PDA

View Full Version : Tips for root lift?

Samikha
May 4th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I never used to have this problem, so I find myself at a complete loss trying to deal with it.

As my hair gets longer, the weight is pulling it flatter on top. I don't think I'd mind this much if it wasn't for the fact that it still fluffs up further down:rolleyes:

Anyone got any tips for giving it a bit of bounce from the roots again? I know I could blowdry upside down etc, but I am incompetent with a blowdryer (I don't even own one) and dead scared of damage. Is there perhaps a particular updo to wear as it dries, or should I just resign myself to a flat-haired existence?

BlndeInDisguise
May 4th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Something that I've found helps is, other than drying it after I wash it, is to not touch it. Don't comb, or any sort of detangling.

I'm also beginning to wonder if ACV doesn't take away some of my volume on top.

minkstole
May 4th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I find that shaking my head upside down and from side to side when the hair is wet gives a little lift. Also, a not so tight bun on top of the head gives decent waves/fullness all the way down. Hope that helps.

helen2806
May 4th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I usually wear my hair in a bun right on top of my head at night and end up with a lot of volume when I take it down in the morning - this is with dry hair so maybe doing it with damp hair would be even more effective?

Nightshade
May 4th, 2009, 02:44 PM
There was a method in the Curly Girl book that works well. It's hard to explain, and I don't have a pic of it :(

essentially you took bits of hair from either side of your part and crossed them over and clipped them.

Samikha
May 4th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I hope it isn't ACV that is the culprit, I can't give it up :bigeyes:

Nightshade, do you mean this (http://ylcf.org/gotcurl/curlyclipping.htm)? I gave that a try once or twice, but I didn't see much of an effect. Maybe it would help if I actually let them stay in there until the hair was completely dry, rather than abandoning it halfway through?;)

I'll try bunning my hair at night and shaking it around a bit. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Nightshade
May 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Nightshade, do you mean this (http://ylcf.org/gotcurl/curlyclipping.htm)? I gave that a try once or twice, but I didn't see much of an effect. Maybe it would help if I actually let them stay in there until the hair was completely dry, rather than abandoning it halfway through?;)

I'll try bunning my hair at night and shaking it around a bit. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

haha! Yes! that's it :)

I also have luck with doing something similar to my updo lift article and letting that dry.

plainjanegirl
May 4th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I wish I had an answer cause I am flat haired on top too, oh well I try not to let it bother me. But I will watch this thread.

muuserid
May 4th, 2009, 03:18 PM
If I have time and am staying indoors after a wash, I will wrap 2 or 3 sections of hair around large velcro rollers. This works pretty well for some lift at the roots.

kdaniels8811
May 4th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Nightshade wrote an article that I use with my updo's daily. It works great on my thin, fine hair. Look under article number 87 - "Gentle Lift/Volume for Updos". I leave my hair pinned even with the bun and it keeps it "fluffy" in front.

getoffmyskittle
May 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I always comb my hair out upside down after washing. This separates the hair a lot and lets it dry more easily, as well as giving me decent root lift. If I don't do this, it basically sticks to my scalp at the top, while being wavy and fluffy further down. Not cute. :lol: