PDA

View Full Version : Oil and Egg Hair Treatment

ratgirldjh
April 29th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I finally figured out how I can heavily oil my hair and then use my shampoo bar.

What I have been doing lately is heavily oiling my hair with my oil choice - usually either VCO or olive oil - and then the next day I will first do a wash with egg yolks.

Then I rinse really well and do another wash with my poo bar to get rid of the lingering eggy smell and then do an ACV rinse.

This takes out all the oil and the poo bar takes out the eggy smell!

It works great! I have also tried mixing egg yolks into shikakai and it works great too. But I was still left with an eggy smell (I have a sensitive nose and can't stand eggy smells).

sometimes I will leave the egg yolk on my hair for a few minutes for more conditioning.

ChloeDharma
April 29th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I need to find a way of using egg yolks....maybe a similar thing to your routine but a herb wash instead of the poo bar (my hair HATED that experiment!)
I remember doing an egg yolk mask as a teenager and loved the results, but spent ages stinking of that eggy smell.
I didn't know yolks alone removed oil, i thought you needed the whites to do that, i guess it's kind of like the idea behind CO washing :)
Anyway, i'm glad this worked out well for you :)

ratgirldjh
April 29th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I think it is the lethicin (sp?) or is that only in the white?

My hair does NOT like egg whites - they make it dry and crispy even if used with yolks.

Way back when I used to heavily oil my hair and use only egg yolks mixed with patchouli EO to wash out the oil. Then I would do a lime juice or ACV and water rinse - and sometimes I could still smell the egg days later...

YUCK!

So I started doing this when I finally realized that shampoo bars would take away the smell.
This way I don't have to wash like 3 times with my shampoo bar so I still get some of the oiling conditioning without drying my hair back out with washing!

DragonLady
April 29th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I use egg yolk now before every shampoo. Afterward, I rinse with a strong beer, and that cuts most of the smell. By the time I'm done with the catnip and the weekly SMT, I don't smell eggs any more at all.

Madame J
April 29th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Yes, ratgirldjh, it is the lecithin in the yolk that probably helps. You put yolks in homemade mayo to help mix water and oil together. So the lecithin will emulsify the oil in your hair with the shower water and help everything rinse away. The 'poo bar probably makes sure all the residues are gone, too.

...now all you need is a good angel food cake or souffle recipe to use up all those egg whites you'll have stashed!

ratgirldjh
April 29th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Yes, ratgirldjh, it is the lecithin in the yolk that probably helps. You put yolks in homemade mayo to help mix water and oil together. So the lecithin will emulsify the oil in your hair with the shower water and help everything rinse away. The 'poo bar probably makes sure all the residues are gone, too.

...now all you need is a good angel food cake or souffle recipe to use up all those egg whites you'll have stashed!

hahaha!
Lately my lucky cat has been eating them! I hate to throw them away!
They also make a good facial - but I even prefer egg yolk to white on my skin!

Madame J
April 30th, 2009, 06:09 AM
hahaha!
Lately my lucky cat has been eating them! I hate to throw them away!
They also make a good facial - but I even prefer egg yolk to white on my skin!

You can toss them in individual cubes in an ice cube tray and freeze them. Then, when you want to make a souffle or angel food cake, just defrost in the fridge and whip them up.

Yeah, the yolks are better for your face anyway because of the Vitamin A.

ShaSha
April 30th, 2009, 12:26 PM
So, what is it about egg whites that is not good for the hair?

I've been washing my hair a few times with eggs, the whole egg. No treatment, just rub in my hair and immediately rinse out. My hair has been nice, not too dry.

I probably should try the next time with only egg yolk. :hmm: :D

But I'd still like to know if there is any special reason why the egg white is not good and drying. :)

ChloeDharma
April 30th, 2009, 01:16 PM

I've been washing my hair a few times with eggs, the whole egg. No treatment, just rub in my hair and immediately rinse out. My hair has been nice, not too dry.

But I'd still like to know if there is any special reason why the egg white is not good and drying. :)

Egg whites are astringent, i don't think they are bad for the hair as such, but they can dry some hair out. If your egg wash is giving good results there is no reason to not use them, some people do include the whites when using eggs to wash, just maybe adding another yolk or some oil to compensate for the astringency of the white if needed.

ratgirldjh
April 30th, 2009, 01:27 PM

They just make my hair dry if I use them - yolks by themselves do not.

sheerhobbit
April 30th, 2009, 06:42 PM
THIS is the post I have been looking for!

Here is my tale of annoyance: I did a heavy oiling on Tuesday night, and 11 washes with a CV shampoo bar later (11 times lathering up and rinsing out in three separate showers) I was still oily this morning (Thursday), although it was much improved. Still, I gave in and used commercial shampoo..:(

Seriously, I used baking soda too, but nothing seemed to make the oil come out easily. Now I will try this with the egg yolk. But can someone please explain the steps and quantities needed?

Thank you so much!

ratgirldjh
April 30th, 2009, 06:53 PM
THIS is the post I have been looking for!

Here is my tale of annoyance: I did a heavy oiling on Tuesday night, and 11 washes with a CV shampoo bar later (11 times lathering up and rinsing out in three separate showers) I was still oily this morning (Thursday), although it was much improved. Still, I gave in and used commercial shampoo..:(

Seriously, I used baking soda too, but nothing seemed to make the oil come out easily. Now I will try this with the egg yolk. But can someone please explain the steps and quantities needed?

Thank you so much!

Just so you know: CO washing takes oil out much more easily than either shampoo bars or shampoo.

But if you are like me and don't like to use conditioner the egg thing works great. Actually, I used to do this same treatment and eggs were all I used to remove the oil - I just didn't like the odor the eggs sometime left - so that is why I started using my poo bar after the egg yolks.

What I do is take 3 egg yolks (for even greater oil removing use the whites too - but they make my hair too 'clean') and put them in a jar with a tiny bit of water and shake until it is a creamy liquid.

I pour this over my oiled hair, and massage it everywhere. Sometimes I leave it on a few minutes - usually then I just rinse, rinse, rinse, with cool water.

Usually this takes out all the oil - but since I don't like the eggy smell - I then use my poo bar and wash my whole head and then I use a ACV rinse.

works every time! :cheese:

sheerhobbit
April 30th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks!! I will be sure to try this out on the weekend----I'll report back with updates! :D