PDA

View Full Version : things you apply to hair to extend washes

birthmarkie
April 30th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Has anyone here used talc, powder, or any other deodorizer on their hair in order to extend washes? Please share. Thanks!

enfys
April 30th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Lee Stafford's hair degreasing spray stuff, can't remember it's name: smelled nice, worked well, cost loads.

Baby talc: smelled nice, worked well, cost hardly anything.

Just make sure you rub it in really really well to not have white hair!

birthmarkie
April 30th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Lee Stafford's hair degreasing spray stuff, can't remember it's name: smelled nice, worked well, cost loads.

Baby talc: smelled nice, worked well, cost hardly anything.

Just make sure you rub it in really really well to not have white hair!

Thanks! So the baby talc didn't cause dandruff? What brand did/do you use and how do you apply (how much, by hand or directly on hair, how often)?

Simplicity
April 30th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I use corn starch. I would love to find an alternative, but haven't felt like spending the money.

LILBERT
April 30th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Yeah i just used to use talc aswell. had to rub it in really well, workes well and is cheap. havent used it long term though. just used it every now and then a few years ago when was busy working.

RancheroTheBee
April 30th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I heard some ridiculous rumour that baby powder causes cancer or something (doesn't everything) and I stopped using it for a while. Then I actually did some research and discarded the fear. It works great. I have a lavender scented one, and as long as I don't over apply it, I can go an extra day or two without shampoo.

enfys
April 30th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks! So the baby talc didn't cause dandruff? What brand did/do you use and how do you apply (how much, by hand or directly on hair, how often)?

I think the one I use is Johnsons. In a white bottle with pink writing on.

I usually shake it over my hand until my whole hand is write, turn my head upside down and rub that into the midldle, then cover my hand again, rub my palms together a bit and rub that on each side of my head. Then brush like hell until my hair's brown again. I never wear my hair down, but when it looks greasy up I do this. Probobly about 2/3 days a week. Say I washed Monday night, I'm fine Tuesday, use this on Wednesday morning, it lasts until Thursday then I wash Thursday evening. I never get dandruff, with or without talc.

If my hair is looking awful I will shake the talc directly on, but usually I do it into my palms.

enfys
April 30th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I heard some ridiculous rumour that baby powder causes cancer or something (doesn't everything) and I stopped using it for a while. Then I actually did some research and discarded the fear. It works great. I have a lavender scented one, and as long as I don't over apply it, I can go an extra day or two without shampoo.

I heard the cancer thing. My bum never got cancer when I was a baby so I think I'm doing ok. Actually I prefer my chances with talc than some shampoo chemicals.

myotislucifugus
April 30th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I heard the cancer thing. My bum never got cancer when I was a baby so I think I'm doing ok. Actually I prefer my chances with talc than some shampoo chemicals.

While I was unaware of there being any rumor of talc causing cancer, reading this post made me laugh so hard my stomach hurt.:p
It just hit a funny nerve.

Deborah
April 30th, 2009, 03:22 PM
There actually is a problem with talc, but it is inhaling the talc that can cause damage, not having it on your skin or hair.

Personally, I never add anything to my hair to keep it clean longer. I think everything you add just attracts dirt and makes it get dirtier faster. :)

Anje
April 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I seem to recall that someone on here with darker hair preferred cornmeal to talc or cornstarch, and said that it blended or brushed out better, rather than leaving white roots. Haven't tried it, though.

ETA: It was mellie, post #7 in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18462) gives her recipe.
Also interesting: This thread suggests mixing cocoa powder into your absorbent stuff (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15970) to give it a darker color.

birthmarkie
April 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Wow, thanks for the responses everyone. I actually have a body talc, a generic brand of Shower to Shower, and I would like to try that. I will have to check the ingredients first. If there's anything questionable I might just try cornstarch. Worst case scenario I will have to wash and condition well afterwards, which my hair needs anyway. I love the sheen on my hair from infrequent washing, but I'd like to freshen it up a bit so I don't put off anyone with my musk.

Anje, I would think cornmeal is far too grainy to blend into hair or to get out :confused:

Beatnik Guy
April 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Well, I wash my scalp every 3 or 4 days, but on my length I'll use jojoba and leave in conditioner during the 3 - 6 week weeks between full washes.

birthmarkie
April 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks, Beatnik Guy! I cannot wait till I can do scalp washes :D I think my hair is still too short for that.

birthmarkie
April 30th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Update -- I used CVS Shower to Bath powder on my scalp and Giovanni direct leave-in on my ends. It smells like I just showered and washed my hair! :joy: I hope it holds up. I'll try to update here on how it does.

ravenreed
April 30th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I have used cornstarch. It is merely ok. I find that to use enough to actually absorb some of the oil from my hair, I end up looking like I have dandruff and can never brush it all out. However, my hair is pretty dark. Not everyone would have that problem.

Flynn
April 30th, 2009, 11:50 PM
There actually is a problem with talc, but it is inhaling the talc that can cause damage, not having it on your skin or hair.

Any very fine particles can increase the risk of lung cancer. See asbestosis for a particularly worrying example.

Natalia
May 1st, 2009, 12:39 AM

Ok since its been a long time since i tried the cornstarch or baby powder thing i honestly cant answer the question but i had to jump in lol. Firstly im not sure about other countries but in the US i dont think there are any mass market baby powders that are made with talc anymore just various absorbant powdered that have been scented. Not sure if its been outlawed or not for that use but ive never seen any. And second the inhailant thing is certainly true but also some studies i have been reading are digging further into the possibility of affecting cervical cancer rates in women where true talc was used onthem as infants. Sorry im rambly and terribly sick with a cold so im not making much sense.....not sure why i am posting but im bored and havent seen anything but my pillow for like three days :p Night all!

Meatball Head
May 1st, 2009, 03:21 AM
I don't really make a fuss, if my hair gets dirtier than i'd like i'll spray it over in scented body mist. I'vebeenhqving an absolute duck lately since I had a massive shed a few days ago. It was exam time so I was busy having my freak out I didn't wash for 3 weeks, and now my hair feels thinner...or it might just be my imagination...*sigh*.

ravenreed
May 1st, 2009, 05:36 AM
I think that something the body can break down, like cornstarch, is more likely to cause particulate pneumonia than lung cancer, at worst. Lung cancer is from things that stick around like asbestos, talc, fiberglass...

Any very fine particles can increase the risk of lung cancer. See asbestosis for a particularly worrying example.

birthmarkie
May 1st, 2009, 10:00 AM
My powder has some talc in it and it is rated safe in the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Cosmetics Safety Database, which seems to have very strict standards. I'm not sure where the information otherwise is coming from (nor is this a call for it).

enfys
May 4th, 2009, 06:54 AM
The ingredients in my baby powder are; talc, parfum.

And that's it!

I will admit I do tend to hold my breath when I use it, just because it feels wrong to know I might breathe in particles. It warns "keep away from children's nose and mouth"

Fethenwen
May 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I've tried cornstarch, it did do some good didn't notice much difference, but I don't think I did it right. Not sure how much to use and how.

How about Lush body powders? I would love to be able to use some of that in my hair, they smell lovely.

Anlbe
May 4th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I used to use Klorane dry shampoo quite alot to extend the length between hairwashes, but now I don't bother unless I want a particularly elaborate updo. I also tried bumble and bumble hair powder once, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO very very bad for my dry hair, turned it into a a solid mat of icky hair. However managed to sell it on ebay for almost the same price I bought it so not all bad.