PDA

View Full Version : Brush or Comb?

Pages : [1] 2

Stagecoach
March 8th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Which is it and why?

I've been comb only for over a year now, and I'm never going back to a brush! I have so much less frizz and breakage with combs, and my hair seems fuller too.

Unnamed
March 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Comb only for the last 3.5 years.

I used to brush, and let's just say: Damage. My hair is just too fragile. At present, every single hair from about hip on down has a broken end from brushing. :rolleyes:

eadwine
March 8th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Comb, definitely. Much less breakage with that.

The only time I DO use a brush is when I grab the BBB after applying heavy coconut oil to my hair.

capelli lunghi
March 8th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I brush and comb my hair.. I just make sure I go slow and am careful with either way!

Gwaihiril
March 8th, 2008, 10:55 PM
It's funny you posted this now, because I've been thinking about trying to go comb only after noticing a whole bunch of damage from my brush. It's just very hard to stop, since combing takes longer, for me at least, and the quickness of brushing is so appealing (on the other hand, the snap of breaking hair after it gets caught in the brush is extremely unappealing, so my vote may change in the future). Any tips on comb only?

Stagecoach
March 8th, 2008, 11:06 PM
It's funny you posted this now, because I've been thinking about trying to go comb only after noticing a whole bunch of damage from my brush. It's just very hard to stop, since combing takes longer, for me at least, and the quickness of brushing is so appealing (on the other hand, the snap of breaking hair after it gets caught in the brush is extremely unappealing, so my vote may change in the future). Any tips on comb only?

It took me a while to get used to comb only. But after a month or so it took me less time to comb than it used to take me to brush. I think for me it was just getting used to such a different way of handling my hair.

So you might want to give it a shot for a couple weeks... I get by the end you'll be about the same time length as with brushing.

DarthCynthia
March 8th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I chose brush and comb, but in all honesty I mainly use my wide-toothed comb. Every once in a while (especially before I wash my hair) I'll use the brush. It feels good and helps get out the shed hairs a little better than regular combing. I try not to do it too often though.

rubyredslippers
March 8th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I use brush and comb, mostly because I haven't got a good-quality or non-plastic comb, and my synthetic bristle brush does a lot to smooth flyaways. I am seriously considering buying a horn comb, though.

OhioLisa
March 8th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I comb only, and don't even do that very much. Basically, once after each washing. I usually finger comb in between.

Nightshade
March 8th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Combs only here :)

Melisande
March 8th, 2008, 11:59 PM
A wide toothed comb, and that's it. Most of the time I don't even have to comb, my fine straight hair doesn't need it.

I'll never return to brushes. Combing is much gentler.

jessie58
March 9th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I'm newly converted to comb only. Much less shedding, less breakage too.

nowxisxforever
March 9th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I prefer my wooden comb from The Body Shop, but I haven't been able to find it lately. I also have a wooden-tined paddle brush that I use to scritch my scalp (combs just aren't enough for THIS level of dandruff and itchies) but I've been using it or my fingers to detangle since misplacing my comb. Except now I seem to have misplaced my brush. :[

I guess that's what brushing/combing while sick gets you: lost combs/brushes.

CurlyNinja
March 9th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I only use a wide-tooth comb in the shower and sometimes to fix my part in soaking-wet hair if there's a problem. If my hair has dried straight-ish through braiding or bunning then I'll finger comb, and I very gently finger comb at night when I'm putting in some oil before my sleeping braid and bed.

dancingbarefoot
March 9th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I only brush. Until about tailbone or so, I almost exclusively combed with a wide-tooth comb, but tangling was awful. When I gave the Denman nylon brush a try, it quickly became my favorite. Now I can't remember the last time I used a comb.

marajade
March 9th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I used to brush and it gave me horrible dryness, flyaways, and frizz!!! However, I do have BBB, which I use once a week or so ( but only before bed followed by a heavy oiling). But above all I finger comb and use my lovely horn comb...

Naluin
March 9th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I use a comb, but only on wash days to detangle. In between washes, I use my fingers to gently separate and fluff my hair, since some places can get quite flattened while sleeping.

Brushes for me equal major poof, lots of breakage and a receding hairline. No, thank you!

For the most part my hair likes to be left alone. It does like to be petted from time to time, though.

kate46
March 9th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I voted comb only but I do use my bbb on rare occasions when my scalp is a bit greasy to hide the scalp show through.

*Elvina*
March 9th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I voted for brush and comb. I normally brush once a day and I comb when I have a really difficult knot but that doesn't happen too often.

rhosyn_du
March 9th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Comb for detangling and brush for doing updos and keeping my fringe from looking stringy.

sapphire-o
March 9th, 2008, 04:20 AM
I chose both, though it really doesn't make much difference. My hair doesn't tangle much so either comb or brush just slip right through. I do use good quality, seamless ones.

Lillian
March 9th, 2008, 04:41 AM
I ticked the 'comb only' box. I use my Kent 10T comb every morning (I can't bare to put my hair up without detangling it first), and occaisionally use a BBB, but really only on my scalp. I never brush or comb my hair when it's wet. I used to brush all the time before I found LHC, and the damage I got from that was immense - my fine hair needs very gentle handling.

Guenever
March 9th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I've used my The Body Shop's wooden comb since I joined and it works very well..
Sometimes I fingercomb but I've found out that it makes me shed more and as a finey I don't want that! So always back to the comb^^

Alaia
March 9th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I do both. Combing is actually becoming a nuisance so I think I actually need to go get a denman.

The brush I have at the moment is a BBB but when at my parents' house I use their "paddle" style denman brushes and it is just so much easier.

I find myself not bothering to comb my hair much any more because there is so much of it to comb. I love the action of combing it though, makes me feel all nice...

dukkelisa
March 9th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I prefer to finger comb for the most part. I use a brush lightly right before washing, just enough to get it all in the same direction and ready to wash and let dry without doing anything.

ilovelonghair
March 9th, 2008, 06:54 AM
I used to only comb, but lately I brush as well. I like it, it's like a scalp massage. But I shouldn't do it too often. I haven't noticed more hair loss with brushing, but I have to be more careful no to break my hair.

florenonite
March 9th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I don't really do anything regularly, I tend to forget. I fingercomb after washing and if my hair needs it the rest of the time, and I comb then BBB before washing when I remember (which isn't very often, or else I remember and can't be bothered).

Feisty Redhead
March 9th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I voted that I brush and comb. Mostly I finger comb but I'll use a plastic comb (filed down the seams and am planning on buying a wooden comb soon!) too from time to time. I prefer combing because it doesn't make my wurls vanish the way brushing does. But, there are times I like to brush because it just feels so good on the scalp... ;)

harley mama
March 9th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I didn't vote because I finger comb most of the time. But,every now and then I use a wide tooth comb after I detangle with my fingers. Maybe I'll choose the cheese!

talullah
March 9th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I can only brush dry hair.

Combing compresses the tangles into tight knots, but my Denman detangles like magic. The many rows of teeth hold the "misaligned" hairs apart so I can work through them, putting them back into alignment. Combs just squish the out-of-place hair into matts and tangles. Combs create more problems than they solve, for my hair.

Elfling
March 9th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I'm very much trying to be comb only; I think maybe I need a wide-tooth and a finer-tooth comb to satisfy the "It's not smooooooth" look. The boar bristle brush just seems to mat my hair down and tangle it.

Are you lovelies using wood, horn or plastic combs?

WavyGal
March 9th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I use a wide tooth comb. I have naturally curly hair that I prefer to wear curly. A brush will destroy the waves and curls plus allow my hair to expand. I only detangle with a wide tooth comb when I am in the shower and conditioner is in my hair.

Laululintu
March 9th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I use both... I do tend to comb before brushing 99% of the time though.

jojo
March 9th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I use the body shops wooden comb and i also have a shower comb from boots which i use to de-tangle in the shower with, i do use my BBB every so often too.

eresh
March 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I brush before washing my hair, to get most of the sheds out.
(slowly and carfully!)
Afterwards I use a very wide toothed wooden comb to detangle and a normal comb to carefully comb it "smooth" for braiding.

Moondial
March 9th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I have a simple blue plastic vent brush with widely-spaced, blunt and kind plastic bristles. It's the only tool I use on both wet and dry hair.

LilyMunster
March 9th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Comb only. Horn comb, denman 3row, or a MasonPearson rake. Also use conair shower comb to distribute conditioner.
Comb keeps frizz down and forces me to take my time.:cool:
Oops, I lied. I have a kent BBB that I use to smooth updo's.

OR Cowgirl
March 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I've been comb only for years before I found my way to the long hair boards. I use a wide tooth horn comb and have a fine tooth one for smoothing.

Mariah

AJoifulNoise
March 9th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I said both, but I want to be more specific. I don't brush my length. That horrible snapping sound sends shivers up my spine. I am comb only. But, when I do updos I use a brush to smooth back my hair. I've yet to come across a comb that could do as good a job at this as a brush.

kwaniesiam
March 9th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I used to use a wide tooth comb from hairsense, now nothing at all :)

Teacherbear
March 9th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I love me some Denman! :silly: I use my Denman brushes which act like combs, but feel FABULOUS on my scalp. They reduce brush/combing time over either of those two tools independently!

I own Kent (and kent type combs and love them, but love my Denman the most). I also own a Mason Pearson large extra all bbb and love it, but rarely use it.

BlndeInDisguise
March 9th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I mostly just finger comb, but I'm sometimes still use my horn comb. I still have breakage from that, though. :( I must have wimpy hair.

Iylivarae
March 9th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I only comb at the moment. Sometimes I use the brush to get my hair straighter at the top, for forming a bun, but I don't really call it brushing...

savi
March 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I have a wide tooth comb that I use, or try to. I really can't resist my old paddle brush, it just sits there calling for me..
I justify using it by the fact that it makes my hair smoother... so yea, I use both. :rolleyes:

Zora
March 9th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I use both, but I prefer my brushes, because combing feels more damaging to me. I also need a brush to make my hair at the top look smooth.

Shanarana
March 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I comb my hair once after a shampoo and pick it out through out the day as needed if I wear it down.

Shorty89
March 9th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I used to think that combing would make my hair awful, but I decided to give it a try and I'm converted! I recently bought a comb from americombs.com and it's amazing! It's wood and feels so good on my scalp! I do use a BBB every so often.

jel
March 9th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I never really used to brush, not even when my hair was short. Nowadays I just use a wide-toothed wooden comb (Body Shop) - I broke my narrow-teeth wooden comb maybe a year ago and haven't replaced it yet. Thinking about a horn comb, though...

Wanderer09
March 9th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Combs all the way. I have a plastic wide-tooth comb that works pretty well for me. I've also become good at working through tangles with just my fingers. :p

Brushes just make my hair frizzy. :(

thunderlilies
March 9th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I use both. I generally use a comb when my hair is wet. Brush when it's dry.

helynhighwater
March 9th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I used to prefer brushing way back when it was short, but nowadays rarely use anything but a wide-toothed comb. I just ordered a wooden comb from The Body Shop.

Haith
March 9th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I finger comb-only, but my hair never really gets tangled. I stopped brushing it a few years ago and it seems happy.

Delila
March 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I mostly finger comb, especially when my hair is wet or damp, but I do use a wide toothed comb when I need to.

SaveTheTapirs
March 9th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I brush and comb, but I don't brush very often, and only with a BBB. If someone had asked me this like a year ago, I would have said "brush only"! I used to think that a brush was the only thing that could deal with my thick, frizzy hair. Of course, I ripped through the tangles, and came to believe that those horrible snapping sounds were normal! But after studying up at LHC, I now almost exclusively use a wooden wide-tooth comb or a smooth plastic one. Also, since changing my hair care routine, the condition of my hair is a lot better, and a lot less frizzy. I'm glad to be out of the vicious circle of damaging my hair.

Lize
March 9th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Sometimes comb, sometimes BBB.

AmandaPanda
March 9th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I finger comb when my hair is wet/damp. I'll use a comb almost all of the time my hair is dry. I will use a BBB occasionally after combing out all the tangles to make my hair extra smooth

Elfling
March 9th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I need to find a good horn comb, I think.

PatGear
March 9th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I use both. Generally I comb, but I brush just before I wash my hair with the Denman brush. It's much more effective in removing already loose hair than a comb.

Repunzlnée
March 9th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Must brush- MP the only one that does not rip my hair out, Occasional comb w/ wide tooth MP- usually just when wet. My hair tangles too easily otherwise and nearing knees now is no fun when that happens

AJoifulNoise
March 9th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I need to find a good horn comb, I think.

I have this horn comb (http://heavenlyharvestinc.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/119?osCsid=2d65f510a2c58c2f479c20a6b3ecc62d) and I love it.

MadHatter
March 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Comb only for me. Much less damage and static.

Shirlpunzel
March 9th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I voted brush and comb, just because I guessed that was most accurate. I probably fingercomb more than anything, as I do that before combing. I probably comb maybe once or twice a day, using a very widetoothed comb I've had for years(just a plastic cheapie, but I filled it as smooth as I possibly could). I only brush rarely now, a few times a week at the very most, using a bbb. It just depends on what my hair seems to need at the time.

I just ordered a "palm" size seamless bone comb from hairsense today. If I'm happy with it I'm sure I'll order more.

snowbear
March 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM
After months of only combing, I'm back to brushing, and I'm liking it much better. I still comb every once in a while, though.

psvzum
March 9th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Which is it and why?

I've been comb only for over a year now, and I'm never going back to a brush! I have so much less frizz and breakage with combs, and my hair seems fuller too.
I just comb. The only time I might brush (using vent brush with wide teeth) is at bedtime before braiding if I have alot of tangles. Even then, I work them out with the comb first.

mira-chan
March 9th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Comb, I only combed for much of my life. I'm still not that great at brushing though I tried it. I use a BBB on the scalp only occasionally to degunk/massage. If I use any other brush I get horrible static.

Lasiren
March 9th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Only comb!

Deborah
March 9th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I do both. :) For many years I was brush only except when detangling after washing, when I used a wide tooth comb. Lately I find myself always using the Body Shop wooden comb or the Body Shop wooden bristle brush.

I have an MP BBB and a couple of Denman #4's. I like these a lot, but haven't used them lately. I think I'm enjoying the wood I'm using and want to stick with it for a while.

I have numerous combs, the best of which are my Madora ivory combs (like a hot knife through buttah..), the Body Shop wooden comb, and I guess, the Heavenly Harvest horn combs - I have both the wide tooth (women's) and the fine tooth (men's). The horn combs are nice, but I don't love them as so many others do. The Madora is absolutely great, but it is so smooth and the teeth are so blunt and wide-spaced, that I always feel like I need to follow it with something else, maybe for the scalp stimulation.

The Body Shop wooden brush and comb are just wonderful to use, and right now I can't bring myself to use anything else.

I don't get finger combing at all (except right after a wash, just before using a comb). I think it leaves the hair stringy looking. I cannot imagine using just that on my hair.

Many of you like combs best, but when I use a comb is when I hear the most snapping, so for me, brushing seems a little safer. My hair is VERY fine (think toddler hair :rolleyes: , just more of it.) Maybe that has something to do with it.

addikted
March 10th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Nothing for me, just the occasional finger combing to get rid of the snarlies! Im lucky, my hair is pretty well behaved.

tiny_teesha
March 10th, 2008, 02:56 AM
i comb 90% of the time. When my hair is an oil pit i use the BBB and i use a thick plastic bristled brush 3 times a year just on the scalp as a massage. it just feels much better then a comb!

Amnell
March 10th, 2008, 03:20 AM
I use both. First i comb to remove tangles and then i brush.
I like the feeling of a brush on my scalp (its a wooden brush)

aisling
March 10th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I use both, but I use a brush only a little to smooth my hair before putting it up or similar. A comb is my main detangling instrument and what I use daily.

UrbanEast
March 10th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I barely use my brush now that I have the Heavenly Harvest horn comb.

JKRBeloved
March 10th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I do both, but I don't use a typical bristle brush anymore; I use one with big, widely-spaced, ball-topped bristles.

Anje
March 10th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I do both. I comb primarily and use it for preliminary detangling, but if I really want all the little tangles and knots out, a wide-tooth comb doesn't cut it and even seems to cause problems after a point. Once there, I reach for my Denman brush. Works quite well, nice and smooth, and fluffs my hair a bit.

Scorpeo
March 10th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I've just used a comb (pick) only ever since I got my first perm in high school. Even through my years without perms, I just used the pick; I still use the first one I ever bought.

Electronika
March 10th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Well up until this point I have been using a regular brush and having some SEVERE static, I think im going to further investigate this wide toothed comb business and see where that takes me :p

Stagecoach
March 10th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Well up until this point I have been using a regular brush and having some SEVERE static, I think im going to further investigate this wide toothed comb business and see where that takes me :p

Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes!

I've been quite suprised at how closely the 'comb only' and 'brush and comb' groups have been! Somehow I didn't realize there were this many comb only's around!

Billie
March 11th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Definitely both. For detangling it's the bone comb. But for styling I have to use a brush. I used to use the comb only. But updo's are much neater when I brush my hair backwards.

birthmarkie
March 11th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I used to brush almost my whole life, but now I comb and my brushes are all in closed shelves. I find my combs more gentle. Also, especially in the winter I noticed my dry scalp and hair gets irritated with brushing. I also fingercomb on occasion but my B&BW wood comb is almost as gentle as fingercombing. Also, I can never keep brushes clean.

slynn41202
March 11th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I use a brush less than once a month, the rest of the time I use a comb.

Future CCC-SLP
March 11th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Switching to comb only I find less breakage. Although I may start brushing at night.

MadPirateBippy
March 11th, 2008, 11:42 PM
My brushes are crap and I need to throw them away because they damage my hair so. I ADORE my horn comb (I had no idea there would be that much difference, and I got it at Heavenly Harvest which I strongly recommend, also their tooth powder rocks). Eleven dollars or something like that and my hair has a new best friend that's SO much nicer than anything else, it blows it out of the water.

I might get a brush if I can afford a Mason Pearson brush or something.I just need to throw mine out, to be frank.

And sometimes, when I'm tired and need to get out NOW, I will rip through my hair with the comb and I can hear the snapping. :( I've been bad since LHC hasn't been here to inspire appropriate treatment of my hair.

effe
March 12th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I only comb.
Brush is too harsh for my curly hair. It will rip my hair out.
I have a wide-toothed wooden comb that I use for detangling and a normal plastic comb for combing.

enfys
March 12th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I use a Denman paddle brush mostly. At times I've nabbed the boyfriend's comb, but that just makes knots. It sounds worse too. My brush never rips my hair, but I hear pings and snaps when I comb.

andrea1982
March 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I use both right now, but I think I'm going to have to go comb only. For years pre LHC, I would only finger comb then use a widely spaces vent brush to blow dry. Then, I came hear and read wonderful reviews of BBB's. I also had romantic notions of long haired beauties "of olde" brushing out their tresses before bed, and I so wanted to love brushing. After much research I bought a beautiful kent off of ebay, and I've been using it occasionally for about a month. Although it penetrates to my scalp much better than any other BBB, it still flattens out my slight waves, irritates my scalp and makes it oily, and makes my hair kind of dry and matted feeling down the length. Boo hoo :(.

lemonlife
March 12th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I threw out my brushes a few months back. I was tired of them breaking in my hair (yes, you read that right. My hair broke the brushes). Combs take a little more patience, but they go through my hair & don't break in it as often

Melein
March 13th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I recently switched to a wooden comb and it's reduced the amount of breakage I get while detangling significantly, so long as I'm patient and resist the temptation to rip through the tangles.

I have a boar bristle brush with nylon quills but find I tend to lose a lot of hair when I use it so don't do so often.

vindo
March 13th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I almost never brush.
Sometimes my scalp before washes and rarely the length when I go out and wear it down.
But thats about it..I always carry a wide (curlscomb) toothed and a small toothed comb (boxwood) with me.

I dont think brushing really does much for my hair other than make it look neat..detangling with a brush is a no, no..:eek:

Mahars
March 13th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I use both. Big comb in the shower, BBB before shower, and big plastic paddle brush whenever. I like how brushes stimulate my scalp and spread out the oils. Plus, I have really coarse hair so I have more problems with dryness than with breakage.

purplebubba
March 13th, 2008, 08:06 PM
"I brush and comb"

I have these

Brushes
Denman D5
Denman D3
Denman D31

Combs
Mason Pearson Rake / Wide Tooth

I use the D3 brush about 80% and the others are divided among the remaining 20%.

AprilElf
March 14th, 2008, 03:10 AM
I've always used brush and comb.
But I'm going to do some combing only experiments, to see if it makes any difference.

I do enjoy the sensation of a brush on the scalp, though ... ;)

blackcat905
March 14th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I use a comb the majority of the time because my hair is prone to tangling and a comb is easier (and not as damaging!) to detangle with.

Elfling
March 15th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I ended up buying both of Heavenly Harvest's combs- the wide tooth women's comb and the smaller-toothed men's pocket comb, because my scalp was in dire need of some good scritching. AHHH. Love them. I thought my generic wide-tooth plastic comb went through my hair smoothly but oh my, what a difference. And no static!

Jeep Girl
March 16th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Comb only. Brushes are evil, evil things for my fine wavy hair.

Dacia
March 16th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I use both, comb for detangling, but I prefer brushing.

Firefly
March 16th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I voted for comb only. I do have a MP BBB, but I find as my hair gets longer I just don't have the need for it. Now I typically use my wide tooth Madora comb in the shower, and occasionally in the a.m. if I'm particularly tangly. But since I sleep with a braid, that's usually not the case. :)

Snowblood
March 20th, 2008, 02:15 AM
I comb only. Brushing causes greasy hair and more hair breakage in my case. I think that now my hair doesn´t break so easily due to careful combing.

WritingPrincess
March 22nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
I chose cheese, just for fun! :p I use a brush almost exclusively. I am very gentle though. I just find that combs seem to break my hair a lot.

Red Jezebel
March 23rd, 2008, 05:18 AM
Darn, selected brush instead of comb, sorry! I had a complete brain fart! (such nice terminology!) :D Subtract one from brush and add it to the comb.

I mainly use a comb nowadays (80% of the time), after seeing a thread on the old forums about how much gentler it is for hair. It normally takes less time and I can feel that it isn't so harsh on my hair. However, I used the brush the other day for the first time in a few months and it got a bit of stuff that looks like dust on the brush (!!!) out of my hair that I don't think a comb removes. Of course this dust would be removed by washing so I don't suppose it matters... *shrugs*

I also saw a post about brushing being good for your scalp but I think using horn combs and head massages covers any benefits a brush has except for moving sebum down the hair length - however, I think my hair manages to do that fine by itself anyway :mad:

Sarahmoon
March 23rd, 2008, 09:52 AM
I started using combs instead of brushes a few months ago and like it so far. My hair becomes less static and I seem to lose less hair. I only brush veeeery occasionally if the scalp hair is greasy and a comb causes comb stripes.

WavyGirl
March 23rd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Comb only. Brushing causes damage and makes my hair look greasy. I can't just finger comb as it never works to properly detangle for me - combs are my friends.

Ashley
March 23rd, 2008, 11:24 AM
I comb daily and since a few weeks I also started brushing with my wooden Widu brush; so on wash days I do massage my scalp with it.

soleluna
March 23rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
I comb and brush but was thinking of going comb only.. do you comb wet and dry hair? or dry hair only? do you comb conditioner?
And what comb would be a good comb? what do you suggest? thanks

Elleyena
March 23rd, 2008, 12:43 PM
I comb for detangling and brush for smoothing

paper
March 23rd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Once, I decided to let my hair grow, I stopped using a brush. That was hard because I used it all the time. I bought a horn comb which I love and use that all the time.

heidihug
March 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
I use a nylon brush with very few bristles - the fewer the better for me. And ONLY when my hair is dry. Otherwise, I finger comb. I have never been able to use an actual comb, though I have tried several times with some very high quality combs. They are just a nightmare for me, it would take me hours to get any one of them through my hair - it is quite long and very fine and there's not a lot of it. So I gently brush my hair, starting at the ends and working carefully up. I don't see much hair loss, either.

CurlyOne
March 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
I am using my BBB more and more lately and I like it more than my regular brush. I do a but of finger combing though if I hit a knot. But I do think I need to find an extra wide comb for when my hair is wet.

Carolyn
March 23rd, 2008, 08:00 PM
I use my Mebco detangling comb and my MP brush most of the time. I have a different wide tooth comb when I'm out and need to comb my hair. Yes I do comb it in public :p

icydove
March 23rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Comb only here.

I used to have curly hair, 3a-3bish, and I only used a hair pick. I owned a paddle brush to do my hair straight when it was short, but mostly, I just used the pick because of the frizz I got from brushing. After finding LHC, I dropped the pick for a seamless comb ;)

Diamondbell
March 23rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
I do more of brushing than combing. I do use the comb too... ;)

Rae~
March 24th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I can only brush dry hair.

Combing compresses the tangles into tight knots, but my Denman detangles like magic. The many rows of teeth hold the "misaligned" hairs apart so I can work through them, putting them back into alignment. Combs just squish the out-of-place hair into matts and tangles. Combs create more problems than they solve, for my hair.

I use a wide-toothed comb a lot. ALWAYS if wet or even just damp, but if my hair is completely dry, then often tallulah's comment is exactly my experience. My Denman often does a much better job of detangling - the comb just compresses the (many, little) snarls into one big one.

That said, I chose the "uses both" option, since I do.

Sossity
March 24th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Right now I use brushes; specifically a Denman square large cushion paddle brush, & a Denman rubber base nylon brush, & a Creative hair tools oval cushin brush. practically all my life where ever I brush my hair, right now this is my bedroom, after awhile layers of my long hair strands start bunching up/build up on the carpet in my room, so much so after awhile that I have to go over my carpet with a stiff brush to brush my hairs off the floor, is this normal? is it excessive shedding? if I am having excessive shedding; is it due to hair brushes? would using just combs reduce this? it is a little embarrassing when I occasionally have someone in my room, it is like a zoo animal is living there. if I switch to combs what would be best for my hair type? - 2c-3a/M/C/ii-iii?

Sossity

Juniper
March 24th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I said that I "only" finger comb, but that's a little more absolute than the truth. I finger comb at least once daily, and use a wide-toothed comb or boar bristle brush when I feel like it...maybe once every month or two.

luna*
March 24th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I only comb. I love my wide toothed wooden and horn combs.

Phalaenopsis
March 24th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I use a wide toothed comb to detangle. I use my wooden Body Shop brush when I want to do an updo or do a ponytail.

Samara Morgan
March 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I only use a wide-toothed comb, but I've had the same one for ages and it's plastic. I've been looking round lots of shops for a wooden one, and you would think they don't exist! :bigeyes: Lol - I'll just have to stop being internet-lazy and order one off of eBay :lol:

Faepirate
March 24th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I use a big square paddle brush and a wide-toothed comb. If my hair is well moisturised the comb is enough to groom it, but if it's having an off-day then I really need the brush. I am very gentle using both, though.

I can't use those brushes that have lots of little hairs in, though. They just matt my hair!

HappyHaley
March 24th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Brush and comb here. I finger comb before my shower, comb (with a hard rubber comb) after my shower, and brush only when my hair is dry.

~Haley

Green_Ghost
March 24th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Comb alone because the brush does nothing for my curls. Comb does wonders for ridding me of the loose hairs and getting the overall volume of things into the right direction

Leisha
March 25th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I only comb or fingercomb. :)

Schnee
March 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I mostly brush, but use a comb sometimes for detangeling etc. I've tried to comb only, but I just prefer a brush. It takes less time, it is easier to reach all the hair and I don't notice damage from brushing. :)

MeMyselfandI
March 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I only use a wide-toothed comb, but I've had the same one for ages and it's plastic. I've been looking round lots of shops for a wooden one, and you would think they don't exist! :bigeyes: Lol - I'll just have to stop being internet-lazy and order one off of eBay :lol:

The Body Shop has wooden combs and brushes.

zift
March 25th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I use my fingers for detangling even if I'm going to use something afterwards. In the shower I use a wide-toothed plastic detangling comb with a handle(to be able to reach the ends). With dry hair I almost never use a comb. I either detangle with fingers only and it's mostly enough but if I want the message in my scalp and smoothing my hair I use a BBB,have the Jean Pierre natural boar bristle stuff and it's awesome. After I used this I can say it made my coarse hair feel like fine(uuum well OK not quite but still soft OK?)And all the BBBs I used before just made my hair even more fluffy and this makes it smoother.

Ms Monnie
March 25th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I have a Mason Pierson mixed nylon and boar bristle brush, a wide-toothed wooden comb and a fine-toothed horn comb. They are arranged in a row and I choose my weapon according to the state of the mop. I use my horn comb the most out of all of them, but I only use it on scalp hair. I think I tend to reach for the wooden comb for my length more often nowadays.

socks
March 26th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I brush my hair thoroughly with a nylon bristle brush about once a week, and I brush my scalp every day before I put my hair in a bun. Combs just seem to make tangles worse in my hair. :shrug:

Gumball
March 26th, 2008, 11:32 PM
No check boxes otherwise I would've picked both combing and finger coming. Just the idea of brushing my hair gives me the chills. Oh the memories of doing that...

Iona
March 27th, 2008, 03:30 AM
The Body Shop has wooden combs and brushes.

Also, Conair has released a 'Naturals' line which includes two styles of wooden comb, they appear to be well made and smooth. I compared them with my Body Shop comb and it felt pretty close. I didn't like their Boar Bristle Brushes from the line though, they had a plastic spike in each tuft. I bought my two at Target, but I'm sure they'll have them at other stores.

I'm comb only, have been for a couple of years now. It honestly started when I lost my brush and didn't feel like the hunt for a new one. It became habit to reach for the comb (if I wanted hair even close to detangled), and it slowly dawned on me how much easier it is without the brush. I did find the brush, going through an old piece of luggage, missed it when unpacking..lol

Forever_Sophie
March 28th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I've used a comb only for maybe 4 yrs (still use it the odd time I blowdry). I have a BBB but never was that impressed with it.

shell78
March 28th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Comb or finger-comb. (and only when wet and saturated with conditioner)

My curls won't have it any other way!

RedCardigan
March 28th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I brush and comb BUT I can't use boar bristle brushes at all.

I brush once in a while with a Denman(?) brush that has widely spaced nylon bristles or my wood brush from The Body Shop.

90% of the time though, I use a plastic hair pick/comb. Its really widely spaced, can't use narrow toothed combs at all.

citymorningblue
March 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I only fingercomb, & only in the shower with lots of conditioner in. My hair is so much less frizzy since I started doing this.

sweetkandi
March 29th, 2008, 03:39 PM
i comb my hair out when its wet, and when its dry, I brush.

Brun
March 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I do never brush. Only comb.

Coral
March 29th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Generally I only comb my hair.

lilalong
March 30th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I only use my fingers. It works fine for now.

orangeeyecrayon
March 30th, 2008, 11:59 AM
i brush and comb,
however i only use a brush when i am putting my hair up and need a really smooth surface, hopefully that makes it better

aprilmay
March 30th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I comb my hair when it is freshly washed and brush 2-3 times a day. I broke a wide tooth comb in half and my other wide tooth comb I broke one of the thick end tines off. Both of these are plastic. I also pull the bristles out of my brush and they fly around my bathroom. I have a wooden comb that was supposed to wide toothed, but I can't use it. Advice appreciated!

mommabuck
March 30th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I comb when wet, brush when dry. No idea why, just what I've always done.. Never really thought about it..now your making me think about it!

Tsevoth
March 31st, 2008, 01:15 PM
I brush and comb, but reading about al the benefits of combing only I'm sincerely doubting about trying "combing only".

Delilah
March 31st, 2008, 01:25 PM
Brush and comb.
Comb when it's wet or especially tangled. BBB to make it fluffy, smooth it into a hairstyle, etc.

filiadeluna
March 31st, 2008, 01:26 PM
99% of the time I only use a very wide-tooth comb. I occasionally brush it just to get the scalp oils moving down the length to help protect it against damage and keep from getting dandruff.

Nynaeve
March 31st, 2008, 06:44 PM
I voted cheese because I go back and forth with which ones I use.
I will go for a month of only finger-brushing with a little oil, then I will start using both my brush and my comb, then I will go for a month of only comb and finger-brushing.
Indecisiveness at its best!

WritingPrincess
April 2nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Since my last post, my mom got a seamless wooden comb and I love it! I shed so much less, and there is so much less breakage. I think I've converted!

Jorchet
April 3rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
I comb for detangling - on wet hair with condish on - and then when I'm done styling I brush the length, it gives me better clumpling.

Tapioca
April 3rd, 2008, 05:29 PM
What I use is called a brush, but the action is more comb-like. It's got hard bristles spaced very far apart. I tried a soft-bristle brush once, and my hair laughed at it. It didn't even come close to getting to my scalp. And I have a wide-toothed comb in the shower.

WritingPrincess
April 3rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
The Body Shop has wooden combs and brushes. Oh, and we got ours from the Body Shop.

cupcakeblonde
April 3rd, 2008, 10:04 PM
Currently I do both, my hair is only short, as it gets longer the comb will be used more :)

ILikeTreefrogs
April 4th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I'm so slow, I've only just started combing!! I usually comb if wet, brush or comb if dry.

DaSwiss
April 4th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Comb in the morning, a good brush through at night!

Nadezhda
April 4th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I generally don't brush or comb my hair, as it's gotten so magically manageable on CO. I comb it though, usually with a seamless wooden comb (from the Body Shop) when I treat with oil, or style it on those odd occasions.

Periwinkle
April 4th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I never knew it was such a good idea to use combs. What sort is best?

sweetlidlred
April 4th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I comb everyday and brush right before I wash, every 3-4 days.

soleluna
April 4th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I never knew it was such a good idea to use combs. What sort is best?

I love a seamless plastic comb. Or a wooden one, but it tugs hair a bit.

HappyCurls
April 4th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I comb and finger comb only. My hair is too thick and tangles too easily to use a brush .

EmeraldIona
April 4th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I have only ever used a comb on my hair. My mother used to brush my hair when I was little, but I found it hurt too much. I have been using a wide toothed comb since I was around 6 or 7 years old.

Lizbot
April 6th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I lost my comb during moving, so now it's finger combing most of the time. The only exception is pre-shower when I finger comb then brush to distribute oils. I always finger comb first though... be it pre-brush or pre-comb.

Frenchie
April 7th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I comb and finger comb almost exclusively. On the rare occasion that I use my hair fryer, I may use a brush to help the drying process a little.

2littlebirds
April 10th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Usually just comb. I use a brush sometimes right before showering because I shed a lot.

lora410
April 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I use only my comb now. The few times I tried to go back to a brush the snapping and tugging on hairs stop that real fast.

1nuitblanche
April 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Usually, I just comb enough to part my hair and then use my fingers for the rest. Once in a while, I'll brush it, and then use a wide tooth comb after (to get my hair to look decent again).

birthmarkie
April 18th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I might be switching to occasional brushing (with a BBB) *and* combing after a half-year hiatus from brushing. The BBB really helps smooth down my hair after I've detangled with a comb.

rosieposie
April 19th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I honestly dont think I have ever used a brush. Comb only.

MoonSong
April 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM
I still do both. I used to brush my hair when it was wet though, and now I only use a wide tooth comb so I think thats helped tremendously. After its dry though I usually use a brush. One step at a time...

aprilmay
April 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM
I just broke some bristles on my wooden comb last week. I need a new sturdy, wide tooth one for when my hair is wet and I need a better brush. I am also pulling the bristles out of my hair brush. Any advice on products?

Stagecoach
April 22nd, 2008, 07:06 AM
Have you thought of a horn comb? Do a google search for Heavenly Harvest Combs, and you'll come up with some. They're very gentle on hair, and seem to be pretty sturdy from the reports around here.

Tap Dancer
April 22nd, 2008, 07:19 AM
I use a comb or my fingers 95% of the time. I have a BBB that I pull out a handful of times a year. I feel I'm more gentle with my hair when I comb.

lavenderblue
April 22nd, 2008, 07:37 AM
I use a wooden comb and a wooden brush (sometimes)

icing
April 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
I only use this wooden comb (http://www.internatural-alternative-health.com/ingr/ingr132110.cfm)… I really like it, but at some point, I’d like something a little more smooth and nice.
My hair just doesn’t look neat enough when I finger-comb, and brushes seem to add to the snagg and frizz, but my little wooden comb seems to do a good job at tidying, while making my hair look thick and shiny – and it doesn’t hurt my scalp like most brushes do, so that makes me love combs even more! :P

Leisha
April 23rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
Last week I brushed my hair for the first time in years... and I liked it :eek: hehe. No really, it made my hair look quite nice... I might experiment with brushing some more (not to detangle, but after I comb it out to make it look less "piecey").

Aromatic
April 26th, 2008, 09:49 AM
On wet hair I use a big comb, but for dry hair I have a very beautifull wooden brush. It's Olive wood and I love it!!

Millielie
April 27th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I love my widetoothed comb. I only use that one.

Irishred
April 27th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I brush and comb, but mostly comb. I only brush when distributing oils after day 2 or 3, and then only a little.

ysmalan
April 27th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I'd been in love with my BBB... really. I only brushed, mostly twice every day, and it made my hair shiny and soft. But... it also made my hair poofy and "wooly". I never suffered breakage, split ends or anything like that because of my brush, but after brushing my hair would all be sticking together, almost impossible to separate into strands, which made it very difficult to braid. I always wondered why my hair behaved like this... only recently I discovered that the BBB was the culprit. For over one month now, I have been combing my hair only. The BBB still gets used for aligning the hair on my head or for distributing oil into the lengths. Since then my hair is much easier to handle... I can actually drag my fingers all the length through my hair without a problem, which I've never been able to do before. I always thought I had terrible tangly hair... now I know better. :]

aprilmay
April 27th, 2008, 01:39 PM
The tines still look a little weak. I broke one or more out of mine last week. The entire backbone of my sturdy thick/wide tooth comb snapped in half about a month ago. I can have a bit of a rats nest at the nape of my neck that could probably use a garden rake to sort out. :)

aprilmay
April 27th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I just looked up horn combs and they have one listed as the classic for feathering, awesome! Actually, they look quite sturdy, but they are kind of pricey.

Alaskanheart
April 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I only comb and never comb wet. My hair is fine and too much manipulation messes up the shaft making it look frizzy and causes splits .

I quite the roundbrush/blowdrier combo cold turkey!bad news that style technique is.

amberdakota
April 28th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I use a wooden brush or a wooden comb when my hair is dry (love that wooden comb!), and a horn comb when it is wet. I like using my wooden comb to disitribute the oils...feels so good!

Celebrian
April 28th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I've been 'comb only' for years. I have always had a bad time with tangles in that period.

I recently returned to brushing just to see what would happen, and to my suprise, provided I work from 'bottom up' the brush lifts out my tangles far more quickly and gently than the combe ever did. And the comb was a special de-tangling one... So, I don't really know what to think now.

So, I'll comb when hair is wet/damp, but once hair is dry - I seem to do better with the brush. :shrug:

jesamyn
April 28th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I comb and finger-comb. I just got a horn comb too, so I'm pleased to have a new toy. :)

KittyCat
July 3rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
I'm not patient enough for fingercombing. Instead I detangle my hair with a seamless widetoothed comb. This works very well and fast:).

Radulfr
July 3rd, 2008, 09:13 AM
Combing and finger-combing for me. Brushing just won't work unless my hair is all de-tangled and combed out anyway- so there's no point of then brushing.

janaana
July 3rd, 2008, 11:55 AM
I use a brush with rubber tipped metal bristles set into a cushioned base to detangle dry hair; if I try to use a comb, even one that's not plastic, I get a lot of static and my hair just tangles more but the brush seems to ease the tangles apart gently as the bristles sink back in the cushion rather than tearing through it and it seems to reduce the static considerably. I only brush my hair if it feels tangly. If it's not, I just run my fingers through.

I also have a set of Matador saw cut combs, which I love, and use the wide toothed ones for detangling my hair wet with conditioner and the fine toothed one occasionally for styling or during my twice yearly haircut.

Sceleste
July 3rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
I comb and brush.

I use both plastic brush and a BBB. The plastic one only gets used when my hair is greasy and I'm using a brush to gather hair on a pony and sort of smoothing it to look less greasy. I use a BBB to spread sebum once or twice a week.

I use a wide tooth wooden comb for detangling. Finger combing doesn't do the trick for me - my hair gets tangled easily and I can't get it detangled with only fingers. I usually finger comb only after I've done a scalp massage.

Loreyanne_H
July 4th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I brush (both with a boar bristle brush and a wooden brush) and comb with a wooden comb. I also have a plastic comb, takena as souvenir in a hotel in Portugal that I use as "brus's comb", to keep it clean.

Gladtobemom
July 4th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Most of the time I comb, but just before a water wash, I use a Boar Bristle brush to get out all the shed hairs.

I also use a boar bristle brush after using Nanny's Airing Powder.

Before I brush, I make sure I've gotten out all the tangles really well first.

julya
July 4th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I usually comb, but if I am feeling frustrated with my hair I use a faux Denman style brush, made by Bass. I have a seamless plastic comb, which is my favorite, and a couple of different wooden combs.

Belisama
July 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I only comb except on the occasions I remember to put coconut oil on my ends, then I take my BBB to them, but that's it. The rest of my hair only is touched with a natural material comb.

SweetPea88
July 4th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Comb only here!

I use a wooden comb at night when I oil and sometimes in the morning if I braid my hair. The other times I just fingercomb, especially if my hair is wet/drying. I don't want to mess up the waves and cause frizz.

mrs carol
July 4th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I comb only too.

Boon
July 5th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I do finger comb, comb and brush. Using a boar britsle brush and a widetoothed wooden comb. I prefer to take out tangles with my fingers.

AerisDawn
July 5th, 2008, 04:33 AM
I use a wide tooth comb in the shower to work my conditioner through and I use a brush after my hair is dry. Brushing seems to help with my shedding problem

cindy58
July 5th, 2008, 05:26 AM
I chose brush and comb, but brushing for me is occasional, rather than daily.

crystal_89
July 5th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I usually only comb, except for when I lose my comb and just use my fingers. I haven't used a brush for nearly two years and my hair is a lot less frizzy than what it was when I did.

sexyjacksparrow
July 10th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I do both. I use a MP seamless comb when my hair is wet and a Tangle Teezer brush when it's dry.

Kerry xx

Darkhorse1
July 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Is it wrong to say some days I don't even run either through my hair? We barn gals aren't too vain when it comes to hair and heading to the barn. I just finger comb it, put it back and viola. Largely due to the fact it'll be going up into a helmet or hat or braid. ;)

But, outside of everything else, I do comb/brush. I recently purchased a boar bristle brush, and love how it's helping keep my hair from being too poofy. I tend to resemble a chia pet after a wash, and last night, my hair was huge! I used the boar brush and it was amazing!! I always use my wide tooth comb to comb it out after washing and let it air dry.

Fencai
July 10th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I do both, but am a predominant comber.
I need a new one though. My "nice" one that I bought from Whole Foods is chipping after only a couple of weeks. *am not happy*

aprilmay
July 14th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I can't go without brushing every day. I can make do with one morning brushing if my hair is up all day otherwise it gets tangled and I am not trying for dreds.

Gwaihiril
July 14th, 2008, 09:05 PM
So, since I posted way back at the beginning of this thread, I've been doing comb only, and it's working great. I mainly use a wide tooth wooden comb from the Body Shop to detangle and then a narrow tooth wooden comb I picked up somewhere to smooth out small sections. I have indeed become as quick at combing my hair as I was at brushing it and I definitely have less split ends. I'm really glad this thread was started!

aprilmay
July 18th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I have said this in other threads, but her it goes again! I pull the bristles out of brushes with my hair, I broke teeth off my wooden medium tooth comb, and I broke a wide tooth "sturdy" plastic comb in half. I have a super thick and wide toothed plastic comb that I use on my clean, wet, and conditioned hair. I have several hair brushes and one of my favorites is a Brynel that a friend introduced me to over 15 years ago. I think it might be a version of a dog brush.

Exodus
July 19th, 2008, 03:40 AM
I finger comb, or use a wooden brush. But I use the brush very seldom. If I want to use the bursh I have to find it first, and if I have to search for more than a couple of minutes, I usually don't bother, I'm too lazy. So, mostly finger combing in the shower when I wash my hair, and when my hair I usually don't do anything.

But no combs for anythings else than parting, my hair hates combs.

Chamomilemaiden
July 19th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I use wooden comb from The Body shop, it´s probably the gentlest comb I´ve had. I stopped brushing because my hair would get stuck in the brushes and pull them.

nutsenmai
July 19th, 2008, 04:26 AM
I really want to go comb only, and I almost am except I brush my hair forward to wash it in the shower. I also brush it once after it's dry. I carry a comb in my purse for when I'm out, a brush is too bulky and I wouldn't want to ruin a nice MP brush.

If I can figure out a new strategy for washing my hair without brushing it forward then I'll be set! I think I'll try just leaving it in the back and wash my scalp only (like I should be doing), letting the rinse take care of the rest, and see how that goes.

The main reason I brush it forward is that I had short hair as a kid and I would wash my hair in the sink like my mom did. Never got away that I guess. It's probably fine for short hair, but damaging for longer hair (to rearrange it all the time)?

DecafJane
July 21st, 2008, 10:28 PM
I use a brush when I want a scalp massage, but usually only comb. Soon I'll only comb and massage my scalp with my fingers, as the brush won't cope with my hair when it gets closer to APL. :D

aprilmay
July 22nd, 2008, 12:16 AM
Using a brush feels sooo good when your scalp wants attention. I find myself scratching and rubbing my scalp after my hair has been pulled back all day and I finally let it down.

ZaBasDa
July 22nd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Brushes kill my curls and combs are just a slower death. So I only finger-comb. Very, very ,very rarely will a comb touch my hair.

VanillaTresses
July 22nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
I voted "I brush and comb," but the truth is that I mostly comb and rarely brush. I will only comb my hair with a wide toothed comb when it is wet, and mostly for styles I will only comb. But when I am doing a style such as a "high ponytail" or something similar then I will break out the brush. What scares me about brushing is that I seem to lose/shed a lot more hairs when I am doing that. After reading this thread I am considering "hiding" my brush and testing out comb-only.

CaityBear
July 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
I comb now only, with the exception of a BBB every now and then.

Chromis
July 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
I have no luck with finger combing and my wooden comb alone still leaves my scalp frizzy. So my method is more: comb/fingercomb tangles out gently, then comb it all the way through then boar bristle brush the scalp down to about ear and nape level to smooth it. The rest is normally going in an updo anyhow and I notice more breakage if I brush the length.

Marcipangris
July 23rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
I like to use a BBB because it makes my hair really floofy, and it feels good. I might change to combing when my hair actually gets long...

DotDotDot
July 23rd, 2008, 10:39 AM
I only fingercomb. See the Curlies Brush Your Hair thread for why. :lol:

Shanarana
July 23rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
I only use a comb, either wooden or wide tooth with no seems. There is nothing more distressing for me than seeing hair on a brush.

emeraldfaery
July 23rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
I haven't brushed or combed my hair more than a handful to times in 6 months. For some reason my hair just seems to stay tangle free. I do some finger combing when putting it into updos and also in the shower while conditioning. That's it!

Takethevitamin
July 24th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Fingers, combs, and an occasional brushing.

Neen
July 26th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I gave up brushing a few months ago because somehow it made my hair frizz and tangle. Now I only use my fingers and a handcrafted widetoothed wooden comb once or twice a day when my hair is dry.

bohemian
July 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM
If I comb my hair at all I use my fingers. In fact I only own one brush and I have no idea where it is! ;)
It seems to work for me. Im afraid of damaging my hair with brushing. I just massage my scalp weekly to make up for any lack of stimuli my scalp may need.

bugeyedmonster2
July 27th, 2008, 05:46 PM

Have you tried buying from Ric the Combmaker? He's got some pretty combs. A real craftsman and at least you can be sure the comb isn't made by child labor.

www.combmaker.com

(^_^)/
BEM

bugeyedmonster2
July 27th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I comb my hair when it is freshly washed and brush 2-3 times a day. I broke a wide tooth comb in half and my other wide tooth comb I broke one of the thick end tines off. Both of these are plastic. I also pull the bristles out of my brush and they fly around my bathroom. I have a wooden comb that was supposed to wide toothed, but I can't use it. Advice appreciated!

I dub thee SUPERHAIR! Hair that conquers combs and brushes everywhere! Hope its not got a plan to take over the world and become an Evil Overlord.

Sorry, no advice... hope someone else can help.

(^_^)/
BEM

dor3girl
July 27th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Cheese is good--but I don't know if it would work for combing hair--maybe if it were carved parmesan?

zen_oven
July 27th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Some of both. I comb more than I brush as my wavy/curly hair seems to look better with combing. I do have a natural bristle brush that I use, mostly in the evening to help distribute the hair oils.

ChatoyantLocks
July 29th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I only use a brush, but it is one with sturdy wide spaced bristles. I can't imagine trying to get a standard bristle brush through my hair!

Bene
August 10th, 2008, 10:02 PM
since i've started lurking here, i've successfully made the transition to comb only. i have less breakage and shed less. i've learned that my hair just doesn't like brushes.

bkitty09
August 13th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I've been only combing lately, but I think I will have to start brushing some more. I can't stand my shedding in the shower, so I hope brushing before will help that.

EvaSimone
August 13th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I have a really wide bristle brush that has wooden bristles so it isn't your typical brush but it's what I use. I also use a BBB for updos.

Most of the time I finger comb but when I do detangle it's with my wooden brush.

Elanor
August 18th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I finger comb when my hair is wet, but comb when it's dry. I also have a BBB but I don't use it too often.

D-eath
August 18th, 2008, 03:20 AM
I'm currently using a wild pig boar brush cause with a wooden comb there's no chance to detangle my hair nests. But I'm up to get rid of the brush the time I get rid of my nesty problem. :/

chrissy-b
August 21st, 2008, 11:45 AM
I comb only when I really need too, usually after I've washed when my hair is still damp. I brush to style and before I wash.

Little_Bird
August 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
I spent the first 2 years of my growing journey brushing my hair, combing when wet. This was pre LHC tough. After LHC I only use a wide toothed comb. I have wavy hair, so the brush breaks my hair, gets it frizzed and looking like a mess...

The comb is one of my hair's best friends! :flower:

cani
August 24th, 2008, 06:20 AM
comb only here.

socks
August 25th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I sometimes use a brush to smooth down the top of my hair before making an updo, but I usually just spend a couple minutes every other day or so finger-combing.

RetroKitten
September 18th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I have used the wood brush by The Body Shop since a year now, but I think it makes my hair break. A few days ago I got myself the comb by The Body Shop. I hope I will use this one from now on and only brush occasionally.

There will be a lot of dust on my scalp from now on. Anyone else with this problem?

1nuitblanche
September 18th, 2008, 04:22 PM
In the poll, I said that I brush and I comb, but I don't do either of these every day. I don't even think I brush once a week, and mostly I only use the comb to get a nice part if I'm wearing one and my hair didn't fall opportunly into place. So "nothing" would be what I do the majority of the time.

winter_star
September 19th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I brush, comb and finger comb. I comb when I have too many frizzes, and finger comb when I have braid waves and don't want to end up looking like a poodle. Other than that I just brush.

ladyshannonanne
September 19th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I hates 'em! I hates 'em both! Combs and brushes make my fine, wavy hair a frizz-tacular mess.

aprilmay
September 19th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Brushes are a necessity for me. I need to brush at least twice a day to keep my hair from becoming a snarled mess. I use sturdy wide tooth combs for my clean wet hair, but I have broken several of these with my thick mass of hair.

Kaeri
September 19th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I've been trying to use just a wide toothed wooden comb these last couple of weeks but my hair never feels properly untangled, today I've bought myself a boar bristle brush and hopefully it'll feel a bit more like my hair again. I'll probably still try to mainly comb but i'll definatly be brushing it just once its dry after washing.

Angharad
August 21st, 2009, 12:37 PM
I brush with the tangle teezer brush; it is oooh so great for untangling that I could never return to a normal brush.

I also comb with a very wide toothed plastic Timotei-comb because brushing gives my hair a too bushy and wild effect. After tangle teezling I use the comb to flatten my hair and I take my comb with me for flattening/untangling at work or whatever.

Flynn
August 21st, 2009, 09:18 PM
I brush if I have really anything serious in the way of tangles. I find a brush with flexible bristles to be much kinder to my hair than a comb. I comb when it is less tangled but needs a little detangling and smoothing out, because it preserves the wave pattern better.

Locksmith
August 22nd, 2009, 10:52 AM
I swapped to comb a while ago, and I've noticed such a difference - so much less damage!

Laylah
August 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Comb only, because:
-brushing takes forever
-a brush can't part the hair
-brushes get hair/lint/gunk caught in them, ew!
-brushes take more time to clean and dry
-brushes make my roots greasy and my length puffy
-BBB is made from pigs and similar nylon brushes won't go "through" my hair, they only slide on the top

combs are the best :)

Madonna-Fan
August 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Every day I comb my hair once.
But when it starts to get oily I brush it to disperse the sebum.

Fractalsofhair
August 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
I only comb while wet(thanks LHC!!!), but I do brush when dry. I have fairly straight hair, so that helps me and the brushing distributes oil.

Naturel
August 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Brush and comb. I use wooden brush from whole food store to detangle. The comb doesn't do it for my hair :?

lydiajo
August 24th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I voted that I only finger comb. My choice wasn't there. I do brush on occasion.

Copasetic
August 24th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I only comb, because I have curly hair and I find brushes break up the curls too much. I also only comb when my hair is wet and full of conditioner.

tinybabys
August 24th, 2009, 12:38 PM
i did not realize that brushing caused so much damage. I will have to go to combing my hair

Maddy25
August 24th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I detangle my wet hair with a comb, and then run a brush through it very carefully to smooth it out, otherwise it will dry super frizzy.

Lady Mary
August 24th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I use a wide toothed comb for the longer hair and a normal comb for the fringe. The brush is obsolete. :laugh:

curls2grow
August 24th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I only comb my hair when it's wet. I finger comb when dry. Brushing definitely snapped my hair mid-strand, and I didn't realize that until I gave up brushing.

JamieLeigh
August 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I use a wooden wide-tooth comb to detangle, and finger-comb on every other occasion (as in, when it's windy out, my hair is loose, and I'd like to settle it down). I only use my BBB to smooth out the top and sides when I'm wearing an updo.

harpyangel
August 26th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I am comb only, love my Body Shop wooden comb :) Only time it's slightly annoying is when my hair is freshly washed, it takes so long to comb through!

Harpyangel xxx