PDA

View Full Version : Long hair on women over 40...

Jessica Trapp
May 4th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I put this link in another thread, but I wanted to post it by itself.

Check out how many have long hair in the 40 "hotties" over 40:

http://www.foxnews.com/photoessay/0,4644,5952,00.html

Pixna
May 4th, 2009, 08:44 AM
They sure do look fabulous -- almost all of them have long hair, too!

Furiana
May 4th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Oh, how cool! The first one even has silver roots with colored ends! :inlove:

wintersun99
May 4th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I've always loved Demi's hair... but I must protest (her hubby is not in his 20's anymore) c'mon Fox! Stop being so scandalized. :D

JamieLeigh
May 4th, 2009, 09:37 AM
See? It's a case in point. Women over 40 look hotter with long hair! :D

morningstar
May 4th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks Jessica I looked at the entire list of hot women. :disco: :cheer:
I am turning 45 this summer and hot or not I look better now than I did at 35. :D

We all need to feel great about our selves and become women that live vibrant energetic lives that do not feel the need to let looks and bodies go just because we are not 20 something. Being beautiful is timeless. Thanks for this thread. :flowers:

Fethenwen
May 4th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Most of them have had quite a lot of plastic surgery. But yes, they look nice, and their hair.
And I agree that one can look better when one gets older. It's all about how well you are feeling on the inside... well not all about that, but for the most part :D

Unofficial_Rose
May 4th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Thankyou, this cheers me up and makes me feel that 45 is not "past it" (whatever "it" is).

By the way I LOVED your comment on another thread that you were going to grow enough hair to double as a bathing suit! :rollin:

Pixna
May 4th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Most of them have had quite a lot of plastic surgery.

LOL! Thank you for mentioning that. I feel a lot better now!!! :redgrin:

Sunshine69
May 4th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I'm about to turn 40 this summer, and I have no plans to cut my hair :)

learnthenLive!
May 4th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I'm fixing to be 43 and I have long hair. All but one of my sisters has long hair and they are older than me. They look younger with long hair. I remember them in the 70's with their long hair. They wouldn't look like themselves without it.

LutraLutra
May 4th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I'll be 35 next month, and it's taken me nearly two years to get this far from very short pixie. By the time I hit 40 I hope to have really long hair, and I don't plan in chopping it off for anyone. You grow girl. :)

ravenreed
May 4th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I am looking at 40 in November and I have no plans to cut my hair any time soon. I think age dictating what one should do with one's hair is a very victorian concept. Honestly, I intend to be the the little old lady with a pierced nose and funky colored hair.

kakaa
May 4th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I think that women look younger with longer hair. Those "helmet" type, curly, brightly dyed hairdos are very aging IMHO

kdaniels8811
May 4th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I am fifty something and am going for waist. I will have long hair all my life, the heck with the notion you have to cut it short. Keep growing!

Sunshine69
May 4th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I think that women look younger with longer hair. Those "helmet" type, curly, brightly dyed hairdos are very aging IMHO

Women around my age seem to be partial to the layered bob and blonde highlights to "camouflage" the grey... almost as if it's part of a uniform. Very boring. The other night we went to the ballet, and it seemed like the autitorium was packed with women who all went to the same hair stylist. They all had these blonde helmet hairdos.

spidermom
May 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Nothing says "old" to me like the typical "over-40" style.

On the other hand, I was ready to take the hedge clipper to mine today.

DaveDecker
May 4th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Put the hedge clippers down and take a step back! :eek:

40+ celebs, okay... but there are a large number of 40+ hotties right here at the LHC. :)

Curlsgirl
May 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I only started growing mine out at 45. Now, I get more compliments on my hair than I ever have in my life and I am 49. That tells me something!

spidermom
May 4th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Put the hedge clippers down and take a step back! :eek:

:)

O.k., but only because you said so.

GlennaGirl
May 4th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Nothing says "old" to me like the typical "over-40" style.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! (sneaking into Spidermom's garage to remove the hedge clippers and hide them elsewhere)

jessie58
May 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Spidey, you listen to DD and Glenna!!!

I love those pics and am afraid that those women would look ravishing even bald. *sigh*

How about some pics of longhair celebs over 50 for me Jessica?

GlennaGirl
May 4th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Spidey, you listen to DD and Glenna!!!

I love those pics and am afraid that those women would look ravishing even bald. *sigh*

How about some pics of longhair celebs over 50 for me Jessica?

Yeah, seriously, they are so pretty to begin with...how about some pictures of 40-plus, fat, rather plain-looking chicks with long hair? Oh. Wait. (Glancing in mirror) Never mind, I'm good. :p

jessie58
May 4th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Ahha, GG you silly woman. You are so pretty. Can't fool us with that talk.

LadyEliza
May 4th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Yeah, seriously, they are so pretty to begin with...how about some pictures of 40-plus, fat, rather plain-looking chicks with long hair? Oh. Wait. (Glancing in mirror) Never mind, I'm good. :p

I've got some some photos around here somewhere too....I even have one with a black eye if you want it! ;)

Flynn
May 4th, 2009, 10:39 PM
It's such a stupid stereotype! Long hair softens the face, and makes you look younger. Short hair can often look harsh.

Wind Dragon
May 4th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Hair, schmair. I'm looking up those facial exercises.

<sigh>

noelgirl
May 4th, 2009, 11:37 PM
The idea of age dictating hairstyle is pretty dehumanizing, in my opinion. If long hair is what you like, cutting it because you've hit 40 or any other age is like saying that this artificially constructed demographic is more important than your own personality and what you like. Literally, age is just a number.

jessie58
May 4th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Longhaired beauties over 50 include: Well not really long but not short haired either.

Jane Seymour
Kim Basinger
Holly Hunter
Suzanne Summers
Ellen Barkin
Victoria Principal
Michelle Pfieffer
????

Alun
May 5th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Jane Seymour is a stunner, and at least ten of the 40 on that list are among my personal pinups. Well, virtual pinups, I don't actually have any of their pictures on the wall. DW wouldn't like it. I've always thought Sandra Bullock was really attractive, although I don't think her picture in the list does her justice.

Two things strike me as really interesting.

Firstly, I think nearly all of the celebrities I find attractive are over 40, although a couple are way, way under! Lets just say a couple of the girls in movies my kids like are very attractive and leave it at that.

Secondly, at least two of those on the list actually used to have short hair and have grown it out, by which I mean Halle Berry and Demi Moore. Of course, I think the longer hair is a huge improvement on them, but this is the wrong place to expect much dissent on that point.

Amoretti
May 5th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Alun said:
Of course, I think the longer hair is a huge improvement on them, but this is the wrong place to expect much dissent on that point.
LOL. :D

The thing with the long haired celebrities is that none of them have very long hair (by LHC's standards). Now wouldn't it be amazing to see Halle Berry with hip length hair, for instance?

kdaniels8811
May 5th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Longhaired beauties over 50? ME! (at least me SO thinks so...)

kakaa
May 5th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Women around my age seem to be partial to the layered bob and blonde highlights to "camouflage" the grey... almost as if it's part of a uniform. Very boring. The other night we went to the ballet, and it seemed like the autitorium was packed with women who all went to the same hair stylist. They all had these blonde helmet hairdos.

I don't get it... Who would want to look like a clone :confused:

sneakybea
May 5th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Sonia Braga is and has been one of my long-haired role models, and she's over fifty. I think she has cut it a bit, but here's a link to a really great picture from 2004:http://www.actressarchives.com/display.php?img=35699&return=%2Fsonia-braga%2F (http://www.actressarchives.com/display.php?img=35699&return=&#37;2Fsonia-braga%2F)
Plus she had a guest role on the Cosby Show in which she played the ultimate "tight-bunned mean lady"---Theo's math teacher. Anyone remember that?

Unofficial_Rose
May 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I don't get it... Who would want to look like a clone :confused:

So true. When I used to get on the train in the morning, practically all women 40+ had this look. And in corporate offices - I'd sit in a meeting and be the only one without short, blonde highlighted hair.

I think it's partly because being blond was extremely fashionable amongst our generation when we were young, and we've got used to it and cannot see ourselves any other way. It's taken me years to get used to darker hair. It also tends to be short because bleach tends to spoil the condition.

jessie58
May 5th, 2009, 09:57 AM
SneakyBea, what a cool picture of SB and her hair!

Feline
May 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I think it's partly because being blond was extremely fashionable amongst our generation when we were young, and we've got used to it and cannot see ourselves any other way.

This is a good point. I remember just how startled I was when I realized that the pincurled bob my Grandmother wore was fashionable when she was about 16, and dressed like a flapper! I always associated it with an "old lady style"!

going gray
May 5th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Took me a long time to figure out that I didn't have to look like the masses. Enjoyed reading this thread. Thank you all for all the support!

ilovelonghair
May 6th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Is it me, or do all those people look extremely young for 40-somethings? I wonder if these actresses are naturally like this or did they have surgery?

Just off topic, but this pisses me off a lot: have you noticed that if you compare actresses and actors of the same age, the male ones always have more wrinkles? Why are they allowed to age (and even have non-fit bodies) and the actresses not?

Fethenwen
May 6th, 2009, 02:54 AM
These ladies are everywhere! I find it hilarious, they go to the hairdresser and want to look younger. 'Ooooh, a short cut with highlights will really lift your face!' And they come out having that boring office hair look that make them look old :D

Alun said:
LOL. :D

The thing with the long haired celebrities is that none of them have very long hair (by LHC's standards). Now wouldn't it be amazing to see Halle Berry with hip length hair, for instance?
It would be amazing to see them having that and all natural hair without extensions.

Is it me, or do all those people look extremely young for 40-somethings? I wonder if these actresses are naturally like this or did they have surgery?

Just off topic, but this pisses me off a lot: have you noticed that if you compare actresses and actors of the same age, the male ones always have more wrinkles? Why are they allowed to age (and even have non-fit bodies) and the actresses not?
Yes, and yes. Female actresses go trough a lot of surgery the older they get. I really have no belief in natural beauty when it comes to celebrities, there's soon no one left who has not gone through any surgery. Males have the wrinkles because some of them actually look more hot when having some gray hair and wrinkles, it is more acceptable to look old when it comes to males... gah, celebrities :rolleyes:

ilovelonghair
May 6th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Yes, and yes. Female actresses go trough a lot of surgery the older they get. I really have no belief in natural beauty when it comes to celebrities, there's soon no one left who has not gone through any surgery. Males have the wrinkles because some of them actually look more hot when having some gray hair and wrinkles, it is more acceptable to look old when it comes to males... gah, celebrities :rolleyes:

It's weird: why would a male actor look hotter with some wrinkles and grey hair but not a female actor?
I don't think it's the case for all male actors though, but one of them who aged well is Johnny Depp, he looks better older!

Autumnberry
May 6th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I only started growing mine out at 45. Now, I get more compliments on my hair than I ever have in my life and I am 49. That tells me something!

After seeing so many beautiful LHC manes on women over 40, nothing could convince me that older women must chop their hair off at a certain age. We are fed this myth, but it couldn't be further from the truth. There is something so unnatural about such a conformist activity, you know? It's kind of like tearing all the beautiful rose trees out of a garden after it matures.

Pixna
May 7th, 2009, 05:16 AM
There is something so unnatural about such a conformist activity, you know? It's kind of like tearing all the beautiful rose trees out of a garden after it matures.

Great comment!!! That says it all!!!

Wind Dragon
May 7th, 2009, 07:36 AM
It's weird: why would a male actor look hotter with some wrinkles and grey hair but not a female actor?
I don't think it's the case for all male actors though, but one of them who aged well is Johnny Depp, he looks better older!

Depp . . . older? Cut that out, he's my age.
"Aged well," my &^*&(%.

But yeah. :flower: Sean Connery's one, at least in my book. I was watching some old James Bond clips as part of a documentary last night. He was waaay sexier after he went gray.

The difference in perception, in my not-so-humble-opinion, is a direct result of the skewed perception of feminine "beauty" -- and its equation with perpetual youth -- that's been marketed and accepted by women over the last several decades. [/mini-rant]

ilovelonghair
May 8th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Depp . . . older? Cut that out, he's my age.
"Aged well," my &^*&(%.

But yeah. :flower: Sean Connery's one, at least in my book. I was watching some old James Bond clips as part of a documentary last night. He was waaay sexier after he went gray.

The difference in perception, in my not-so-humble-opinion, is a direct result of the skewed perception of feminine "beauty" -- and its equation with perpetual youth -- that's been marketed and accepted by women over the last several decades. [/mini-rant]

I didn't mean that as an insult, he's much older then me, so I by older I meant that. Sorry if I insulted anyone.
And by 'aged well' I just meant he looks really young for his age, I have some male friends who are the same age as him and they look much older.

I agree with you on Sean Connery! He looks better when he got older!

Wind Dragon
May 8th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Sorry if I insulted anyone.

Oh no, that wasn't part of my rant. I was teasing. :oops:

Pixna
May 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I am older than Johnny Depp, and I think he's aged quite handsomely (it's no insult to me to use the word "older" to describe him). I thought he looked delicious younger, and I think he looks even more delicious older. Gimme a bite!!! :yumm:

lynnala
May 8th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I'm 52, and while I wouldn't call myself "hot", I still feel absolutely "cool" and attractive. Especially with my long hair! I just saw a friend I hadn't seen in a couple of years who has known me since I was 25, and she says I look better than ever, and that she likes my hair best the way it is now, silver and long.

Pixna
May 8th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I'm 52, and while I wouldn't call myself "hot", I still feel absolutely "cool" and attractive. Especially with my long hair! I just saw a friend I hadn't seen in a couple of years who has known me since I was 25, and she says I look better than ever, and that she likes my hair best the way it is now, silver and long.

What a delightful compliment!!!

Silver Strands
May 8th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Robert Redford!
I've always loved him but his face is so much more interesting looking now.
God, he's a beautiful man!

Oh, are we supposed to be talking about women? Boring! ;)

Jessica Trapp
May 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Thankyou, this cheers me up and makes me feel that 45 is not "past it" (whatever "it" is).

By the way I LOVED your comment on another thread that you were going to grow enough hair to double as a bathing suit! :rollin:

You are welcome. I turn 40 this year--everyone on LHC is invited to the party! :cheese:--and I'm glad that the "rule" for cutting hair short is drifting away. To each her own, but for me... maybe one more foot of hair... one more foot and the mop can double as a bathing suit coverup...:eyebrows:

jes

feralnature
May 8th, 2009, 08:22 PM
All this talk about "blonde helmets" or "office hair"....where I come from we call it "soccer mom hair" and please just take me out behind the barn and shoot me if I ever come home with a lemming-headed hairstyle like that!

jessie58
May 8th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I'm a rugby mom and we are all natural beauties. :silly:

ilovelonghair
May 9th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Oh no, that wasn't part of my rant. I was teasing. :oops:

:D happy to hear that!

Xan
May 9th, 2009, 11:08 PM
big time long hair is awesome any age older women look great with long hair

mightymustang
May 11th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I think there's just something youthful looking about long hair!
If it's healthy, why not have it long?
I'll be 41 this year and NO way am I cutting my hair

going gray
May 11th, 2009, 04:01 PM
With me I cut my 23" hair a few times, stupid I know, due to outside pressures. Finally realized the hard way, the only one I have to please regarding my hair is myself. If I enjoy my hair long & I'm 62(really an old lady) then that's all that matters!

David's Bride
May 11th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks for this...sometimes I need a reminder about 40-something hotness! And, of course, the hair is what is making most of these women look so young!

Tina

desert flower
May 12th, 2009, 09:06 PM
How is 40 considered old and a hair cut turning point?? I am still 9 years away but 40 sounds young and vibrant to me - prime time!

Anyways, hair is hair no matter what age people are or what weird beauty and fashion rules society invents...I really hate those rules and always wear white after Labor Day...just for fun! Haha!

Seriously, though, hardly anything is more beautiful to me than a woman with flowing silver locks...there is something so dignified and beautiful and well...goddess-like about it.

gibsongirl71
May 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM
My mom is 65 and growing her hair out. I am 38 and once it gets as long as I want, I am not going to cut it short again. I am embracing my inner hippie. :D