PDA

View Full Version : Will you dye your hair when it starts turning gray?

Pages : [1] 2

HeavenlyTresses
April 5th, 2008, 10:18 PM
When your hair starts to turn gray, will you dye it or let it be?

I hope mine comes in a few strands at a time and not all at once so I don't have a weird color line as it grows out.

Lixie
April 5th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I reckon I'll let it be (I have the Beatles in my head now :lol:). I've a long time to decide though.

I'm sure yours will look lovely, however it comes in. :flower:

spidermom
April 5th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I don't really qualify, as I've been "turning gray" for about 10 years, and nope - no dye for me. I love the silvery-blonde color I'm getting. It definitely showed up a few threads at a time. Now I have thousands. I have quite a few mid-to-dark blonde hairs still sprouting out of my scalp, too.

AJoifulNoise
April 5th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I won't cover my greys. I don't plan to color anymore, anyway. I saw a lady in a store today. She had beautiful brown hair with individual grey hairs through out. It was breath-taking. I want that!

JKRBeloved
April 5th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I colored it for 25 years. Now I'm delighted with having let my natural color come out.

ilovelonghair
April 5th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I have no idea what I will do! I think it depends on if it suits me or not. If it doesn't I'd dye it with natural dye.

LaurelSpring
April 5th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I am going through this now. I colored first and couldnt stand the demarcation and fade and chemicals and damage. Now I have switched to henna and love the highlighted grays and that is helping me get use to seeing them there. Now I am going to transition to cassia because as I get grayer the hennaed gray hair will be oranger and thats not going to look right. So it is a gradual process for me. Right now its coming in in streaks with more at the temples.

Alley Cat
April 5th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I already do dye my hair and will continue too . I have grey bits coming through and have for a few years. :)

kwaniesiam
April 5th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I'd love to have silver hair, so nope :)

Delilah
April 5th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I'm about 10% gray, but right now I'm into having indigo'd black hair. When I get to have 50% or more gray I might let it grow out.

jesamyn
April 5th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I voted no, but I feel like I need to explain.

Part of my family is blessed with hair that goes an absolutely gorgeous true silver rather than grey or white. I lucked out and got those genes. They seem to come bundled with the genes that put off the whole turning-grey thing too (and a few genes that I could do without, but that's another topic). I have some, yes, but only a light sprinkling. I currently dye my hair with henna, not because the grey bothers me; I just love my henna-color. When I get enough silver in there to be mostly silver, I will cease dying it as I think it will look spectacular with my coloring. That being said, judging by various family members who also have the silver (yes, it's actually a trait that we comment on), I could be waiting awhile.

Lizbot
April 6th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Certainly not. The faster I get to potentially silver hair, the better.

biggeorge
April 6th, 2008, 03:59 AM
I hope mine comes in a few strands at a time and not all at once so I don't have a weird color line as it grows out.

The color line is just in a different direction! It is noticeable when in a tail; I call them my "racing stripes"!

Just_Isabel
April 6th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I have no idea what I will do! I think it depends on if it suits me or not.

:agree: That's why I voted cheese.
It will depend on when they start coming, and how.
I'll decide what to do when the time comes, and I'll probably change my mind about it over the years and try different things. :)

Juliet's Silk
April 6th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I voted no but of course I reserve the right to change my opinion in 30 years. :lol: My parents went grey rather than white, so if that happens to me as well, I might consider coloring. In addition to that, I doubt that grey hair would suit my colortype, but we'll see.
At the moment, I love the silver hairs I'm getting here and there and I hope for a streak of silvery white hairs. They're so pretty as the sparkle in the light so that you don't notice the hair at all you just see the sparkle. That's nice and I want more of them!

GlassEyes
April 6th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I'm going to do the naughty thing and turn the length gray/white too. >.>

I'm quite aware my hair will be damaged after this, but I don't want to wait for the discoloration to fade or what have you. Plus, it'll still be less damaged than my hair is now. xD

Carolyn
April 6th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Yes, I've colored it ever since my silvers started coming in years ago.

Siowiel
April 6th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I'm undecided yet... depends on my age when it turns gray.
If it starts the next years, yes. If it is brown until 60, no.

Anything in between will be considered.

harley mama
April 6th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I dye my gray already. My gray isn't a pretty shade. If it were I might be more tempted to let it go natural. I have a lot sprouting right now. But, as soon as I get done with chemo I plan on taking care of those puppies!

DotDotDot
April 6th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Gray hairs would only be a better excuse for me to henna! :)

peachy.pudding
April 6th, 2008, 08:07 AM
No dye for me thank you

yogachic
April 6th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I colored my hair once, long ago, and Never want to again, until I turn grey. I have always said , I love my natural color and I will not color my hair ever again until it turns grey. I guess I will see what I will actually do when the time comes.

Firefly
April 6th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I love silver hair so no, I won't be using dye when I start to gray.

-Firefly

Feisty Redhead
April 6th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Nope. I decided a long time ago that when my hair color decided it was going to say farewell I would accept it gracefully. :)

prosperina
April 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I have a few silver strands now that have refused the henna coloring, so I think next time I do my roots I'm gonna pick them out so as not to color them red. :D I voted cheese though, since I don't know yet. By the time I get more grey hairs, I'll be back to my natural dark/medium blond and silver will go nicely. But if it's not, I reserve the right to color it until it goes entirely silver/white.

Rosepatrice
April 6th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I've always had a very light champagne blonde color to my hair, so, when I do go grey, it probably won't be as noticable on me as it looks so light, anyway.

kettle
April 6th, 2008, 11:47 AM
No no no! I really, really want long, totally grey hair when I'm older. I don't think I'm actually going to get it; neither my mum, nor my nana are very grey. But I can dream.
I'd never colour my hair. For me it would contradict all my efforts to accept myself for what I am.

EvilPigeon
April 6th, 2008, 11:53 AM
My family has salt and pepper type grey,but I still prefer the look of red hair. I think I'll be using henna until the day I die, but who knows... :)

aprilmay
April 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I have never colored my hair. I used lemon juice in the sun when I was younger, but that is pretty much it. My SIL found my first gray hair a few months ago. I may decide to color it someday, but only if I found a natural colorant that I like. I know you can use coffee, walnut shells, clove buds, henna, etc. Not now for me.

Wanderer09
April 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I'll wait for a while and see if I like the look of it. If not, I'll dye it.

Newniepg
April 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I voted no. My mum is nearly sixty and still has her natural colour. She is showing one or two silvers now though. She's never touched it with dye.

So yes, Im hoping I have inherited her colour genes, the alternative is...unthinkable.

Dianyla
April 6th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I just love the way silver hair looks, especially the pewter-silver color that black or ashy dark brown hair types can turn into. I can't wait for mine to turn significantly grey, but if my mom is any indication it will be a long time. She's less than 50% grey and she's in her 60s. Also, I understand that I'll never get the shade of silver that I truly love, because of my natural hair color. However, it will be just one more color in the rainbow for my head of hairs, and I'm ok with that. :shrug:

I can certainly understand why many folks like the idea of dyeing, at least in the beginning. However, I wouldn't want to dye forever, and I never plan on cutting. So, to avoid having any visible line of demarcation while growing out, I plan to let it all happen naturally.

Arashi
April 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Nonononono
In fact, I'm going to stop dyeing my hair when I see a significant amount of grays/silvers coming in. It's a long long time away before I will ever see that happen, but I'm looking forward to it. Gray/silver/white hair is beautiful.

blackfrostqueen
April 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I voted nope. I'm not planning on dying my grays when ever I get them. However...if they are more white then "actual" gray, I may end up seeing if I can lighten my hair a natural way to fit with the silver locks. Then again...I may not.

I would however like my silvery grays to come in, in streaks rather then just the single hairs here and there. If I got them I want to see them, not have them hiding at the edge of my ears (that's were my mom's are - she has random little white fringe playing by her ears. Her side swept bangs easily cover the self-hidden gray hair).

Rzilynt
April 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I actually thought about that same thing when I decided to go gray. I didn't want the harsh line dividing the difference, So I discontinued coloring when I started seeing alot more and I am glad that I did. Otherwise I probably would have been married to my box of color. I would not be able to bear cutting to get rid of the color line. But of course not every one will feel the same way.

RZ~

tiny_teesha
April 7th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I have a complicated answer. Depending on how fast i grey, i will dye my hair (herbal only aka henna and friends) when the grey is noticable at a young age as my mother greyed prematurly. I think i'm her age when she started greying and i only have about 5 grey hairs. I want virgin hair but i can see myself hunting down the grey patches and dyeing them, or my whole head. Trying to get the colour as closely matched to mine. Then i will continue to dye it until 40 and then let it go. I'm sure by then it wont be TOO grey to actually show up a lot. And the transistion should be easy. Firstly i want to get a head full of virgin hair! :)

eadwine
April 7th, 2008, 05:56 AM
I will not dye my hair. I am actually hoping for a gray streak *grin*

Alaia
April 7th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I'm not going to dye my hair either.

I'm sure I will have earned every single one of my grey hairs! :lol:

Shirlpunzel
April 7th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I'm not dying mine - found the first few gray strands back in the fall, don't know how soon the rest will come in - I'm actually kinda looking forward to it.

If my genetics follow my mother and her sisters, I should have some really cool stripes before all the color goes :D. They all went gray to silver to white, from the top/center of their heads on down, and all three of them started graying before 30. Of course, all three have super short hair(you have no idea how often I hear "get a haircut" when around them :P), and 2 still dye. I'm gonna be different and be proud of my long grays :)

eta: yes I'm 23 and already graying. I don't think it's that odd though; it hits everyone at different ages. A guy friend of mine was totally gray at 13, though last I saw him he was still dying to match the original color. My maternal grandfather, on the other hand, is 81 and the hair he has is still all naturally jet black :shrug:

Frenchie
April 7th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I always thought I wouldn't, but I have. :( I'm kind of embarrassed, actually. lol I am under 30 and graying, and have been for the past 5 years. My father grayed early, so I guess it was only a matter of time.

Sarahmoon
April 7th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I'm guessing "yes", but it will depend on when I turn grey. If I'm fortunate enough to not get grey before I'm in my fifties, like my dad, I might just let it be. If it happens before I'm 40 I'll probably dye it.

homeschoolmama
April 7th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I am eagerly awaiting the day I see my first silver strands, and wouldn't think of ever dying them. I think silver/white hair is SO pretty!
love,
mom

Juli414
April 7th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I said no, BUT, it's more complex. I started getting gray hair when I was in my early 20s, like my dad. So, I highlighted, then dyed. I started looking like a freeway, white lines in the light brown. Then, it really clumped in my temples, when I pulled my hair back I was an homage to Elsa Lanchester as the Bride of Frankenstein.

Due to money constraints and the desire to have long hair, and realizing it'd take MORE dye with longer hair... I decided in December to just let it go, my last dye job was in August.

I also have permed ends from 5 years ago, so I will have to do some cutting/trimming, but the question will be how much and at what point(s)?

Anje
April 7th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I don't plan on it. I intend to be an old woman with long gray hair one day, and I don't really feel like I'm going to want to go through the two-tone thing at that point. So I'm going to grow out the henna while I'm still young and the difference isn't obvious.

ETA: I suspect it'll start with a streak from my crown. That's what my mum got, and it's where I notice my few grays now.

Hedera
April 7th, 2008, 05:29 PM
*makes entertaining gestures*

Double post, move along folks, move along!

Hedera
April 7th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I voted 'no'.

In fact, I stopped dyeing when I started to get grey (really grey; I've had some grey hairs since I was 16 or so, but until a few years ago they never seemed to get much company), a couple of years ago.

Before that, I wanted my hair to be darker, so I dyed it a darker brown (it's been fuchia too, and purple...).

But then one day, I saw a woman somewhere; I thought she was bald and had a sort of fur collar, but then I got closer and realized she wasn't bald, just grey, and the 'fur collar' was the outgrown, dyed hair.

The greyer I get, the odder the difference will look between dyed and virgin hair; unless I dye every week or so.

Besides, it's really bad for my hair, the last couple of times I dyed I lost a LOT of hair and my scalp was itchy and bumpy and sort of pimply for weeks.
(yes, I could henna, but the demarcation line would still be a problem, and I the colour wouldn't suit me).
It's also made the hair much rougher, dryer and a lot more prone to splits and breakage.

I'm looking forward to having long, sparkly, first pewter then silver locks! :rockerdud

Rain
April 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I look forward to having a full head of white hair one day but I am a very long way off from that! I like the color and strength I get with henna so my few white hairs get henna'd for now. Eventually, I will grow it out and go white but I am 33, not 73.

darkwaves
April 7th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I voted 'no'.

In fact, I stopped dyeing when I started to get grey Me, too!

I experimented with dyes -- reddish shades for a few years -- then realized I was starting to get silvers, and stopped dying.

I love the look of these sparkly hairs against my natural very dark brown hair. I don't have many yet, but they are coming quicker every year.

(And if I follow my mom, I won't get white hair till my late 80s, so I'm planning to relax and enjoy the salt-and-pepper phase... and I'm way to lazy to dye to cover gray.)

psvzum
April 7th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I started turning grey in my early twenties and have been coloring it for over 18 years. No plans to stop either : )

HeavenlyTresses
April 7th, 2008, 09:30 PM
The color line is just in a different direction! It is noticeable when in a tail; I call them my "racing stripes"!

Racing stripes--I love it :)

2BThinAgain
April 7th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Well, If you've seen my profile photo bucket...you see what I look like with white/grey hair :)
I just cut it all off into a pixie so that I could get rid of the damage that I had done to it with the bleaching and box dyeing etc. SO, with that said, I hope to perservere and not dye it.
One of my hairstylists doesnt believe I would look good with it natural...though I know she says that so she can stay in business. Me, I'm tired of box dyeing it and if anything that I would do is to use the cassia that I have and hope for the best.
Deb

mommabuck
April 7th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I plan on letting my hair continue it's graying and just see what I get. I've had gray coming in for a while.

Starting to look as though I get what my aunt did, what I called her "skunk stripe". My punishment for saying that I guess lol.

So instead of being called "the one with long hair", I'll be the one with the skunk stripe...rofl

Vela
April 7th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Nope, no plans to cover any that may come in, which may be very soon, or much later. Something I found funny though, I found a white hair in my brush last month or so. I know it was mine, mom has VERY curly hair thats BSL when straight, and grandma has shoulder. It was MUCH longer than either of those. I haven't found anymore though, and I'm kinda disappointed.
(The reason I know I could go gray/white is because my aunt went grey at about 15/16, so seeing the hair was more funny than scary.)

Nevermore
April 8th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I'm not sure, really. I probably won't dye it to COVER the grays, but I may take advantage of gray and later white hair to get pure "unnatural" colors, like pink and lavendar. I'd be ok with gray/white hair though.

magda
April 8th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I will let them be as they want to :)
As long as they don't fall out... ;)

joyful373
April 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I will not color my hair- I will embrace my grays and silvers as they come...and finally I will be considered to be as old as I am. I'm tired of looking "not my age."

squiggyflop
April 8th, 2008, 11:50 AM
when i go gray/white it will just mean that i will have bright copper highlights in my hennaed hair

artemisjade
April 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I've been dying my hair since I was in junior high. I've been 'greying' since I was 22 (though it has gotten much worse lately). I think I'll most likely keep dying, but this gives me a great excuse to try henna. :)

walkinglady
April 8th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I'm kind of looking forward to the grays coming in, so shiney!

Jorchet
April 8th, 2008, 03:39 PM
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l143/Jorchet/Smilies/miedo.gif I can't even start thinking about it! I've never ever dyed my hair, never been interested in doing so. I used to go to the swimming pool in summer when I was little and loved my hair getting highlights, but never got them done by a stylist or hair dye.

When I think about my hair going gray I panic...I don't know if I'll be able to live with gray, but the question is...will I be able to dye my hair...and if so...what colour? http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l143/Jorchet/erm.png

Elizabeth
April 8th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I voted that I wouldn't. I'm getting a white streak in the front next to my right temple. I hope that means that I will be lucky an get a true white when it all comes in. The only thing that I think will be tough is the in between stage. It seems to "age" people and make them look almost "faded."

Arniky
April 9th, 2008, 09:14 AM
yes when it greys

Katze
April 9th, 2008, 10:02 AM
heck no!

Long silver witchy hair is one of the main reasons I'm growing it. I've got a sprinkling on my left forehead, and as I hoped, they are SILVER.

helynhighwater
April 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I voted cheese, because I really don't know what I'll do when the time comes. My mother is greying attractively, with silver coming in at her temples. I like that look, but her hair is different from mine, a coarser texture and a chestnut color to my much lighter 'strawberry brown'. My father is fairing a bit less well, with white coming in all over. His color is closer to mine. They're both coming into their mid-fifties. My greys should be less obvious than my mother's, but if they're white like my dad's, I don't think that will look well against my pale skin. I'd like to say that I won't dye, but if it looks bad, I might consider it.

I've always liked goat cheese, but a nice chedder would probably suit my coloring better. Hmmm... :cheese:

Graydog
April 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Covering with cheese is tempting... kinky, but tempting. What color cheese??? Blue? yellow? A a bold orange Double Gloucester would be nice.

I like lixie's "Let it Be" and biggeorge's "racing stripes"!

Nope. I don't color my salt-and-pepper hair. But it's interesting to notice older women on TV -- Seems like 99% of them do color their hair, not to mention the little nips and tucks and facelifts. Whew -- It's hard to stay natural and keep a decent self-image! Having a husband that says he likes my hair the way it is and tells me I'm beautiful sure helps! :)

Jill (Graydog)

wimsey
April 9th, 2008, 12:22 PM
No way! I could never tolerate the upkeep.

Martina
April 9th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Nope....it's happening now and although it is an adjustment, I going to stay natural.

shell78
April 9th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I voted no.

I just turned 30 and I'm starting to get these cute little transparent / silver hairs along my natural part. Some are as much as 4" long.

I've been told that my hair looks like spun gold, and now that my grays are coming in silver I'm really curious what my hair will look like as they all come in.

I've had trouble with looking young for my age since I'm petite and blessed with good genes, so here's hoping the silver will help!

~GypsyCurls~
April 9th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I dye my hair a burgundy/red becasue my natural color is too blah...I'm too dramatic for it :). I actually am already having greys come in, and will keep dying my hair but when it eventually turns all grey, I will let it be. I absolutely love beautiful silver/grey/white hair, I think it's beautiful.

lilalong
April 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Depending on how old I'm going to be when the gray sets it, I think I most likely will.

WritingPrincess
April 9th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I voted cheese, because, although I want to have pure long silver hair, I'm not sure if I'll get more than salt-n-pepper (which I think is beautiful) and I reserve the right to change my mind at least once in the next 30 years or so. I've never dyed, so I can't imagine how much hassle it must be to keep up. It just sounds more like me to stay with virgin hair. Although I do love my dark brown color.

Koala Kim
April 9th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I voted yes since I have been coloring my hair for years now to cover the 'ole sparklers. :lol:

nastasska
April 9th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I already am

sweetkandi
April 9th, 2008, 10:43 PM
If by the time im 30, and I start seein some grays, i think I will definately dye my hair.

1nuitblanche
April 10th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I might get highlights to blend the grey in more with the rest of my hair. Or I might use a semi-permanent dye until it's all a nice shade of grey. But, really, only time will tell. Maybe I'll love the way it comes in and just leave it at that.

XtinaXposed
April 10th, 2008, 03:17 AM
i didn't vote because i don't know yet. that's missing in the poll.

Kunzang
April 10th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I voted no, but the new hairs growing on the top of my crown are coming in grey, and they are very wiry and thicker than my other hair. I'm not sure what I'll do about that if it continues. I don't really want kinky hair.

almudena
April 10th, 2008, 12:29 PM
My hair is about 25% grey. I'm not definetely ready to let my greys grow

Cactus Jack
April 10th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I still have my blond hair with just a touch of gray at the temples despite being a senior citizen. I’ll just let nature take it course. Now for my wife that is a different story. I color her hair for her every four to six weeks. Neither one of us think she would look good with gray hair. I enjoy pampering her. :D

rhubarbarin
April 10th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I love salt-and-pepper, gray, silver and white hair. I think it looks amazing. I am planning on never dying my hair.

starfire
April 10th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Yes! Henna will show up better on grey hairs than black ones :)

Phalaenopsis
April 11th, 2008, 12:13 AM
If I get grey hair, I think I will dye my hair. But I'm hoping for the 'lucky gen'. I have the same hair as my father and in their family at the age of 85 they still don't have grey hair:eek:
So my grandfather had just 2 strands of grey and for the rest still had the brown/blond colour I have. My uncle is over 50 still doesn't have grey hair. My father got some grey of the treatment of cancer (not the chemo, but the other thing, but I don't now the word :o) But for the rest he still kept his natural colour. So now I'm hoping he has passed it on to me :)

2littlebirds
April 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I probably will dye my hair when it starts turning gray. I've never dyed my hair before, but I love my red hair too much.

rubyann
April 11th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I will cover my hair with cheese when it turns gray:D

No, really. I'm letting my sparkling silvers come in as they may. I find that look much more attractive than the skunk head look of silver roots on darker hair when it's past time to color.;)

I've seen so many gorgeous heads of silver hair her on LHC. I'm inspired.

girlcat36
April 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I will cover my hair with cheese when it turns gray

:spitting:Now that was funny!

Irishred
April 11th, 2008, 10:15 PM
CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Truth, nope. I don't color now and will probably not color then. Then I would have to keep coloring or have the tell-tale line. I like being natural.

MoonSong
April 12th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I already color my grays. I might eventually change my mind though. I am mainly really gray around the temples. If it was evened out more I don't think it would look so bad, but right now I think it looks horrible unless dyed.

Alaskanheart
April 12th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I voted cheese because I dont know yet, it depends on if it compliments my skin tone I guess.Im hoping I dont go grey , Ive got a good chance my dad and his parents never went grey even my grandma at 83 had very few greys.

Amoretti
April 12th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I have a few silvers at my temples now and am letting them be. I doubt I'll be dying them in the future. I love my natural colour and enjoy the highlights. To me silver is just another interesting feature.

Medvssa
April 12th, 2008, 01:24 PM
No. I stopped with the henna because I saw a few first grey hairs. Everyday I have more :D My hair is in much worse condition without the henna, and now I am trying cassia. I hope this works because I really don't want to go back to the henna. I love the color and the condition it gives, but I want my grey hairs too :wacko:

Riot Crrl
April 12th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Too late for me, by about 14 years. One day when I'm as grey as I wanna be, I will transition out the henna. That will be a tough road, I know it.

Meanwhile I have enough of a job to grow out the chemical dye. Henna is going to look awesome over my natural color with 10-15% grey, I can already tell. My grey comes in pretty much all over, not in patches, so it'll be a darker auburn with random fire engine color hairs all over it.

meichigo
April 14th, 2008, 01:46 AM
If I dye my hair when it turns grey, it'll just be a coincidence as I dye my hair periodically as it is... I wouldn't do it just to hide the greys, like my mom does.

aney
April 14th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I'll probably dye it when it grey!

Crysania
April 14th, 2008, 06:12 AM
i chose the third option because I dont know. It will depend if it looks good or not. like if its not ALL white/grey but different kinds of color and it doesnt look good together i might dye it a ash blonde color

my natural color is quite pale so i hope my hair will be snow white

ladystar
April 14th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I think I will dye it depends on how old I am when I get gray hair, and how I look with it, eventually I will not.

Zindell
April 14th, 2008, 09:00 AM
No way! I'm looking forward to the time. :)

From Golden to Silver. *grin*

Tapioca
April 14th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I just did my first Cassia treatment this weekend, and I love it! I'll probably continue, and it'll probably tint the greys yellowish.

icing
April 14th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I already like to color my hair... and I kept it up when I got white hairs in my mid-teens (they're gone now), so I think I’ll keep dying as long as I’m not too lazy, or want a different color. :P

Loviatar
April 14th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I will dye mine, but I use henna, so the only reason I'll dye my grays is that I'll get flaming whites! :D

If the henna doesnt come out uber-bright, though, I might grow it all out and have all grey. I'm not bothered about grey per se; I don't care about the colour and the 'old' stigma, I just want to see if the henna turns it bright red ;)

Lamb
April 15th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Ask me again fifteen years from now.

PS: I voted cheese! ;)

mitabird
April 15th, 2008, 01:06 PM
As of right now, I have no plans of dying my hair when it starts to gray. I don't dye it now.

cindy58
April 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM
The silvers are just sneaking in on me -- I plan to leave them be. I have never colored my hair before and I don't really want to start.

spidermom
April 15th, 2008, 02:33 PM
As far as I've observed, gray/white/silver hair always comes a few strands at a time. Nobody gets the cream-sicle effect except from coloring hair, then stopping.

amberdakota
April 15th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I do color my hair now because of the 30-40% gray that is in it, and I'll likely continue, at least for awhile. I'm just not quite used to the gray yet, but it's coming, whether I'm used to it or not...

Putting cheese in it is definitely an option though... ;-)

vindo
April 16th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Depends at what age, once I feel ready I will probably stop Henna and grow out the grey....

tennies
April 17th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I never thought I would cover my grays, but I have just started covering them with henna and I love my hair again.

kaorifun
April 18th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I might at some point, but I really like grey hair. I hope I get my dad's snowy white hair when I do go grey. I'm sure I wouldn't color it if it turned out as nice as his looks.

wintersun99
April 18th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I have been and will probably continue...

rosieposie
April 18th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Nope. I intend to allow nature to do her stuff. My mum didnt have any grey hairs until she was in her mid 50's and even now, at 63, she has very few. I hope I have inherited that gene.

Bellatrix
April 18th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I don't think I'd use commercial dyes, but I can see myself continuing to henna when I begin to gray.

florenonite
April 18th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I don't plan on it, but that may change if I end up grey at 25 or something like that.

KaeleyAnne
April 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I'll wear my gray hairs with pride! Hopefully it'll look good. :) My mother is almost 55, and she's almost completely gray and I have an aunt who started going gray in her early 20s.

Naluin
April 18th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I don't know. I have about a handful of transparent, silver hairs. I noticed my first one at 18 and recently, I've noticed two more.

I don't know how graying goes in my family. Everyone in my family on my mother's side is dyed, but my father, at 42, is about 5-10 percent gray. His parents are very white/grey at nearly 70.

Right now, the idea of going grey doesn't bother me, but in 20 years, it might. For now, I choose "cheese."

Suldrun
April 18th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I never imagined that I would dye my grays in fact I started gettign pretty silvers in my early 20's and I loved them. I do henna though but for the thickening and strength as my hair was always breaking off at BSL and with Henna I feel I have hope of going longer. I actually love the copper color of my grays but I have thought of coating them with an oil when I henna so they don't get colored but I am a bit lazy. We'll see, for me its just about what I feel like doing at the time.

So for now I am voting cheese:cheese:

flapjack
April 20th, 2008, 01:36 PM
My haircolor is really similar to my dad's, only I have red in it as well. And my dad has waist length hair and he doesn't get gray hairs, he gets white hairs, so it blends in with all the shades of blonde and brown that he already has. Since my hair is basically identical to my dad's only I have some red in it that I know I got from his mother (my grandma), I'm hoping it will age like his is, as well. Then I might not have to worry about dyeing it, I can just let it slowly go white and then dye my eyebrows or something. I was a blonde until I was 19 anyway, so I have the coloring to pull it off, I think.

lacereza
April 20th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I have 5 or 10 greys. They all seem to be around the front of my head, easy to spot and pluck out! They don't appear to be multiplying fast. If they hold off becoming apparent for another ten or fifteen years I'll let them be, but if it becomes noticable soon I might have to bite the bullet. I stopped dying my hair when I first found greys and realised that I might only have a few years to enjoy my natural colour!

citcit
April 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM
Good question... I don't know :rolleyes:
I have my first grays and thinking about dying my hair with henna...should i or not? thinking and thinking...i love my natural hair color, its shine and glow. don't want to lose it. it isn't as black as in my avantar, very very dark brown, looks often like black, but in the sun it has a reddish brown shine.

ole gray mare
April 21st, 2008, 07:13 PM
I found my first gray in my teens. At age 20, it started graying faster. (That's what having a kid will do to ya!) I started dyeing at age 22 and gave it up at 27. It bothered me so much to dye it, for a number of reasons.

I stopped dyeing cold turkey at that point, went through the painful growing out process and then cut it short and it looked cute and I was forever free of Miss Clairol!

I've never regretted giving up the dye, and I really truly do like my silver hair.

Gecko
April 22nd, 2008, 12:25 AM
I'm not sure... If I had silver hair now that would be really neat, but if it was when I was older.... that would mean I was old, with grey, old hair and I don't want to be old.

Islandgrrl
April 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Yes. Oh, make that H E L L yes.

Euphony
April 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
I started getting greys when I was 25, but very, very slowly. Now that I'm 37 they are a tad more noticeable but not much. My husband thinks my greys are sexy (he's so sweet), but he loves the henna too. I started using henna not to color greys, but because I love the color of the henna. My greys are annoying, I have a big silver spider smack dab on top of my head, so currently the henna is nice in that it covers that. When I start to grow more greys I plan on quitting the henna and enjoying the silver.

So I didn't answer since my option really isn't there - I'll quit coloring when I go more grey :grin:

Qwerty Uiop
April 23rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
no, but if dyeing were good for hair and my hair wanted to be dyed so badly that i could bribe it to turn grey by promising to dye it and then backing out at the last minute, i might be tempted.

boukje
April 24th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I love the look of grey hair (am I strange now?) so I would definitely not colour my hair then.

I would be happy with grey as I do not like my natural colour now.

lorig713
April 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I plan to stay natural...one long silver braid for me. The one gray hair I had has been hiding of late.

beatricedivina
April 24th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I honestly wasn't planning on dying my hair anymore, but then it started to grey in a really unappealing pattern. The people in my family tend to grey in front, so I had grey bangs and brown hair and I HATED IT. Now I have highlights, so the grey sort of blends in. I figure that it may damage my hair, but I'd have chopped it off by now if I didn't color it.

MadHatter
April 24th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I voted cheese, because I won't know when my hair starts to really go gray. Since I henna now, I only ever see roots, and their color looks sort of distorted next to the henna red.

intothemist1999
April 24th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I don't intend to. Salt-n-pepper has ALWAYS been my favourite colour!

Then I again, I know people who said that and ended up colouring. Most women I know colour.

I'm just into low, low maintenance so I can't stand the thought of the upkeep, either.

The oldsters in my family tended to be quite dark-haired till their 80's, except for my great-grandma who had beautiful white hair.

mira-chan
April 24th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Nope, I already have a streak forming and I like it.

SarieQ
April 25th, 2008, 09:09 AM
When my hair turns while, I'm going to quit henna and go cassia. I might make a few indigo lowlights because I love the bluish/green it did on my son's light blond hair.

Delenn
April 25th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Depends, whatever makes me happy when I reach that stage will be what I end up doing. :)

savi
April 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Eh, truth be told. I have no idea. I won't probably even notice going grey, I already have some naturally nearly white hairs in here somewhere.. :shrug:

almudena
April 25th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I have been dying my hair for 10 years because of greys so the answer is absolutely yes :)

nomadhome
April 25th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Depends on when I go gray. if that happens two years from now, I'll dye it. Fifteen years? Probably not. I like the idea of long, silvery hair, but I am not ready for it just yet. We'll see!

Saranne772
April 26th, 2008, 02:29 AM
I know I am only 18 but I have thought about it becauseAn my mother had very premature grayess- to the point of when she dropped me at school everyone used to think she was my grandmother! haha!!

And I know that I wont dye it- or henna. But I used herbs that put a bit of colour in hair?

Aromatic
April 26th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Hm, my mother looks so much younger when she re-natures (do you know what I mean?) her hair. Thats probably what I'll do.

lookingglass
April 26th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I have greys and I henna! I'm not ready!

blue_nant
May 10th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I call them my bad-boyfriend hairs and I figure I have earned them. My mom pulled hers. All 50 (of mine) are still there and getting to be 7-8 inches long!

Time will tell if I feel the need to color them or pull them, lol

... but I don't worry about the allergy dark circles around my eyes, my wrinkles or my double chin, so why worry about the gray hairs? If they can't see through my physique to my personality, they should just go away.

centurytoolate
May 10th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I've been dying my hair for years. My first silvers started showing up when I was 19. Maybe someday I'll let it do its own thing but not yet!

Stephanie
May 10th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Heck no! Fine, silver hair runs in my family and I'm looking forward to the contrast against my brown hair. :grin: That's the closest I'll ever come to blond naturally, anyway. :lol:

Speedbump
May 10th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I'm already going gray and have no intention of coloring. My Nana had GORGEOUS silver hair, and my mom doesn't color either. I have great role models! :D I'll be an old lady with a long silver braid. :cheese:

aprilmay
May 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM
All the women in my family color their hair. My sister does highlights, my mom does the full dye job and so does my Grandma. So I have no idea what my hair will look like. Right now I smile at my lone gray hair.

NenNa
May 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I kind of like the natural change in apperance as I grow older - and perhaps wiser ;) I've had white hairs coming since I was 25, but recently I've noticed that the colour of all my hair is duller nearer the scalp, so I guess that I'm slowly greying. I was hoping for the hair by hair going to white - but it seams that I'm getting the slowly rusting away-effect instead.

n3m3sis42
May 11th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I've had a few (like 3) whites since I was 20. Around the age of 27, I went through a really rough year and at the end of it I noticed I had a few more. I'm almost 32 now and I still only have maybe 10, maybe fewer, and they don't really bother me too much.

I currently henna, so I never see my whites except for when my roots start to grow out. I don't know if I would dye just to cover the whites, but since my hair is dark I sort of like how henna stands out so well on the white hairs. So as I get more, I will probably keep henna'ing just to see my hair get redder and redder. :)

aprilmay
May 11th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Henna is something I would consider, but as far as chemical dyes I am scared off.

hazelceleste
May 11th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I have no idea what I'm going to do when I start going grey. I love my henna red color, and I love grey hair, but I hate the look of undyed grey roots. It's going to be hard to decide when to stop hennaing and let my greys grow in.

aprilmay
May 12th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Roots are definitely a deterrent to dying.

n3m3sis42
May 13th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I have no idea what I'm going to do when I start going grey. I love my henna red color, and I love grey hair, but I hate the look of undyed grey roots. It's going to be hard to decide when to stop hennaing and let my greys grow in.

I'm a little concerned about that, too. Henna is permanent, so if I want to grow in my whites someday, I'm going to either have to live with two-tone hair (I think not) or chop it all off at some point. Both are things I'd rather not think about for now.

Hypatia
May 16th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Maybe it's too soon to say for sure, but I imagine that I would not. I've always thought grey hair was so gorgeous!

AquaViolet1973
May 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I will definately color my hair when it turns grey.

talula_fairie
May 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I would dye my hair if it turned grey, yes.

florenonite
May 20th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I saw a girl in my hall today, she must be about 18 or 19, and she's got an inch-wide streak of white hair on the bottom-most layer (this is why I never noticed it before, as her hair has to be in a ponytail for it to be noticeable). I thought it was the coolest thing ever!

Gabriel
May 20th, 2008, 02:58 PM
My mom has goreous silver/white hair, so when I start going "grey" I hope it's like her's and have no intention of coloring.

dukkelisa
May 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM
I think it's a shame that the natural change in our hair is somehow perceived as negative, that aging is to be disguised.

No dye for me for all kinds of reasons. I want to experience my changes in life with a smile and a nod.

RavennaNight
May 28th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I'm dyed now, haven't found any grays yet:D When they do come in I'm sure I'll keep dyeing. I may have to switch from blue black then though. No "little old blue haired lady" locks for me!:cheese:

lavenderblue
May 28th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I will and I do. I have lots of greys and I'm 37, too young to be gray. So I dye with henna, the grays become nice highlights :)

hurricane_gia
May 28th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure what I'll do. It really depends on what color of "gray" my hair changes to. Both of my parents have silvery gray hair, which is very pretty, but my coloring is more of a throwback to my great-grandmother. Her hair went from dark blonde to dingy, yellowish gray . . . not a color I look forward to. I might try Cassia on it and see how that does . . . But it will be a few years before I have to decide for sure, as I haven't even found my first gray hair yet!

silverwoods
May 29th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I've been getting silver hairs since I was a teen (my father was the same way), so no I won't dye them since I've never dyed my hair. My hair is a few shades from black with silver in it, but my hair lightens up in the summer.

emeraldfaery
May 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM
No dye for me! I love the look of grey/silver hair. My grandmother stopped dying her hair a few years ago and now she is completely white and it looks so pretty.

Katrina
May 30th, 2008, 07:20 PM
It'll depends... I don't know yet. If my hair turns out to be yellowish grey, I guess I'll dye it. I have guite a lot of red pigment (this dark brown is not my natural colour), so maybe I'll have yellow or orange hair. If I'll get nice silvery grey hair, there's no way that I'm going to change it :D.

DarkChocolate
November 14th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I will henna/indigo:)

Samitra
November 14th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Nope. I have never dyed my hair and I intend to keep it natural. My mother keeps asking me if I've found my first gray hair yet. I haven't. She started getting silver hairs at the age of 20 and the hair of her brother was completely white (!) when 35. I'll keep looking, maybe there are some hidden silver hairs already. :)

Ryanne
November 14th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I don't know, it depends on the kind of grey I'll get. Though it will take quite a while before I'll get them.

saracuda
November 14th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I voted no. I'm probably not going grey, anyway. I'll go white, and I'm cool with that.

Fencai
November 14th, 2008, 09:09 AM
well, apparently, Ive started getting my whites in. (all the women in my family have gone WHITE)
once I get more than a few I'll let it go. But for now, Im a henna head!

Hurray4Henna
November 14th, 2008, 09:14 AM
At this time, I have no plans on colouring my greys...but that could change, I guess.
I love grey hair!

Aisha25
November 14th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I'll let them alone let them come naturally. It is a part of aging beautifully:)

Addy
November 14th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I won't color my hair to cover my grays/silvers. I'm actually growing my color out and embracing them in all their natural beauty. :cool: I have a good bit on this almost 31 year old head. :D

Albrun
November 14th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I love silver hair. But I dont know if I will get over the pepper and salt stadium. My father is still pepper and salt, my mother had few whites in her fifties and I have only a few strands yet. And I like my color, I do not want another.

Albrun

itsMEowKat
November 14th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I've already started to gray, and while I'm not best pleased about it I won't be damaging my hair with any kind of coloring.

lilmisspicky126
November 14th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I'm already going gray in spots ( Thanks Dad!) and I'm just going to let it be.

NeilTheFuzz
November 14th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I think grey hair can be quite cool. It's great to have multiple shades in your hair. I guess people like to cover their age for some reason. I think age equates to wisdom, so when I get them, I'll be keeping my greys. If I don't go bald before then :(

EdG
November 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Nope. I've been turning gray for quite a few years now. I wasn't very happy with my grays until I learned at an LHC meet last spring that silver streaks can be irresistible. :D
Ed

CaityBear
November 14th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I have a long wait until I start growing grays (at least I hope it's a long wait!!) but at the moment I don't want to dye over them.

ladyfairington
November 14th, 2008, 09:11 PM
no, i won't.

i'm 20 years old and i've never dyed my hair, ever.

i intend to keep it that way.

besides, i'm a brunette- what other color would i dye my hair?

i think i'd look ridiculous with another hair color, though i would loooove to have red hair.

one time, i saw this native american old lady and she had long hair, just below classic length.

it was thick, all one length, and silver.

like, silver- it seemed to shimmer in the daylight.

she was breath-takingly beautiful, just a dream.

i want to be that beautiful when i grow older, and i can't wait to get silver hair. <3!

Vitalai
November 14th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I won't. I love grey hair. :inlove:

There's such lovely examples of this on here. Teazel comes to mind.

plainjanegirl
November 14th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Someone mentioned the other day they thought they saw a few grays in my hair. I am only 24!!
My hair has not been colored since may. I will probably cave and get it colored again after the new year.

Can stress cause gray hair?

Samitra
November 15th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Can stress cause gray hair?

I don't know, but I do know that my boyfriend, to his own amusement, started to find silver hairs only a couple of months after meeting me. Stress? I hope not, but I certainly brought a new lifestyle to his home :D

Vitalai
November 15th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Hmm...I don't know. I think it is in the genes. My gramma had really thick hair and got grey hairs when she was younger. She has lovely silver streaks now. My sister has almost the exact hairtype as her and gets grey hairs all the time. She's sixteen.

Gypsy
November 15th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I have ben dying to cover gray for YEARS!!
I started getting random gray strands at the age of 21- way too early.
I'm 41 now and STILL think it's too early for gray, lol!
I will stop dying when it truely is all gray.
Then I will silver it, lol!

dulce-de-leche
November 15th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I for sure will.I have some popping up here and there and I just pluck them & when I get enough that if I continue plucking I will be bald I will stop plucking,let them grow out & dye.I've seen so many people with beautiful grey hair but that's not for me :)

LutraLutra
November 15th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Nope, no more dye for me.

GlassEyes
November 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM
If my hair goes completely snow white, I will cut off whatever I have hennaed and dye the rest silver.

tessika
November 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I say no now, only 23 years old,, but who knows if I'll change my mind in some years...

mommy101405
November 15th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I voted no but I could change my mind. Both my parents are in their fifties and have no noticeable gray so if genes are any indication I've got a good 20-30 years left without any gray.

Sighridh
November 15th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I have lots of grays and have dyed for most of the time my husband and I have been together.

I actually got as close to an opinion as I think I've ever gotten from him on what I should do with my hair. "Bear, do you think I should grow my hair out natural or keep it hennaed?"
To which he says "whatever you like, it's nice either way, whatever makes you happy with it", and I say " It has a lot of gray in it now." and he stands there thoughtfully looking at my head for a moment and finally says "is the henna ok for it?", "yes, it's good for it", "then maybe keep up with the henna if you want".

Yep, henna it is. :D

joyellen
November 15th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I don't know if I will or not.

mrs carol
November 15th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I've never colored my hair so I will be just letting the gray come in.

sn0w
November 15th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Will dye it blue or some un-natural colour till all the grey comes in then leave it grey or may be try for silver :)

winter_star
November 15th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Nope I'll never cover my greys. In fact I can't wait till my ahir goes grey. I want to see what I will look like with lighter hair.

MissMaryMac
November 16th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I didn't vote on the poll because I still haven't decided about that! :) I have a few gray hairs already, but I kind of like them. My father and brothers went completely gray by 30, and I have always thought it to be very distinguishing.(sp?) I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

ginnysgems
November 16th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I've been coloring my hair since I was 18, and once I started seeing gray roots, well, that clenched it! I'm not vain in any other way, I just refuse to be gray..... When it's time to re-dye I swear I look at least ten years older...... AND I just love my red hair, which is actually yucky mousey brown/gray. Life is too short, we should enjoy the simple things! :)

Speckla
November 16th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I started getting grey at 21. By bangs have solid streaks and I'm just letting all my color grow out. I haven't dyed my hair since March of this year. It's going to change and I don't think it will make me look older. My face looks young and my body is healthy - so what's the big deal about silver? None for me.
________
Portable vaporizer reviews (http://vaporizers.net/portable-vaporizers)

Isblå
November 16th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I really just don't know! It will depend on the age, my reaction and the reaction of those around me whether I will colour or not.

kiora
November 16th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I like grey hair so I probably will not. My mom used to have my haircolour (blond-ish) when she was younger and now she has a dark grey with some silvers thrown in there. It looks nice. :)

sahiba
November 16th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Actually I have not decided . I do not want to go around with white hair but dye is not my favorite .I know I won't be able to carry red head or henna head so that too is out of question. Lets see. :hmm:

burns_erin
November 17th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I am currently doing so as a matter of fact, I use henna.

aprilmay
November 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM
My lone gray hair does not have any friends yet. I feel I have earned it and I am proud of it. That may change in the future. If it does, I will stick with the natural hair colorants.

Fantak
November 18th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I'm kinda hoping and praying I just won't go grey :cheese:

(YaY my first cheese!)

HairyCarrie
November 18th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I voted no to erasing the grays. I don't have too much - 2 stripes at each temple and a mild amount all over. I'm enjoying the sparklies, but I think I'll be taking after my mom who is in her 70s and still has lots of dark hair.

My younger sister takes after my dad who was prematurely gray and she now has it all over. Genes are funny that way, eh?

I did try a henna recently, but left out my temple hair as I didn't want them colored. As it turns out the henna didn't change the color much so I'm pretending I never did it. ;)

curls2grow
November 18th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I said yes, I will color it when it starts turning grey. I've actually been there, done that, and am now at about 18 months into growing out the dye. I don't regret coloring it for the time I did; I wasn't ready to grow in the grey any earlier than I started.

Iolanthe
November 18th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I started going gray when i was 10 years old. Now at 23 years old i am about 10&#37; gray but it is not evenly through my hair just big solid streeks on my crown and temples. I don't think it makes me look older but i have recently experemented with a Henna/Indigo mixe which has given my gray bits a blond tinge.

Payal80
November 18th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Yes. to stay and look young

dreamhair
December 11th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I said no, but I only have a couple hairs right now that are gray (or white). Time will tell.

embee
December 11th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I don't want to start coloring my hair, it seems like a bit of a problem. At least it was trouble for me about 100 years ago when I was a teen. ;)

AutumnSky
December 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I'm already getting the littlest bit of gray...... and I'm still using my henna.
Maybe when I have some substantial gray, I'll stop, but it's unlikely.

One of my aunts was a redhead until she passed away at 90....I've always admired her determination. ;-p

morguebabe
December 11th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I have a few grey hairs....I dye my hair now just cause I like dying hair.
I know that when it is ALL grey (Hopefully silver like Tyne Daily in Judging Amy) I will leave it be.

Angelina15
December 11th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I think grey/ sliver hair is so beautiful. I've never dyed my hair so I don't plan on it.

Copasetic
December 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM
i am pretty sure that i will dye my hair. i am 23 now, and i have two gray hairs that i have to pluck every once in a while. they drive me insane.

SaraTaylor16
December 11th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I'll probably dye it a nice shade of gray, that way I won't have 'roots' too often... but... I have a WHILE to think it over.. lol.:)

Spike
December 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Nope. Here's where I got genetically lucky.

Father's mother had glorious silver hair--no rinses, no nothing, She wore it trimmed to knee length (any longer was just too much hassle).

My gray is starting to trickle in, and it's the same color as my grandmother's. Bright shiny silver, like an anime character.

Bring it on!

dearladydisdain
December 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
My mom is 48 and barely has any grays and I'm hoping I'll be like her. However I think I would like to be a woman with long gray hair.

Chamomilemaiden
December 11th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Iīve never dyed my hair and I donīt plan too. Iīm quiet curious what color Iīll get ;) If I donīt like it than I might try henna.
...Interesting, when I was a little girl (like in nursery school) I always thought that Iīll dye my hair when I get older, because everybody in my surrounding did it. And also because my mum used to tell me that when I get into my twenties my hair will darken and I would have to bleach it to get the blonde color... and it didnīt happen:D

Sissy
December 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I already have a few strands of white hair in my head... and I'm not even 30! The white hairs are coarser and stronger feeling than my brownish ones.

I think I might let me hair stay natural as I age... mostly because I'm too afraid I'd ruin my length if I dyed it. Plus, there are some really beautiful women on here who have long grey hair. The user, "Old Grey Mare" comes to mind.

frogette
December 14th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I have no idea what I'm going to do when I start going grey. I love (..) henna red color, and I love grey hair, but I hate the look of undyed grey roots.

I'm in the exact same case. I'm extremely tempted to give a try to henna, but this is a concern for me.

Shadow
December 15th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I think that all over silver or white is absolutely gorgeous but I think that I might struggle to not colour my hair through the 'gun-metal/salt 'n pepper grey phase'. So I might do subtle colour until that phase is over and then go for all white/silver. Easy enough for me since Im a blondie though I think it would be harder to make the transition for anyone with darker hair.

shikara
December 30th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Ive seen some gorgeous shades of grey - hope mine will be one of them!!!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/th_a5642814.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/lmarie29/?action=view&current=a5642814.jpg)

almond
December 30th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I started to get grey hairs at the age of 17... Now I have lots of them, and I don't like it, I tried to grow out dye but I just found it weird on me. So I'll keep using henna until I get bored of it - I think I will have white hair around 50 like some of my family members.

ArienEllariel
December 30th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Porbably not. If I did anything it would be henna/cassia.

anemix1005
December 31st, 2011, 12:00 AM
I'll dye it but nothig permamnent, so I can decide to stop using dye on it when I want to and then have all my lovely grey hair :D but I have no idea when it's going to happen, my dad started with a grey strand in the front left part of the hair, righ above his forehead and it looked awesome! (I hope I get that), now he has a lot more than that strand but still looks good! (: if I get that, I won't dye it :D

battles
December 31st, 2011, 12:05 AM
I actually plan on doing the opposite. :D

I'm going to hopefully continue to henna until I get a decent amount of silver going on, and then I'll decide whether to cut the henna and start over or to grow it out.

starrydawn
December 31st, 2011, 12:12 AM
If it goes gray, I'll probably dye it, but if it goes white I'll keep it. I'd love to have white hair, so if I decided to I can put fun colors in it without having to use bleach.

auburntressed
December 31st, 2011, 12:15 AM
I don't plan to ever use a chemical dye on my hair, but I currently use henna. I haven't noticed any graying or blonding of my roots yet, though I suppose 29 is too early for some to expect that. Although I do have a few friends who started to struggle with grays when they were just about my age.

In any case, I plan to continue with the henna for a good long time. I love my natural auburn, but the henna improves the texture of my hair too much to give it up. I guess at some point, I might decide to stop and let whatever natural grays I have grow out. I'm not sure when that will be, though. Maybe when I get into my 50's.

If I do at some point in my life decide to ditch the henna and let whatever my shade is at the time to grow out, I'll likely switch to cassia treatments to keep the benefits of henna as much as I can.

piffyanne
December 31st, 2011, 01:39 AM
Prepare to be confused by my post. Apologies in advance.:cheese:

I've been planning to be a Renegray since before I knew what it was or why it was awesome to be one. In fact, you can ask my DBF: he can tell you how often I tell him I'm looking forward to having grey hair! (Call me crazy. I dare you! :p)

On the other hand, I've seen the color I'll probably have (all 4 grandparents had about the same color, and mom's been dying hers to hide it for years!) and it's not a favorite color, but it'll be mine, and I intend to love it. HOWEVER, my dad's getting in some lovely white hairs in his mustache, and one of my mom's cousins has pure white/silver hair, so there might be a silver lining to my genetics (I wish I could pick my shade of grey--I want white or silver by first pick, but I won't be dying it, whatever my fate), however unlikely.:D

woolyleprechaun
December 31st, 2011, 01:52 AM
Meh, I think I'll just keep going with the henna :) I quite fancy being an older lady with orange hair ;)

Cania
December 31st, 2011, 02:16 AM
Gray hair is silver for the women in my family. I only plan to stop dying it when it goes such a beautiful shade! I've always wanted grey or silver hair, it's so beautiful.. but I'd never bleach to get it at my age.

Luckily women in my family go grey in their 20s :P

Shesta
December 31st, 2011, 04:25 AM
I've already have some silver-grays in my hair and I love them. They are quite dispersed though and one has to look careful to notice them. I won't dye them. I've never dyed my hair and I just can't imagine myself doing it in future.

wicked kisses
December 31st, 2011, 04:29 AM
I guess I'm lucky in that my grey is coming in light blonde/silvery in two streaks on either side of my 'hawke'. that's sorta at either corner of my forehead. They've been slowly spreading and *will not* take regular dyes. But then, dye fades fast on me.

zombi
December 31st, 2011, 04:56 AM
if it comes in silver, I'll keep it. if it comes in any other kind of grey, it's getting dyed over.

kaiakai
December 31st, 2011, 05:54 AM
I'm not sure, so I voted for the cheese. I'm really enjoying using henna these days, but I can't say how long this trend will last or if I will like it (the henna) when the gray starts coming in.

If I stop henna, thoght, I probably will NOT dye the gray, unless it is some fun color. :)

XcaliburGirl
December 31st, 2011, 07:32 AM
I voted No, but I do think I might experiment with some Manic Panic dyes if I know they will wash out well.

My gray strands (all 2 of them) are stark white against my dark hair.

PrairieRose
December 31st, 2011, 07:57 AM
I have recently started using henna. I do love the color but if I start to see greys coming in, I think I will stop dying and let the greys show.

Hiriel
December 31st, 2011, 08:22 AM
I doubt it. I've never coloured my hair, it just seems like way too much hassle :p
Yes, I'm lazy. I'm sure that's good for my hair ;)

RiotPrrl
December 31st, 2011, 08:35 AM
I have no idea what I'll do. If I'm still doing henna I'll probably do that but if not, then I don't know.

jujube
December 31st, 2011, 08:43 AM
I have no idea. I think it's going to depend on a lot of factors. At what age my hair will start to go grey, what length my hair is then, what length I want it then, my occupation, how grey hair suits me, etc. I'd love to not dye it, but I can't say for sure that I won't. Especially now that I've discovered natural dyes.

Amber_Maiden
December 31st, 2011, 08:52 AM
Nope, I welcome the grey, and I want to look natural.

Zesty
December 31st, 2011, 09:03 AM
Of course I might change my mind, but I don't think I will. I kind of like the look of grays, and I'm way too lazy/low maintenance to color. I don't really know what my hair will look like though, since my mom colors her hair to cover the gray and my hair definitely takes after her... I just hope I'll have the self-confidence to buck the trend when the time comes.

Hollyfire3
December 31st, 2011, 09:21 AM
It depends on when i go grey...if its on my 50s or so, i wont dye, if it is before, and not my whole head...oh i proably still wont dye...lol i dont know yet, depends on how it looks...a few strands would look cool but so would a whole head of them, but i LOVE my dark brown color...such a hard decision will proably just let them grow in, best of both worlds..until they are white then they will be amazing!

MissCoco
December 31st, 2011, 10:04 AM
I feel 90&#37; sure that I'll let time take it's effect on my hair and go natural. Sure, I love my brunette hair, but I also don't feel horrified with the idea of graying hair. I think it's cool that I'll be tiny, wise little old lady with silver classic length someday, hopefully. :D And who knows, maybe using ayurvedic oils all these years (many of which prevent premature graying) will allow me to have my brunette color for a long time! :eyebrows:

Diamond.Eyes
December 31st, 2011, 10:13 AM
If I start greying at a young age I will probably dye my hair. But I don't really see myself dying my hair as an old woman. Besides, my great grandfather had the same hair color as me when he was young and he went strawberry blonde instead of grey, so I'm pretty sure my hair will take that route as well.:)

ashleyrox
December 31st, 2011, 10:20 AM
I have 15 to 20 grays in my part line, my family says until I point them out they don't see them. Its the only place I seem to have gray now. They bug me. I may change my mind in time but now I don't like them.

3azza
December 31st, 2011, 10:29 AM
When u start graying at 18, of course you will want to dye your hair by the time you're 24 and the grays are spreading everywhere. I henna just to cover the grays only.
I'm sure that i will leave it all gray one day, maybe at middle age or maybe before, who knows :)

noelgirl
December 31st, 2011, 01:11 PM
Depends on when, but probably - if I take after my mom, I'll probably be significantly gray by my early 30's, and I think that would just look weird.

BrightEyes
December 31st, 2011, 01:20 PM
Well, I highlight and color my hair right now because I don't like my natural color. So yes, I'm sure I'll continue when my hair is gray. But my goal isn't too long, only BSL give or take an inch or two. And I'm trying to quit all the other damaging hair habits I've aquired over the years. So I'm not too worried about it.

mktmgt
December 31st, 2011, 01:33 PM
If I start greying at a young age I will probably dye my hair. But I don't really see myself dying my hair as an old woman. Besides, my great grandfather had the same hair color as me when he was young and he went strawberry blonde instead of grey, so I'm pretty sure my hair will take that route as well.:)

My grandma had red hair that faded to strawberry blonde too! A lot of people have made fun of my red hair, but they'll wish they had it in fifty years when my hair is stawberry blonde and theres is grey. :lol:.

leslissocool
December 31st, 2011, 01:37 PM
I don't think I can give up henna! Just think of the gorgeous red streaks on my hair :crush: I told my BFF (who's 22 and already has grey hair) that I couldn't wait till I could get the awesome effects with henna! My hair doesn't go grey or silver though, my family has white (like snow) hair. So I want to have fun with it!

AcornMystic
December 31st, 2011, 01:48 PM
I chose that I would put cheese on my head. It's actually a little undecided, as who knows what awesome colours I could get out of my hair with the natural streaking if I dye over it. I'm not urged to do it right now though, so I'm not worried.

I'm only 22, but I have it in my family to grey early. My mom started when she was an early teen. Salt and pepper for most of her life and then bam, she starting going white! She's had white hair for as long as I can remember, she had me when she was 42, and white is the colour I know for my mom. She is in her late 60's and I think it looks awesome. Now I don't want to silver so early, I seem to have escaped the prominence of that gene unlike my older sister who started silvering when she was my age, a little earlier. On her black hair it looks awesome and she's gotten compliments, but I want to enjoy my dark hair for a while, although I seem to have a silver sheen to my hair. I don't see greying/silvering as a bad thing. I'll get to save on dye for silver streaks. :D XD

ETA: Oh, and I say silvering instead of greying because a large portion of hair in my generation is silver (though my dad had what looked like dull steely hair with his black; one of us could have gotten his gene). I'm using my sister as reference.

Kira94
December 31st, 2011, 03:38 PM
I don't really know yet, I'm only 17, haven't really thought about it much. It would be kind of strange to start going grey, but at the same I've never dyed or really done anything to my hair besides cut it before, so it would also be odd to start then. I suppose we'll see when the time comes. :)
However, my Grandma on my mum's side and my dad's both still have mostly dark hair in their late 60s, and neither of them dye. So I'm not entirely sure what my hair will do.

I know this lovely lady in her late 50s early 60s who has the most gorgeous rich brown knee length hair. She's very proud of the fact that she has never dyed her her. I thought it was rather amazing, she said her mother and sisters had all gone grey or white but she hadn't got a single grey hair yet. :)
I wish I could take a picture, her hair is amazing!

Springlets
December 31st, 2011, 04:15 PM
It depends on when I start to go gray and how much comes in. If I start to get a few strands after I'm 40 I'll probably just keep em. I think streaks of gray are pretty and distinguished on older women. But if I go gray earlier than that I'll hopefully get by with just natural methods like catnip tea or cassia. I don't have any gray yet, even though my mom went gray when she was younger than me.

Mesmerise
December 31st, 2011, 11:21 PM
Well I voted YES because I already am. However, I only use henna nowadays, so I am kinda restricted when it comes to colour ;). Still, I'm not ready to go grey yet... maybe one day... when I'm mid 50s or so.

I don't like being told "OMG you're going grey! You're too young for grey hair!"

NativeGirl
January 1st, 2012, 12:12 AM
I started going grey when I was 17. Back then, I just used a black sharpie to cover the few strands I had. By the time I was 18, I began using chemical dye. I still color my hair, but now I do a two step Henna/Indigo process. I'm sure eventually I'll let it go grey, but I'm not ready for the world to see my hair tinsel right now.