PDA

View Full Version : Aloe barbadensis prep?

SleepySin
May 4th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I've noticed that there is a good bit going around about using aloe vera (A. barbadensis) gel/juice for hair and I was wondering if anyone else here prepares it fresh from the plant?

I have quite a few Aloe barbadensis plants around my home and I've used it a couple of times for my hair. I can't tell for sure if it's helping my strands any because I usually mix it with either catnip or rosemary rinses. My problem is that if I simply scrape the insides of the leaves into a container, when I apply it to my hair, the gooey blobs sometimes don't rinse out completely.. Leaving me with booger like pieces in my hair (not so flattering..) :whistle:

Either way, if you do make your own fresh preparations of it from the plant, how do you it?

marialena
May 5th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I have found this recipes for making aloe vera gel but I haven't tried them yet. :)

http://www.hair-and-beauty-tips.com/recipe-for-homemade-aloe-vera-gel.html

SleepySin
May 5th, 2009, 10:29 AM
It doesn't really explain much about how to handle the goopy-ness of aloe vera gel but the site overall has lots of things I want to try. Thanks for the link :)

Moonstruck
May 5th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Maybe you can try straining it (maybe even through something as fine as like a muslin cloth)?

That night cream sounds rather pleasant, mm.

talervo
October 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
When I make the defrizz spray I strain it through a fine seed sprouting lid. Since the liquid is so goopy it keeps the chunks out, but it takes a while to move through. This way I can squish it and get the most liquid out of it, too.

I've manage to get 4 tbs of the liquid/gel out of one large leaf this way. I usually just throw away the chunks. (I guess you could eat them?)