PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of yellowness in hair?

Exodus
May 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Ok, yellowness is probably not a word, but I didn't know what else to use as description.
So thing is, last summer my hair somehow got a little lighter in the sun. Just a little lighter, not more yellow. But over the winter the lightened parts of my turned yellower. Maybe a little darker too, I don't know. But there is a yellow cast to my hair and I don't like it. It makes the colour of my hair kind of warmer, which isn't good and it looks dirty. So is there any way to fix this? I don't want to dye my hair, I just want to get rid of that yellowness.

And it is only the parts of my hair that was lightened by the sun that is yellower now, the new growth is as it should be.

kakaa
May 4th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Get a purple shampoo - you know, the ones made for light blonde and gray hair. These shampoos are a dark violet colour: violet cancels out yellow and that's it. Don't be afraid to try it, it's just a shampoo. They usualy have the word "silver" in the title.

curls2grow
May 4th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I CO wash, so I use conditioners for silver hair, or to help blonde hair stay blonder (gray is the new blonde, right? :D ) I find the conditioners drying, but I always use a leave-in to help with detangling anyway, so that helps with the dryness.

I've used Aveda Blue Malva and Silver Fox. I think I like the Aveda a bit better, even though it's more expensive. I only use these every 4-6 weeks, to perk up the silver/gray/white in my hair.

I've read that DevaCurl's Deva Blonde is good for helping to get rid of yellowness, and it's on my list to purchase after I use up one of the others. Davine's is another conditioner that I think is for silver and/or blonde hair. Also on my list, but it's also pricey.

Silverlox
May 4th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I second the suggestion of using a blue/purple shampoo. It won't leave any bluish/purplish colour in your hair, simply neutralise some of the yellowness. :flower:

Missie
May 5th, 2009, 03:18 AM
hi Exodus,
are you using Apple Cider Vinegar rinses ?
I have a suspicion that ACV is making my hair yellower.. its more noticeable on the length and the canopy..

Exodus
May 5th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Oh, I had forgot about those shampoos. I actually tried a silver shampoo (or whatever they are called) a few years ago after a little dye removing disaster.. I don't remember though if it helped... Could try it out again...

Missie: Nope, no acv, I don't do that much natural stuff, not my thing..

ktani
May 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM
You may want to try some club soda on your hair. It contains a bit of baking soda but it is still acidic and may just help to do what you want, remove some of the yellow cast to your hair.

curls2grow
June 23rd, 2009, 08:40 PM
Does anyone know if adding honey to one of the blue conditioners will help make it more moisturizing for my hair?

I used Aveda Blue Malva conditioner yesterday and it caused my hair to look very dry and frizzy. Whitened up the gray very nicely though! So I was hoping that throwing some honey in the mix might give me better conditioning along with the whitening benefit of the product. But honey is sort of yellow/gold and I'm trying to reduce the yellowing after all .... :confused: Has anyone tried a mixture like this? Any suggestions on how much to add to approx. a palmful of purple conditioner?

I run into this dry/frizz situation with Silver Fox brand conditioner also. I am getting some Davines in a swap. I think it might be the nature of the purple conditioner beast. :cool:

Charlotte
June 23rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
Mmmm... my older dyed blonde hair is considerably yellower than the newer dyed stuff. It just seems to go "off" colour wise. I'm not too worried about it though as it all seems to blend in eventually. (Currently not highlighting anymore and have two inches of virgin dark blonde growth.) If it's really bothering you, that blue toned shampoo will tone it down a bit or you can also get a leave in "mend the ends" type of conditioner/treatment with blue toner in it.

redneckprincess
June 23rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
I have the same problem but mine is from a manic panic color I put on a couple months ago you could try a clarifying gel like a malibu maybe? it could be rust in your water...

neema
June 23rd, 2009, 11:55 PM
curls2 grow,

I just want to say your hair color and curl is beautiful. I'm struggling to stay gray, and your photo is inspiring me to do so. Yellowing is a big fear of mine. Nice to be able to correct that. Thanks for the suggestions.

Katze
June 24th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I posted about this last summer - there is no natural product that will do this, but blue/purple/silver shampoos and conditioners (as listed above) will help.

Cutting off the bleached, brassy hair is the best way to go. Mine happened whenever I lightened my hair - the orange pigment remained and I could never go ash, only gold.

Lilac manic panic (or a similar product) or a temporary grey or lilac rinse (like old ladies use) will also do the trick, though the colors can look very dull.

Here is the thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11362&highlight=Drab

Paper Moon
June 24th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Lush has a really lovely violet leaf shampoo that's very popular for removing brassy gray and yellows. I use it and I'm a brunette! It really feels lovely and makes my hair sparkle. It can feel a bit "cleansing" so it wouldn't be best for everday if your hair is on the dryer side.

http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/hair/bottled-shampoos/daddyo

curls2grow
June 24th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Thank you, neema! Hang in there with growing in your gray. Dealing with the yellowing is minor if you stay on top of it. I do the blue CO washes as preventative; I haven't seen any major yellowing but I like keeping the white and silver as bright as possible early on.

So has anyone tried adding honey to any of the blue/purple conditioners to make them less drying? I CO wash only and I know these conditioner products work well for keeping yellow at bay with just infrequent use for me. I guess I will give the honey a try next time. Now I just have to figure how much to add. :)

Fractalsofhair
June 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Manic panic in shocking blue can easily be diluted into a regular rich conditioner(Or a lilac color). I did this upon the occasions when I used to use it(before my darn allergies!), and it did brighten up the color. Shocking blue fades to my natural color, abit a teensy bit more gray, as it fades. They do sell toners at beauty stores, and you really only need to use a color rinse every few weeks, not daily, so if it's a little drying, it's not the end of the world. Hopefully it won't be though!