PDA

View Full Version : Sore from wearing hair up.

mankefam
May 3rd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Do you ever get sore from wearing hair up all the time? I only wear it up once in a while right now. It seems like my hair is what is sore but maybe it's just the hair is getting pulled in a different direction and that is what makes it sore. What do you think?

spidermom
May 3rd, 2009, 02:27 PM
Hair doesn't have any nerves, so it has to be your scalp that is sore.

mankefam
May 3rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Ya, that is what I figured. It just feels like it's the hair, lol. Why does that happen? Does it happen to any body else?

jivete
May 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Mine gets sore. I'm not sure why. Sometimes it's because my scalp is dirty. Since my hair isn't heavy, it isn't the weight and I don't usually wear my updos very tight.

spidermom
May 3rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
Well, there are nerves at hair follicles in the scalp, which is where hair comes from, so it wouldn't be too out of line to say that your hair gets sore. Mine gets sore too, especially at the nape of my neck, probably from hair that naturally should hang down being pulled up. It gets so bad that I can't stand to put my hair up but I also can't stand my hair touching and moving around on the nape of my neck. Those are really bad days! Thank goodness they don't happen too often.

AJoifulNoise
Mine only gets sore if I do an updo too tight or if there is pulling on a paticular spot. Otherwise, I have no problem.

I will also say that I wear my hair up just about every day, so it is definately used to it by now.

SheWolf
I switch hairdos throughout the day.
Hi up when I workout, low the rest of the time, half up in between, loose at night and so on.

AnneAdeline
May 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
This sometimes happens if I do a particularly tight updo. It also happens if I part my hair in a different spot (like a side part) for the day.

Silver & Gold
May 3rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
This happens to me quite often when I try to wear ponytails. It's really hard to find the perfect balance that doesn't pull my hair anywhere on my scalp. However, when I wear a bun or french twist secured with hairsticks I don't have this problem as long as I don't try to fasten the bun too tight. As long as nothing pulls I do just fine. Also, if I french braid I can secure my hair in a ponytail holder, it's just when I do it as a loose ponytail that I have trouble.

lynnala
May 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
Yep, it happens to me all the time. My scalp starts to hurt. I pretty much stopped wearing updos and just do a braid or pigtails now because of that.

Phalaenopsis
May 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
I have a sore head when I wear two french braids too long. After a day of school or something, I really want to take it out, but some other days, I can keep going, very strange.

elliebean184
May 3rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
I wear my hair up a lot for work, always the same way- a cinnabun, since that's all I can do without a mirror! For me, a good scalp massage does wonders and feels great after a stressful day.
Afterwards, I make an effort to do some looser styles, that usually takes care of it.
I hope your scalp and hair feel better soon!

mankefam
May 3rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
Oh good! So I am not the only one.:p

Hey by the way, is my siggy ok?

Guess not! It didn't show up.

mankefam
May 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
My siggy isn't working?!:(

How do you massage your scalp? Just wondering if there is a certain way to do it.

janeytilllie
May 3rd, 2009, 03:58 PM
It only hurts if I do a tight updo. But ponytails always hurt and pull my scalp so I rarely do them.

enfys
May 3rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
I get a feeling, not pain but a sensation like every strand is just *wrong* when I take my hair down after it's been up if it's dirty. Sadly that's kind of often...

mankefam
May 3rd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Ya, that is how mine feels too. Gives me a headache sometimes.

Anybody know why my siggy isn't showing up?

Carolyn
May 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
I get a sore scalp too now and then. It happens when my hair is dirty and I've gone beyond the day I need to wash it. I'll do a scalp massage with some kind of favorite hair oil and then wash. Presto! All is better :)

sandigirl
May 3rd, 2009, 06:46 PM
I only wear my hair up at the beach/to swim. Otherwise it just hurts as my hair is very thick and heavy.

aahavaa
May 3rd, 2009, 07:46 PM
I get that too ,even a normal ponytail, the pain is horrible it feels like every hair (or nerve connected to the hair )hurts.So I never wear my hair up unless its something very loose held in place with a clawclip.

Jessica Trapp
May 3rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
My head gets sore if I don't have the weight distributed very well or one of the hairpins is pulling the wrong direction. I can wear a crown braid--where the weight is mostly on top rather than in the back--all day without any trouble.

:flower:

Silver Strands
May 3rd, 2009, 07:56 PM
Mine will hurt if I wear it too high on my head.
And, if it pulls too much then I will get a headache.

I read somewhere that each follicle has a tiny muscle and if you style your hair the opposite way it strains the muscle and causes the pain.
I can't remember where I read it though.
I found it very interesting.

Jessica Trapp
May 3rd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Mine will hurt if I wear it too high on my head.
And, if it pulls too much then I will get a headache.

I read somewhere that each follicle has a tiny muscle and if you style your hair the opposite way it strains the muscle and causes the pain.
I can't remember where I read it though.
I found it very interesting.

Hey, that's interesting! I wonder if that is how hair gets "trained" into a specific style... :ponder:

mankefam
May 3rd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks so much for the replies. I am glad I'm not the only one.

*BelievingAgain
May 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Ohh, that is SUCH an uncomfortable feeling... my hair has only just reached a length that allows me to wear it up on a daily basis (although I am starting to discover the loveliness of wearing it down with a flower or clip, even though it is not at it's absolute best in terms of length and my own personal goals) but I remember when I had tailbone-length hair and would get the aches quite often! A gentle (ie not pulled too tight) braid always helped me to prevent that horrible pulling/aching feeling. :)

Thenin
May 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
I get achy too. I also have problems with the fact that my hair is thick and so makes my head heavy after wearing it up for a while.

inertia
May 4th, 2009, 03:43 AM
My scalp gets sore if I wear it in any style besides a low ponytail or loose. Last summer I mostly kept my hair in updos for over a month because of the heat and my scalp never got used to it. It was just really sore the entire time. I was so miserable I wanted to cut my hair off.

It also gets sore if I don't wash it, regardless of the style. I have about 30 hours from the time I shampoo before it starts to ache.

Carina
May 4th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Tight updos makes my scalp very unhappy and sore.I never do the same updo two days in a row.Scalpmassages works wonders for me;).

Ndnlady
May 4th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I only get a sore scalp if my updo is too tight, or not cooperating with me, no matter how many times I re-do it! The nice thing is hubby likes to take my hairstick out at night, fingercomb, then rub my scalp for me!:)

MadPirateBippy
May 4th, 2009, 11:06 AM
My hair does that sometime. Just keep switching up updos and it goes away after a while.

NebraskaChick84
May 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM
my scalp does get sore if I put it up too tightly. It's a fine line to walk, with a updo that is tight enough it won't fall out right away but not so tight it will make my scalp sore.

NebraskaChick84
May 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Ya, that is how mine feels too. Gives me a headache sometimes.

Anybody know why my siggy isn't showing up?
did you check the "show your signature" box?