PDA

View Full Version : New here!

argyle
May 2nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
Hello! My name is Tessa and I am new!! My hair is almost shoulder-length. I had it cut to chin-length in the winter I believe. I have always had trouble growing my hair, even when I take good care of it! I have never had it more than 4 inches below my shoulder -- it just breaks off and stops growing.

Hoping to grow out my hair for some time... I want to be able to french-braid it (:

Anyway, glad to be here!!

adventuring
May 2nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Welcome! Good luck reaching your goal!

Debra83
May 2nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Hi Tessa!! Welcome to LHC! I'm sure you will learn lots of new things here to help you grow your hair longer than you have been able to in the past!

The important thing is to get rid of your scissors!!! BIG step in growing your hair long!! Also, to find a routine of hair care that is the most beneficial for your hair whether is is internal (vitamins, liquids, food) or external (oils, shampoos or conditioners, types of combs, brushes, and leave ins).

I'm SURE it won't take a long time before you are celebrating reaching hip length and beyond!!!

JUST DON'T GIVE UP! if you really want to reach a long length.

argyle
May 2nd, 2009, 10:19 PM
I've got the jist of how to treat my hair... have done so for the past year....

I have acne and am currently on Accutane which has also been making my hair drier, not really dry though... just normal! My hair was extremely oily before... Now I have *normal* hair! That's exciting.

I never blow dry my hair, use straighteners, curlers, or heating appliances of any sort, never brush it when it's wet, etc...

Just have the breaking issue. I am thinking it might be an internal thing now. Any suggestions on specific vitamins to take? I can't take a prenatal vitamin -- they have Vitamin A in them and I am getting an overdose of that as it is (that is what Accutane, the drug I am on, is.)

I wash my hair with Matrix Biolage Normalizing shampoo every other day and put conditioner on the ends. I use CHI Keratin Spray as a leave-in conditioner. I spray it on right before I go to bed. I am a night-showerer!

I think I need a new brush, what is the best kind to get?

Anyone have any tips to offer?

Fifty-Five
May 2nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Maybe someone else would know best, but breakage can be helped with protein, yes? >.>; I remember hearing of a home recipe, one time, involving eggs and beer... wish I could recall it...

Anyway, yeah, protein, I think. o.o;;; ...probably the least helpful post in LHC history x.x;

chrissy-b
May 2nd, 2009, 10:56 PM
Hello! My name is Tessa and I am new!! My hair is almost shoulder-length. I had it cut to chin-length in the winter I believe. I have always had trouble growing my hair, even when I take good care of it! I have never had it more than 4 inches below my shoulder -- it just breaks off and stops growing.

Hoping to grow out my hair for some time... I want to be able to french-braid it (:

Anyway, glad to be here!!

Hi Tessa! Welcome to LHC.

The standard things that you can try are wearing it up to protect the ends, different oils and lots of moisture. Without knowing the ingredients in your products, your problem could actually be too much protein. There are great articles here that will help you find out what's going wrong with your hair and ways to alleviate them. Look around and always feel free to ask questions!

Maybe someone else would know best, but breakage can be helped with protein, yes? >.>; I remember hearing of a home recipe, one time, involving eggs and beer... wish I could recall it...

Anyway, yeah, protein, I think. o.o;;; ...probably the least helpful post in LHC history x.x;

Ha! Maybe if you didn't chase your eggs with beer you'd remember. :p

hazelnut
May 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM
Hiya! Welcome to LHC! :)

Teacherbear
May 2nd, 2009, 11:21 PM
Hi argyle, I have a thought as to why your hair might keep breaking at that length.

Once someone's hair gets to about shoulder length, he/she needs to start treating the hair differently. Before the hair is that long, it might be ok to pile the hair on top of the hair to wash it, to scrub it dry with a towel, to brush/comb it from top (scalp) to bottom (ends). If someone keeps getting trims, then the damage doesn't show. Once the hair starts growing, and regular trims aren't being done, then the damage starts to show.

Also, at this length it is important to pay attention to where your hair is. Collars (especially turtle neck sweaters or very fluffy sweaters) or scarves can cause problems with hairlength. Shoulder straps (purses, backpacks, car seatbelts) start to get caught under the hair. Then, when a person pulls the hair out from under it, the hair is damaged.

I've noticed that there are a few different lengths that require adjustments to my haircare routine. The major adjustment lengths were shoulder length, brastrap length, waist, and classic (just below the buttocks). I'm sure there are other lengths longer than that that would require adjustments.

At BSL, my hair would get in the way when I put on my bra, get caught in my mouth, twist around earrings, etc. At waist, it started getting caught on shirt buttons, on bolts on chairs, and caught under my arms. At classic, it get caught on in my pants waistbands, would brush the ground if I bent forward, got caught on doorknobs, etc.

Anyway, I think you will get a lot of advice here that will help you achieve your hairlength goal! Welcome! :)

jera
May 3rd, 2009, 12:59 AM
Hi and welcome to LHC. :) Biotin and B complex vitamins are excellent for hair growth and strength. Brewer's yeast is a good source of B complex vitamins and it's kind to acne sufferers.

Rosemary oil is an awesome hair stengthener and follicle stimulator, and it's somewhat astringent so your scalp won't become too oily using it.;)

Aditi
May 3rd, 2009, 01:57 AM
Hi Tessa welcome to LHC. I don't have any advice right now as all of them are listed by other members already :D

Ndnlady
May 3rd, 2009, 02:16 AM
Hi Tessa and welcome! You will learn a lot from here!:)

kdaniels8811
May 3rd, 2009, 06:48 AM
Hi, Tessa. My hair was just like yours, broke off continually. Now, due to the stuff I have learned here, my hair is actually growing and looks healthier than ever. Lots to learn here so welcome!