PDA

View Full Version : Fringe help

Periwinkle
April 30th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I recently had a side fringe cut in. Here's a picture of it. (http://i44.tinypic.com/34rd1kn.jpg)

The problem I have is that my natural part is almost in the centre and the fringe tends to clump: one clump where the part lies and another further to the right.

It isn't brilliantly cut (she parted it to one side, like it is in the picture, and cut it, then randomly parted it in the centre and cut up into it so there's a big hole) so hopefully when that's growing out it'll improve.

I use a bit of hair gel and I straighten it but I still can't solve the clumping problem.

Any ideas?

amaiaisabella
April 30th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I like it parted to the side, personally. I wear my hair parted slightly off-center, and then my bangs follow the part. I rarely have my bangs straight across my face, simply because it feels like it gets in my eyes.

Gypsygirl
April 30th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Depending on when you got the bangs cut in and how you used to wear it your hair might just need some time to adjust to your new style. It's like changing your part for more body- that method works until the roots get used to it, then you need to change your part again. Does that make sense? :o

jivete
April 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I have a problem with this too. I wear my part slightly off center and the bangs tend to separate there. It takes alot of styling to get them to cooperate and then they tend to split again.

Not much advice, but I've just tried to accept it and not fight it too much.

SheWolf
April 30th, 2009, 12:42 PM
When you have a cowlick right at the hairline, bangs will separate there, and wearing them straight down emphasizes the problem.
If your hairstylist angles the bangs slightly longer to one side, afterward with just a comb or a finger sweep you can easily keep the bangs side swept and smooth.

Periwinkle
April 30th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks :) I think I ought to clarify that my fringe is already slightly to one side: the parting is in line with the corner of my left eye and it sweeps to the right.

I wear my hair up all the time so that hair would originally have been straight back. I have succeeded in moving the part a bit (before, it would only part in the centre, but now it's parting on the left) but it hasn't helped with the clumping.

KajiKodomo
April 30th, 2009, 01:36 PM
When I part my hair to the side, I end up with the same clumping problem, even when it's cut to make sideswept bangs. I have no idea why it does that, but from the picture, it looks really good regardless. It may be that the wave in your hair is making it curl a bit like that, making it look clumped?

Samikha
April 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM
You can persuade it to do as you want if you carefully comb it into place and blowdry, then add a little product. At least that's what I do with my stubborn bangs :)

LILBERT
April 30th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I have this problem, i find parting and combing it dripping wet, especially with the roots wet, was the key! i also blow dried mine in the direction i wanted it (i.e right hand side), you can blow dry it further accross than you want it to fall becuase it will fall back slightly when dry anyway, and i spray the roots slightly to keep it there.

chelles2kids
April 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I don't see the 'clumping' you mention.
Could it be more that your hair just laid a different way before the cut?
Sometimes the hair trains itself to lay a certain way but then when you change it up a bit, it takes awhile for it to find the right spot and resettle itself, so to speak.

From the looks of it, your fringe looks really good and frames your face perfectly.

renarok
April 30th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I think your bangs look really nice. I would cut mine if they could look that good.

a12345
May 1st, 2009, 12:49 AM
I think your fringe looks very pretty! I have a similar problem to the one you are describing and am in the process of growing my fringe out a bit so that its more manageable (might grow it out entirely). What helps a bit for me is that I blow dry (:o) the fringe when it is quite wet. I use a brush to brush it first all to the left and then all to the right, back and forth several times, while I blow dry it. This seems to really reduce the clumping for me. I hope that helps!

Niphredil
May 1st, 2009, 01:14 AM
I get the clumping too when I just let it airdry (in either direction). When I gently blowdry with a brush/comb in the opposite direction of the part I intend to wear and then for the final few seconds in the correct direction it looks much more blended, no clumping. I top it off with a little bit of hairspray and then it is good to go until I wash again.

My bangs are getting longer (growing them out) and are now easier to hide between the rest of the hair so the need for blowdrying them is lessening.

Periwinkle
May 2nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
Duh! I never even thought of blowdrying...I'll try that as soon as I can find the hairdryer!

Samikha
May 2nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
That's what happens when you join the LHC. Blowdryer? What is this unknown thing? Some new Indian herb?:confused:

rhubarbarin
May 2nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
When I want to keep my hair from reverting to my natural parting, after I wash I get the desired sections soaking wet, add a little gel, carefully shape it and plaster is down the way I want it, then pin it firmly in place with bobby pins.

Once it's dry it stays really well. It's all a matter of training, if you force it to where you want it and hold it down for a while eventually the hair will start to 'grow' that way.

I also have a new fringe, which wants to be curly. I don't use a blowdryer, I bought a miniature flat iron which works great for straightening them initially and for touch-ups.

rhubarbarin
May 2nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
Oops, double post.

sibylla
May 2nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
You have to force the fringe to be where you want it to be.Buy the smallest curlers (about thumb size). Buy those old ones who stick by themselves. When you eat breakfast or put on make up, put the fringe around the curler and let it sit for 5 min.
Then take some of the now bent fringe together with another third of your fringe around the curler and let sit 5 min.

If it gets too bent,donīt worry.Comb your fringe before going out and it will stay like this all day.

Btw this didnīt hurt my hair at all when I had fringe.
Hope this helps!

Periwinkle
May 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
Rhubarbarin, are you putting the gel on your hair while it's still wet? I've been using it dry only...

Sibylla - I'll give that a go!