that I can all the time. I often do a SMT or step up the heavy overnight oilings the week before.

Madam Librarian
May 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I've been highlighting for about 10 months now. I go every 3 months or so. I don't do anything special beforehand. I even allow the stylist to shampoo and blowdry and straighten my hair while I'm there. It's not an everyday thing, ya know?

At home, I CO wash, rotating shampoo in when I need to clarify. I also try to soak in conditioner or oil for a good, long time when I can. Last weekend I soaked in coconut oil and conditioner for several hours. That particular combination seemed to work very well for me.

I'm with Curlsgirl; any damage I get is worth it for me to be happy and enjoy my hair at all stages of growing. Not everyone feels that way. Do what makes you happy.