PDA

View Full Version : Can wearing the same bun style cause damage?

janeytilllie
May 6th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Hi Everyone :waving:

Just a few quick questions :)

I have't found this on the forms so I thought I would ask :)

Can wearing the same bun style cause damage?

I have been wearing the infinity bun with hairstick nearly 99% of the time for the past three months.

I have noticed that I tend to get more splits on one side of my hair than the other. So I am wondering if wearing the same style can do this:confused:

Also is there a hair styles article section here? I would like to learn some new styles :D

I love the infinity bun because its easy to do and holds well. Are there any other easy quick buns that hold well? Any recommendations?

Thank you so much everyone :flowers:

Arctic
May 6th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Yes that indeed can cause damage. The hairs are always under stress at the same spots.
It's good to change your updos, the way you twist your hair, choose different toys and different location on the head, etc. There are many styles at the articles and more at the archives.

JamieLeigh
May 6th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Ditto to what Arctic said. Any time you're constantly pulling on the same hairs in the same way, day after day, you're opening the door for breakage and splitting. :(

janeytilllie
May 6th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Ditto to what Arctic said. Any time you're constantly pulling on the same hairs in the same way, day after day, you're opening the door for breakage and splitting. :(

:shudder: Breakage yikes! :eek:

I think this afternoon I will learn some new hair styles and buns :cheese:Maybe I will go hair shopping too :D

Thank you for your reply :flower:

janeytilllie
May 6th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Yes that indeed can cause damage. The hairs are always under stress at the same spots.
It's good to change your updos, the way you twist your hair, choose different toys and different location on the head, etc. There are many styles at the articles and more at the archives.

I never knew it could cause so much damage :( So no more infinity bun for me for a while.

I never knew that hair toys could cause the same problems either.

Well I think a afternoon dedicated to learning buns and hair shopping is in order! :cheer:

Thank you for your help :flowers:

Periwinkle
May 6th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Some styles will cause more damage than others, but wearing the same style every day isn't a good idea. It's not necessarily that it causes damage - it's just that it's the same parts of your hair which will be getting the wear so you'll have a build-up of damage in those places.

Generally, hairsticks/forks are seen to be the least damaging toys as they don't pull hair out like some clips can do.

As has been said, you can vary the way you twist (clockwise, anti-clockwise, braid first, don't twist at all), position the bun differently on your head, use different toys to hold it or try wearing different styles.

Any way you wear your hair, it will be exposed to damage of some kind. The trick is in minimising the damage and keeping it even throughout the hair, as much as possible.

janeytilllie
May 6th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Some styles will cause more damage than others, but wearing the same style every day isn't a good idea. It's not necessarily that it causes damage - it's just that it's the same parts of your hair which will be getting the wear so you'll have a build-up of damage in those places.

Generally, hairsticks/forks are seen to be the least damaging toys as they don't pull hair out like some clips can do.

As has been said, you can vary the way you twist (clockwise, anti-clockwise, braid first, don't twist at all), position the bun differently on your head, use different toys to hold it or try wearing different styles.

Any way you wear your hair, it will be exposed to damage of some kind. The trick is in minimising the damage and keeping it even throughout the hair, as much as possible.

Thank you for your wonderful advice and informative post :flowers:

Norai
May 7th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Here's the link to the hairstyles post - I have it bookmarked :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11763

I really like the Hypno-bun, it holds even better than infinity for me.

oops, just realized the hypno-bun isn't on the list that I can see! Here's the instructions link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFeNYl-OK6Q

Anje
May 7th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Just wanted to encourage you, because I also have a fairly small regular bun repetoire. Right now, in addition to the infinity bun, I like celtic knots, nautilus buns, and orchid wraps. Hope that helps a little.

janeytilllie
May 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Here's the link to the hairstyles post - I have it bookmarked :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11763

I really like the Hypno-bun, it holds even better than infinity for me.

oops, just realized the hypno-bun isn't on the list that I can see! Here's the instructions link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFeNYl-OK6Q

Thank you so much for the links! :fowers: Wow! I have realized that they are so many bun styles to choose yeah! :cheese:

I will have a go at some tomorrow :D

janeytilllie
May 7th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Just wanted to encourage you, because I also have a fairly small regular bun repetoire. Right now, in addition to the infinity bun, I like celtic knots, nautilus buns, and orchid wraps. Hope that helps a little.

Thank you :flowers: The celtic knot and orchid wraps look lovely :D I will have ago at them tomorrow :D

Thank you again :)