PDA

View Full Version : The FBI are in on the act, too

BittSweetCherry
May 3rd, 2009, 04:42 AM
Who doesn't love hair under a microscope?

The FBI created this site with good examples of any variation you could think of. (Take a look at the pic of the burnt end - now THAT is scary.)

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/backissu/jan2004/research/2004_01_research01b.htm

AutumnLeaves
May 3rd, 2009, 04:50 AM
Fascinating link; thanks for posting it! I was really interested to see the photomicrograph (if I remember what they were called correctly) of the African American hair compared to the caucasian hair. The African hair appeared to be almost flat and ribbon like. I was surprised at its beauty. Oddly enough, to my mind, the prettiest of the hair pics was the dyed hair. Looked so smooth and sleek and pretty!

rach
May 3rd, 2009, 05:01 AM
(Take a look at the pic of the burnt end - now THAT is scary.)
eek.
was quite interesting to look through. thank you for posting this :D

KatKeRo
May 3rd, 2009, 05:46 AM
Thanks for posting this.

I liked the dyed hair the best also.

Heidi_234
May 3rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Wow that's very comprehensive!
I was equally bothered by the lice egg pic as well as the burnt hair actually.

florenonite
May 3rd, 2009, 08:54 AM
That's fascinating! I want to read through it all, but don't have time as I'm "doing homework" >...>

viking_quest
May 3rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
The dyed hair doesn't even look like hair. It looked more like a picture than hair.

That burnt picture was scary though.

AnneAdeline
May 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Yes, the burnt picture was scary. It's very interesting seeing hair up close.

eyesofsummer
May 3rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
I like the picture of the scissored hair vs. the razor. What a difference!

lynnala
May 3rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
Whoa! I'm glad I don't have the bat hair!:D

UrsaMama
May 5th, 2009, 08:31 PM
That was so cool! I'm a total science geek. I love stuff like that. :p

EdG
May 6th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Very interesting article. Thanks for the link! :)
Ed

Fethenwen
May 6th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Damn, now I have seen pubic hair in microscope :(

Quite an interesting report nevertheless.

MemSahib
May 6th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I guess I never realized the FBI could be more obssessed with hair than we are at LHC!

Cool link. Thanks.

longhairdreams
May 6th, 2009, 09:43 AM
That really was a cool link.

I also finally have a name for a hair condition I have.I wasnt even sure if it had a name.Pili Annulati.My hair has always been banded.Now if anyone asks I can finally have an answer.

Atalaya05
May 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Wow, what a neat site. I also found the lice egg picture disturbing btw, especially as I had a traumatizing experience with lice when I was much younger. The dyed hair doesn't even look real to me though, it's very plasticy looking.

I really liked the series of photos showing different parts of a single hair. We all know how much variation there is from root to tip, but it's really nice to see it up close.

free_hug
May 7th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Nice link. Razor cut vs. scissor cut is quite a spectacular difference... btw, razor cut it bad for your hair? On the microscope pic it doesn't look that bad, but maybe only because it was freshly razor cut.