PDA

View Full Version : I love/hate/love/hate this updo

LittleOrca
May 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I spent the better part of an hour attempting to do this style, undo it comb it, redo it, undo it, comb it, and redo it again before I got to where this picture was taken.

The style is "Stardust" located here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=80). I used it because I had a goal of putting my hair up in different styles for my once a week class this term.

Hopefully, when I do this style a few more times I will get the hang of it and I wont hate it as much as I do at the moment. :flamed:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2945&pictureid=38383

Silverlox
May 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I hear your frustration! :grouphug: Been there, done that. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to compliment you for sticking with it, despite the problems. :D

The result is absolutely gorgeous! :inlove:
Despite the time and frustration, it sure looks worth while! :flowers:

plainjanegirl
May 4th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Well as much as you may hate it - it looks great.

AJoifulNoise
May 4th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I, too, understand the frustration of trying to learn a new 'do. But, for what it's worth, that is gorgeous! :inlove:

Nynaeve
May 4th, 2009, 05:08 PM
That looks like exactly (by which I mean result, not full method) what I did yesterday! Only the pony loop at the bottom was in braids.

It's annoying as :justy: to do it, but you certainly wear it well and pulled it off very well! Good job. :)

embee
May 4th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I think it looks pretty good. I can't do that, my hair is too thin. When I do that "through the ponytail" move, there's just this tiny little bit of a twist. If I try to work from the front and *then* do the pony, it's two little hair-worm thingys. :( Sigh....

Your hair is a great color, did you know that? ;)

Demetrue
May 4th, 2009, 05:34 PM
ooooh - it looks gorgeous on you, especially with your hair color and the celtic clasp. I just tried a faux version of this since my hair is too short to wind around the loop-tail. I used a scrunchie that is the exact same color of my hair to fasten the loop-tail and it is holding - yay!

Silver & Gold
May 4th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hey, I'm a big fan of stick-to-it-iveness. You ultimately did a fine job and the good thing is, the more you practice the better you get and the faster you are able to do it. It's just a bit of training the hands and fingers.

Great job!

spidermom
May 4th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I'm like this with Heidi braids. They really suit me, but most of the time I can't get them pinned in and have them stay for more than about 15 minutes. So frustrating!

Hairtada
May 4th, 2009, 06:31 PM
It looks great!
I admire anyone that can do something behind their back on the back of their head and make it look good .I am not that coordinated. Always messy. Oh well.
Yours looks very nice and I also love your hair color.

coppercurls
May 4th, 2009, 08:36 PM
That up do is just beautiful!

Bubbleguppy
May 4th, 2009, 08:38 PM
That looks really good! I love the clip :D

UncommonTart
May 4th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Well, all the re-do's certainly appear to have paid off- your hair looks lovely! I love that updo, even if I do have a lot of touble with it myself. I also really like your addition of the clip. It's a nice touch and it looks very "finished."

lizzyjo
May 4th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I just did that updo today for the first time! The hardest part for me was securing the end of the tail with bobby pins. I'm afraid they'll fall out! I wonder if there's an easier way.

patience
May 4th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Beautiful updo. Looks great!

I know what style I'll be trying tomorrow.:)

KajiKodomo
May 5th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I love it! It's gorgeous! :D

AutumnLeaves
May 5th, 2009, 08:45 AM
What a gorgeous style and I think you did a fantastic job, frustrating as it is to have to keep doing and undoing to get it workable. Hopefully it becomes a piece of cake because that is surely a keeper!

Rhea
May 5th, 2009, 09:58 AM
It`s looking very nice !

RedStripe
May 5th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Looks cool. I've never seen this style before -- now I want to try it.

Periwinkle
May 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM
That's a lovely barrette you've got there. Your hair is a really unusual colour as well :)

euphrasyne
May 5th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Beautiful!

I've worn a similar style for years.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3646/3485658397_d9f7f5b6f6.jpg?v=0

I can tell you from experience that the side twists stay up best when I do it this way:
Twist away from body. Twist next piece and bring up and over then drop behind 1st piece. Add more hair to 1st piece and continue to twist away from body then bring up and behind 2nd......

It has more of a rolled look than the stardust instructions, but it is my standard wedding/funeral/important meeting style and it usually stays put for 8-10 hours.

cheryl

Forever_Sophie
May 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Cute! I love it :)

Euphony
May 5th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Oooooo I really like it! Kudos for sticking to it!

BTW I have that exact barrette - I had adored it until I got the bright idea of trying to put all my hair into it. It snapped after about 2 minutes <sigh> - it's sitting in my 'toy box' waiting for hubby to fix it.

viking_quest
May 5th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Even though you love/hate it, I did you did an amazing job with that hairstyle. It looks really good.

swirlytresses
May 5th, 2009, 04:43 PM
:) I think it turned out lovely.

marialena
May 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Congratulations!! You have done this updo incredibly well. I saw the instructions and I doubt if I will ever manage to do it like this.

In any case is a wonderful and so romantic updo. ! ( I wish I could do it too.. but I caaaaaaaaan't :)

Themyst
May 5th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks for posting that. You've given me the inspiration to try it! I haven't worn a 'hairstyle' ... ever, I think. That one looks really nice.

sagebabies
May 5th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I think it looks wonderful! Good job sticking to it, too!

JamieLeigh
May 6th, 2009, 08:49 AM
That is so pretty! And your Celtic knot hairtoy just makes it look even more unusual. :D I love it!! And I think you did a fantastic job on the one in your OP photo.

I know what you mean, though. It's frustrating when you feel like you can't do something right. It's the same way with my Chinese bun. I hate it on myself, but I love it on everyone else. For some reason, I just can't get it to look well enough to my satisfaction. :rolleyes: