PDA

View Full Version : Thinner hair after bleach disaster

punkgirl89
May 4th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I had a bad bleach job in Febuary right before joining LHC and I haven't cut or used chemical dye on my hair since. However, it seems to be growing a little bit thinner than it used to. :(

Is this reparable? I got hair vitamins today and plan to start using henna every month when I get back to the states. I am hoping this will help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

marialena
May 4th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I had a bad bleach job in Febuary right before joining LHC and I haven't cut or used chemical dye on my hair since. However, it seems to be growing a little bit thinner than it used to. :(

Is this reparable? I got hair vitamins today and plan to start using henna every month when I get back to the states. I am hoping this will help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm afraid that you have to wait a little before using henna. If you use it on your bleached hair is going to make them orange so it would be better to wait for some months.

In the mid time it would be good to moisturize well your hair, with oils and other recipes that you are going to find here, and try to avoid any blow drying, ironing and such things because they are going to make the damage bigger.

Your hair will grow thicker soon but you have to wait them to get longer as well.

So be patient and things are going to get better. :)

Rohele
May 4th, 2009, 12:06 PM
It might be breakage... If it is you can't repair it, only try to prevent it from happening as much.

The henna sounds like it might help, from what I've read about it here (but I don't use it myself).

If it were me I would probably really baby the bleached parts with lots of moisture, maybe a protein treatment if you think it needs it (I used protein treatments a while a go when my hair had lots of breakage, and it did help to a point). Wear it up and protected if it is long enough to yet...

wintersun99
May 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I would agree with protein treatments. Do them often, until you return to the States and once you get back here, look into henna or cassia. :)

jera
May 4th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Is the damage to your hair or to your scalp? If it's merely a hair breakage issue it's reparable. :) If it's a scalp issue ( like chemical burning from the dye mixture ) that's more serious.

kakaa
May 4th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Don't worry, if you didn't have chemical burns, it will grow back. I had chemical burns on my scalp from 40 vol peroxide and bleach (they looked like scabs) and the hair grew back just fine (I have pretty resilient hair, thank God).
Bleach can burn hair right at the scalp and "eat away" at your hair strands so it just looks thinner but it will grow back, dont worry. Pamper you scalp wit olive, coconut and castor oil and you'll be OK.
My mom told me (she's 60 now) that when she was young they used a different type of bleach - basically just ammonia and peroxide. She said that she would always get big patches of dandruff just flaking of the scalp but she kept her hair platinum for quite a while. She had also gone through chemotherapy few years ago and she still has the thickest curly salt and pepper hair I have ever seen - no bald spots in spite of everything.