PDA

View Full Version : Has This Kind Of Shedding Happened To Anyone Else???

April1
May 2nd, 2009, 06:38 AM
Hi there everyone, I have'nt been here for a while now, hope your all well!!

Anyway, Im going through a major shedding period at the moment. Im not stressed ABOUT the shedding, as its happened before and know it'll stop, but, I do know that it is CAUSED by stress.

My hair is now about 2 inches passed my collar bone (YAY), so its not all that long, but it is the longest its been in ages.

Now the problem is, is that the 'length' of my hair is obviously 'thinner' than the hair on my head, due to the mass (and i mean mass)of new growth which seems to be comming in all over my scalp and is getting longer too now. If I grab a large section of hair, smooth it all out, hold it out from my head so that it is horrizontal, hold on to it very tightly at the end and really really shake it, Im just amazed at what it looks like - literally half of my hair is all new and shorter lengths, while im left holding this pathetic tiny amount of length in my hands of dry crappy hair.

I really cannot have my hair down at the moment because of the length looking so thin and dry. I guess Im just gonna have to ride this one out ( i was going to ask if there was anything I could do to help this situation, but I dont think so???)

Has anyone else had an almost major transformation like this before. Honestly, Im so ammazed at the amount of new hair Im getting. I'll have to get you all a picture later.

Bye all.

Darkhorse1
May 2nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
Yep. I must have a lot of hair because when I went through a stress shed loss, I was picking up handfuls daily from my floor, and I really didn't notice it until I looked at my scalp closely. I also had very hard, crusty and painful dandruff. once the dandruff was treated, the shedding stopped. Then, came the new hairs! Hahahaha. It was cute, and I found they grew quite fast, but my hair grows like a weed anyhow.

I didn't notice much in my length, but I was keeping it shorter--mid-back to waist. Plus, I was going through a lot, so I wasn't really paying attention to my hair.

Good luck!!

girlcat36
May 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
Yes, when I joined LHC I was half bald due to medical reasons. My length was/is ridiculously thin. It has been difficult to stick with growing it out. I find half-ups are the best look for my 'thick on the top, thin on the bottom' hair

Omens
May 2nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Big sheds are no fun. At least you know what is causing it though.

I have hair past waist, and I look a little ridiculous when I don't wash my hair, because I have a ton of new growth that just hits my shoulders. You are not alone at all. I think a lot of people go through similar phases. It's just a matter of treating the hair nicely and letting it catch up on its own.

No worries, just give it some time and it should sort itself out. :)

chrissy-b
May 2nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
When I first joined, my hair was very thin. I had bald patches all over and my circumference was 1.5 inches. After my first year I gained a lot of length and my circumference went up to 2.25 inches. I did scalp massages and used monistat to aid in new growth. My hair is about APL currently, and while my taper is still pretty severe, the longer it gets, the thicker it looks. I still don't wear it down (unless I'm at home) and plan on trimming once it reaches BSL to thicken it up a bit.

I'm honestly surprised how thick my hair has gotten in the last year. I still have a long way to go and there are new hairs still sprouting that are less than two inches long so my hair probably looks a lot like yours - thin at the ends and really thick near my scalp.

While this stage you're in currently is a drag, it will get better. Your new hair will grow in and your thickness will increase. Right now I would suggest just wearing it up and keep the ends protected (to keep them from drying out). I can't recommend scalp massages enough. For me, it really helps with shedding and my new hair is denser and thicker than it ever has been. Now, like you, I've just got to wait until it grows longer. :)

Unnamed
May 2nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Yep, a few times. Twice since joining here I've lost about half (57% the first go round 4 years ago, and 46% the second round last July and Nov/Dec). Yay for a totalled thyroid. :rolleyes:

After the first shed I had about 1/3rd of what was lost eventually come back in over the next 1-2 years (first year I had almost no regrowth), and I remember those tangled once they got around nape/shoulder level for a few months (not been a problem since, though).

I've so far gained almost all (or, well, about 85%) of the hair that shed out the second time (at the nape, anyway), although I haven't really identified those new hairs as of yet.

Now, on what to do with it...

A couple of my thoughts are a half up, and a french braid or braids), or a french twist (might not yet be doable). If you can do a basic bun or any kind of bun and either dampen the ends and/or put conditioner and/or oil etc on them it might keep them a bit less dry feeling.

And not so good on the stress, but it's good that you know the cause for it, and also that it's all coming back quickly, too!

marialena
May 2nd, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hi there everyone, I have'nt been here for a while now, hope your all well!!

Anyway, Im going through a major shedding period at the moment. Im not stressed ABOUT the shedding, as its happened before and know it'll stop, but, I do know that it is CAUSED by stress.

My hair is now about 2 inches passed my collar bone (YAY), so its not all that long, but it is the longest its been in ages.

Now the problem is, is that the 'length' of my hair is obviously 'thinner' than the hair on my head, due to the mass (and i mean mass)of new growth which seems to be comming in all over my scalp and is getting longer too now. If I grab a large section of hair, smooth it all out, hold it out from my head so that it is horrizontal, hold on to it very tightly at the end and really really shake it, Im just amazed at what it looks like - literally half of my hair is all new and shorter lengths, while im left holding this pathetic tiny amount of length in my hands of dry crappy hair.

I really cannot have my hair down at the moment because of the length looking so thin and dry. I guess Im just gonna have to ride this one out ( i was going to ask if there was anything I could do to help this situation, but I dont think so???)

Has anyone else had an almost major transformation like this before. Honestly, Im so ammazed at the amount of new hair Im getting. I'll have to get you all a picture later.

Bye all.

I have the same problem due to a mass shedding that I had about one and a half year ago.
Though my hair are currently in waist length I have thicker hair on my chin length and lot of new grown hair that stand up on my head.
Is not something that you have to worry about. I know that it doesn't look nice but in the end new hair growth is something good.
Just be patience and wait till your hair will grow longer.

( I personally didn't cut my hair. I let them be and took very good care in order to preserve my length and now things are getting better. )

Kat_D
May 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Yep. I must have a lot of hair because when I went through a stress shed loss, I was picking up handfuls daily from my floor, and I really didn't notice it until I looked at my scalp closely. I also had very hard, crusty and painful dandruff. once the dandruff was treated, the shedding stopped. Then, came the new hairs! Hahahaha. It was cute, and I found they grew quite fast, but my hair grows like a weed anyhow.

I didn't notice much in my length, but I was keeping it shorter--mid-back to waist. Plus, I was going through a lot, so I wasn't really paying attention to my hair.

Good luck!!

Hi Darkhorse1,

I once had really long thick hair, however I went through a period of traumatic stress and I've been losing/shedding lots of hair since..... and now i have developed dandruff that's hard to control... what did you use (products) to help solve the dandruff problem? I am still shedding alot and I would like to solve the dandruff problem inorder to allow new healthy hair to grow in.

My head gets really itchy as well.. with lots of flakes.

Also, for those who have experience shedding, what did you do to stop the shedding? what shampoos do you recommend?

Thanks