PDA

View Full Version : For the wurlies and curlies!

Pixna
May 3rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
--1. Did you always know you were a wurly/curly or did you discover your hair's true nature later in your life? If later, how did you "discover" it?

--2. When you knew/discovered you were a wurly/curly, how did your routine change?

--3. Do you always wear your hair wurly/curly or do you ever wear it straight? If you wear it straight, how do you get it that way?

--4. What have you tried that worked and/or didn't work to bring out your wurls/curls?

--5. What is your current routine?

Silverlox
May 3rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
--1. Did you always know you were a wurly/curly or did you discover your hair's true nature later in your life? If later, how did you "discover" it?

Nope, I had no idea. I always thought I was a 1b/1c, with just the slightest hint of waves and a bit of flipping at the ends.
I think my hair changed texture after going grey. because I've never been this wurly before.
I discovered it as it grew longer. I hardly have any wurls above chin length, but the longer it gets, the wurlier it gets too.

--2. When you knew/discovered you were a wurly/curly, how did your routine change?

In a way, I discovered it because I changed my routine, not the other way round. I thought my hair was just "fluffy", until I tried oiling it for the first time. That's when it discovered that the "fluff" were actually dry wurls. Since this epiphany, I think about moisturising, and, needless to say, I never go without oil now! :D

--3. Do you always wear your hair wurly/curly or do you ever wear it straight? If you wear it straight, how do you get it that way?

My wurls are weak, probably due to my hair being ultra fine. If I comb it a couple of times while air drying, it will end up rather straight. A wrapped bun will also straighten my hair.
On the other side, I get fantastic braid waves and spiral curls from twisted updo's. Fine hair is very pliable.

--4. What have you tried that worked and/or didn't work to bring out your wurls/curls?

No conventional gels or mousses worked. They just dried it out even more and created a big, frizzy, fuzzy, fluffy mess of it. :(
Moisture works wonders! Lots of conditioner, plus leave-in conditioner plus a very light oiling of the ends while still damp. If I want more wurl definition, Aloe Vera Gel works very well! :D
If I plop in addition to the above, I get spiralling wurls all the way down the length. :inlove:

Wash approximately once a week. Pre-wash heavy oiling over night. CWC. Conditioner on length, wash with extremely diluted shampoo. Repeat shampoo. Condition all. Towel dry with my microfiber turbie twist. Add a couple of drops of coconut oil to the ends. Then leave-in condition. Air dry or plop, depending on time and degree of laziness.

I don't do much to it between washes. If it starts acting up, getting static or feeling dry, I'll add another drop of coconut oil or a little more leave-in to the bottom 12". Otherwise, it's just brushing, combing, braiding, updo's.

Elenna
May 3rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Did you always know you were a wurly/curly or did you discover your hair's true nature later in your life? If later, how did you "discover" it? I always knew that my hair wasn't gloriously straight. I was always trying to get the wurls/curls out of my hair. Mostly I blew it straight and used a curling iron to straighten my hair. That and hair dye made my hair a disaster.

When you knew/discovered you were a wurly/curly, how did your routine change? My routine changed only upon discovering LHC. Fine hair is fragile hair.

Do you always wear your hair wurly/curly or do you ever wear it straight? If you wear it straight, how do you get it that way? Some days my hair would behave, other days it would get wavy or worse frizzy.

What have you tried that worked and/or didn't work to bring out your wurls/curls? I'm still trying to get rid of the waves. I discovered that longer and well-conditioned hair tames the waves.

What is your current routine? CWC!

LadyEliza
May 3rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
I was born with straight hair, it didn't go curly until I was 40.

I'm 47 now, and still struggling with learning how to deal with it.

It stays up much better curly then it did when it was straight.

Mostly I wash it and leave it air dry and just wear it up with a hair stick.

elliebean184
May 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
I've always had curly hair, but pretended it wasn't till I was 16 or so. (Lots of damaging straightening and relaxing did the curls in.) When I forgot to trim my hair for a year in college, it turned curly again!

I've started combing in the shower, which I didn't do much before. And now I'm much more particular about the products I use- minimal 'cones except for my leave-in.

I gave up on straight hair. :P

Now I CO and shampoo every two weeks or so. Afterwards, I drip dry with some leave in conditioner for nice curls, but I'm still tweaking my strategy.

Pixna
May 3rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Thank you, Silverlox, Elenna, Lady Eliza, and Elliebean!!

viking_quest
May 3rd, 2009, 03:55 PM
I always thought I had straight hair and then I decided to wash it, not comb it, and then see what it would look like and I found out I was a wurly.

My routine didn't change at all except that I stopped combing it while wet. I am planning on trying CO during the summer though to see how that works out.

I can get my hair straight just by combing it while wet. My wurls don't really like to stay and like to straighten out by themselves.

Nothing really.

CWC.

GlassEyes
May 3rd, 2009, 04:13 PM

XDD My hair used to be kept so short I never knew what it was really like. I had originally assumed I had 4a/4b hair, and never questioned why it still looked different than my cousins on my father's side. My mom's ex said, upon recently seeing me for the first time in years (and for the first time with long hair) that I had a great 'wave pattern' when it was shroter, and asked if that'd come back if I cut it. So I might've had 'wavy' hair, but somehow, I doubt it.

After it started getting further and further between trims, though, I known it was curly, and I HATED it.

I shoved gel and leave ins in. For a while, that worked, until I started putting more and more and more, and so much product/hairspray it became crunchy as hell.

I've worn it straight maybe...seven or eight times in my life. Sometimes it turns wavy when ti's been contained in a segmented ponytail, but that's it.

I would've worn it a lot straight in the past, but it used to be so hard to straighten...now that I'm fof cones, though, and have better hair, it takes less than an hour, ironically. xD With a good flatiron, even less.

A bunch of stuff. Most everything after I started CO has worked though. Cones don't work as well.

CO only with a variety of conditioners, useless Suave Aloe Vera and waterlily conditioner and Aubrey organics Honeysuckle Rose. Then I leave some (or rather, a lot) in, and mix some boots curl creme with some more conditioner and section my hair to apply it. Then I use some gel and leave it alone.

Pixna
May 3rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Thank you, Viking Quest and GlassEyes -- I really appreciate your honesty!

curls2grow
May 3rd, 2009, 04:58 PM
1. Did you always know you were a wurly/curly or did you discover your hair's true nature later in your life? If later, how did you "discover" it?
Mine has been a curse since childhood. I used to chemically straighten my hair in high school and college. It involved going out of town to a good salon, so I needed Mom's approval/transportation to get there, otherwise I wouldn't have waited so long! :cool:

When I stopped chemically straightening, hot-rolling and blow-drying my hair, I was using silicone products to help with shine and help control frizzies. When I noticed that my hair looked coated and dull (I never heard of clarifying until I found LHC and NC.com), I decided to get rid of cones in products and do CO washing.

Always curly. Closest I come to straight is when it's pulled back into a bun. And it always looks like crud when I take it out of a bun.

Plopping worked when my hair was above neck length, but not so much at shoulder length. Relatively new product that I've tried that's working for me is No Frizz Curly/Wavy cream by Living Proof.

* CO wash every other day with a rotating cast of cone-free conditioners. WO wash on the in-between days.
* Apply leave-in when I get out of the shower. I don't even try to comb or finger-comb until leave-in is in my hair.
* apply gel or Living Proof No Frizz curly/wavy stuff.
* Air dry. Without touching. If I can.
* I always carry ammo for an updo, in case hair decides to revolt during the course of the day.

psvzum
May 3rd, 2009, 08:04 PM
1. Did you always know you were a wurly/curly or did you discover your hair's true nature later in your life? If later, how did you "discover" it? As a little girl, my mother brushed the heck out of my hair-it was wavy/frizzy. I discovered my curls as an adult when I grew my hair out from a "boys cut". It was a miracle what putting product in your hair can do! No more frizz and very embraceable curls : )

--2. When you knew/discovered you were a wurly/curly, how did your routine change? No brushing; became a product junkie looking for the best curl enhancer for my hair.

--3. Do you always wear your hair wurly/curly or do you ever wear it straight? If you wear it straight, how do you get it that way? As a teenager, I straightened it. As an adult, I wear it curly.

--4. What have you tried that worked and/or didn't work to bring out your wurls/curls? Aloe does not work for my curls. I like Jessie Curl's Confident coils, Max Green Alchemy gel and scrunching my hair upside down. Also, leave it alone once it's "set". No fussing!

--5. What is your current routine? Shampoo once/week. Wet with water every day and spray June Carter leave in Conditioner, comb through with wide tooth comb, add a little gel and scrunch.

Pixna
May 4th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Many thanks, Curls2Grow and psvzum!!!

Curlsgirl
May 4th, 2009, 05:52 AM
For the wurlies and curlies!
--1. Did you always know you were a wurly/curly or did you discover your hair's true nature later in your life? If later, how did you "discover" it? I always knew my hair was wavy but I always brushed it so it was totally frizzy and annoying! It was when I came here and read the Curly Girl book that I started to realize I could have GOOD hair!

--2. When you knew/discovered you were a wurly/curly, how did your routine change? I stopped blowdrying (except bangs and straightening very rarely), started a more gentle way of coloring (highlighting instead of all over color eventually), stopped brushing mostly, oiled, actually everything changed just about.

--3. Do you always wear your hair wurly/curly or do you ever wear it straight? If you wear it straight, how do you get it that way? Less and less straight because the longer it gets the more damage I can tell it does to the more fragile ends especially. I blow dry when do though and then lightly use my CHI straight iron. Have not done this in months though.

--4. What have you tried that worked and/or didn't work to bring out your wurls/curls? What works, almost any curl cream and/or gel, no cones usually, no brushing :shudder: , comb with wide tooth comb (recently after rinsing conditioner out and putting leave-in in to distribute product is working well). Then I try to leave hair competely alone though that is hard especially in the winter. I sometimes help it along with a hair dryer and diffuser. Always dry my bangs with the blow dryer.

Wash about 1-2 times per week with Paul Mitchell color-safe shampoo and whatever thick non-cone conditioner I have handy. Work leave-in in and comb with wide tooth comb (usually Biolage conditioning balm), then work in Boots pink curl cream or sometimes Mop-C or AG re:coil, comb again to distribute, sometimes some gel on the bottom half. Blow dry the top including bangs (just the scalp area, just looks better and it's naturally straighter anyway), then let the rest dry. I add coconut oil as needed when damp or in between washings.

Pixna
May 4th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Thanks so much for sharing your journey, routines, and products, Curlsgirl! Much appreciated!

Honey39
May 4th, 2009, 08:51 AM
[quote=Pixna;572875]--1. Did you always know you were a wurly/curly or did you discover your hair's true nature later in your life? If later, how did you "discover" it?

I was 39 when I found out - i thought I had frizzy hair. It would look nice straightened, but never at other times. Then I came here, and wow - I have curly hair! It forms into ringlets, and looks amazing; it's been one of the biggest ego-boosts I have ever had!

Stopped blow drying it every other day
Stopped brushing it
Wash it ever day
CO-wash only
Comb out only when wet
Scrunch dry with paper towels for the best hair!

So yeah, totally different routine altogether.

I will straighten it for special occasions - I know it's stupid, but it does look amazing straightened. I also think it's 'special' because it takes work and effort, whereas for a straightie, I suppose curly hair would be a special occasion.

I use GHD hair straighteners.

I don't really like gels; I bought curl creams and potions, and I hate them - too many cones and alcohol etc. I am a big fan of good quality leave-in conditioner, to be honest.

See above. It's pretty easy. I colour my hair, so am not sure how long my hair will grow, and for me, it's quality over quantity I think. I want to wear it down and coloured, so I don't think I'm going to have super-long hair.

Pixna
May 4th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks, Honey! You've given me some interesting ideas to try. Are you saying that you CO wash your hair every single day?

Rohele
May 4th, 2009, 09:28 AM
1. Did you always know you were a wurly/curly or did you discover your hair's true nature later in your life? If later, how did you "discover" it?

I've always known I was a wavy. I always considered myself to have a "body wave" - that's what my hair looks like if it's blow dried (think big 90s supermodel type hair). I think, however, it has become curlier as I age - I certainly never had spiral curls forming until a few years ago.

2. When you knew/discovered you were a wurly/curly, how did your routine change?

Always knew, but my routine has changed (until now) as fashion dictated - in the 80s I scrunched with mousse, early 90s had big blow dried hair, and then I tried to flatten it. I discovered the "curly girl" method last year - until then I didn't realize that there perhaps a different way of treating curly/wavy hair. Some of the CG stuff works for me and some doesn't, but overall just knowing I should be trying some different things has helped.

3. Do you always wear your hair wurly/curly or do you ever wear it straight? If you wear it straight, how do you get it that way?

I have fought with my hair since I was a teenager, trying to make it look like what was most fashionable at the time. I'm done. The effort to straighten it is extreme - I need a blow out, followed by flat ironing, and it waves/curls/frizzes the minute moisture hits it (like opening a steaming dishwasher/walking into the bathroom after someone has showered).

4. What have you tried that worked and/or didn't work to bring out your wurls/curls?

Twirling sections and scrunching is the only thing that works for me. Plopping is a disaster (string hunks of hair) as is letting it dry with doing nothing to it. It has to have some sort of product in it or the waves become really unorganized.

5. What is your current routine?

CO washing every second day, with the occasional clarifying shampoo.

I wrap it in a towel for a few minutes, then detangle. I apply a few drops of jojoba oil, then my curl cream and then twirl and scrunch and then don't touch it again.

Since I wash in the evenings the next day I spritz with diluted conditioner, comb and re-twirl the waves with a little jojoba oil (if I'm wearing it down I'll try to redefine the waves - If I'm wearing it up, I just oil it and put it up).

lapushka
May 4th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Discovered it later because of LHC, other forums, Lorraine Massey's book.

Stopped having it blowfried straight.

Right now, I don't think I'll wear it straight anymore.

Combing, brushing the hair when dry.

WC, comb when out of the towel, Jessicurl styling products. It mostly gets diffused to get the wetness out (hate wet hair), it is then left to dry.

Just_Isabel
May 4th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Fun! Questionnaire! :D

I've always had wurly or curly hair, but I never paid much attention to it as a child.

2. When you knew/discovered you were a wurly/curly, how did your routine change?

My routine never changed drastically because of my hair being curly... But I've changed my routine to enhance my curls (and reduce frizz!) a couple of time with smallish things that helped at the time, either because I had some sort of "epiphany" about them (like leaving my hair alone as much as possible while it's drying) or because of someone else's suggestion / example (scrunching, combing after washing it...).

3. Do you always wear your hair wurly/curly or do you ever wear it straight? If you wear it straight, how do you get it that way?

I wear my hair curly most of the time. :agree: I straighten it a couple of times a year with a flat iron. I'm not too worried about the damage because I'm careful and because I do it so seldom.

4. What have you tried that worked and/or didn't work to bring out your wurls/curls?

(I haven't read the other posts yet, so I'm sorry if I repeat what others have already written.)

- Probaby the most important thing, IMO, is not to touch my hair much while it's drying.

- Good, hydrating shampoo and conditioner combo are very important to make my hair feel good. This influences my curl pattern, too.

- A good leave in does wonders to reduce frizz!

- Scrunching is my best friend. :D Thanks to scrunching, I can comb my hair after getting out of the shower without messing it up.

- Washing and scrunching with my head upside down gives the best curls, not sure why. It's not just added volume, the curls really look different on me. :silly:

- I can't comb my hair unless it's wet --> icky frizzy mess otherwise. I never brush it.

- Towel turbans don't work for me (cause frizz). I usually just put a towel over my shoulders and wait for my hair to dry some that way.

5. What is your current routine?

0) If I remember to, I'll comb my hair before getting into the shower. Usually I forget to do this. (This is to reduce annoyance with shed hairs and has nothing to do with the curls, though. - If I get rid of most of them before I start washing, I don't need to worry (too much) about them going down the drain and accumulating there. :lol:)

1) I wash with S&C (herbal essences is working well for me at the moment).

2) Comb as I'm rinsing the conditioner out (sometimes upside down).

3) Scrunch the excess water out

4) stand up straight (with a towel over my shoulders) and comb again (just quickly this time)

5) then I turn my head upside down one more time to scrunch the leave in in

6) stand with my head up and scrunch the sides and back of my hair a couple of times.

7) And that's it. I try to ignore my hair from that point on until it's dry.

Pixna
May 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Wonderful answers, Rohele, Lapushka, and Isabel! It is interesting to see how many different ways those of us in similar hair-type categories manage our hair. Many thanks for your responses!