PDA

View Full Version : Trim Advice

Madame J
April 30th, 2009, 11:50 AM
So I've been looking at my avatar photo and decided that I don't like the looks of the ends of my hair. It's not damaged, but it looks scraggly and uneven because I'm growing out a style that was heavily layered and I haven't had any layers re-cut in over 6 months. So I'm going to my stylist a week from Saturday and I want to ask him to cut an even hemline and do some light (LIGHT!) layering to blend in the old stuff. My only question is what shape hemline do people think would look good with my thick, dark hair? It will probably evolve as my hair gets longer, but with shoulder-length, 1b/c/M/ii hair, as per my avatar pic, what shape hem would you get? Thanks.

wackyredtangles
April 30th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I think a slight U shaped hemline looks great on everyone. I think a heavy angle looks good on very straight hair. Mostly its your hair, and you keep it how you like it. =)

Silver Strands
April 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM
You could pull the sides and top into a half-up to disguise the layers.

Also if your hair reaches your collarbone you can part it in the middle and bring it forward
to trim yourself using your collarbone as a guide.
I did this until I had 1 layer left using "Feyes" method.

If you have them cut layers for you again, they may really cut them slowing down your progress.
I'm afraid the scragglies are the ring of fire we all must pass through on our way to long hair.

Good Luck

Forever_Sophie
April 30th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Another vote for the U hemline :)

Pixna
April 30th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Count me in as a vote for the U hemline as well!

kirky
April 30th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I'm going to go against the first two votes, and say a straight across blunt cut! They're my favourite!

KajiKodomo
April 30th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I like U-shaped hemlines! :D

amaiaisabella
April 30th, 2009, 12:59 PM
If you have them cut layers for you again, they may really cut them slowing down your progress.

I really agree with Silver Strands. Why do you want to cut in more layers when your old ones are giving you such difficulty? I cut 1/2 an inch every month or so when I was growing out my layers, and that helped a lot. I had a lot of damage, so this took care of that as well. You may not want to cut as much depending on the condition of your hair (more like 1/4 inch) but I honestly wouldn't touch the layers until they get longer. Just my $0.02, take it for what it's worth :)

Madame J
April 30th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hmmm... sounds like I can combine advices and get no new layers, with a U-shaped hemline to try to incorporate the old ones into the profile. And I was already planning on biting the bullet and getting an inch taken off since my hair grows super-fast in the summer. Thanks for all the helpful advice!

... that said, I do have a week until my appointment, so if people want to keep responding, I'll keep obsessing about my hair as long as possible :D

Kyannah
April 30th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I would be wary of having more layers cut in as the hairdressers idea of light layering may be very different to yours.

As regards the hemline I vote for straight across or U shaped.

Samikha
April 30th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I'd do a gentle U, and if you want to trim the layers ask her to cut as little as possible of them. That'll make it look better for now, and also will make it easier to cut out the layers later on, if that's what you want.

Tap Dancer
April 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM
When my shortest layers were jaw length, I cut it all off into a bob. While it wasn't my most flattering look (I look better when my hair is between chin and shoulder length), I was happy not to have those pesky layers anymore. That was 5 months ago; my hair is just below my shoulders now.

If you can't handle losing that much length, trim the bottom to get a nice hemline and leave the layers alone. Keep trimming the bottom regularly until your layers are gone. Blending might be a good idea, but sometimes it can backfire...especially if your goal is to be free of layers.

Pixna
April 30th, 2009, 02:51 PM
If you can't handle losing that much length, trim the bottom to get a nice hemline and leave the layers alone. Keep trimming the bottom regularly until your layers are gone. Blending might be a good idea, but sometimes it can backfire...especially if your goal is to be free of layers.

I completely agree. I think blending has a greater chance of backfiring and causing further problems. If your goal is to get rid of layers, just do mini-trims on the hemline and the layers will be gone before you know it. (I am speaking as someone who has been growing out a pixie and is now at all one length, almost to my shoulders.)

a12345
May 1st, 2009, 01:08 AM
Another vote for a u hemline! I personally like it because my hair seems to naturally gravitate towards that shape, so its easy to maintain, and also the easiest shape for me to self trim. I would also suggest that you don't get anything relayered - in my experience this just means they cut hairs that weren't layered originally. Good luck!

Madame J
May 9th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Just wanted to post an update, since I got my trim today. One of the reasons I love my hairdresser is that he's really easy to talk to, and was totally open to only trimming an inch and making sure the hemline was gently U-shaped. Since he did the trim so well, I didn't make a fuss about him blowdrying my hair with products, and now it's all sleek and shiny.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3046&pictureid=38870

florenonite
May 9th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Just wanted to post an update, since I got my trim today. One of the reasons I love my hairdresser is that he's really easy to talk to, and was totally open to only trimming an inch and making sure the hemline was gently U-shaped. Since he did the trim so well, I didn't make a fuss about him blowdrying my hair with products, and now it's all sleek and shiny.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3046&pictureid=38870

Ooh, pretty! I was looking at your album, and between this picture and one from last month there doesn't look like any length difference at all, which is great :)

Pixna
May 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Turned out GREAT, Madame J!!! Looks like he did exactly what you wanted (gentle U) and your hair does look sleek and shiny!