PDA

View Full Version : To dye or not to dye

themostsilly
April 5th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Okay, I just gave up dying my hair in November (every month with demi-permanent for 2.5 years), and I swore I would never do it agian. I pretty much like my natural color and like the natural highlights that are coming in, but I prefer a slightly darker more neutral tone of brown. So I have my graduation pics next week and would love it if I could take down some of the brassiness in my hair and darken slightly if possible. I would like to do this naturally, but not really sure how to go about it. Since I have little time I wonder if I should just dye it one last time with the demi-permanent dye, so it looks better for the pic.
I have read some posts about molasses, coffee, and rosemary -would any of these be good options to take down the brassiness quickly? I have also read about henna but am learing of trying it since it is permanent. I would love to hear about something natural someone has used with great success.

*BelievingAgain
April 5th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Hello themostsilly! Congratulations on your impending graduation, how exciting for you!

I'm not very well-versed in using alternative 'ingredients' (sorry, couldn't think of another word!) for darkening hair, but I have used quite a few different shade-altering products from health food stores.

I'm hoping it's ok for me to mention certain brand-names on here, if it isn't then Mods. please feel free to delete this post! Here in Australia we have a kind-of henna-mix (it has other ingredients in with it) which you can buy in powder or pre-mixed liquid form called 'Colora'. I think it's actually manufactured in the U.S. It comes in lots of different shades, and whenever I've used it it's been very effective, but tends to wash out quite a bit after a couple of months...it doesn't seem to have that 'permanent' effect which straight henna, indigo, etc. seems to have.

I have to go, partner needs the computer, but I'll check in later to see if you've found some other help. You could try the alternative products/colouring board too.

Jess :flower: