PDA

View Full Version : For those who trim--do you notice this?

Darkhorse1
May 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM
I had an odd experience I was curious to know if any of you have experienced.

My ends were feeling pretty fried. I was using my regular conditioners and oiling, but it was apparent my ends needed a trim. I was considering a big chop (yeah, half an inch!), but seeing Igor's gorgeous new photos inspired me to just do a dusting (my hair dresser did it as I can't get my ends even).

With that little change, my ends are now silky soft and the fried feeling is gone!

How?? I'm sure I have damage further up on my hair since it's almost long enough to sit on----I'm wondering how a mini-trim can do this and if any other trimmers here have noticed this??

Thanks! :)

cleanbug
May 1st, 2009, 05:32 PM
Did you just get home from the hairdresser? Is it possible that she put some silcone products in your hair that is masking the damage?
Tami

AnneAdeline
May 1st, 2009, 06:19 PM
I just trimmed my hair (dusted, really) a couple days ago. I couldn't stop fondling my braid ends. :D
I really don't know why something so small can help so much. But I'm glad it's this way.

Jessikinz
May 1st, 2009, 06:24 PM
Yep, I noticed this when I got a very small trim a month ago. And it still feels that way.

AJoifulNoise
May 1st, 2009, 06:34 PM
My ends are always on their best behavior after a trim. Perhaps they are afraid I'll cut them more? :lol:

I know what you mean. I have a few more inches of damaged hair (from dye) so it's not really logical. But then, my hair isn't all that fried even though there is that damage. I just trim on a schedule.

a12345
May 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM
I noticed this when I recently tried a self trim. My ends were feeling kind of dry and snarly and afterwards, were silky. I'm not sure how it works, but its great!

Darkhorse1
May 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
Nope, she trimmed on Weds, and I've washed. She only uses water to wet the ends down.

I wonder if cutting some how changes the cuticle? But ...since hair is 'dead', I'm not sure if that can happen. I wonder if it allows more moisture to be absorbed, leaving it feeling softer??? Interesting :)

Jeni
May 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM
I have noticed the same thing. Just cutting 1/2" off will make my damaged length feel great, atleast for a few weeks. I'm glad Im not the only one who notices this.

Euphony
May 1st, 2009, 07:25 PM
Yep! I get mine trimmed 1/4" every 6 months. But over the last year and a half I've noticed my ends aren't as soft and tangle more at the 5 month mark so I think I'm going to up my schedule to 5 months for a while.

Heidi_234
May 2nd, 2009, 12:13 AM
Maybe a trim makes hair lay more nicely against itself? I wondered that too, I think my curls lay much more nicely after a trim (even the smallest one). Maybe hairs start to get in the way of each other, creating this dry and snarly feeling, so when you trim they stop doing that and it feels soft and healthy? :hmm:

Furiana
May 2nd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Maybe a trim makes hair lay more nicely against itself? I wondered that too, I think my curls lay much more nicely after a trim (even the smallest one). Maybe hairs start to get in the way of each other, creating this dry and snarly feeling, so when you trim they stop doing that and it feels soft and healthy? :hmm:

Now that's an idea! Even dusting could change the way hair lays against itself. I wonder how exactly that would work, though? :ponder:

Heidi_234
May 2nd, 2009, 12:39 AM
Now that's an idea! Even dusting could change the way hair lays against itself. I wonder how exactly that would work, though? :ponder:
Maybe the kinks in the very ends are not as tolerable as on the length? Let me illustrate that:
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/7392/20839771.gif

Furiana
May 2nd, 2009, 12:54 AM
How much of the kink would need to be cut off? Dusting doesn't remove very much! Trimming off even part of the bent a portion might be enough to help, though. Would those kinks on the ends be visible? Has anyone noticed whether trimming/dusting removes awkward bits from their ends?

... I wonder if people who tend to have kinks along the length don't find that dusting/trimming helps as much. I'm thinking of myself at the moment: I find most of my crinkly ends further up, and trimming doesn't make my hair feel super-soft.

I ought to look up some of the older threads about trimming and see what people had to say!

jessie58
May 2nd, 2009, 02:26 AM
A dusting always makes my ends bouncy and smooth instead of scraggly and tangly. It's as good as a full trim for me.

*wonders why I keep cutting inches of dusting lately*

Periwinkle
May 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Perhaps it's bluntening the ends? In Nightshade's photos, the one of a healthy adult hair has a weathered tip - I assume that cutting would make it blunt, and maybe that's what feels so nice.

Furiana
May 2nd, 2009, 12:22 PM
Perhaps it's bluntening the ends? In Nightshade's photos, the one of a healthy adult hair has a weathered tip - I assume that cutting would make it blunt, and maybe that's what feels so nice.

Well, that might be it too!

Nightshade
May 2nd, 2009, 12:33 PM

Very possible :)

I also notice great improvement from a 1/4 in trim, which is how I've grown out my damaged length.

I figure if 1/4in does the trick, why take more?

Darkhorse1
May 2nd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Nightshade---my thoughts exactly! :D :D

enfys
May 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
I don't think it takes much to make a big old difference.

I have straigh thair that isn't kinky much, but a little trim makes a big difference.

I don't want to trim until July, but I might need to because my endsare getting irritable....

deko
May 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
That makes kind of sense, I'm going to try it. I'm growing really damaged hair, it breaks off and doesn't gain lenght at all. I know it grows because I have to trim my bangs every few weeks, but overall lenght is staying at 24". It can't be my terminal lenght. :(

Dusting tomorrow :cheese:

jera
May 2nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
I dusted 1/4 inch off my ends yesterday. My first trim in 6 months. It does feel better. I was going to wait l the end of summer, but wanted a blunter hemline for the coming months. When it hits hip legth again I'll go for fairy tale ends once more. :p

JamieLeigh
May 4th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I've noticed it too. Sometimes the tiniest of trims make a huge difference in how my hair looks and feels. I'm not sure of the science of this, but I'm not going to complain! (If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? lol) :)

Snowflakey
May 4th, 2009, 02:00 PM
This happens to me too. Everytime I "dust", my hair suddenly feels silky after. It's amazing how just a small trim like that can make a huge difference in how my hair feels.

jahof45
May 4th, 2009, 02:06 PM
My ends are always on their best behavior after a trim. Perhaps they are afraid I'll cut them more? :lol:

LOL the same thought occurred to me. LOL I can hear all those little strands screaming a collective, "OUCH". Too funny :p

ravenreed
May 4th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I notice a huge difference after I trim! One of my issues right now is that as I grow out my layers, the very ends are getting trimmed and feel great, but not the shorter layers. The shorter layers feel scratchy to me and make me so itchy that I long for bs length hair. (I am the itchiest human on the planet, I swear!) I am not seeing a lot of split ends, which I used to get, so it really is just the old ends.

I have been toying with the idea of getting an actual hair cut, rather than trimming myself, just to ask the person to freshen my layers a bit. I am hesitant, though, because I don't want deeper layers or too much taken off. Decisions, decisions!