PDA

View Full Version : Glue in hair!

Sashay
April 30th, 2009, 03:40 PM
The padding in my helmet disintegrated and I got dark grey glue and foam bits in my hair! Cutting out is not a good option. It's a quarter size patch right in the middle of my center part, very close to, and smushed into my scalp. I'm planning on seeing if my shampoo does anything to help; Vo5 silky lavender. Anyone have any ideas if that doesn't work?

babbleball
April 30th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Oil. Oil tends to break down adhesives lightening fast.

Silver & Gold
April 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I once used peanut butter to get gum out of a neighbor girls hair that was stuck down tight to the scalp. Her mother brought her over to see if there was anything short of cutting her hair that would work. The combination of the oil and the grittiness of the peanut butter dissolved the gum quite nicely. I just kept working it with my fingers until the gum was completely dissolved.

I would think this could work for you as well.

Thenin
April 30th, 2009, 03:48 PM
people use peanut butter to get gum out of hair, I don't know if it would work for glue though.

renarok
April 30th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I'd try a heavy oil and massage it loose. If that doesn't work get some goo-gone or other adhesive remover and apply very sparingly with a q-tip. I have successfully removed lots of very stuck on substances with this method when my kids were little.

Please wash your hair really well immediately after. Those solvents are undoubtedly toxic.

please dont:scissors:

Sashay
April 30th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Thank you all for the advice! I'm going to start with oil. It seems like the easiest to get out.

Demetrue
April 30th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Olive oil, peanut butter, goo-gone, C-22 solvent, pure acetone - start with the natural oils first - solvents can be stinky, harsh and drying, but I still think they're a better alternative than cutting.

Sashay
April 30th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I didn't see any glue come out, but I can't feel or see any more, so I think the bulk of it dissolved. Thank you all so much for your fast responses! The whole drive home I was reassuring myself that I could come running to LHC for help as soon as I got to a computer. Thank goodness for all of your expertise!

Jessica Trapp
April 30th, 2009, 05:33 PM
*ack* I hope the oil works.

jes

Sashay
May 1st, 2009, 11:36 PM
The oil worked great! I combed it out well and there were only two tiny bits left stuck together. I threw some cheap citrusy vitamin Vo5 conditioner on there before shampooing, then proceeded as normal. I haven't been able to find any more little bits since. So, Hurray!:cheese:

Jessica Trapp
May 2nd, 2009, 06:52 AM
HOORAY! Glad it worked out!