PDA

View Full Version : Hair perfumes

tooqute2nv
April 30th, 2009, 10:48 AM
So, I was gonna start this in the Arab haircare section, but though maybe it could be broader...

I never really thought about it much, because a lot of commercial shampoos have scents and stuff, so "perfuming" the hair is sorta already done. But I know that this is done in the Middle East (Not so sure about other places, but I'm sure they do elsewhere..India?S&E Asia?), and I was wondering if anyone here does this (routinely?), or not...

Sooo does anyone use anything special to perfume their hair (daily/weekly/mo./ w/ henna-ings/etc.), to make it smell nice for themselves (or someone else ;)), and if you do, what do you use?? :blossom:

Aisha25
April 30th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Yes in India it is used but mainly back in older days. They would do rock incsense you know the pure one? and take the hair and make it dry with the smoke from the inscense. beautiful smell mmm.

If you like to know they sell hair perfume at desert boutique or you can do what I do and mix itr with some evoo and smear it over the hair:)

fishwich
April 30th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I use BPAL (Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab) perfume oil just on the ends and sometimes on the nape and/or temples. The scents with dragon's blood can get a little sticky so I avoid those.

Lately my hair's mostly been smelling like blueberry pie.

Snowball
April 30th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I mist my hair with rose or orange blossoms water and sometimes use monoi oil. I add geranium and/or ylang ylang eo to henna paste.

Another possibility is to add eo to acv or white vinegar rinse.

Heidi_234
April 30th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Some use EOs for scent. I know one or two of those I mixed into my blend leaves really great sweet scent. I could use it for the scent alone heh :p

Tap Dancer
April 30th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I like to spritz my hair with rose water sometimes. The smell fades quickly, though. :(

LILBERT
April 30th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Im trying to make my own hair scent with a combination of eos mixed in some oil. love sandlewood, jasmine and lavender. havent quite got the proportions right though :p

Thenin
April 30th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I like to put perfume into my hair. Usually, if I do this, I mix an essential oil into my shampoo/conditioner, or I have literally just sprayed normal perfume into my hair before.

My favorites have to be the EOs. I use Tea Tree oil in the summer, because it has a nice scent and the added bonus of repeling bugs. (yippee!) I also use Lavender sometimes as a light scent just because I like it.

Eden Iris
April 30th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I add either BPAL or sandalwood (fragrance not EO) oil to my vinegar rinse, about five drops. My favorite BPAL for this purpose is Kathmandu.

I add clove powder to my henna paste (after dye release, otherwise the brown cloves mask it), and it lingers for weeks every time I get my hair wet.

GeoJ
April 30th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Yes in India it is used but mainly back in older days. They would do rock incsense you know the pure one? and take the hair and make it dry with the smoke from the inscense. beautiful smell mmm.

I saw that in an Indian movie and I was considering trying it. :)

Tap Dancer
April 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM
My favorites have to be the EOs. I use Tea Tree oil in the summer, because it has a nice scent and the added bonus of repeling bugs. (yippee!) I also use Lavender sometimes as a light scent just because I like it.

By the way, Lavender is great on bug bites. Takes the itch out right away. [/hijack]

Aisha25
April 30th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I saw that in an Indian movie and I was considering trying it. :)
Must have been devdas??:D That movie has many traditional things in it:D

chotee
May 1st, 2009, 11:09 PM

My cousins with long hair used to do it when i was young and i used to look at them admiring. They keep a basket on the top of the smoke and spread their hair over the basket. I use the monoi oil from body shop for the fragrance sometimes. It smells heavenly....

Aisha25
May 1st, 2009, 11:48 PM
My cousins with long hair used to do it when i was young and i used to look at them admiring. They keep a basket on the top of the smoke and spread their hair over the basket. I use the monoi oil from body shop for the fragrance sometimes. It smells heavenly....
Oooo very nice. I wish I can do this but it takes so much time and patience

Natalia
May 2nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
Oh just the thread i ve been looking for! Since i go so long between washes ive been looking for something hair safe to make myself smell less musky :p. If anyone would like to share their blends id be very greateful :) Im hoping to do some EO's in a mister but im not sure what a good base would be besides water. Maybe glycerine? Anything i can mix with oil would also be good. I look forward to reading this one :D

Heidi_234
May 2nd, 2009, 12:33 AM
Natalia, some EOs are 100% safe for skin, that is no need to diluted them. In any case you could dilute few drops in a light carrier oil and use it. Use a dab behind the ear will give enough scent, so a little bit goes a long way.

I think I figured out which EO gave me that heavenly scent. It's either Rosemary or Lemon! It is foresty at first but then it turns light and flowery. Or maybe the combination of both? :confused:
This is one blend I have:

Hair Care Oil:
Sweet Almond oil, Rosemary oil, Jojoba oil, Lemon oil, Avocado oil, Wheat Germ oil, Calendula oil, Tocopheryl Acentate (Vitamin E).

And this is another:

Sea Buckthorn oil, Jojoba oil ,Wheat Germ seed oil, Grape seed oil, herb-infused EVOO, Lavender EO, Thyme EO, Rosemary EO, Sage EO, Tea Tree EO, Lemon EO, Ylang-Ylang EO

Both got this scent.

Natalia
May 2nd, 2009, 12:36 AM
Natalia, some EOs are 100% safe for skin, that is no need to diluted them. In any case you could dilute few drops in a light carrier oil and use it. Use a dab behind the ear will give enough scent, so a little bit goes a long way.

I think I figured out which EO gave me that heavenly scent. It's either Rosemary or Lemon! It is foresty at first but then it turns light and flowery. Or maybe the combination of both? :confused:
This is one blend I have:

And this is another:

Both got this scent.

Oh Heidi! Those sound heavenly!!! I adore rosemary :D thank you for sharing <3

Snowball
May 2nd, 2009, 05:54 AM
I sometimes use this blend recipe search to create eo blends:

http://www.rainbowmeadow.com/infocenter/calc_eoblend/blendselect.php

I mostly use it for inspiration and vary suggested blends.

Natalia
May 2nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
I sometimes use this blend recipe search to create eo blends:

http://www.rainbowmeadow.com/infocenter/calc_eoblend/blendselect.php

I mostly use it for inspiration and vary suggested blends.

Thanks snowball! Great site very good for inspiration <3

lailmil
May 3rd, 2009, 10:46 AM
I usually perfume my hair with eo or oil infuses, but now I want to try the way Aisha and chotee talk about!It seems like an ancestral ritual, I love this kind of things!!

Angharad
May 4th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Mmm, nice topic!

I usually mix amber, patchouli and lotusoil as a perfum and my hands still smell after rubbing it over my body after a shower; I take a bit of argan- or jojobaoil and rub it through my hands and put it on my hair....it smells lovely!

The "incense smoke-perfume" I sometimes use when I have ehmm...romantic things in mind (it puts me in an entirely different mood from the daily routine), so it is a special thing for a special evening with my hubby!!

I saw "the incense-ritual" in the movie Kama sutra ( a tale of love from the director Mira Nair) and a Tunesien movie called Halfaouine.

Also nice is a little drop of Body Shop white musk-oil mixed in some hairoil; I use this since I was sixteen years old and the scent never gets boring.

LutraLutra
May 4th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I've just tried some Anita Grant vanilla and almond oil, and that makes my hair smell yummy. Sweet, but not to sugary. Mmmm....

I love the sound of holding ones hair over incense, I bet that smells amazing.

jahof45
May 4th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I use a Musk Oil perfume at my temples and nape but don't apply scent directly to my hair. Some have a higher level of alcohol contents and can be drying.

lailmil
May 5th, 2009, 10:45 AM
just a question: this incense method works on dry or wet hair?

GeoJ
May 5th, 2009, 10:56 AM

I saw Devdas years ago (beautiful hair in it) but I forgot about that part. I saw hair perfuming by incense more recently in Jodha Akbar.

Aisha25
May 5th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Ah yes that one too. I love that movie so much:cloud9:

Angharad
May 5th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Lailmil: I use the incense method on wet hair.

Fractalsofhair
May 5th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I like to use a dab of essential oils (vanilia absolute and lemon essential) mixed with some coconut oil as a lotion and I usually run my hands thru my hair once I'm done putting the lotion on my body. The smell doesn't last forever, but it does last for a few hours! :)

lailmil
May 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
thankyou Angharad :)

milamaas
May 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I like to use Aubrey Organics Primrose Tangle-Go Hair Conditioner, Lusterizer and Styling Spray as a hair perfume. It is very strongly scented so a spray or two is all that is needed. It smells very much like Indian Rose and Jasmine, Plus it is conditioning which is nice as well!

Lile
May 7th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I use some calendula oil on my ends,and recently realised that I love the smell!
Since I started to use only herbal products I hate fake artificial scents,and like everything very herbal:henna,seaweed,calendula,neem,EVO,Coconut and all the others with strong weedy smell.
Strange transformation though...:p

zombi
May 7th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Another BPAL user here. I'll put it on the temples or sometimes run the end of an imp wand through some of my hair. I like to use Nosferatu or Dorian for this.

lynnala
May 8th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I like to use sweet orange EO on my hair. I use it as kind of a gloss, and I love the scent. I love the idea of getting the scent of incense into my hair! I'm going to try that.

tooqute2nv
May 11th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Wow, so many great ideas!!! Also, Aisha, I definitely started looking for itr to use for my hair right after reading your post! :cheese:

So, has anyone actually tried this incense method (lately), willing to post pics, or describe in further detail, so I (we?) who haven't seen it done in a movie can have a better visual??? :D

Magdalene
May 11th, 2009, 08:04 PM
to those using rock incense- doesn't the smoke from the charcoal dull your hair? I tried it with not great results, but it might just be me.

Aisha25
May 12th, 2009, 03:01 PM
It has to be the pure rock incense from arabia. When I do it my hairs smells like the bakhoor and it lasts all week I love it.

All you have to do is put the hair over the smoke until it dries, or you can move the hair above the smoke when there dry it will catch the smell as well.

It is so time consuming and tiring and thats why its done only for special occasions. I have some here with me but my sister has the camera. When I get it back I can take pics but its so simple to do.

Magdalene
May 12th, 2009, 03:22 PM
the charcoal itself seems to dull my hair no matter what type of rock incense I use :(

Now, If I could find a charcoal that didn't smoke...

Aisha25
May 12th, 2009, 03:25 PM
You mean the little black discs that the rock incense goes on???

If your talking about those they arent supposed to smoke. Heres a picture of what we use http://www.quickbizsites.com/desertboutique/inc/sdetail/861 light them then wait till glowing then put the rock on top of that.

Better pic http://www.quickbizsites.com/desertboutique/inc/sdetail/3013

violetflower
May 12th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I love the sound of the incense in the hair! I thought about buying the Angel hair mist, but the main ingredient is alcohol!!! Hmmm I didn't bother with that, I need to dry my hair out!! There are some great ideas here, I am going to have to experiment! :)

RetroKitten
May 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Is there something like an "Incense FAQ"? I would love to try this but there are so many questions I have....

And a question for the people using BPAL in their hair: aren't their POs alocohol - based?

Thinthondiel
May 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I bought an oil blend yesterday, which smells like sandalwood and rose...
I really liked the smell when I smelled the "tester" in the store, and my hair really likes the oil, but when I put it on, I find the sandalwood smell to be a little overwhelming. It fades after a while though (either that or I just get used to it), so I don't mind the smell. But I'm wondering... what do you guys think other people think of that smell? I usually don't care too much about what other people think of me, but there's just something that irks me about the thought of people thinking I smell weird. And it's not like people around here usually smell like sandalwood (or anything "incense-y" for that matter), so I guess there's a distinct possibility they might.

Maybe I'll just dilute it with some other oil...

Natalia
May 30th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I bought an oil blend yesterday, which smells like sandalwood and rose...
I really liked the smell when I smelled the "tester" in the store, and my hair really likes the oil, but when I put it on, I find the sandalwood smell to be a little overwhelming. It fades after a while though (either that or I just get used to it), so I don't mind the smell. But I'm wondering... what do you guys think other people think of that smell? I usually don't care too much about what other people think of me, but there's just something that irks me about the thought of people thinking I smell weird. And it's not like people around here usually smell like sandalwood (or anything "incense-y" for that matter), so I guess there's a distinct possibility they might.

Maybe I'll just dilute it with some other oil...

I dont see a probem with it. Persoanlly sandelwood isnt my favorite and it tends to trigger my asthma so i prefer ylang ylang but as long as it isnt hugely overpowering it souldnt be an issue. Maybe just ask someone next time you walk in a room? Lol preferably someone youve met before :p. That should be sufficient i would think

hennaphile
May 31st, 2009, 12:38 AM
I've found Aubrey's primrose spray to be like perfume:)

nowxisxforever
May 31st, 2009, 06:25 PM
And a question for the people using BPAL in their hair: aren't their POs alocohol - based?

I don't believe so. About all I can find is the following, though:

"What is the difference between a perfume and a perfume oil?
The following is a rough guide to the differences between the strength categories of scents --
Eau fraiche: 3% or less perfume oil.
Eau de cologne: 2 - 5% perfume oil.
Eau de toilette: 4 - 10% perfume oil.
Eau de parfum: 8 - 15% perfume oil.
Perfume: 15 - 25% perfume oil.
Perfume oil: 15 - 80% perfume oil.

Black Phoenix uses no fillers, and no garbage."

Phalaenopsis
March 10th, 2017, 03:07 AM
I have been considering the hair perfume version of my favourite perfume. I was actually surprised it specifically had a perfume version for the hair (the lady at the counter said it was made so it wouldn't dry out the hair like a regular perfume would with alcohol). In the past I had very strong smelling conditioners, so I wouldn't have considered it. But since a lot of great products became discontinued, this seems like something nice to try!

Aredhel
March 10th, 2017, 05:29 AM
I actually only use perfume oil for all purposes. I absolutely love the scents from Etsy shop SaraWen. My main ones I get from there are Elf Queen, I Am Fire and Misty Journeys. After I'm done applying perfume to my neck and wrists I always rub some on my hands and run it through my hair. It smells amazing! :)

Dixie Derelict
August 31st, 2017, 01:51 AM
I see that this is an old thread; but I have just discovered chandan, and I have to share! Chandan is India Indian sandalwood powder. It is sold in 100 gram packs (like herb wash powders) for $1.69. I love the exotic smell.

C_Bookworm
August 31st, 2017, 04:39 PM
The only commercial hair perfume I have is Taylor by Taylor Swift. I caught it on sale for $4 at TJ Maxx, so I decided to take a chance on it. I will give it props for lasting power (the actual perfume fades before the hair perfume does) and it doesn't seem to turn. The scent when I spray it is the scent I smell hours later.

That said, it's too heavy and oily for my hair. When I use it, my hair feels limp and dirty. The smell of Taylor isn't my favorite...I like the powdery note, but the oversweet vanilla kills it for me. I actually have had better results with regular perfume.

My current favorites are from the Demeter Library line. They're very linear, so I can layer to find the exact scent I want. A couple common combos I use are Linen+Bulgarian Rose+Orange blossom (to me, I picture Regency England), Saguaro cactus+Salt air+Dirt (Arizona desert), and Petrichor+Earthworm+Moschino's I Love Love (stormy orange orchard).

A few other commercial lines that stick really well to my hair: Thierry Mugler, Issey Miyake, and Calvin Klein.

papillon
September 4th, 2017, 12:35 AM
Aveda recently released pure-fume hair mists with three different scents.

http://www.aveda.com/hair-care/pure-fume-hair-mists

Ilax
September 20th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Fragranced Oil I know those of Kahdi rose that I took on ebay or those Chogan who brought me a supplier in my store.
I found myself well with both of them. Kadhi has more natural fragrances while those Chogan have famous perfume reproductions.

Of Khadi I tried this mixed with coconut oil

http://www.khadinatural.com/aroma-therapy/essential-oils/rose-oil.html

and I found myself well.
Those who sell in the store try to get you a translation because the site is in italian. But I would not like to advertise here. It's just to bring an experience on those I've tried;)

http://www.ilariabiocare.it/products/olio-di-mandorle-dolci-con-varie-fragranze-100ml/

Then I had tried one of the Vatika, taken on SpicesofIndia but I have to come home and tell you why I do not remember the name. I look like Vatican Cactus if I'm not mistaken. It smelled so much.

Miruku
September 20th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Gosh, I never thought to use one of my favorite perfume oils on my hair, but now it sounds like a no-brainer! I love Aphrodesia from Auric Blends so, so much and I love rolling a swipe behind my ears and on my temples.

Reading all of these posts makes me want to do both the incense method and I now have at least 10 tabs of perfumes I'm eyeing with curiosity from BPAL. One could say I'm very much enabled ;)

lunasea
September 20th, 2017, 08:54 PM
I am completely obsessed with BPTP (Black Phoenix Trading Post (https://blackphoenixtradingpost.com/)) hair glosses (they are a BPAL-related branch). Have waaay too many of them. The Incense smelling glosses are hands-down my favorites but some are not very lasting. I should post some of my least favorites on the Swap Board but I never seem to get around to it.

papillon
September 20th, 2017, 09:37 PM
I was thinking about ways to use up some perfume samples, and scenting hair seemed like a reasonable way.

I found this article about not spraying perfume in hair because the alcohol can dry out hair: https://www.bustle.com/articles/160652-heres-why-you-shouldnt-spray-perfume-in-your-hair-plus-what-to-try-instead. There's a good list of hair mist perfumes. I really like the idea of spraying a brush, and running that through hair. I think I might try it. :)

renia22
November 5th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Aveda recently released pure-fume hair mists with three different scents.

http://www.aveda.com/hair-care/pure-fume-hair-mists

I have 2 of these, Marasonna and Mihana. Both very nice, herbal scented, but kind of oily (more like a spray on serum/ oil), so I put a tiny bit on my hair and a little on my arms for the scent. Good stuff.

Rehab350
November 5th, 2017, 11:15 AM
I found great hair perfumes in bodyshop. I bought indian Jasmine scent and cherry blossom one. I love both. I use them when going out.

Ophidian
November 5th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Loving my Nightblooming Sacred Forest :crush:

QueenMab
November 6th, 2017, 12:22 AM
I recently bought some Sixteen92 hair mist & oil. Every day that I'm not washing I just dampen my hair with the mist then apply the oil, the smell is gorgeous (and matches my perfume) and it stays all day!

Siv
November 6th, 2017, 01:52 AM
I got the Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Multi-Purpose Dry Oil (for hair, face, and body) and it doesn't do much for my hair shine-wise, but it does make it smell heavenly! It's also really nice for the skin, and I usually moisturise my neck for double moisturising/fragrance effects :) :)

Kat
November 6th, 2017, 07:24 AM
So, I was gonna start this in the Arab haircare section, but though maybe it could be broader...

I never really thought about it much, because a lot of commercial shampoos have scents and stuff, so "perfuming" the hair is sorta already done. But I know that this is done in the Middle East (Not so sure about other places, but I'm sure they do elsewhere..India?S&E Asia?), and I was wondering if anyone here does this (routinely?), or not...

Sooo does anyone use anything special to perfume their hair (daily/weekly/mo./ w/ henna-ings/etc.), to make it smell nice for themselves (or someone else ;)), and if you do, what do you use?? :blossom:

If I wear essential oils, it's almost always in my hair. My hair holds the scent longer, and there also isn't as much interaction with the warmth of my skin (which I prefer for, say, lavender oil... I don't like the way it starts to smell when it's on my skin).

But the problem is that my hair holds the scent longer. My hair is pretty porous and I've had people ask me about my "perfume" even if I've washed once or twice since applying. That's why I gave up doing it-- the scent lingered in my hair and I didn't know it because I was used to the smell, and people kept saying "stop wearing perfume! I'm sensitive to it!" when I had no idea I even smelled like anything. So wearing it in hair is a blessing and a curse both. :)

The other day though I put a drop of sandalwood oil in my hair and ohhhh it was nice. Every so often when I moved or took my hair out of my braid or something I could smell it. I was a bit heartbroken to wash my hair. :)

I always wonder what other people think, though, when I go around smelling like patchouli or lavender or clove or jasmine or something, because most people are probably used to regular "perfume" smells that are so different. I don't know if people think it's good or bad. I was always afraid to do it around the guy I was seeing because I was afraid he wouldn't like it but wouldn't want to tell me...

the charcoal itself seems to dull my hair no matter what type of rock incense I use :(

Now, If I could find a charcoal that didn't smoke...

You could try the bamboo charcoal incense... it doesn't have the saltpeter that the black round discs do. http://www.essenceoftheages.com/acces/coal1.html

There's also a method of burning in which you mostly "bury" your charcoal in the ash and burn the incense atop a mica plate. I'm thinking this would allow less smoke from the actual charcoal? http://www.essenceoftheages.com/info/kodocup.html

Or you could use makko... I've not used it much and can't recall how much smoke the actual makko creates. http://www.essenceoftheages.com/acces/makko.html

Or, you could just burn the Asian style sticks that don't have the bamboo stick in the middle and are just pure incense, or coil incense or similar that doesn't have the wood in the middle.

Your last option is an electric heater instead.

For those of you who use incense... do you find you get just the nice incense smell? Or do you also get that "old incense" smell, like when the smoke has been sitting a while (say a couple hours after you've burned the incense), that isn't so pleasant?

Mirandamood
November 27th, 2017, 08:12 PM
I must my hair with lemongrass and carrot hydrolate, first it is good for hair second it gives a very refreching and positive arome! Francly soeakig I am not a big fan of perfume especially strong ones, I prefere body lotions on my skin and hydrolate on my hair.

Gem
November 30th, 2017, 07:03 PM
I am completely obsessed with BPTP (Black Phoenix Trading Post (https://blackphoenixtradingpost.com/)) hair glosses (they are a BPAL-related branch). Have waaay too many of them. The Incense smelling glosses are hands-down my favorites but some are not very lasting. I should post some of my least favorites on the Swap Board but I never seem to get around to it.

Years ago I used to put BPAL in my hair and wished for BPAL hair perfumes. I returned from a hiatus of many years and lo, hair glosses exist now :D I use them for the scent rather than any slip or shine. I'm kind of glad I don't get around to selling or swapping them away - I've intended to get rid of Frosty Silkybat for awhile, but all of a sudden this week I have a craving for it and I love it so much again.

Beeboo123
December 2nd, 2017, 02:02 PM
1mL of Tom Ford Noir de Noir in 30mL of camellia oil. Smells heavenly

Lizabeth94
December 10th, 2017, 12:37 PM
I often just add some essential oils to my hair, lilac is my current favorite, however im looking for some fruity smelling essential oils too. Not easy to find apart from citrus smelling oils, which im not fond of.:(

Lizabeth94
December 10th, 2017, 12:49 PM
I forgot to mention that this is a new habit for me, i never used to put fragrances of any kind in my hair until i got married this past year, and my hubby was distressed that my hair didn't smell like flowers/fruit/perfume ect. (I always used unscented products). He went so far as to say that my hair smelled bad! Which i found really hurtful considering that i wash my hair several times a week. Turns out he was just confused, as every other girl he knew used scented shampoo, and he had never been around someone who used no fragrance. I think he interpreted my lack of fragrance/perfume as being stinky. :rolleyes:

He grew up in a household where his mom also overshampooed her hair daily, never even bothered to use conditioner, and she has straw like dry crunchy hair. No wonder. He was quite shocked and disgusted that i didnt wash my hair every single day. It took me a while to re educate him that its not necessary to use wash every single day, and that not every girl uses scented shampoo.

young&reckless
December 11th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Nightblooming on Etsy has amazing dented hair oils. Love the hot cocoa for this time of year.

Raevyngoddess
December 17th, 2017, 10:37 PM
I like mixing a bit of sweet orange eo with coconut oil, such a nice smell.