PDA

View Full Version : Help me getting rid of semi-perm dye - Pics

Gothic Lolita
May 3rd, 2009, 12:24 PM
Over a month ago I dyed my hair with semi-permanent black hair dye, which was supposed to last 8 washes. I did it for Graduation week because I went as Snow White and also always wanted to know how I look with black. (feel free to visit my blog for further really stupid pics ;))

Here is a before pic:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e390/Destillat/LetzteSchulwoche032.jpg

And here one after:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e390/Destillat/Asitag054.jpg

As you can see it didn't go black, but I liked the color and suited me also. ( and please ignor my ends, on both pic I wore a bun whole day and this always leaves my ends looking a bit unkempt)

Before I coloured I consulted Nightshade, because I was worried the dye might interfere with Henna. She suggested a strand test, which I did, also to make sure the color would wash out. It did.

Only, it doesn't on my head. What I didn't think about beforehand was, that I don't shampoo my length. So over a month after this my hair is still dark brown with tiny tiny streaks of my natural color coming through. :cheese:

I'd really like to have it back to normal, I'm graduating next month and also attend a golden wedding and want to look polished and well-kept.
I shampoo 3-4 times a week with diluted herbal shampoo, but maybe this isn't enough. To try and get out more of the dye I also tried:
wetting my hair
applying a warm/hot mixture of coconut, olive and sunflower oil overnight
and then shampooing my entire hair with dandruff shampoo (I heard it takes out color).

There came out a lot of dye, but it is still very dark and I'm not sure how often I should repeat this method. My hair didn't look of felt stripped afterwards, but it's still not that good.
I'm planning to do this again tomorrow and see what happens, but other suggestions would be welcome here.

And I also tried baking soda, because it's alkaline. I dissolved 1 and 1/2 teaspoons in about 400ml of warm water, put it on and let it sit. It didn't do any thing to my hair, neither cleaned it or dried it out. Maybe the concentration was too low, but I'm afraid to put on more, I don't want to ruin my hair.

So in short: I've tried this two methods, one without any effect, the other with a good one, but I'm concerned it might be bad for my length.
When you have a nice and natural (I don't want anything like ColorFix) idea how to pull out the black dye, please share it here! I'm grateful for every suggestion!

Unofficial_Rose
May 3rd, 2009, 12:30 PM
Maybe try an overnight soak in olive oil, shampoo out in the morning? This sometimes helps lift excess colour. At least it won't harm your hair.

Your hair is stunning, btw!

Gypsygirl
May 3rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
I have no advice for you...but your hair is absolutely gorgeous! :shocked:
I had to say that. ;)

Silver Strands
May 3rd, 2009, 12:37 PM
I think i've read that baby shampoo can remove some dye also.

I hope you get it out. Your hair is lovely.

spidermom
May 3rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
Your hair is beautiful. I've heard that a warm oil treatment left overnight will pull color, and it won't harm your hair at all. Repeat often.

Demetrue
May 3rd, 2009, 12:45 PM
Just keep doing the oil at night, shampoo the next day. If you do it 3X a week, the shampoo shouldn't hurt your hair and the oil is moisturizing and protecting it any way.

Isilme
May 3rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
Maybe try a clarifying shampoo? Also try CO. I know you said you don't want to use colorfix, but from what I gathered there are three bottles and you can use two of them but not the third because it contains peroxide. Worth to research a bit? A yogurt treatment could also help.

mankefam
May 3rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
I don't have any idea about your question....But....I just wanted to say your hair is beautiful!! That is the length I want...:( I have so many inches to grow.

argyle
May 3rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
I have nothing useful to add but wanted to say your hair is beautiful. What's the current length? It looks so shiny and healthy! *sigh* I wish mine was as nice :(

cindy58
May 3rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Your hair is really beautiful -- so shiny and healthy looking. Hope you can get the results you're after!

ratgirldjh
May 3rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
Once when I used permanent dye and my hair came out too dark - I was told to put on conditioner and leave it on for an hour and then wash it out. I did this and it took off quite a lot of the dye and my hair was the right color.

Maybe it will help to remove some of the dye.

rach
May 3rd, 2009, 03:43 PM
i'd suggest heavy oiling over night with olive oil. i've had lot's of luck getting henna stains out of my skin using it when i accidentally glopped my skin with it . i also believed it was interfering with my hennas hold on my hair so i stopped using it and moved to alternative oils which seems to be working.
hope this helps.
love the shine in your hair by the way :D

Michele
May 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Wow your hair is so pretty!!

Anyhow, i once had the same problem and found out that an anti-dandruff shampoo worked pretty well to remove a lot of color. Those kind of shampoos tend to be drying a lot, so if you'd consider trying this i would suggest using a good moisturizing treatment after that as well.

tinker bug
May 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Around december, I put a purple streak in my hair that supposed to come out in a month, 3 months later it was still there... I was having troubles with my scalp, and took up ACV rinses; the purple left in a week!
Now, I'm not totally confidant that it was the ACV that took it out, because the purple had been fading before hand. However, ACV is a cheap (around $3 in the states) alternative to ColorFix, and made my hair extra super dooper soft C: I'd say give it a try--you can't really go wrong, and if you have any scalp issues in the future, you'll already have ACV!

Unnamed
May 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
I'm another that would suggest olive oil (and *just* olive oil, no other oils mixed in) overnight or left on up in the 6 hours or more range. Also use enough so that it's thoroughly soaked (not dripping, but close). I did this way back to take the inky edge off of the permanent black dye.

If you're worried about shampooing it out being too stripping, try a moisturising treatment after. The first few times I did the oil soak, I washed it out with dish soap, then did an SMT type mix (honey, aloe vera, and conditioner), and let that sit for an hour.

Gothic Lolita
May 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words and compliments!

Today I did another soak of olive and sunlower oil (left out the coconut this time) and my hair was nearly dripping. I let it sit for about 7 hours and then shampooed, again like last time, with dandruff shampoo and conditioned extremly well. A lot of color came out and my hair looks redder, but there's still something left.

I think I'll give the yoghurt a try, my hair needs a bit of protein anyway (at least it feel like this) and if it can get out more of the color, the better.

I didn't know ACV could help with hair dye! That's nice to know, I do occassional ACV rinses and like them very much, now that I know this, I'll be doing them every wash! Thanks again!

KajiKodomo
May 4th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I hope you get the results you are looking for, but I wanted to chime in and say that your hair is gorgeous! :D

LutraLutra
May 4th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Once when I used permanent dye and my hair came out too dark - I was told to put on conditioner and leave it on for an hour and then wash it out. I did this and it took off quite a lot of the dye and my hair was the right color.

Maybe it will help to remove some of the dye.
I agree.

Pre LHC I dyed my hair all the time. One time I accidentally removed my dye by using a very basic cheap 'deep condishioner' sachet. I suggest you buy a couple, wet your hair, load your hair with it, wrap your hair in a towel or cling film (so you hair gets nice and warm) and see if that helps the dye to come out.

If it helps, your hair looks really pretty in both pics. :)

jahof45
May 4th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Wow your hair is beautiful!

misspriss
May 4th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I'd have to say, after reading this, I think I know why my hair never keeps color. I almost exclusively CO.

I know deep conditioning treatmetns have made color come out faster, I'd try the oil first htough.

Nightshade
May 4th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Manic Panic is a direct dye, as is your semi permanent. Here's what they recommend:

- do a hot oil treatment
- wash with hot water and a blend of baby shampoo and a bit of baking soda
- rinse with hot water

I'll add in to condition like mad and do a final rinse with cool water :)

You want things that are alkaline and not acidic to get the dye out.

free_hug
May 5th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I have no clever advice to give, besides the fact that it will fade away... slowly though. But i just can't keep this one back: WOW! Your hair is just amazing!:thudpile:
Even when you think you have serious problems with it :)

Alia
May 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I'm of no help with your dye removal question, but must say how absolutely stunning and shiny your hair is! :thudpile:

Gothic Lolita
May 5th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks again, everyone!

Nightshade, thanks for clarifying this. I wondered about the acidic conditioners, as I've always heard you'd need something alkaline to remove dye and that baby shampoo is alkaline and therefore recommended. Makes this way much more sense since the alkaline shampoo would raise the cuticle, you'd shampoo out more dye and then seal it with the acidic conditioner.

So next time: Hot oil, shampoo with a little baking soda and then conditioning like mad and probably an ACV rinse as I've always success with this!

SimplyLonghair
May 6th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Yes the alkaline works to get rid of dye, I find that Prell works better than almost any shampoo to get rid of dye. I used oil and Prell to lift color off on DD'd hair and then we used mayo to condition. It lifted it almost all, but the hair was very dry on the ends and took up a lot of dye. It lifted about 85% of the dye off. I think that it would have gotten it all if the hair had been in better shape to start with.
The hair was was saturated with oil, like Unnamed said.:rolleyes:

Good luck:cheese::cheese:

vindo
May 6th, 2009, 01:34 AM
All great advice just wanted to add this:

You will also need time, sometimes semi permanent dye can be forever, it is not a "Toenung" like the Box always claims..:rolleyes:

In most cases it will fade a lot after months though. Since it is your first application chances are good it will be close to natural!
Try not to Henna during that time so the dye can get out.

I hope it fades fast!

Hannah83
May 6th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I have no tip for you, i just want to say you have gorgeous hair!

Denebi
May 6th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I tried baking soda once to wash my hair, and it just did nothing (like you experienced). Then I tried it again and used boiling hot water to mix it. The result is something which in German is called "Soda" (whereas baking soda is called "Natron"). This did have an effect, my hair was very clean afterwards, and I think it raised the cuticle a lot (acidic rinse afterwards highly recommended!). Maybe that helps...

Btw: You have gorgeous hair!

Gothic Lolita
May 6th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Emi: Now I too believe it wasn't a Toenung, although the label said it would wash out after 8 washes. I'll never buy this stuff again! Didn't plan to anyway, as it was just a fun thing, but now.... The application is now over 6 weeks ago. I don't plan to henna in between, but I want to before the wedding in 4 weeks, that's why I want to get it out now!

Denebi: Yes, sodium bicarbonate loses the second carbon atom and becomes a stronger cleaning agents than just the bicarbonate form. Maybe I'll need to mix it with really hot water like you did. The secessiond happens at 70°C, I bet my water was a lot cooler.

Anyway, I think I'm slowly seeing build-up from the Head&Shoulders I used now. Not really the coney type, but my hair doesn't feel right. So, for today it's oiling later, then working out while letting it soak in and so adding a little extra warmth, shampooing with herbal shampoo and baking soda (mixed together with hot water), extreme condtioning and AVC rinse!

Red, here I come again!

vindo
May 6th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Just wanted to say that the acidity of the henna can lock in some dye by smoothing the cuticles, actually Schuppenschicht schliessen/ anlegen explains it better.
I did not Henna for almost a year when I had to get rid of my semi perm. dye...