PDA

View Full Version : Africa's Best Hair Oil

Laurenji
May 2nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
So, ever since I've joined the LHC, I've wanted to try oiling my hair on a regular basis, but I really don't like the lingering smell of EVOO (plus it's a bit heavy), and Canola oil just made my hair all crunchy. Since I live in a small-ish town, coconut and jojoba oil are hard to come by.

Anyhow, I was at the local Wal-Mart the other day, and I was looking through the hair care section to see if they had anything.
I found this awesome stuff:
http://valuelinkfze.com/images/africas_best/ab_ultimate_herbal_oil.jpg

It has all kinds of oils in it, including soy bean, walnut, sesame seed, jojoba, carrot, and almond, plus aloe extract and some fruit extracts. I've been using it all week, and it's made my hair so soft. Plus it smells delicious. Even better? An 8 oz bottle was less than $2.

I'm so glad I've finally found something I can use...

Xandergrammy
May 2nd, 2009, 06:00 PM
I've heard only good things about this oil. In fact, I think I'll try it when my monoi oil is gone. I'm so glad you found something good for your hair. Can you describe the smell?

lynnala
May 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Wow, that looks great! I just looked it up on the Walgreen's site and here are the ingredients: Soy Bean Oil , Walnut Seed Oil , Kiwi Fruit Extract , Olive Fruit Oil , Castor Seed Oil , Sesame Seed Oil , Jojoba Seed Oil , Carrot Seed Oil , Sweet Almond Oil , Tocopheryl Acetate , Safflower Oil , Calendula Extract , Yarrow Extract , Cucumber Extract , Carrageenan Extract , Ginseng Extract , Sage Extract , Comfrey Extract , Aloe Extract , Fragrance

The only thing I worry about is the fragrance part, as most fragrances give me a headache. Is the fragrance very strong? Would you describe it as flowery? Citrus?

lynnala
May 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Xandergrammy, we're right posting right on top of each other!

DragonLady
May 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
That's what I've been using all along. I bought coconut oil, but can really only use it the night before I wash. I bought two bottles of the Africa's Best stuff back in August, and have been using it daily ever since. I love it -and wish I'd discovered it years ago.

DragonLady
May 2nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Is the fragrance very strong?

Very similiar to baby powder, IMO.

Sherri
May 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Awe man, I was just at wal-mart. I wished I would have known about this I would have picked some up. Well maybe I will go back later in the week?

Soniasonia
May 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
I'm on my 2nd bottle of that!

Helen Baq
May 2nd, 2009, 06:18 PM
Wow! That stuff looks great. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. :)

Laurenji
May 2nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
The smell doesn't smell fake to at all; it mostly just smells like oil (a little like tea tree oil, only not quite so strong). Maybe a little on the flowery side. I'm not very sensitive to scents though, so I can't really give you much help with that. It's a little on the pungent side if you smell the bottle directly, but once it's on my hair it seems to fade pretty quickly, and I only smell it again when it's wet.

mankefam
May 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
I think I will try this. Too bad I was just at Walmart yesterday. Oh well. Next time I go I will look for it.

I don't know if I don't oil right or what, but it seems like my hair looks oily after. Is it supposed to soak in?

Laurenji
May 2nd, 2009, 08:13 PM
It depends on how much you're using. It's just like any other hair oils--for a daily leave-in, only put a drop or two on your hand so your palms are just slightly shiny before putting it on. If you're careful about how much you put on, it should soak in just fine w/o looking oily--especially if you put it on before you go to bed and let it soak all night.

(For more tips on oiling, go look at this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71)--it'll show you everything you need to know about using this or any other oil for your hair)

kwaniesiam
May 2nd, 2009, 08:37 PM
I think I'll give this a try, for $2 I can't not try it :)

Celebrian
May 2nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
This looks gorgeous! Too bad I can't get it in UK I suspect. I'll go have a looksee though...

mankefam
May 2nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Ok, I will try that. Thanks for the link to the article. I am still learning my way around here.

windinherhair
May 2nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
You found that at Wal-Mart! I will have to keep that in mind. Although I just got my first bottle of Japanese camilla oil and a little bit goes a long way, and I am really pleased with that so far. For only $2 it wouldn't hurt to try though! Thanks for the idea.

chotee
May 3rd, 2009, 01:59 AM
this oil looks great with all the great stuff....thanks for sharing

Anlbe
May 3rd, 2009, 02:20 AM
In the UK you can buy this through amazon (though it's pricey, £7.75 including the hefty postage cost) and I've also seen it at least once in the 'american hair care shop' near King's Cross, I'll see if I still sell it next time I'm in that area.

Unofficial_Rose
May 3rd, 2009, 03:08 AM
This looks gorgeous! Too bad I can't get it in UK I suspect. I'll go have a looksee though...

Are you near London? There is a shop in Kings Cross called American Hair on the corner of Pentonville Road, it stocks all kinds of hair products. This is where I got mine - I haven't been using it, but I might give it another go after this thread!

Edit: Whoops! Duh! That will teach me not to read the whole thread before replying - what Anlbe said!

FaeryTails
May 3rd, 2009, 03:58 AM
In the UK... you can buy it through TheBeautyPot for about £3.

swirlytresses
May 5th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I purchased two bottles of this oil at Walmart yesterday. I used some in my hair last night and I think I'm really going to like it. I also used some in my bath water last night :thumbsup:. Thank you for sharing!

KajiKodomo
May 5th, 2009, 12:07 PM
This is the only oil I'll use. I used coconut oil for a little while, but was unimpressed with it for my hair. I call this stuff Miracle Oil, because I use it for everything (moisturizing my skin, removing makeup, getting gum out of my hair, removing adhesive, etc, etc.). :D

HappyKarin
May 5th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I bought this oil a while ago. I live in Sweden and I found it in an India food store.
I haven’t started using it yet, I want to use up my camellia oil first.
But I’m a bit concerned about the soya oil, isn’t that lots of protein?
My hair sometimes doesn’t like proteins.

swirlytresses
May 5th, 2009, 01:09 PM
This is the only oil I'll use. I used coconut oil for a little while, but was unimpressed with it for my hair. I call this stuff Miracle Oil, because I use it for everything (moisturizing my skin, removing makeup, getting gum out of my hair, removing adhesive, etc, etc.). :D

Ooo, thanks for the tips! Good ideas ;).

swirlytresses
May 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I bought this oil a while ago. I live in Sweden and I found it in an India food store.

I would suggest using it in low doses to see how your hair reacts.

Helen Baq
May 5th, 2009, 01:19 PM

Oil is fat, not protein, so you don't have to worry about that. :)

plainjanegirl
May 5th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Wow only $2! I am gonna have to find this one and try it.

swirlytresses
May 5th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Very similiar to baby powder, IMO.

I agree. It also smells like baby powder to me, not a strong scent.

patience
May 5th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Bought some of this the other day. Have a heavy oiling on my head right now:).

Smells like baby oil to me.

plainjanegirl
May 5th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Is anything in this oil's ingredients good for hair growth?

HappyKarin
May 7th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Oil is fat, not protein, so you don't have to worry about that. :)

Thanks! I wont worry ;)

SleepySin
May 15th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Is anything in this oil's ingredients good for hair growth?

I've read that castor oil is particularly good for hair growth - I even picked up a bottle today (!!).

On my search for the castor oil today, I also came across this Africa's Best product. Surprisingly, it was one of the few, if not only, hair product in the entire pharmacy without dangerous chemicals. Where I live, in NYC, it goes for $4 and some change by the way.

mimi1153
May 15th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Read this thread at the beginning and on my next trip to Wallie-World (as we call it here) I made my purchase. I am pleased to say that I can see a definite imrpovement in my hair after one week. I got a little carried away a couple of days ago though - - keep in mind, if a little is wonderful - don't think a lot will be even more wonderful! :o But, that's okay, it feels great and with me wearing my hair up - no one knows but me and DH - - and he won't tell. :eyebrows: Good buy for $2. Thanks for the tip.

creativehoney
May 15th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I've been using coconut oil and I really like that, but I'm always up for another experiment.
And if I run out of experiments to try, then ill have nothing to blog about.

Does this wash out with co only?

Laurenji
May 15th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Yes. :) I've done a couple of heavy oilings that I CO'd after, and it came right out.

creativehoney
May 15th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Yes. :) I've done a couple of heavy oilings that I CO'd after, and it came right out.

Awesome. Ill have to try that.
I need something with another smell, too.
I layer different smells according to my mood and sometimes coconut doesn't go with what I'm wanting that day. Lol

All my conditioner, bodywash, eos, and perfume that I use in one day have to go together, or it just annoys me. Lol
I'm weird.

herbgurl82
May 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I really like this oil for my skin. I use it on my feet, and legs, and it makes them really soft. The smell is sometimes cloying though, which is why I haven't used it on my hair as much yet. However, I like the fact that it is an herbal oil without mineral oil in the ingreidients.

Kirin
May 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I think I have a review on this stuff in the review section of this site. Its affordable, full of good stuff, no mineral oil, smells like baby oil actually, and my hair drinks it up. Whats not to love?

This is one of the few oils I can use in damp hair, and it dries to pure silk. Love love love.

allege
May 17th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I have been using this off an on for years. I really love it. And in a pinch it makes a great shave oil.

Fingolphin
May 17th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I went out and bought some of this stuff, too. Great stuff! A little definitely goes a long way. Don't care for the smell, but I can live with that. I put it on every night before bed. Haven't tried it on skin, though.

creativehoney
May 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I just got some of this oil. I'm going to try it tonight.

I'm becoming a hair junkie! Oh no! I've tried like 5 new products in the last week!! :o

Debra83
May 18th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I just got some of this oil. I'm going to try it tonight.

I'm becoming a hair junkie! Oh no! I've tried like 5 new products in the last week!! :o

Welcome to my world!!!!

Debra83
May 19th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Okay, you enablers!!! I just ordered 2 bottles online, even though I had to pay 10.00 in shipping!!! I hope it was worth it. Don't have it in town, and don't have another town in walking distance around for an hour and a half drive from here both north and south!!!! So, I bit the bullet! Walmart is being built as I type though, but probably won't be opened until around Christmas. I didn't want to wait that long!!!

GlassEyes
May 19th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I've used it, but I didn't realy have any opinion on it.

It spilled all over some of my stuff though. Wasn't too fond of that. xD

swirlytresses
May 19th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I use this to oil my wooden combs. I love it in my hair and in my bath. :)

SimplyViki
May 19th, 2009, 09:17 AM
In the UK you can buy this through amazon (though it's pricey, £7.75 including the hefty postage cost) and I've also seen it at least once in the 'american hair care shop' near King's Cross, I'll see if I still sell it next time I'm in that area.

(Is this what you call a hijack?) I'm giggling at the idea of a shop called "American Hair Care"... and then realizing that there is a salon right near me called "Peter of London" and thinking maybe it's not so strange an idea as I'd thought.

creativehoney
May 19th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Okay, you enablers!!! I just ordered 2 bottles online, even though I had to pay 10.00 in shipping!!! I hope it was worth it.

That's funny!
Hahaha!
We'll I tried it last night and used quite a bit......2 drops weren't enough for me.
I have a picture in my album of the results, and I blogged about it last night and this morning.

It all totally absorbed and when I woke up I had to put more on.
I'm actually a little confused because coconut oil doesn't do that?
But I going to have to experiment some more with it.
Maybe by adding a little coconut oil or evoo to my hands with it.

csm--carla
May 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I really like this oil for my skin. I use it on my feet, and legs, and it makes them really soft. The smell is sometimes cloying though, which is why I haven't used it on my hair as much yet. However, I like the fact that it is an herbal oil without mineral oil in the ingredients.

Herbgurl,

Yes, I picked some of this up yesterday and am anxious to try it on my hair. I find, however, that my oil has a definitely strong and CLOYING baby powder smell with kind of an 'odd' base note. I'm finding it difficult to love!

I added a couple of drops of lemongrass EO to the oil in my hand to help me tolerate it. I used some on my legs and it seemed a bit better. I didn't have the nerve it use it on my hair until I make the scent more tolerable for me.:liar:

Anyone else have any other ideas to change it to a more tolerable fragrance?

Thanks for pointing this product out to me!

Carla

Kirin
May 19th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Herbgurl,

Yes, I picked some of this up yesterday and am anxious to try it on my hair. I find, however, that my oil has a definitely strong and CLOYING baby powder smell with kind of an 'odd' base note. I'm finding it difficult to love!

I added a couple of drops of lemongrass EO to the oil in my hand to help me tolerate it. I used some on my legs and it seemed a bit better. I didn't have the nerve it use it on my hair until I make the scent more tolerable for me.:liar:

Carla

It DOES have a very distinct baby powder type smell to it. I haven't found a way to detract from the smell, however, I've found I've gotten used to it, even love it, after using it a while. When hubby and I use it, we get compliments all the time on the way we smell!

One of the main reasons I love it, is its a "dry" type of oil, and I never get "greasy" from it. I can use a lot too, and never get really clumpy nasty greasy hair. It washes out easy too.

I haven't tried it, but someone said some tea rose oil makes it smell better.

creativehoney
May 19th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Herbgurl,

Carla

It does have a strong smell when you use a lot of it.
Maybe you could dilute it with more of one of the oils that is already in it, like jojoba sp? Or olive oil........it might not change it too much if you do it like that?
Or try adding some liquid vitamin e. Maybe try mixing some in a little jar first so if it doesn't work you don't waste the whole bottle.
Hth

mugglemomof3
May 19th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I really liked the way this oil made my hair feel, but the smell made me sick to my stomach and I sneezed quite a bit the whole time I wore it. Darnit.

avoidinreality
May 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I couldn't find it at the Walmart nearest to me. We have 3 within 10 miles of the house, but we are in the middle of non-stop storms for the next few days (and they call Florida "The Sunshine State"...ha!) and I don't trust other drivers in the rain. Is it in the ethnic hair section? I didn't think to look there until I was already on the road.

Beldaran
May 19th, 2009, 07:49 PM
This is so funny. I bought a bottle of this years ago, wasn't a fan of the scent and tried to swap it on the swap board. I didn't get one bite, and now there's a multi-page thread on how awesome it is.

Maybe I'll have to add something to it (I have many citrus EOs) to make the smell more tolerable and give it a shot.

I found mine at the grocery store actually, in case people don't live by a WalMart it may be worth a shot.

Fingolphin
May 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
That was where I found it; with the African American hair products and such.

csm--carla
May 19th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I couldn't find it at the Walmart nearest to me. We have 3 within 10 miles of the house, but we are in the middle of non-stop storms for the next few days (and they call Florida "The Sunshine State"...ha!) and I don't trust other drivers in the rain. Is it in the ethnic hair section? I didn't think to look there until I was already on the road.

Yes, mine was on the bottom shelf.

MotherConfessor
May 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM
This is my "in the shower" oil. It works really well.

Laurenji
May 19th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Wow...I can't believe the thread actually got this long. I thought it was going to be like all the other threads I've started and die a quick and early death. I'm glad everyone likes it so much!

I will agree the smell is rather strong, but I usually put it on at night and sleep with it so it doesn't bother me. It does absorb overnight, but I think that's what I like about it--it just leaves my hair feeling super-soft in the morning.

Anyhow, I'm glad I found something to share. :D

Fingolphin
May 19th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I also apply it at night. I does absorb and doesn't give a greasy feeling.

cupcakeblonde
May 19th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Wish they had some in Australia :(
We got nothing over here :(

Debra83
May 19th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Wow...I can't believe the thread actually got this long. I thought it was going to be like all the other threads I've started and die a quick and early death. I'm glad everyone likes it so much!

I will agree the smell is rather strong, but I usually put it on at night and sleep with it so it doesn't bother me. It does absorb overnight, but I think that's what I like about it--it just leaves my hair feeling super-soft in the morning.

Anyhow, I'm glad I found something to share. :D

Isn't that funny how that works? ;)

Debra83
May 19th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Wish they had some in Australia :(
We got nothing over here :(

I ordered 2 bottles for a total of 5.98 + 10.00 shipping from an online company that sends everywhere I believe if you want their website? It would be cheaper for you than if I sold you one and half the shipping I believe + shipping to Australia from Canada.

Beldaran
May 26th, 2009, 08:20 AM
So I gave in to the smell and tried some over the weekend. I liked it (not the smell) and I think it worked well, so after sunburning my part a bit over the weekend, I used a bit more on Monday morning as I was planning to wear my hair down.

Well, on the way to my parent's house, my DH was so overwhelmed by the smell he had to open all of the windows in the car. He actually got a headache from it, I felt so bad.

Has anyone used anything to over come the smell? I added about 10 drops of citrus EOs (orange and something else) and it still REEKS like baby powder.

I was thinking I may get the raw ingredients and mix my own, but there are a lot of odd things that would be very expensive in it. I assume these things are in there in small amounts, but since it works well so far I wouldn't want to eliminate anything.

Ideas on cutting the smell? I don't really want to super dilute it with a plain carrier oil, but I'm tempted.

Helen Baq
May 26th, 2009, 09:30 AM
So I gave in to the smell and tried some over the weekend. I liked it (not the smell) and I think it worked well, so after sunburning my part a bit over the weekend, I used a bit more on Monday morning as I was planning to wear my hair down.

Well, on the way to my parent's house, my DH was so overwhelmed by the smell he had to open all of the windows in the car. He actually got a headache from it, I felt so bad.

Has anyone used anything to over come the smell? I added about 10 drops of citrus EOs (orange and something else) and it still REEKS like baby powder.

I was thinking I may get the raw ingredients and mix my own, but there are a lot of odd things that would be very expensive in it. I assume these things are in there in small amounts, but since it works well so far I wouldn't want to eliminate anything.

Ideas on cutting the smell? I don't really want to super dilute it with a plain carrier oil, but I'm tempted.

I have an idea...

What if we all wrote to the company and told them we love their oil - except for the smell and ask them to make an unscented version? If there were several of us willing to buy it if it were unscented, they might just do it!

Just a thought. :)

CinnamonCurls
May 26th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Sigh, and of course I was just at a city with a nice big Wal-Mart...we went shopping for other last minute things the night before my SIL's wedding, so my mind wasn't into checking out their hair goodies, just into things that revolve around a big white dress....fooey missed oppourtunity....

If someone figures out where to post about the smell, post it here, and those of us that have issues with it can write in and add to the complaintants....
...too bad to find such a cool fun mix of oils we'd not ordinarily be able to find all on their own without buying a whole bottle.

Beldaran
May 29th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Ok, I used it again today and I'm sick of the smell. I really do like how it makes my hair look, but ugh, the smell.

So that settles it. Once I get home I'm placing an order and buying the stuff I'll need to make it, minus the scent. I'll let you all know in a week or so how my experiments worked.

Laurenji
May 29th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I'm sorry the smell is affecting some of you guys so badly. I don't mind it at all, but I'm not really sensitive to scents. Beldaran, let me know how your experiments turn out!

Beldaran
May 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't really say I'm sensitive to scents, as most scents don't bother me, it's just that the smell is so over powering.

I'm really excited to try to mix up my own. This stuff really soaks in my hair well and makes it less fly-away with out being greasy.

Beldaran
May 30th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Ingredients on order. :cheese:

gmdiaz
May 31st, 2009, 12:22 AM
Very cool idea to mix up your own! I do NOT like the smell of baby powder!

Looking forward to hearing how your experiment goes.

And if you think you might have any extra that you'd like to sell, I'd be interested to test out your mix too.

greek_lady
May 31st, 2009, 12:31 AM
Interesting thread. Does anyone have a link for an online store, please?

Runzel
May 31st, 2009, 12:44 AM
About the smell, it is actually rather common for people to feel overwhelmed by or get a slight headache from "fragrence" ingredient....that's why some public gathering places are beginning to have a "fragrence-free" rule. It's not that smells are bad, but rather the fumes of that synthetic chemical can make sensitive people not feel so good. :(

Kristen_Marie
May 31st, 2009, 03:49 PM
Okay - so this is a bit off topic but it's not. After lurking for awhile on this thread I decided to go to Wal-Mart and get some of this oil. Well, while I was there I was looking at a few of the other things in the ethnic section and found an awesome oil accessory! It's a silk hair wrap! The instructions say that the wrap is for African Americans to use as an overnight hair-style holder but I bought one (under $4) and have found it is excellent as an extended period oil cap! (Even overnight)

I'm actually wearing mine right now to keep my shea buttered hair out of my face. LOVING it. :D

Beldaran
June 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Woo hoo! I have 2/3 packages of ingredients, the 3rd should be here by Wednesday. I'll probably post results next week as I'm going out of town for the weekend.

Beldaran
June 25th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Woo hoo! I think I did it! :happydance:

Ok, know this is way later than I said I’d be, but one of the ingredients was quite tricky to find, and it seems like it’s one of the main ones, so I felt it was important to track it down. Anyway, I can’t find all of the ingredients, but I have most of them.

I’ve been using some of the base oils straight as I collected them and I didn’t find any to do anything bad, and most worked well. I mixed up a small test batch and tried it this morning, and so far I think it’s working very similar. The best part is that I don’t reek like baby powder, I find the smell of my own mix to be neutral at worst. I’d guess there would be less of a smell if I made a bigger batch, as with my very small batch the smallest amount I could possibly put in is one drop, and the oils that have the most noticeable smell are used the least. So a bigger batch would dilute those smells more. The carrot seed oil has the strongest smell actually, and it doesn’t smell like carrots, it smells more like dirt. Once I make a bigger “real” batch for myself, I’ll probably add a few drops of one of my citrus EOs, and that should cover the faint smell.

I did an experiment with the original oil this week, mainly because my husband is out of town so the smell wouldn’t bother him. I had to mow the lawn and it’s really hot here, so I figured I’d try a “hot oil treatment” in which I put the oil on my scalp and some on my length, braided it, clipped it up, tied a bandanna over it and went out to mow the lawn. Usually my scalp gets super itchy when I get sweaty, and by the time I’m done mowing I’m scratching at it like crazy. The oil helped actually, and then when I soaked it out in the tub after the lawn was done, my hair felt very nice and soft once it dried (I did my normal CWC as well). I hope to try it again with my own mix and see if it creates similar results.

Beldaran
June 30th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Experiment complete! I made a bigger batch and the smell isn't so bad. It's a bit herbal, but I'd take slightly herbal over "bathed in baby powder scent" any day. I think it works the same, even with just using most of the ingredients. I think I'm missing 2 or 3 of the total ingredients, but due to a mix of oils I added, mine has a few more they don't have, like nettle, avocado and wheat germ oil.

I added my own EOs to my personal stash so it smells herbal with a dash of tangerine-lime.

If anyone wants to try some and is willing to pay shipping, PM me your address and I can send you some (neutral scented). Mods if this breaks the seller's rules, feel free to delete this part.

Sorry to spam the thread, I'm just excited that I did it! :cheese:

adiapalic
June 30th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I've looked up to be sure this oil is available in a store near me--and some of the reviews I've come across are 5/5 stars. Evidently this oil is wonderful for many uses! Definitely going to try this myself.:D

RoseRedDead
June 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I have a bottle of this, but I've only used it once or twice, and wasn't really sure what to think of it. I'll have to try it on dry hair... Its price is quite impressive, though the smell was a bit much.

csm--carla
July 1st, 2009, 11:16 AM
I have a bottle of this, but I've only used it once or twice, and wasn't really sure what to think of it. I'll have to try it on dry hair... Its price is quite impressive, though the smell was a bit much.

I mixed some of my 'Africa's Best' with another hair product that I found too sweet--Hairveda Vatika Frosting which is a butter cream icing/vanilla fragrance. That minimized the cloying baby powder odor--MUCH more acceptable now.

RoseRedDead
July 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
I mixed some of my 'Africa's Best' with another hair product that I found too sweet--Hairveda Vatika Frosting which is a butter cream icing/vanilla fragrance. That minimized the cloying baby powder odor--MUCH more acceptable now.

Now see, I can stand the baby powder scent, but what you suggested would be kind of yuck to me. :poot: I don't really do food scents. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I've oiled with this twice now. Just a light, daily oiling on dry hair.. I divided my hair in half and used two drops per side. I think someone above mentioned this being a "dry" oil, and I can attest to it. I'm going to try a heavy oiling on dry hair tonight, as I'm washing my hair tomorrow.

If the smell doesn't smother me while I'm sleeping, I shall report back. :p

RoseRedDead
July 3rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Well, I did the oiling. I didn't like the smell, it got to be annoying, but it seemed to do its job well. I'd have to use it more to be really sure, though.

Allegra
July 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Wish I could actually get this 'Africa's best' here in Africa :p

avoidinreality
July 5th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I bought some of this the other day at Walgreens. It was on sale, 2 for $3. The smell seems strong (musky baby oil) straight out of the bottle, but once on and soaked in a bit, it doesn't seem that strong to me. My sense of smell is a little numb though from years of making soap...there's only so much patchouli and sandalwood you can smell before your nose goes on strike. I do heavy oiling nightly (and it doesn't take much in my thin hair) and then CO the next day. It comes out without problems. I LOVE it, thanks so much for posting this.

HeatherLarsen
July 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Went to the drug store in search of a jojoba oil for my hair when I ran across Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil w/ Ginseng. I flipped over to read the ingredients and:

Soy Bean Oil, Walnut Seed Oil, Kiwi Fruit Extract, Olive Fruit Oil, Castor Seed Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Carrot Seed Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Safflower Oil and Calendula Extract and Yarrow Extract and Cucumber Extract and Carrageenan Extract and Ginseng Extract and Sage Extract and Comfrey Extract and Aloe Extract, Fragrance.

So I bought it and figured I could use it sparingly after I wash and possibly mixed with a deep conditioning treatment.

Has anyone tried this product? I heard it's great for skin as well as hair!

kdaniels8811
July 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM
There is a thread about this somewhere, started a month or two ago. Yes, people seem to like it.

HeatherLarsen
July 14th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Great, if someone can find that post please link it for me. I just used it for the first time in my "routine" on my hair and skin. I have got to say it smells amazing and I love the way it feels! It seemed to moisturize with a dull shine instead of an intense "crisco" kinda GREEZY shine. I may have found a new favorite!

kdaniels8811
July 14th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Here it is, not sure how to hyperlink it...

[URL="//http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=24915[/URL]

DragonLady
July 15th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Here it is, not sure how to hyperlink it...

[URL]http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=24915 ("//http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=24915[/URL)

GermanCurl
July 15th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Bought it yesterday and did a DT on dry hair before washing. Absolutely love the stuff! My hair is so soft and silky. This morning I used a couple of drops to prevent frizzyness and fly aways. I don't mind the baby powder smell at all.

persiandiva
July 16th, 2009, 08:38 AM
OK, ladies. More than the FIcarres I HAD to have, more than the CO method I have come to adore, I WANT THIS OIL!!! I love the BP scent you describe.

So I went on a mission yesterday. I went to Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target and Sallys. I saw one Africa's best product but it was in a jar and vasoline-like (not a good plan). Oh, I went to Walgreens later too.

I setting on Proclaim oils with Olive oil but it is sooooo scented. Not my favorite.

Where did you find this recently?

I am traveling to Alabama this week. I am going to look there. Since I am a caucasian/middle eastern gal, I am sure the will look twice when I arrive at the airport with a suitcase full! :cheese:

GermanCurl
July 16th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I found it on the bottom shelf in the ethnic hair section of Walmart for $1.97.

HeatherLarsen
July 16th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Yes! I love the stuff guys! It is great on my skin, especially on my tattoos. I love the smell and it makes my hair so soft. All you need is a couple drops! I also noticed that if I use it while my hair is wet with a wide toothed comb it gives my curls a boost. After my hair drys if I brush it lightly with a boar's bristle brush it turns the curl into soft flowing waves.

Zombiekins
July 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I found it on the bottom shelf in the ethnic hair section of Walmart for $1.97.

Yep.

While some don't find the smell obnoxious (my brain can't grasp that some people actually like it), it makes me want to gag, so it doesn't get as much love here as it should. But it's a really nice oil. I've been using it on my feet lately in an attempt to soften them up for flipflop wear.

dulce-de-leche
July 16th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I used this as my 1st oil when I found LHC and loved it.I am currently using coconut oil but once I finish my tub of coconut oil I'm going back for this one because it's so much cheaper and works just about the same.It smells like baby oil I don'y know if that matters to anyone but I like it :)

trollkjerring
July 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I love that oil as an leave-in, it is so light and doesn't make my hair look greasy. And I adore the scent:D

Kirin
July 16th, 2009, 03:05 PM
The smell can be overwhelming I've found only if I use a LOT of it, like an overnight oiling. If I use a drop or two, after a shower and towel dried hair, when my hair dries, its like silk and the smell goes away. I have never had the smell linger on me for all that long.

I've also found this is the BEST stuff to tame and help save bleached and color treated hair. For a hot oil treatment, its the best thing I've ever used. This is always in my bathroom.

RoseRedDead
July 21st, 2009, 02:56 PM
Well, I did an overnight oiling on my hair with 50/50 Africa's Best Hair Oil and extra virgin olive oil... My hair likes it, but the smell gave me a headache... eek... I may I have used too much...

GlassEyes
July 21st, 2009, 04:28 PM
Smells like baby powder to me, if memory serves. Maybe really strong, flowery baby powder, but baby powder nonetheless. :shrug:

Beldaran
July 21st, 2009, 04:34 PM
Are you saying that it can't be the smell that gave her the headache because it's just a baby powder smell? :confused:

The smell of that oil gave my husband a headache when riding in the same car as me, so that's why I made my own non-scented version.

paprikapapaya
July 21st, 2009, 05:33 PM
I checked my local Walmart and they didn't have any! :( I'm going to keep checking around because my hair loves oils.

GlassEyes
July 21st, 2009, 06:29 PM
Are you saying that it can't be the smell that gave her the headache because it's just a baby powder smell? :confused:

The smell of that oil gave my husband a headache when riding in the same car as me, so that's why I made my own non-scented version.
Uh, no. Just inserting what I thought it smelled like.

It didn't really stink to me. :shrug: It was strong, yes, but not terrible.

nowxisxforever
July 21st, 2009, 11:31 PM
I had a bottle of this stuff once-- it was alright oil but I couldn't ever stand to use it because of the smell being so strong. I tried to drown it out with EOs but the scent was not to be topped, I guess.

It's ok though, because my boyfriend ended up yoinking it and using it in his baths and in his hair.

Paper Moon
July 22nd, 2009, 12:30 AM
Yegads, I finally got my hands on a bottle of this and I agree with the people that aren't sure of the smell. It's SO overly strong, almost cloying. It almost smells overly fake. I wish it didn't have whatever "perfume" it uses!

HOWEVER. Man does this make my hair happy. I too went totally overboard and did a heavy oiling like I would have with EVCO.. BAD IDEA.. I had a headache for 4 hours. It was so strong I was almost gagging! A few drops on my ends after I towel dry however, I can take!

If they make a scentless one I am buying stock in it!

Shiva
July 22nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
So far I like this oil alot.

The smell I can take or leave, but it seems to fade away after awhile anyway.

Zombiekins
July 22nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
I had a bottle of this stuff once-- it was alright oil but I couldn't ever stand to use it because of the smell being so strong. I tried to drown it out with EOs but the scent was not to be topped, I guess.

Aww, damnit, I was hoping someone would come up with a nice EO combination to drown out the original scent. It's just so....blegh.

I can get why it doesn't bother some people. There are a lot of folks used to artificial scents in overwhelming quantities. But I'm not one of those people and having a gaggingly strong scent of fake baby powder (I'm pretty sure babies don't actually smell like that until people start loading them up with powders and creams) all up in my nose and getting stuck in my throat sucks! Eww! I've got some in a little dish on a bathroom shelf from when I was hennaing, and every time I reach up to get something it wafts up and makes me cringe....why I haven't emptied out the dish yet is a mystery. But whatever. That stuff stinks. Yes it does fade a little after a while, but I still smell it in my hair by the next day and it's not a smell I want clinging to me.

On the plus side. It is a nice light oil that my hair definitely seems to enjoy, and did a good job of keeping henna from staining my face. Oh, and has done well at softening my feet in soaks. But dear sweet jeebus I wish someone would put out an unscented version.

SHELIAANN1969
July 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Orange EO does make it smell better, but never took the smell away completely, I haven't touched it in a long time, because of the stinky smell! grrrrrr

I do love the combination, if they could only omit that fragrance.

pdy2kn6
July 23rd, 2009, 12:06 AM
interesting....african oils are always really good IMO. The only concern I had was with the ingredient 'Tocopheryl Acetate ' is this any relation to sulfATES? (Acetate=sulfate???), or what is Tocopheryl Acetate ?

Beldaran
July 23rd, 2009, 06:22 AM
interesting....african oils are always really good IMO. The only concern I had was with the ingredient 'Tocopheryl Acetate ' is this any relation to sulfATES? (Acetate=sulfate???), or what is Tocopheryl Acetate ?

Vitamin E as far as I know, so it's still good. :D

Kirin
July 23rd, 2009, 06:30 AM
The acetate is vitamin E to keep it fresh, that's all.

I find that any use over three "drops" the smell becomes way too much. Luckily, I don't need that much. Maybe we should all write the company to request an unscented version.

GlassEyes
July 23rd, 2009, 07:15 AM
I wonder if they changed the scent after the last time I used it. I think it was one of the first oils I tried (because it was the first I could get a hold of), and I don't remember it stinking overly much. Strong, maybe, but not terrible.

I'm going to have to check this stuff out again.

Jinx2234
August 2nd, 2009, 12:26 AM
After reading everyone's opinions of this I had to buy it. I agree that the smell is a little overpowering, but IMO it's not that bad. And I thought it faded pretty quickly (either that or I got used to it). I really like what it does to my hair, leaves it soft and shiny without being greasy. Even heavy oilings come right out. It also was a lot cheaper than my other oils. I think this is a definite new addition to my routine.

Vermelha
August 8th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I use it!!! I've been using this stuff for years. Now I use it for oiling my hair before bed, when I'm low on my coconut oil. It's awesome! So awesome, my mom stole my bottle! LOL, J/K, but she does use my oils if I'm not using them.

We used it to take out her glue-in extensions. Worked like a charm w/ no breakage. It's always been good stuff.

LittleOrca
August 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I just picked some up today and was expecting a horrid smell, but it really wasn't too bad. It does smell a lot like baby powder. I will post more after I use it for a while :)

Sissy
August 9th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I use it and like it! It does smell like baby powder.

RoseRedDead
August 9th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I'm still using this, 50/50 with EVOO for my heavy pre-wash oilings, and it's great. I think I've become somewhat desensitized to the smell, but occasionally it still gets me...

irishcurls
August 9th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I am gonna have to try that. I have jojoba oil but I only want to use it ever so often. I would like this because its cheap but it looks good!!

Sissy
August 9th, 2009, 09:31 PM
ok, ok so I understand what people are saying about the smell. I would never want to use it as a leave in on my dry hair due to the smell. I should specify that what I've used it for is a heavy overnight oiling with my hair under a plastic cap. It seemed to do good for my hair when I used it that way, although I haven't done it in a while. I have so many oils and conditioners! Lately, I was just using Ojon on my hair sometimes overnight.

prittykitty
August 10th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I just bought some of this today. I am going to try it tonight and sleep with it on and wash it out tomorrow. I really hope this will work for me.

prittykitty
August 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I did try this oil but it did not work for me. It was not the oil but I am allergic to one of the herbs in it. I put it on my hair all over to wear overnight and get my hair nice and soft. After a short time of having this in my hair I noticed that I was getting a headache and I was congested and could not catch a deep breath. My throat started to feel like it was swelling a little inside and my lips felt like they were swelling a little too. At first I wondered what I did different today. I remembered the oil and went to take a second look at the ingredients. It is loaded with herb oils. I washed my hair right away and washed the oil off all the areas around my head. I at down with a towel on my head and opened my herb book to see which one would have had that effect. I am still not sure but am searching it. I started to feel better after I washed the product out of my hair so I know it had to be that. Has anyone else ever had an allergic reaction to a product that is good for hair?

Canarygirl
August 10th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Has anyone else ever had an allergic reaction to a product that is good for hair?

You bet--lots of us have. Both allergic and just sensitivities. I can't use cassia or kattam/buxus, and plenty of herbal ingredients give me a rash if used on my face.

KajiKodomo
August 11th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I'm still using this stuff 2-3 times a week. Sometimes more.

I also made my sister get some as she had straw-like hair from bleach damage, and she loves it too!

IDK, I happen to be one of the few that love the smell, apparently. Whenever I put it in my hair, I can't stop taking big whiffs of it! It smells kind of earthy, herbal, and baby-powdery at the same time.

In fact, when I go home for lunch in a few minutes, I need to put some more on my ends! :D

Poetic
August 11th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I just bought some of this oil today. I put it on a large section in the front. I pray it works, :pray: for my hair is extremely dry. I would like to wear my hair braided for the next year or so. But before I can begin the process I must get through my hair without damaging it. I do not trust the person I shall ask to braid my hair to prepare it. shudder:All too often a braider's talent stops at his/her ability to braid.:rolleyes::shrug:

lora410
August 11th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I bought some of this and mine smell like baby oil :confused: I am wondering if it is.

RoseRedDead
August 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I bought some of this and mine smell like baby oil :confused: I am wondering if it is.

No, it is not baby oil. Baby oil is mineral oil and fragrance. This stuff has vegetable/herbal oils, but pretty much the same fragrance. Fear not! :cheese:

Eden_Rayn
August 11th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I love this stuff been using it for a month or so and my hair feels so much softer its amazing for hair that was damaged and somewhat coarse.

Yayasmurf
August 12th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Thank you so much Laurenji for posting the information on Africa's Best Hair Oil. I also live in a small town and have been looking everywhere for jojoba oil or coconut oil. It was no where to be found. I will be making the trip to my local Wally World today. :)

Spring
August 12th, 2009, 12:56 PM
This oil for my hair type felt good when I applied it, but the next day my hair felt dry. After experiencing this a couple of times, I went back to using water and olive oil. There's something in the ingredients that is has a drying effect on my hair.

Update 8/17/09: My apologies to everyone, it was not Africa's Best oil, but African Pride oil that I used years ago (African Pride has a lot of different oils in it as well as an offensive strong smell). I am very sorry for confusing the two oils.

Poetic
August 12th, 2009, 01:15 PM
This oil for my hair type felt good when I applied it, but the next day my hair felt dry. After experiencing this a couple of times, I went back to using water and olive oil. There's something in the ingredients that is has a drying effect on my hair.

My hair too remains dry after the treatment. It seems my hair is not taking it in. There is oil all over my hands when I touch my hair, but nothing more. This is funny, as my hair soaks up everything.:confused:

Beldaran
August 12th, 2009, 02:16 PM

My hair too remains dry after the treatment. It seems my hair is not taking it in. There is oil all over my hands when I touch my hair, but nothing more. This is funny, as my hair soaks up everything.:confused:
Are either of you using anything with silicone in it? (Dimethicone.. etc) Try using the oil right after clarifying. I know that my hair gets dry after a while and that's due to build-up that is blocking the moisture from getting in. Once I clarify it's all back to normal.

Or have either of you tried it on wet hair?

If I recall correctly, the oils in this should soak in to most hair quite readily. Obviously everyone's hair is different though.

SpinDance
August 12th, 2009, 02:22 PM

Beldaran, thank you for taking the time to make an unscented version of this. It sure sounds like a nice oil, but any strong scents give my DH headaches, too. Something I try to avoid at all costs.

I've been trying to decide what oil to use on my hair as I use up what I already had, and I've ordered a bottle of yours. Can't wait to get it!

Poetic
August 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Are either of you using anything with silicone in it? (Dimethicone.. etc) Try using the oil right after clarifying. I know that my hair gets dry after a while and that's due to build-up that is blocking the moisture from getting in. Once I clarify it's all back to normal.

Or have either of you tried it on wet hair?

If I recall correctly, the oils in this should soak in to most hair quite readily. Obviously everyone's hair is different though.

Thank you!:) I had not thought of this. I have been using both a shampoo and conditioner with cones in them to remove tangles from my hair. I guess I need to clarify.

Spring
August 13th, 2009, 06:30 PM
It's been years since I've used Africa's Best, so I don't remember whether my other conditioners had cones. However, when I use olive oil or vegetable oil, I never experience dryness and I know some of the conditioners I use now have cones. So if a oil is having a drying effect that I'm not getting from other oils, I pretty much know it's not the right product for me.

Products like Africa's Best and some cream conditioners that had a drying effect, are what motivated me to simplify and use oils that I knew would seal in the moisture (water) and actually absorb into my hair to condition it.

I'm glad it's working for some of the ladies here though. thanx :)

Update 8/17/09: My apologies to everyone, it was not Africa's Best oil, but African Pride oil that I used years ago (African Pride has a lot of different oils in it as well as an offensive strong smell). I am very sorry for confusing the two oils. :o

Yayasmurf
August 14th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I bought Africa's Best Hair Oil on Wednesday and used it last night for the first time. I left it in over night and my hair drank it up like you wouldn't believe. After washing it this morning I was pleased with the results. My ends showed a noticeable improvement... not as dry looking. I was satisfied. :)

irishcurls
August 17th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I was not able to find it at first. But I did find it at a walmart and it was 1.97. Well I decided that last night I would oil my hair up. Now I did add queen Helens placenta oil treatment its animal placenta. It sounds gross but you would never know what is was if you couldnt read. Its amazing and they are cruelty free) and some pure jojoba oil. i know there is already some in it but I wanted a little xtra since its so good for my hair. Well let me tell you!! I love it!!! My hair feels amazing.

Sha-na-na
August 21st, 2009, 08:26 PM
I have to add to this thread in that I love this oil! I was using Luster's Pink light hair lotion (idiot move for me), and I decided to switch to this.

My hair smells wonderful and my hair drinks this oil up.

The cost is amazing for what you get. I <3 it and will incorporate it into my new no-cone regimen. :cheese:

masnmab
November 9th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I have been using this oil since July with great results. It is very softening to my super dry and obscenely thick hair, and while the smell is strong, I don't mind. Can't beat the price either!