PDA

View Full Version : Self Trim

LisaButz2001
May 3rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
I did my first ever self trim today. I was petrified, so much so that at first the scissors wouldn't slice through the ends I was attempting to cut, but it worked. I have a slightly rounded hemline, and the length change is barely noticeable. However, my ends still feel coarse, not at all silky like after a salon trim. This was after a shampoo, condition and blowdry. Although I don't have many splits does the rough feeling mean I should cut more off? What are other possible reasons?

Silver & Gold
May 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Although cutting more off may be what is called for another thing to consider is how good your scissors are. You really need to have very good, sharp scissors for a good self trim.

Furiana
May 4th, 2009, 09:29 AM
What Silver & Gold said. :) Even if you were nervous, hair-cutting shears should have cut! At least, mine don't slip at all. :shrug:

JamieLeigh
May 4th, 2009, 09:31 AM
What they said. Make sure you have very sharp scissors that you ONLY use for hair-trimming!

Pixna
May 4th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Ditto to what everyone else said. I have very pricey scissors (that I got at Sally's Beauty Supply) -- they are designed for hair cutting and are very sharp. I NEVER use them for anything else, and I store them very carefully so they do not get damaged.

In addition to having high-quality hair scissors, consider whether you cut your hair wet or dry. Having your hair wet, or damp, can make a difference in how it feels after the trim. If you cut your hair dry, wait until the next time you wash and/or wet it -- you might find that the ends are smoother than you thought.