PDA

View Full Version : Question about washing.

wissles
May 3rd, 2009, 11:45 PM
I just read a thread saying that cones might not let moisture in. I deep condition and oil sometimes, but my ends still feels a bit dry so I was thinking it's because my schampoo contains cones, I checked it yesterday and it did.
But I love my schampoo and I need it since it's loaded with protein and my hair is a little weak. So I don't want to give it up.

But, if I use my regular schampoo with cones and protein, and right after that use a cone-free SLS schampoo to get rid of the silicones from the first schampoo, then moisturize (condition or deep condition), is that okay?

aisling
May 4th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I think your own suggestion of double shampooing sounds like too much shampoo, too drying for your already dry ends. Cones in a shampoo aren't as big a problem as in conditioners as the sulfates in the shampoo pretty much wash them away (I've never understod the reason to put them there in the first place). Same thing with the protein in the shampoo.

I think a conditioner with protein would do more good than a shampoo. At least I generally wash only the scalp with shampoo and not the whole length, which I assume is the part that needs protein (does it really?). In that case it would make more sense to use a protein (and many times cone) conditioner and any shampoo you find useful.

Too much protein can also make your hair feel dry and brittle, don't forget that. Build up is another thing that can make your ends feel very dry all the time and not only cones build up, also oils and moisturizing ingredients can build up, not everybody experiences this but my own hair is sensitive.

Niphredil
May 4th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Too much protein can also make your hair feel dry and brittle, don't forget that. Build up is another thing that can make your ends feel very dry all the time and not only cones build up, also oils and moisturizing ingredients can build up, not everybody experiences this but my own hair is sensitive.
Whenever my ends are dry, crisp and brittle (no damage here) it is almost always because of build-up. I either need to wash the entire length with SL(E)S shampoo or use baking-soda. That usually helps restoring my ends to be supple and smooth again. If you on the other hand have damaged ends, that might also be a cause.

My personal experience with cones is that with regular washing (twice a week in my case) there is no lack of moisture.

BTW, have you read Ursula's article with her Standard Newbie advice (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39)about experimenting and finding one's routine? I suggest you check it out! Doing too much at once to one's hair doesn't work well on most.