PDA

View Full Version : Is this brand okay?

Mangachan
May 5th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I want to use henna because of the strengthening properties. Has anyone used this brand:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/mangachan/jamila.jpg

If I simply mix up the henna with yogurt and conditioner will it still strengthen my hair even though it won't color it?

wintersun99
May 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM
That's a good brand. It will strengthen AND stain your hair. Henna will always color your hair some shade of orange-red.

lora410
May 5th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I have used that Jamilla one before. I got a nice orangish stain from it.

wintersun99
May 5th, 2009, 02:52 PM
If I simply mix up the henna with yogurt and conditioner will it still strengthen my hair even though it won't color it?

Just to re-iterate... this WILL color your hair. Henna will always color your hair. If you are looking for strengthening properties, but no color you might want to consider Cassia.

Having said that, your hair is quite dark and the Henna will probably not be that noticeable. It may glow reddish in direct sunlight.

Mangachan
May 5th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Okay thanks. I've heard of some brands (like Rainbow) that aren't good, just wanted to make sure I'm getting the right thing.:) I'll try it even though it'll leave some color.

One more question, I've heard of people adding coffee to make the color darker...does that actually work?

bigeyedgirl829
May 5th, 2009, 04:04 PM
The only thing I've heard of to make the henna stain darker is indigo. I've used that one before on my dark black hair it only left red highlights. I loved it =). Good luck.

wintersun99
May 5th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Okay thanks. I've heard of some brands (like Rainbow) that aren't good, just wanted to make sure I'm getting the right thing.:) I'll try it even though it'll leave some color.

One more question, I've heard of people adding coffee to make the color darker...does that actually work?

Not really. It gave me a caffeine rush though. You may want to try adding heat. Blow dryer, heat cap, etc. I've always found that darkens and deepens the henna color. Also, leave it on for as long as you can, 4 hours at least. That should push it darker and less orange.

Fractalsofhair
May 5th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Doesn't Cassia leave a yellow tinge on light colored hair? I've also heard of the coffee, but I think it's like tea, you've got to use it daily for a while. No clue about the brand, but henna seems a cool way to dye hair.

Mangachan
May 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Not really. It gave me a caffeine rush though. You may want to try adding heat. Blow dryer, heat cap, etc. I've always found that darkens and deepens the henna color. Also, leave it on for as long as you can, 4 hours at least. That should push it darker and less orange.

Wow, that's good to know! I'm so excited to try this:bounce:

Mangachan
May 5th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Doesn't Cassia leave a yellow tinge on light colored hair? I've also heard of the coffee, but I think it's like tea, you've got to use it daily for a while. No clue about the brand, but henna seems a cool way to dye hair.

Yes, it does color light hair. The results of that sound interesting, I think I'll head to the cassia threads to see what it looks like.

I don't know why anyone would get box dye after learning about henna.

Fractalsofhair
May 5th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure either, at least for the natural colors. I want to get a blue, but I'm not quite sure how to get that naturally, I think I'm going to post something about that!

lambhair
May 6th, 2009, 02:08 PM
What is the base color of your hair? If you want blue shades, do a search for indigo, though the color you end up with depends a lot on what you start with. Many people use it on top of a fresh henna application to get deep blue black colors...but look around and search to see what you like.
Hope that helps!

Fractalsofhair
May 6th, 2009, 04:15 PM
The base color of my hair is a silvery blonde shade, very light. Part of it is damaged with bleach(attempted to dye it a golden blonde) and the rest is natural. I'll take a look and see if there's anyone with my hair color who's gotten a blue.

Nyghtingale
May 6th, 2009, 08:53 PM
That's the brand that I use. I get it cheap from here:
http://www.halalco.com/henna.html

hennaphile
May 6th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Jamila is a very high quality henna used for tattooes, so it does wonders on the hair. I've used it several times.