PDA

View Full Version : Question for no 'poo-ers

muuserid
May 4th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Hello all!

This is perhaps a dumb question, but I have not been able to find an adequate answer on the forum: can you still use styling product if you are no 'poo? I'm thinking about no poo, but once a week or so I like to use conventional styling gels/mouse to heat style my hair. Does CO, WO, or baking soda effectively cleanse the hair of these products, or is product something I must eschew if I want to go poo-less? If the latter, then maybe I would just do shampoo post-styling days?

Thanks for your help!

PhillyGirl1978@
May 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM
You can use product as long as it has stuff in it that can be removed without sulfate shampoo. I have been co-washing & etc for about 4 years now. I just stay away from cone's, mineral oil, petroleum. I have found gels that have pretty natural ingredients in them that work but now I can get by with just conditioner and AVG as styling product.

jera
May 5th, 2009, 01:41 AM
CO works fine for me and removes product buildup too. I don't add much of anything to my hair but do use a dab of gel in front daily. It washes out just fine and doesn't require any special rinses though I am partial to rosemary water rinses. :)

Tap Dancer
May 5th, 2009, 06:37 AM
This is perhaps a dumb question, but I have not been able to find an adequate answer on the forum: can you still use styling product if you are no 'poo?

Sure, you can. :) Conditioner isn't as harsh as shampoo, but it cleanses very well.

MissTamora
May 5th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I'm one of those - my hair naturally is very very frizzy (black heritage :() so I like to heat style it and use a mousse to smooth it out. I'm worried about the effects tey might have on my hair, but then again, there's not much point in me growing my hair really long if it's just going to look like a giant frizzball, so I gotta mousse it up! I'm guessing it won' be too bad as long as you do actually wash it in one way or another.

Rohele
May 5th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I CO wash, and also use product (cone free). If it is something that is water soluble it's not a problem. Products that contain cones are harder to remove (and for the most part, not water soluble). I do get some buildup (wether from product or conditioner itself I'm not sure, so I throw in the occasional shampoo - about once a month or so).

muuserid
May 6th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks everyone. I guess I just need to give it a shot, huh? I don't even use product that often, so it shouldn't be so bad if I find I do need to shampoo it out.