PDA

View Full Version : Messy buns?

NebraskaChick84
May 4th, 2009, 12:49 PM
this is going to sound really dumb, but what do messy buns look like? do you need a hairstick to achieve this look? I am confused because if I do a bun any other way then perfectly, it doesn't stay up. Just trying to loosen up a bit and see if I can live with the layers after all.:cheese:

hazelnut
May 4th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Most of the messy buns I've seen don't include using a hairstick, but I suppose you could use one if you wish. :) Most people use scrunchies.

JamieLeigh
May 6th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Whatever bun your hair is long enough for can be "messied" (yeah, I invented a word...what?! :pinktongue: ) by letting a few strands dangle, or letting the last couple of inches of your length free - instead of tucking them in like a normal bun. And if you think it looks stupid, try something else. Everything hair-related is trial-and-error, and you've got to spend a little time to figure things out, unfortunately.

And no, as the poster above me also pointed out, scrunchies can be used to make messy buns too. I do it both ways. :)

Bubbleguppy
May 6th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I usually do a messy bun with just a hair tie :)

Madame J
May 6th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I saw a girl with a really cool hair-elastic-messy-bun yesterday on the bus. She must have bunned, and wrapped it with the hair tie quickly because it was in the process of falling out, but somehow stable. It looked like a donut of hair with one strand dangling out, like it was melting.... so cool.

SheWolf
May 6th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I do mine with a Flexi. Gather your hair in a loose ponytail, twist as you would for any bun, the layers will cause strands to fall apart, leave those as is. Secure with the Flexi. You can do them low, mid or high up on the head.
I like high up because since my hair has layers the longest strands are underneath in the back, so I get more control over which strands I want out or in the bun.
It takes under one minute to do... even for a klutz monster like me!

florenonite
May 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I used to do one with an elastic, essentially like doing a ponytail but not pulling the tail all the way through, but I suspect it causes breakage, so I've stopped.

Bubbleguppy
May 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Florenonite, that's how I do my messy buns :)

Roseate
May 6th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Article with pictures and instructions for 19 different messy buns. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=129)

Many messy buns don't work super well for me; since my hair is coarse the ends stick directly out until they get a very long way away from my head, instead of flopping over gracefully like I see other folks' hair doing. I do one with a hair-tie for the gym.

Drynwhyl
May 6th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I used to do one with an elastic, essentially like doing a ponytail but not pulling the tail all the way through, but I suspect it causes breakage, so I've stopped.

It used to be my favourite style, but I can't do it anymore, it's gotten too long :P
Well tehnicaly I can, but it gets matted and I think it is rather damaging for longer hair ;S

Dorothea
May 6th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks for that link, Roseate. I've never had much luck with messy buns but maybe this will help once my hair is long again.