PDA

View Full Version : Choosing between two hair textures

Jae6
May 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I can't believe I'm stressing about something like this, but I have to admit I'm a little vain when it comes to my hair (gave up being vain about my skin years ago LOL). This debate has been going on in my head for several years now. Might as well address it now, right? =)

When my hair is long (i.e. now), it looks best when worn wavy. Oddly enough, even though I'm asian, I don't look as good with straighter hair. However, when I take care of my hair wavy, it's counterproductive.

Examples:
-I have to leave it down, or else I lose the curl pattern. But if I leave it down all the time, my hair will get damaged from getting caught on things, from the wind whipping it, etc
-My hair loves oiling, but I haven't figured out a way to oil my hair w/o pulling the curl pattern out.

What would you do? Is there a happy medium I'm not finding that you can show me? TIA! =)

Iylivarae
May 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM
If you wear it up, you won't really notice if it is wavy or not. :)

I'd suggest you wear your hair down on the day after washing (or the washing day, if you like), and wear it up the following days. You could oil on the days you wear it up, then it doesn't matter if the hair is wavy or not.

KajiKodomo
May 5th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I second Iylivarae's suggestion. :D

Jae6
May 6th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks, guys. I just realized I forgot to mention that I normally wear it up in a bun because of work, so that also doesn't help my cause. (It did help my cause these past couple of years because I forgot about it and now I've reached my goal!) I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it? =)

I will try to oil my hair more, which is something I haven't done consistently, and I've been eyeing that camellia oil thread for awhile now, so....oh, what about misting? I forget to do this, but that might also help my cause, yes? (my hair + moisture = tighter wave)

Thanks again! =)

Iylivarae
May 6th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Yes, misting might help you to get more waves, at least if you let the hair dry in the bun. For me, it doesn't stay wavy if I take the bun out when the hair is still wet.

It can also be that your hair doesn't like oil, so if it feels healthy now, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. I almost never oil, just because I forget to take the oil bottle to the bathroom with me, and I don't like to work with oil on my wooden floor, I think it could cause bad stains.

jahof45
May 6th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Well, I've read that some members only oil the night before they wash their hair.

teela1978
May 6th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I think that as a wavy, it's not so much about choosing one hair texture as enjoying both. If I try for waves I get about a day, which is nice. After that it's straight. I'm okay with that.