PDA

View Full Version : Fine AND thick hair thread ^.^

Pages : [1] 2 3

florenonite
April 29th, 2009, 09:31 AM
People always seem to clump together fine hair and thin hair, and so threads for both tend to have a lot of advice that doesn't apply to people like me (things like more volume - half the time I want less!) who have fine hair, but lots of it. I know I'm not the only one out there, so let's share our tips for fine and thick hair!

I find that, because my hair's fine, it compresses quite a lot in the days after I wash it, so I can manage a halfway decent infinity bun a few days after washing it, so my solution is to only wash my hair once a week :p I find that I don't get scalp cleavage like fine-hairs with thinner hair because there's just so much of it already. Yes, sometimes it looks greasier than coarser hair would, particularly at the temples, but I find a small (emphasis on small!) amount of arrowroot powder applied before putting it up works wonders. This solution works best for people like me who are sick of having so few styles to do.

Another thing I find helpful is to separate portions of hair to make a bun. For instance, rather than doing a rope bun with a single braid I'll ponytail my hair, do two plaits, then wrap them both around. I want to try it without the ponytail and see how it works, because of course the ponytail can cause breakage on fine hair.

viking_quest
April 29th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Count me in for fine and thick. I've also found that styles are much easier to do on unwashed hair.

goodluckcharm
April 29th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Fine thick and wurly here.
Not the easiest hair type to deal with, that's for sure.

sneakybea
April 30th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Another fine and thick here. Sometimes I think it's the best of both worlds, and sometimes it's the worst. What's most difficult for me is striking the balance with my conditioner---too little, and the ends are all dry, too much and it gets flat and limp and all the waves go bye-bye.

helen2806
April 30th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Another fine and thick here. Sometimes I think it's the best of both worlds, and sometimes it's the worst. What's most difficult for me is striking the balance with my conditioner---too little, and the ends are all dry, too much and it gets flat and limp and all the waves go bye-bye.

me too! it's also really easy for my hair to get too fluffy after washing, but I have to be careful not to overload it if I try to calm it down with a leave in or oil... if I find the balance then I think it can definitely be best of both worlds

Leneveu
April 30th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I'm glad to find this thread!

me too! it's also really easy for my hair to get too fluffy after washing, but I have to be careful not to overload it if I try to calm it down with a leave in or oil... if I find the balance then I think it can definitely be best of both worlds

Most days I'm still looking for that balance!

Flynn
April 30th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Signing in.

I like having fine hair; it feels so soft. I hate it at the same time; it tangles horribly.

LutraLutra
April 30th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Yup, another fine and thick person checking in.

Before I found this site I really struggled with my hair. I was either a lank, over coned oil slick or a ball of frizz.

Oiling on wet hair has totoally changed the way my hair looks and feels, I don't get any of the weighed down feeling I got with cones or regular products.

As it grows longer I can see how it's going to be pain as even the slightest breeze sends my hair into a big cobwebby tangle. But then, like other posters say the plus side is the silky softness of being an F. :)

may1em
April 30th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Hey! That's me!

I hate going to the store and looking at the hairtoy aisle and seeing stuff marketed towards "fine" and "thick" hair. Um, I have both, they're using "fine" as a euphemism for "thin." The haircare industry doesn't have any problem marketing stuff towards people with oily hair, so it's a bit mystifying whey they go for euphemisms with circumference.

One thing I don't like is that it tangles horribly. Also, since I'm still growing out layers, my braids get really fuzzy, and I think the fuzz would be less noticeable with coarser hair.

LiraelQ
April 30th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Hooray for this thread!

*subscribes*

rhubarbarin
April 30th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I hate going to the store and looking at the hairtoy aisle and seeing stuff marketed towards "fine" and "thick" hair. Um, I have both, they're using "fine" as a euphemism for "thin." The haircare industry doesn't have any problem marketing stuff towards people with oily hair, so it's a bit mystifying whey they go for euphemisms with circumference.

I see this a lot in advertising and it's very misleading. Thin hair is called 'fine', I guess because no one wants to think of their hair as thin..and so is very sleek straight hair, no matter how much of it there is, or the actual texture. Curly, wavy, or kinky hair is called 'coarse', even African hair which is usually so, so fine (and very delicate, it definitely can't withstand what coarse strands could).
It does seem dumb, and you're right they aren't afraid to be direct when it comes to oily hair, giant pores, etc, so why all this tip-toeing around?

Just chiming in as my hair is neither thick nor fine (except in a few spots).

Phalaenopsis
April 30th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Yes, finally a fine and thick thread!

What I don't like about it is that my hair is fine, so vulnerable and prone to breakage, but okay, I have plenty of hair.

I hate the tangles, fine hair and a lot of it --> a lot of tangles
And it frustrates me 'cause where are you going to find something that's heavy enough to detangle, but not too heavy for my fine hairs. :?

And those little fine hairs can get everywhere! And when there are a lot of them, it's kind of hard to control them, especially when I do a braid.

florenonite
April 30th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Me too. I was trying to buy U-shaped pins for buns and saw ones for fine hair and ones for thick hair. I stood there, puzzled. I have both, which ones am I meant to buy?

Fine and thin are equated so frequently it drives me mad. "Add body to fine hair", no, thanks, I've got far too much body.

catfish
May 3rd, 2009, 08:57 PM
Can I join?:D I have been described as having fine hair but a lot of it my entire life.
I agree with what others have posted that the pros of having fine hair are lovely softness, and lightness. However I also have the problem of having very fragile hair that seems to tangle just because it feels like it and it breaks whenever someone sneezes. :rolleyes:

I find that my hair really likes deep treatments often, but does not do well with conventional conditioner, I have a detangler and that seems to work better.

Anyone have a favorite detangler that keeps tangles out for a while?

Right now I use non-sulphate shampoo, catnip, oils, and detangler, plus food stuff for deep treatments ( honey, maple syrup, ect..) anything else I can use to minimize the tangles, minus cones:( they make the tangles worse.

drquartz1970
May 3rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
I too have fine hair and a hell of a lot of it too! Yes tangles are a pain, and being susceptible to split ends too! A great idea to have a group for people with fine and THICK hair.

shell78
May 3rd, 2009, 10:59 PM
Hi! I'm another fine/thick (well the thick side of average..) checking in.

I also battle tangles and getting the right balance of conditioner. Too much and I'm stringy and overconditioned; too little and I'm dry and frizzy!

What are your favorite cone-free conditioners? So far I've tried a lot designed for dry, thirsty curls but my hair seems to prefer Suave Coconut even over the expensive salon stuff or the expensive organic/ natural stuff. Okay, so I should be thrilled that my hair prefers the cheaper stuff, but I do wish the Suave detangled a little better. What does your hair prefer?

Thanks for starting this thread!

talervo
September 23rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
I used to think my hair was thin until I stopped using shampoo and conditioner. Guess whatever I used either dried my hair out too much or was too oily. Ever since switching I can now say it is thick. I measured the other day and it was 4 inches!
I'm using a shampoo bar with CA rinse right now. Kimberlily's defrizz spray works really well for detangling if I use enough aloe in the mix. It doesn't weigh my hair down too much or make it too oily.
Haven't tried any masks or treatments really. Just too lazy or maybe I won't sit down long enough to do it?? What would you recommend for a treatment?
Nothing eggy or mayonaisy please. I did try that once. It stunk up my hair and was horrible to remove.

Loviatar
September 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Another signing in! :)

Fractalsofhair
September 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Same here! I have very fine hair that is probably a III. Not sure, since it was an ii/iii when about 70% of it broke off due to bleaching.

It's tricky to find products. I find ones marketed towards African American hair to work pretty well, since well, they do have fine hair. The products marketed towards "blonde"(my hair color) are often too heavy for my virgin hair.

Tabitha
September 23rd, 2009, 04:04 PM
Good thread! :thumbsup: My hairdresser said I have "fine hair, but a LOT of it!" and it's wurly too - tangle city :rolleyes:. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

JamieRose
September 23rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Well, I'm not iii thick, but I'm about 3.5"... Can I still be here??? I'll bring cheese...

It also frustrates me that they use "Fine" when they mean "Thin". I agree with rhubarbarin, I think it's just because most people don't want to think of their hair as thin because it carries a negative connotation.

Fizz
September 23rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
Yup.. mine is both fine and thick too!:p
I have a never-ending tangle on the right side that drives me nuts!
After washing I like to use Charles Worthington Dream hair serum which makes my hair easier to comb when it's dry.
I also use coconut oil, but too much makes it very lank.

burns_erin
September 23rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Fine, thick, board straight and still struggling. It takes me about 18 times as long as my curly headed sister to do a decent S&D.

may1em
September 23rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Good thread! :thumbsup: My hairdresser said I have "fine hair, but a LOT of it!" and it's wurly too - tangle city :rolleyes:. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Oh, the tangles. Aren't they fun? I keep my hair up a lot for exactly that reason.

marikamt
September 23rd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Oooohhh! This is me! Every hairdresser I have gone to tells me I have fine hair "but a ton of it"........ and it does come with so many unique issues....... can't wait to read everything on here!

ericthegreat
September 23rd, 2009, 06:25 PM
Well, I have very coarse and thick hair. But, because my hair is also pin straight, the very sleekness of my hair makes it behave as if I had fine and straight hair.

I have many of the same issues you have florenonite. My scalp gets oily very quickly, like within a day so I really do need to rinse my scalp every night to keep the sebum in control. COing works the best for me personally, since my hair is again very coarse it really hates shampoo or anything with harsh detergents. I am well aware of using powder to soak up the excess sebum on your scalp, however for me personally I like water on my scalp so CO rinsing everyday works for me.

ecologystudent
September 23rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
I have fine hair, and have been told by many people that it's "very thick", but it's barely 4" in circumference.

dernhelm
September 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
Where did this thread come from? I have fine, thick hair and oh, the tangles are horrible! And with my curls I think that makes my tangling problem worse.

lyria
September 23rd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Count me in. I tend to like my hair type okay, and one major bonus for us fine and thick hair girls is shedding issues! Studying for the bar wasw one of the most stressful things I've ever done. I (and every other girl I knew) started shedding like crazy. I think if I had had another hair type I might have really suffered. As it was, I am sure I lost some circumferance, but you really would never know looking at it.

That said, sometimes it feels like I have so much volume I just can't deal and I want to throw it back in an elastic pony tail holder (Nooooo!).

florenonite
September 24th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I used to think my hair was thin until I stopped using shampoo and conditioner. Guess whatever I used either dried my hair out too much or was too oily. Ever since switching I can now say it is thick. I measured the other day and it was 4 inches!
I'm using a shampoo bar with CA rinse right now. Kimberlily's defrizz spray works really well for detangling if I use enough aloe in the mix. It doesn't weigh my hair down too much or make it too oily.
Haven't tried any masks or treatments really. Just too lazy or maybe I won't sit down long enough to do it?? What would you recommend for a treatment?
Nothing eggy or mayonaisy please. I did try that once. It stunk up my hair and was horrible to remove.

I use coconut oil the night before a wash. I used to use it as a leave-in, but found that weighed it down, so now I just use plenty the night before I wash it and leave it in overnight.

MissMaryMac
September 24th, 2009, 04:16 AM
My hair is fine- and I have a lot of it. My problem is that my hair is so slippery! And it tangles very easily. I love the way it feels when I have gone a week or more without washing- but I am very self concious about how greasy it looks. My scalp gets oily after about 3 days. I almost always have it thrown into a quick bun held with a ketylo stick. (LOVE those things!) I can't seem to be able to do many other buns because by the time I do more than 3 wraps, my hair is just to thick to be held!

09robiha
September 24th, 2009, 07:37 AM
ooooohhhh this is such a cool thread.
I proudly raise my hand as a fine and thick haired person. :D:poot:

Nenwing
October 7th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I think I do/will fall in this hair group as well. When my hair was long (bsl) I needed a really huge claw clip to get all the hair up, it took over the whole back of my head. I get at a loss as to how to handle it sometimes. Even at this short length I notice I can't go nuts with conditioner as it will weigh down my hair and make it just go flat. Its good that we can share ideas!

MirandaWelch
October 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Joining the thread :)

Odie
October 9th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Ah-hah! Found it!

I have a question for everyone here...does anyone use CV Shampoo Bars? Which type do you use? I want one that will keep my hair from becoming oily, but will provide more volume.

Acutally, I had a question about that as well... a lot of you have said that you don't need more volume. I don't either, if I keep my hair short... but I'm looking for a way to grow it out and not have it be limp and lifeless due to its own weight bearing down on it. So, is volume what I'm looking for? Should I instead be looking for something that will add thickness to my individual hair strands?

Thanks for your help.

alys
October 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Alright ladies and gents perhaps some advise? The hair type in my avatar area is most likely wrong, as I did it couple years ago with no real help or experience. BUT - the people at the salon always comment on how thick my hair is, which I take to mean that I have a lot of actual strands, or follicles. However, the strands themselves are very thin, and I mean thin, My pony circumference is probably equal to a nickel coin, at it's absolute thickest. So, in your opinions with lack of a photo to share w/ you, am I a fine and thick? Lotsa strands but thin thin thin?
and may I just add here a vent - why why why if my strands are sooo thin is my hair so prone to being poofy and not laying flat?!?!!? ARRGHGHGGHHGG

gnegirl
October 9th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Another signing in, of the super straight variety. Any advice on how to avoid breakage when doing sports, working out at the gym, or other active things?

Rain
October 9th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I have a variety of textures but it's mostly fine. Fine, thick and curly. It's fluffy so not quite as thick as it often looks but there is still a lot of it. It's tricky finding a balance between getting adequate moisture for good curl formation and not weighing my hair down.

maegquare
October 9th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Oh, how did I miss this thread until now? Count me in, too, please! :)

Same problems here with the tangling, breaking too easily, and money wasted on hair toys 'for thick hair' that won't hold mine. I try so hard to treat my hair gently and have been frustrated by the breaking and all the flyaways sticking out sometimes. I haven't started using oil yet but am glad to know it helps some of you. I am definitely going to try it.

Shiva
October 9th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I was always told I had fine hair, but LOTS of it, so does that count as thick?

Can I join your way cool club?

Oh, I'm not worthy... not worthy!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/emoticons/bows.gifhttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/emoticons/bows.gifhttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/emoticons/bows.gif

Canarygirl
October 9th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I'm fine-haired but have lots of it (except at the crown of my head now that I'm older...:o)

smilinjenn71
October 9th, 2009, 12:14 PM
:cheese:This is me!! YAY!:hifive:

I have fine/fly away hair but I have a lot of it! I just saw this thread and got sooo excited! Now to go back and read....:graduate:

grldollies
October 9th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Me Too! Very Fine & Lots of it! My hair fluffs out but the pony tail circumference is only 3" about the size of a US Quarter (I had to measure - 30 years - Draftsman/CAD Tech – just can’t help myself).
I have problems w/ always getting a "Rats Nest" underneath back of my neck. I have to brush it regularly. I usually oil a little underneath which helps some. When I was youngster my dad used to call me hazel brush!
I used to do the pony tail thing but then with fine hair you always have the top layers breaking @ the ponytail line. I now wear it in one back braid when I work out, or I am doing house work - less breakage then a ponytail – at least not all in one spot/line!

grldollies
October 9th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Yes, finally a fine and thick thread!

What I don't like about it is that my hair is fine, so vulnerable and prone to breakage, but okay, I have plenty of hair.

I hate the tangles, fine hair and a lot of it --> a lot of tangles
And it frustrates me 'cause where are you going to find something that's heavy enough to detangle, but not too heavy for my fine hairs. :?

And those little fine hairs can get everywhere! And when there are a lot of them, it's kind of hard to control them, especially when I do a braid.
I oil the braid a little which helps with the flyaways

grldollies
October 9th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Fine, thick, board straight and still struggling. It takes me about 18 times as long as my curly headed sister to do a decent S&D.
I feel your pain - you have hair like mine and I T00 have a curly hair SiSter, Gee all she does is shake her head & ok sometimes run a blow dryer & she's ready! NO COMBing OUT!
AND NO Tangles! I spend at least 20 to 30 min on combing out gently depending on the condition of the well water/hair silkiness that day!
She told me a couple of months ago she straitened her hair (only one day) and she would never, never do it again - all she did was brush it all day! She said to me "My G_D how do you live with it!"

feb26
October 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
subscribe!!:cheese: am so excited to finally have some info on this issue!! my hair is about 4-4.5 thick when ponytailed, more if bunned. laying loose is very fine, and tangles very very easily...I actually sprained a hairstylists finger when he was washing it out when I was 12...
I have lots of layers which helps create more movement and minimizes (kind of) the tangles..I put it up in ponies and buns very often as it can be unmanageable otherwise.
I use a deep-conditioning mask but only when its screaming for moisture the rest of the time I use kids detangler and leave in conditioner.

I think the problem is a lot of hairstylists don't know thick/fine hair exists because they're trained to only deal with fine hair one way, thick hair another..sigh..anyone have any tips on combating the baby-fines that come out to play every time I braid my hair (or pull into tight bun)??

Liave Ekeli
October 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I'm in the fine and thick hair club too. Including my bangs, my hair is a type iii thickness, but the strands themselves are thin and fine with no wave what so ever.

alys
October 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I'm certainly fine and thick, from what I can gather. But I've got a question about tangles. I go back and forth between long hair and pixie cuts, have for the last 10+ years. I've alternated bewteen natural hair care and conventional, finally met somewhere in the middle. BUT- my hair has never gotten tangles. No matter what length or how I cared for it, it's never gotten even one single small knot, (can't count the few times gum got in there, can we?). Am I the only one who never gets tangles. And why do I feel oddly left out? :)

Nicole.Amina
October 10th, 2009, 06:53 PM
My hair is fine, but since its curly I have LOTS of it and it just looks thick. Whenever I get my hair straightened at a salon, the person doing my hair is always shocked at how little hair I actually do have

MissManda
October 10th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hi!

Fine and thick here! Yeah, it really irks me when hairstylists mix up the terms thin and fine. I remember doing a Google search, and I couldn't find anything regarding fine, thick hair. It's always "Keep it short or perm it!" and "Long hair looks bad on you!"

When I was younger, I had classic-length hair and received NOTHING but compliments! I mean, I had my classmates coming up behind me and petting my hair because it was so soft, shiny, and thick! All of the girls in my class were extremely jealous of me.

Also, for those who use Flexi-8s, which size do you find works best for you? My ponytail circumference is about 4.25-4.5", and I am not sure that a x-small or a small would do. Medium, maybe?

florenonite
October 11th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Alright ladies and gents perhaps some advise? The hair type in my avatar area is most likely wrong, as I did it couple years ago with no real help or experience. BUT - the people at the salon always comment on how thick my hair is, which I take to mean that I have a lot of actual strands, or follicles. However, the strands themselves are very thin, and I mean thin, My pony circumference is probably equal to a nickel coin, at it's absolute thickest. So, in your opinions with lack of a photo to share w/ you, am I a fine and thick? Lotsa strands but thin thin thin?
and may I just add here a vent - why why why if my strands are sooo thin is my hair so prone to being poofy and not laying flat?!?!!? ARRGHGHGGHHGG

When we refer to thick hair here, it's usually hair with a ponytail circumference of at least 4". So those of us with fine and thick hair have lots of strands (enough to make a ponytail with a circumference of 4") but they're also individually small strands.

I'm certainly fine and thick, from what I can gather. But I've got a question about tangles. I go back and forth between long hair and pixie cuts, have for the last 10+ years. I've alternated bewteen natural hair care and conventional, finally met somewhere in the middle. BUT- my hair has never gotten tangles. No matter what length or how I cared for it, it's never gotten even one single small knot, (can't count the few times gum got in there, can we?). Am I the only one who never gets tangles. And why do I feel oddly left out? :)

I don't get many tangles. I wouldn't say I never get tangles, and I do oil my hair to minimise tangling, but it's really not that bad.

alys
October 11th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Hmmm, so my hair is not thick? Many times the hairdresser has commented on how much hair I have, different stylists at different salons and different stages of my life. I've always thought it to be thick but also very fine. Alas, according to what you have written here, my hair must not be thick because I can't have a 4 inch pont circumference. However it is worth mentioning that I haven't had hair long enough to do a pony in about 2 years. Sooo...perhaps my width estimate is pretty old and not so accurate. I did just put as much hair, about half, as I could into a makeshift pony on the top of my head, than measured with a string. It's just about 2 inches...too early to tell it seems. I'm wondering, since my pony doesn't measure up - should I still post in this thread?

lapushka
October 11th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Same here. Fine and thick, although it's been thinning out quite a bit in recent years. I've got about 4 inches worth of new growth now, all over, lots of new strands, so it's hopefully regaining its thickness a bit.

darkwaves
October 11th, 2009, 08:27 AM
This is a great idea for a thread -- and even here, I expect we'll see huge differences in how hair reacts!

Well, I have very coarse and thick hair. But, because my hair is also pin straight, the very sleekness of my hair makes it behave as if I had fine and straight hair. Um, no -- that's hair that is very different!

I have a question for everyone here...does anyone use CV Shampoo Bars? ... a lot of you have said that you don't need more volume. I don't either, if I keep my hair short... but I'm looking for a way to grow it out and not have it be limp and lifeless due to its own weight bearing down on it. So, is volume what I'm looking for? Should I instead be looking for something that will add thickness to my individual hair strands?

Thanks for your help. I've tried CV bars, and while they are nice for a change or scalp wash, they are too drying long-term for my hair. Once in a while, yes; every week, no. As for your other questions -- if your hair is thick, I'd be surprised if it weighed down and became limp and lifeless. And if it's thick, why try to make the strands thicker? :shrug:

The hair type in my avatar area is most likely wrong, as I did it couple years ago with no real help or experience. BUT - the people at the salon always comment on how thick my hair is, which I take to mean that I have a lot of actual strands, or follicles. However, the strands themselves are very thin, and I mean thin, My pony circumference is probably equal to a nickel coin, at it's absolute thickest. So, in your opinions with lack of a photo to share w/ you, am I a fine and thick? Lotsa strands but thin thin thin? This is puzzling. The strands themselves being thin means you have fine hair... And the salon comment could mean you have thick hair -- except that your listing says "i" -- the thinnest category. (I can't visualize the nickle circumference...) I would suggest that you retry the typing, based on the guidelines for that.

It's fluffy so not quite as thick as it often looks but there is still a lot of it. It's tricky finding a balance between getting adequate moisture for good curl formation and not weighing my hair down. Yes! This is exactly it for me!

I have problems w/ always getting a "Rats Nest" underneath back of my neck. Yes, me too. And when it's loose, it wafts out in the slightest breeze (unless held down by lots of curl products...) and locks into long tangles. (Which leads to breakage, which may be why I usually wear my hair up.)

Now that my hair (wet) is well below hip length, I can finally do more updo styles -- but that took a long time! What I don't like about my hair is how delicate it is... and how easily it dries out and breaks. But with care, fine, thick can be grown long. At least one LHCer has hers at ankle length!

Freija
October 11th, 2009, 08:47 AM
*waves*

Mine isn't extremely fine or extremely thick (though I'm working on that one!) but it does fall comfortably into both categories!

I was wondering if any of you could possibly offer friendly advice? :) My current hair-problem is that my hair flattens down very quickly - on the day of washing it is bouncy and fluffy and full, and falls into pretty, loose spirals - but by the morning afterwards, it's much flatter/thinner. My spirals fall out into waves when I brush/comb them anyway, but by the day after washing, all my hair feels a bit lank. This, more than anything else, makes it really hard to stretch washes (which I've been trying to do!).

I don't know whether I'm doing something wrong with my routine? I CWC with cone-free conditioner, but I use SLS in my shampoo: my water is so hard that anything else leaves a horrid buildup. ACV tends to make my hair dry, so I use it only occasionally. I comb/part my hair gently when wet then let it air-dry.

Any advice is, of course, welcome!

feb26
October 13th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I use mousse which seems to help plump up the hair abit...I also use a diffuser and blow-dry upside down, which also seems to add volume. I used to use a paddle brush but now use a medium curling brush (despite having largely straight hair with a slight wave in it) as the curling brush seems to add more volume to the individual strands whereas the paddle brush, while creating a smooth, silky look mostly flattened em out.

Play around a bit and see what your hair best responds to. You can always try bunning your hair up a bit too for overnite, then loosening and spraying for a nice "Full look"

best of luck

KBG
April 20th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Another fine and thick here...I helped to color my mom's hair the other day and had the chance to compare our hair stands. Mine was like a spider web next to her thready one.

She has thin (fewer hairs per sq. inch) hair but more shine, elasticity and can dye and fry (blowdry or flat iron/thermal comb & hide greys) with little trouble. The breakage she does have is from sleeping in hard curlers (!) and using combs with closely-spaced teeth.

If I did that, it would be all over.shudder:

My hair appears hearty but is actually hyper-touchy and fragile. I have to be so much more careful with mine.

In addition, she's a type 3 curl and I'm a type 4 kink-curl. At a salon, the stylist would inevitably assume that my more dense & kinky head of hair could take more heat etc.(abuse). Same person would treat mom's more sparse, curly(but stronger!) hair more kindly.:justy:

I had awful hair growing up because my mom was using her regi (my aunts have similar hair to my mother) on my hair. The habits I learned & then used when I started 'caring' for my own hair were mostly all wrong for me. It has been a true re-education.

Even now she'll question things I'm doing (or not doing anymore )and I have to remind her that we just have different hair.

Twil
April 20th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Fine Thick and Curly here! If I braid my hair wet, I can compress it till it's less than an inch around, but dry, it raises about an inch from my scalp!

Esme51
April 20th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Hooray for this thread. This is my hair exactly, and the advice from this site has been invaluable. I was days away from cutting all my hair off (again) when I found LHC.

The thing that I love is when I go to the salon to get highlights: about half way through the process the hairdresser will start to give me dirty looks because of the thickness (not the length-I am at my shoulder blades right now). I always feel bad because they have to put in twice as many highlights to cover my hair. I also get the same dirty look from the person blow drying my hair-they look at me as if I grew thick hair just to be a pain :)

I always tip well to relieve my guilty conscious.

florenonite
April 20th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Esme51: I'd do the opposite; if people are going to act like I'm making their job difficult because of the way I was born, I'm darn well not going to give them extra money for it!

SunDreamer76
April 20th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I THINK I'm fine and curly. Not sure really. Everyone tells me I have THICK hair because I have a lot of it... but occasionally a stylist will tell me that my individual hair strands are thin. So, I'm really not sure.

I read a PP in this thread that commented on getting rats nest tangles in the under-layer of hair down from the back of the neck if you wear your hair down -- THAT'S ME. I mean, it's nearly immediate! If my hair is dry and down, it's tangled in that area... BIG, gnarly tangles that take forever to comb out. This is THE MAIN reason I rarely wear my hair down! I wish I knew how to fix it as I'd like to wear my hair down more often. :(

I've found that using products that "smooth" my hair seems to be best for me... and I never blow dry (picture a blonde afro -- not cute), because once it's BIG there's no taming it.

ASillyKitty
April 20th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I have fine hair and a ton of it! It has actually thinned out a bit in the past couple of years, but there is still a lot there. I've kind of come to accept that my hair is a bit wild and will never lay down flat and nice, because the strands are just not heavy enough to lay down! I also definitely get the rat's nests on the back of my neck. Even when my hair is braided they seem to pop up.

Drynwhyl
April 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Oh thank you! People have been filling my head how this is impossible :rolleyes:
The only thing I hate about it it the matting and tangling. >.<

Kristin
April 20th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I read a PP in this thread that commented on getting rats nest tangles in the under-layer of hair down from the back of the neck if you wear your hair down -- THAT'S ME. I mean, it's nearly immediate! If my hair is dry and down, it's tangled in that area... BIG, gnarly tangles that take forever to comb out. This is THE MAIN reason I rarely wear my hair down! I wish I knew how to fix it as I'd like to wear my hair down more often. :(

That's me, too. I HATE nape tangles/mats. The last time it happened really bad was in January and I honestly have not worn my hair down for an entire day since. I ended up detangling with a coney serum for about 30 minutes before working all of it out. I would also appreciate any solutions for this problem.

Nenwing
April 20th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I posted earlier in this thread, and was wondering, do you have trouble with static??

I have rather fine hair, but plenty of it, and static tends to be a big problem for me. I think its in part because the hair is finer, so it charges with static that much easier.

smilinjenn71
April 20th, 2010, 06:38 PM
That's me, too. I HATE nape tangles/mats. The last time it happened really bad was in January and I honestly have not worn my hair down for an entire day since. I ended up detangling with a coney serum for about 30 minutes before working all of it out. I would also appreciate any solutions for this problem.
If I'm not mistaken, there was an earlier suggestion of heavy condish in that area and/or a leave in condish. It makes sense b/c that should add more slip.

MissManda
April 20th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I don't have huge problems with tangles and matting, actually. It seems like the longer my hair gets, the less it wants to mat up. When I do get knots, I gently work through them with a wide-toothed comb or my fingers. As others have said, oiling is very helpful. DBF loves brushing/combing my hair because it is so easy to get tangles out of my hair (his hair is 2c). :D

As for static, oh yeah. When it happens, my hair gets serious poof and it looks kind of scary. I found that switching from a plastic brush to a wooden brush helped reduce static while brushing my hair. Yes, I use a brush. I honestly think it makes my hair look better than a wide-tooth comb, which I only use to detangle and nothing else.

drquartz1970
April 20th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Sign me up to this thread. I too have fine and THICK hair and constantly having to undo tangles at the nape and on the last inch or so on the ends. That's the price to pay for having that type of hair if you wear it loose I guess.

Kristin
April 20th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Smilinjenn- I do use extra leave-in or serum on my nape-hairs, but it doesn't seem to help much. Could be that those hairs were damaged from years of somewhat aggressive detangling. I have since cut just those hairs by about two inches and they have improved a bit.

Static is a problem for me in the winter, but wasn't as much this winter. Oil and wooden combs/brushes help.

LoveMyMutt
April 20th, 2010, 10:18 PM
This is me. My individual hairs are very fine, but there are a LOT of them. Plus my hair is wavy/curly so it is BIG.

It always confused me that hair products and tools were marked as being for "fine, thin hair" or "coarse, thick hair," because mine was clearly fine AND thick. It is also pretty dry, but many products and conditioners were too heavy for it and made it look lank and greasy. Now I CO wash only and it does much better with that.

hanne jensen
April 21st, 2010, 12:05 AM
I have very fine hair. If there were a category named fine minus, i'd be it. But, I have a lot of them. I've solved the dryness problem with henna and cassia and CO. I use Fructies Triple Action conditioner. That helps a lot with tangling and static. I wear my hair up all the time, because if I just look at my hair it will tangle. If somebody sneezes 1 kilometer away, my hair will break. I'm covering my hair against the strong spring sun and the drying wind. That seems to help too.

florenonite
April 21st, 2010, 02:40 AM
Question:

Because my hair's so fine and thin, it takes virtually all day to dry. Because the nape hair takes so long to dry, it looks greasy from absorbing too much water or some such thing, and I was having scalp issues. I recently cut to APL for this very reason, but I would like to grow back out to waist at some point.

Any tips for drying faster? I'm really not a fan of blow-dryers, so they're kind of a last-resort.

feb26
April 21st, 2010, 08:58 AM
Re static issues: yep, I get em. Use Static Guard or any anti-static product that you would use for clothing on yr hair. Lightly (1 spray) apply product to brush and brush through. I used to live in Winnipeg, MB and in the winters this was the only solution. Applying water to your brush and brushing through will also provide relief, however, only temporarily.

Re: drying faster: DO NOT RUB strands together, gently sponge wet hair with a towel. I find if i use a conditioner and then comb my hair straight it dries best. If there's natural light, even better. It takes me 1.5hrs to dry this way. I've never tried one of the hair towels from Avon but I've heard they're quite good at absorbing excess dampness too.

MissManda
April 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM
I know about hair taking next to forever to dry. I hate putting my hair up after I wash it because then it will take even longer to dry. I just deal with it, although I find that fluffing my hair with my head upside-down every once in a while helps the inner/under layers dry. I don't know if it helps, but it seems to work for me. But since you're a wavy, that might not be the best thing to do because of the mega-fluff.

I too find that it helps my hair dry a little faster if I gently detangle it while I am in the shower with conditioner in my hair. I do come when wet sometimes because it really doesn't seem to bother my hair (which is why if I am not really an F).

florenonite
April 21st, 2010, 02:39 PM
I've got a microfibre towel, and usually put my hair up with that for about ten minutes after a wash (because otherwise it drips everywhere and makes everything wet). Then I let it out to dry. Occasionally I comb it, depending on how it looks, but I tend to feel like it's just plastered to my head when I do that. That's a good point, MissManda, about fluffing it. My hair's not hugely wavy (I see I've got it stated as 1c/2a, but lately it seems to be closer to 1c, or maybe 1b/1c :shrug:), so I don't think it would be a huge problem.

feb26: Unfortunately, Scotland is somewhat lacking in natural light for a good portion of the year. And that's when you're lucky enough for the sun to come out from behind the clouds :lol:

KBG
April 21st, 2010, 03:05 PM
I have very fine hair. If there were a category named fine minus, i'd be it. But, I have a lot of them. I've solved the dryness problem with henna and cassia and CO. I use Fructies Triple Action conditioner. That helps a lot with tangling and static. I wear my hair up all the time, because if I just look at my hair it will tangle. If somebody sneezes 1 kilometer away, my hair will break. I'm covering my hair against the strong spring sun and the drying wind. That seems to help too.

Oh my goodness, same here! Scarves and hats help me a lot. The beach is hard on my hair too.

I'm learning that growing out my hair might mostly be a private (and online) joy since wearing it out free brings tangles (from the fine and thick )and shrinkage(from my super tight spiral 4 curl).

le sigh.:o

Kristin
April 21st, 2010, 03:05 PM
My hair takes eons to dry, too. It makes me crazy. I have been blow drying on cool lately because I just can't take it. :( Bad, I know.

I use a microfiber towel but it doesn't help at all. If it is wet at all when I go to bed, it will be the exact same when I get up in the morning. *sigh*

lovelylaura
April 21st, 2010, 05:43 PM
*waves*

Mine isn't extremely fine or extremely thick (though I'm working on that one!) but it does fall comfortably into both categories!

I was wondering if any of you could possibly offer friendly advice? :) My current hair-problem is that my hair flattens down very quickly - on the day of washing it is bouncy and fluffy and full, and falls into pretty, loose spirals - but by the morning afterwards, it's much flatter/thinner. My spirals fall out into waves when I brush/comb them anyway, but by the day after washing, all my hair feels a bit lank. This, more than anything else, makes it really hard to stretch washes (which I've been trying to do!).

I don't know whether I'm doing something wrong with my routine? I CWC with cone-free conditioner, but I use SLS in my shampoo: my water is so hard that anything else leaves a horrid buildup. ACV tends to make my hair dry, so I use it only occasionally. I comb/part my hair gently when wet then let it air-dry.

Any advice is, of course, welcome!

My hair, same thing. Still pretty flat but then by the end of the day lank, greasy, flat.

Believe it or not, I've had amazing success with CO with no cone conditioner. My hair has more body now and it lasts. So weird- and no one understands it especially knowing how my hair was before! lol

MsBubbles
April 21st, 2010, 08:34 PM
I have very fine hair. If there were a category named fine minus, i'd be it.

That made me laugh! Thanks :D

Florenonite: this might be a bit over the top but how about using an extra microfiber towel and wrapping your hair in it for an extra 10 mins?

florenonite
April 22nd, 2010, 02:15 AM
MsBubbles: I actually find it takes longer to dry when I do that, I suppose because it's not exposed to the air as much :shrug: It also makes my fringe really wonky because it dries straight up!

eternallyverdan
April 22nd, 2010, 04:16 AM
I posted earlier in this thread, and was wondering, do you have trouble with static??

I have rather fine hair, but plenty of it, and static tends to be a big problem for me. I think its in part because the hair is finer, so it charges with static that much easier.

I was going to mention this! I can't use brushes in winter because my hair goes nuts and sticks to anything, which can frankly get a little embarrassing considering how far it can reach at this length.

I also have issues with a lot of shorter hairs around my ears and nape, which tend to come out after a long day or in the humidity. I used to get really bad nape tangles when I was younger, but they've mostly stopped now, and my hair doesn't tangle too badly even when I wear it down.

Personally, I love this thickness and texture because it's soft and you can do so much with it! I find that my hair holds curls quite well.

MerryKat
April 22nd, 2010, 04:49 AM
I am not quite a 4 in circumference (currently 3.3 inches excluding my fringe), however I have super fine hair and loads of it. When loose no one will believe the circumfence is only 3.3 but it compresses down to nothing. My braids are pathetic!

I have finally given up on products and gone back to NW as this is the only thing which seems to resolve the tangles, splits, fuzz and fluff which other products cause.

My hair has always taken to chemical treatments (perm / color) in an extreme way - had a normal perm many years ago and it came out as a spiral perm. However, with in weeks of any chemical treatment i have huge split and breakage problems - henna and cassia are the the only things which did not damage my hair.

I dare not use a hair dryer - look like hairy mary and it never settles down unless huge volumes of product are used which then makes it greasy by the next day.

Any other kind of curler or straightener just causes too much damage to be worth while.

NW/SO and growing out virgin hair is the best solution for my fine, thick, wurly hair.

lovelylaura
April 22nd, 2010, 06:34 AM
Defintely tangles. I have the most success with CO every few days. The big snarl at the nape always shocks people... what are all of your hair-care routines?

florenonite
April 22nd, 2010, 07:54 AM
lovelylaura: I use CV shampoo bars every 2-6 days (yes, it really does vary that much, but it's usually every 3-5 days), coconut oil the length before washing and occasionally the ends after.

PiroskaCicu
April 22nd, 2010, 10:33 AM
I've always had fine hair but LOTS of it. I got it from my mom...who's hair is even thicker (meaning more hair) but fine. It's a confusing texture, to be sure.

MissManda
April 22nd, 2010, 12:11 PM
I don't use a blowdryer because I am afraid of what it might do to my hair. I had never, ever gotten into the habit of using a blowdryer in my life (in fact, I can count the times I have had my hair blowdried on my fingers), and I intend to keep it that way. Not only do I not want damage, but I think it would make me look like a fluff-monster when used in concert with AVG or the hairspray I occasionally use. I never got into curling irons, either, which really bothered my grandmother because she strongly dislikes my straight hair for some reason. I can get much nicer-looking curls and waves without using any heat at all and they will stay in my hair for days.

As for my hair routine, I wash every 3-4 days, depending on how much oil I have on my head. I use the CWC method, which makes my hair very happy and I will use a mixture of AVG and jojoba oil as a leave-in. I heavily oil before washing, again, with jojoba oil. I do oil on days in between when my hair seems like it needs it, especially my ends because they are the only part of my hair that has the remains of chemical treatments on them. I always air dry my hair, fluffing it occasionally.

I usually sleep with my hair loose because my sleep buns are already so big that they hurt my head and I can't lie down the way I want to. I don't do braids because my hair just comes right out of them because of my grown-out layers and bangs. I don't get lots of tangles from it, which is nice.

Celebrian
April 23rd, 2010, 04:25 PM
Thick but fine joining in here. One reason I came across this thread tonight is that I can fall into the trap of OVER-CONDITIONING all too frequently. Result = silky lengths and a flattening on the top. Not a good look for me!

I have tried (for the second day in a row) to just use shampoo and NO conditioner. The attempt yesterday failed and I had lovely (bouncy, thick) silky lengths. Top = still... flat!

When this bush of hair is dry, I will re-evaluate and apply some sort of leave -in to the ends. See how that goes.

Honestly, it's like having schizophrenic hair!!

ASillyKitty
April 23rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
Actually, when I blow dry my hair, it looks great! There is much less frizz; however, I never blow dry because it is damaging and it causes there to be more frizz when I don't do it.

grldollies
April 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I have straight, thick & fine hair, colored. Ya I'm 50 and not into gray hair hence the coloring but I still have oily skin & scalp - so .... I have to blow dry my top hair area or I am flat and then very oily a couple hours later. By blow drying I can go a day or two without washing again. If I still lived in Mich where I grew up I might be able to go without blow drying a little but here in fl - well hideous is a good word to describe what happens without blow drying. I try to just get it almost dry but not all the way and use cool at the end. I leave my ends alone and let them air dry.

Vanilla Mint
April 24th, 2010, 06:28 PM
My hair's fine and thick, too. At this point, my bangs are cut so far back on my head that there is practically no "side" hair, if that makes any sense, lol. It makes a high ponytail a lot easier on my head! Sometimes I find it's difficult to really get a good, clean scalp without roughing up my fine hair, and that's probably my biggest annoyance.

Also, +1 with being annoyed by fuzzy braids and tangles. I think fine hair can feel really nice when it's doing what it should be (which is rarely for me!), but I envy coarser hair and its smooth appearance. I tend to adjust my washing methods so that I can give my hair a coarser feel, because it makes it easier to deal with. :{

Flynn
April 24th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Question:

Because my hair's so fine and thin, it takes virtually all day to dry. Because the nape hair takes so long to dry, it looks greasy from absorbing too much water or some such thing, and I was having scalp issues. I recently cut to APL for this very reason, but I would like to grow back out to waist at some point.

Any tips for drying faster? I'm really not a fan of blow-dryers, so they're kind of a last-resort.

If it's your scalp staying wet that's the big problem, I find that a very loose... let's call it a bun, but it's more of a "I just grabbed all my hair and loosely mashed it into a ball shape" help up with, say, a claw clip, and positioned in sort of a mid-high ponytail position-- but very loose, so it does droop back down -- seems to help all my scalp hair to dry, although it does mean my ends stay damp for much longer. If I just leave it loose, the canopy dries fine, but everything underneath -- including on my scalp -- stays damp for quite some time

Flynn
April 24th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I was going to mention this! I can't use brushes in winter because my hair goes nuts and sticks to anything, which can frankly get a little embarrassing considering how far it can reach at this length.

I have a brush with a metal plate -- it's meant to hold heat when blowdrying or some such thing -- which works marvellously as an anti-static device. Adding a bit of conditioner also completely destroys any static problems for me.

Flynn
April 24th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Thick but fine joining in here. One reason I came across this thread tonight is that I can fall into the trap of OVER-CONDITIONING all too frequently. Result = silky lengths and a flattening on the top. Not a good look for me!

I have tried (for the second day in a row) to just use shampoo and NO conditioner. The attempt yesterday failed and I had lovely (bouncy, thick) silky lengths. Top = still... flat!

When this bush of hair is dry, I will re-evaluate and apply some sort of leave -in to the ends. See how that goes.

Honestly, it's like having schizophrenic hair!!

I think that just happens when you've got this sort of hair. It's soft and silky.... and doesn't stand up much by itself! I mean, when you make a ponytail, your ends kind of hang straight down, right? Compare with coarse hair, where they have a much shallower curve -- it sticks out much further before it goes down. I think ours just gets weighed down at the scalp much more easily.

florenonite
April 27th, 2010, 06:51 AM
If it's your scalp staying wet that's the big problem, I find that a very loose... let's call it a bun, but it's more of a "I just grabbed all my hair and loosely mashed it into a ball shape" help up with, say, a claw clip, and positioned in sort of a mid-high ponytail position-- but very loose, so it does droop back down -- seems to help all my scalp hair to dry, although it does mean my ends stay damp for much longer. If I just leave it loose, the canopy dries fine, but everything underneath -- including on my scalp -- stays damp for quite some time

Ooh, that sounds like a good idea!

Springlets
April 4th, 2011, 01:06 AM
This thread hasn't been posted in for awhile so I'm going to revive it. Ah, reading through these posts was like a revelation! I had no idea that so many hair issues I had was because of my fine thick hair- the tangles, the fluff, the sensitivity to too much or not enough product. It all makes sense now. I am definitely going to try some of the tips in here. :cheese:

MonaLisa
April 4th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I'm in! Tons of tangles and many hours to dry!
But I also love how silky , and delicate and powerful in same time it can look!;)

Curly_jas
April 4th, 2011, 03:34 AM
ooh I'm in :) i also have very fine hair which is also quite thick, i think i like it like that though...although i might be saying this only because i just finished taking some pictures for my album and am feeling happy with the progress my hair's made. So basically we'll see how i feel later in the week when it's not behaving lol.

Curly_jas
April 4th, 2011, 03:39 AM
I'm in! Tons of tangles and many hours to dry!
But I also love how silky , and delicate and powerful in same time it can look!;)

Ah yes i agree completely! :)

MeganE
April 9th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Lately I've been worried about the amount of breakage I get. It seems like it's literally impossible to comb or brush it when it's dry without some amount of breakage (I think that's probably always been true, I just wasn't on LHC so I wasn't as aware of it). I strive to be careful enough to get zero breakage, but it just doesn't happen. I feel like I need to take perfect care of it, and every strand that breaks makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I can't braid it at all without getting at least one little half-invisible strand wrapped around a finger until it breaks, so I've stopped doing braids very often, even though I love them. And other, more complicated hair styles are much, much worse. I got my first Ficarre and I don't wear it very much because it seems to pull on my hair, no matter how I style it.

How much breakage do you fellow fine-hairs have? Does your hair have good elasticity? I was reading about hair health, and the source I found said that your hair should have some stretch ability when it's dry (about 30&#37; before it breaks?), and mine doesn't seem to stretch at all, it just breaks right away. Is that a sign of something wrong, like my hair being in need of moisture or protein, or is that just normal for fine hair?

RecklessCharlie
April 9th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Finally a thread for my hair type! :) I have an abundance of hair but the strands themselves are very fine. Which used to lead to irritating tangles but thanks to LHC I've learned how to handle those :)

elbow chic
April 9th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I'm here. I can relate to not being able to braid without snapping at least one hair along the way.

Don't know if that's related to its fine-ness or if that's just normal.

But, I HAVE hair so I can have some fun with it, so I'm braiding away! Gotta crack an egg to make an omelet.

And even if I break five hairs getting it styled that's less than the twenty I'd probably break once I tried to detangle the mess after a whole day of being down.

And I seem to get less breakage as I get more practiced at it. :)

WaterMusic
April 10th, 2011, 12:40 AM
I get tons of breakage too. I've been having some health problems that are wreaking havoc on my hair, all of the usual overly delicate stuff, but worse than usually. I lost about a third of my hair a few months ago (not losing that much any more thankfully), and am still shedding slightly more than normal and having tons of breakage.

I keep trying to moisturise, because I think that has been part of this issue, but we all know how finicky that process is. I'm just trying to minimize the damage at this point, until my health is back to normal.

MsBubbles
April 10th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I have an abundance of hair but the strands themselves are very fine.

You have your hairtype listed as Medium thickness, though :flower:

MonaLisa
April 11th, 2011, 06:59 AM
So, for you more experienced ones, I think I figured out our type tends to get splits more maybe? Or its just me?

Any non-trimmers here? Or we do have to trim - as it seems to me at least :p

elbow chic
April 11th, 2011, 07:05 AM
My last trim was 15 months ago, except for a dusting of too-long stragglers about six month ago. I'm doing the no-trims-in-2011 thing, too.

Don't know if I'm too stupid to see a split if it's staring me in the face or what, but I honestly haven't seen any split ends yet.

Not for lack of looking! I feel like finding and trimming splits would make me feel like a proper longhair. haha

ritza
April 11th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I'm combo too!

Happy Hair Growing!

MissManda
April 11th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Sometimes I wonder if the reason why I haven't found a lot of split ends is because I can't *see* the darn things in the first place. Quite a bit of my hair is Fine-ish-Medium, but there's also quite a bit that I can barely see/feel, which makes S&D a royal pain.

MeganE
April 12th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I got a jar of cholesterol treatment tonight, and I've used it, but my hair hasn't dried yet. My hair does feel nicely smooth, and detangling was easier, and of course the treatment was amazingly rich and creamy.

The best part though is that when I tried pulled apart one of my shed hairs (so I could test its elasticity), I found that the hair stretched a bit before it broke!! I've been doing this regularly with some of my shed hairs and usually it won't stretch at all before it breaks. I'm very encouraged. :D

Jeep Girl
April 13th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Long Time Lurker, Seldom Poster here!

Can I join the club? I have read through all the posts - and yup, that's me! Fine hair - yes, thick hair - yes, tangles at the slighest whim - YES! I haven't truly trimmed other than S&D for 3 years. And my ends... I think I am going to have to cut a couple of inches off because they snarl so badly.
I am currently using Cure Care conditioner and Hair One Jojoba from Sally Beauty right now - they work "ok" - as in they don't make me break out into a horrible rash and my hair is so-so.
Eagerly awaiting more tips and tricks!

MeganE
April 15th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Does anybody else in the fine and thick category have a really hard time wearing Ficarre's? I haven't been able to get mine to sit comfortably without feeling like its pulling on my hair. Not sure if that's because my hair is fine, or because it's thick, or if I just have a sensitive scalp. But really, it's bad enough that I'm thinking about selling it on the swap board and getting another hair fork.

jojo
April 16th, 2011, 01:43 AM
So, for you more experienced ones, I think I figured out our type tends to get splits more maybe? Or its just me?

Any non-trimmers here? Or we do have to trim - as it seems to me at least :p

Yes I get a lot of splits mainly the baby ones on the very ends. I tried going no trims; BIG mistake. My hemline got splitty and was breaking. I have just taken an inch off and intend to take 1/4" every 3-4 months.

My hair is baby fine but thick at 4.25" so I think this is a thread for me! I struggle with tangles and now at waist cannot wear my hair down, the ends just go horrible and matted. I am however getting great success with a BBB, this is helping with static and reducing tangles.

I like the fact that my hair is very soft and shiny and the thickness is a plus. Bear in mind my hair was an inch thinner 6 years ago, better care has caused my hair to thicken. Overal I like my hair, just wish I could wear it down more.

I think this photo shows why I class myself as a fine/ thick head! can we have some photos of fine thickheads and proud of it! i likes photos! :D
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/jan1st2010.jpg

lovelylaura
April 16th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Smilinjenn- I do use extra leave-in or serum on my nape-hairs, but it doesn't seem to help much. Could be that those hairs were damaged from years of somewhat aggressive detangling. I have since cut just those hairs by about two inches and they have improved a bit.

Static is a problem for me in the winter, but wasn't as much this winter. Oil and wooden combs/brushes help.

I notice the nape tangles get bad at certain hair lengths- they would be driving me NUTS and then my hair would grow out a bit more and then they would be fine. Now my hair will get these awful tangles when I wear it in a ponytail and its brushing my collarbone- my PONYTAIL will get knots! Ridiculous! :P

lovelylaura
April 16th, 2011, 08:16 AM
SOOO many posts I want to comment on-

The biggest help for me was getting away from SLS! I COed with No-Cone conditioners for a long time every 4 days and was shocked at the body my hair actually had! For years my hair would be flat and greasy by the end of the day when I was washing it EVERY DAY. It started to get SO time consuming and annoying (with nape tangles and horrible poofiness at the ends/greasiness at the top) My hair was almost BSL when I almost cut it off days before I found LHC.

Now its been over a year- I COed for a long time, and then found my hair to be greasy and needing to be washed more often. So I got some CV shampoo bars, which work great- but have still been washing my hair every other day, and now i'm getting back some of the dry- end poofiness. So I am trying oiling my hair with Coconut oil and am going to see how that works. Its been over a year since I got a trim, and my hair now is touching my waist with longest layers in the back, and yes the breakage is often and BAD, so I think I will trim May 1st. But the breakage just re-occurs, and I dont' want to cut off length, but I think I need to do it. Whah.

I have also read about oil-shampoo right now, but I think people are doing it with SLS shampoo (something clarifying or I heard PRELL- which I am assuming is SLS or has cones, but I should check it out), so I wonder if there is a way I can get this to work with a CO or with shampoo bar... I know my length desperately needs moisture and can't be getting shampooed too often because its just getting the poof, which with damage looks LOVELY. But anything cones- forget it- return to greasedom.

I love this thread- finally fits my hair description. LHC has been so amazing and am so happy that I've been able to actually find help with my hair- since Cone filled products are commercially EVERYWHERE and they make my hair horrible.

So nice to have companions who understand about the knots too :) At certain lengths they get worse (esp at the nape) but hang tight, wear your hair up and they get better- even without trimming! My underlayers are at my waist and I am not having nape knot problems, but I get PONYTAIL knots when I wear my hair in a ponytail now, since it falls at collarbone. I feel like length has something to do with it!

So yes, I'm looking for a new hair routine at this point- ideally would like to shower and wash every 3+ days since my skin is so much better without showering, and get no BO (I know, amazing), and honestly, I hate showering but want to look presentable and not have greasy hair! What a battle... :P

<3

Signe
April 16th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Ok, so reading through this whole thread I realised I fall into this category, too, and changed my stats to reflect that. Any fine thick girls (:p) WO? If so...how do you deal with a flat, drab scalp area? Mine is so blah most days, even when it is totally clean and the length is looking fantastic.
I have been WO for a while now and I am really trying to make it work but i get so frustrated by how the top of my hair lies.

pepperminttea
April 16th, 2011, 11:12 AM
lovelylaura: On oil shampoo, I have read about people adding coconut oil to their conditioner instead of the shampoo, the results I've read have been great. Definitely worth a try! :D

Panth
April 16th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I just re-measured, having been pottering about here for probably the last 6 months or so ... and I've gone from a 3 1/2" circumference (I think it was) to what is now 3 7/8". So, does this mean I can come play on this thread?

I'm highly amused because I've spent my entire life thinking I have abnormally thin (as in sparse) hair ... probably because my best friend is a 2c/C/iii+.

I have also read about oil-shampoo right now, but I think people are doing it with SLS shampoo (something clarifying or I heard PRELL- which I am assuming is SLS or has cones, but I should check it out), so I wonder if there is a way I can get this to work with a CO or with shampoo bar... I know my length desperately needs moisture and can't be getting shampooed too often because its just getting the poof, which with damage looks LOVELY. But anything cones- forget it- return to greasedom.

Lovelylaura I do oil shampoo and find it is great. I currently use Pantene's Clarifying shampoo 2:1 with coconut oil, although when that bottle runs out I'm going to be buying something different (cheaper!). Ktani has made an article about the method here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=191

There is also a list of "optimal" shampoos (and what that means) here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1369612&postcount=816 I'm planning to switch to the Boots Essentials one as I know it'll be easy to find and cheap.

feb26
April 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM
signe: re the flat dull scalp issue you're talking about: I have that too!! I've tried everything to get my hair at the top of my head poof up just a bit - the 80's were awful for me, my bangs would NOT go up, no mater how much spray/gel I used. I have found that pulling the hair up a bit and then bobbypinning the back bits together helps it not look quite so flat; however, if your job requires wearing a headset you'll have to fix this halfway through the day. there is a great mousse I've bought which you spray directly into the roots...you literally spray the mousse wherever you want it to go and then blowdry. Haven't tried this with wet hair yet but it might work! Re oils and leaveins: personally I don't find oils help me at all. They just make my hair greasy and make it lie flatter than ever. Leave ins vary: I've tried one from Neutrogena with UV protectant, it really works nicely and smells fab. It's called Triple Moisture Silk Touch leave in cream...not sure if they're remarketing leave in CO's as leave in creams but it does work well on flyaways and frizz. The other one I've got is Pantene Nature Fusion Smoothing Creme...this one also is really nice, comes out in more of a mousse texture. If you try em let me know what you thought! Right now allergies are bugging me more than hair issues, my hair is behaving itself but I'm not loving how the left side which is more layered lays when am wearing a hoodie or laying on my side. End of month I go to a new hairstylist my sisinlaw uses. She has BSL, layered, so am hopeful we can work something out. Am thinking of trying layers a la hilary duff

TealDolphin
July 30th, 2011, 07:37 PM
This thread describes my hair :) Bumping.

MissManda
July 30th, 2011, 07:54 PM
One interesting thing that I have found out about my fine, thick hair is that it seems to like the really rich conditioners like Carnier Triple Nutrition for CO. I had read reports of it being too heavy for some, but, oh my gosh, my hair seems to love the stuff!

dRummie
August 2nd, 2011, 08:13 PM
I'm fine, wurly (2c) and thick (3.7 in), and all my life thought I have "thin" hair that wouldn't look good long. It's wonderful to see all the beautiful pictures in this thread of healthy, long fine and thick hair!

How do you curly ladies control the frizz? Are there leave-ins light enough not to weigh down delicate curls?

Re. the flat scalp hair: I have been pinning at the roots after washing, to give them lift while my hair is drying, and it's done wonders, combined with not brushing. Brushing will flatten my roots in a second, but if you can't go without, maybe brushing upside down would work? My hair is only at APL, though, so I may have to rethink this strategy when it gets longer...

Subscribing...

QueenJoey
August 2nd, 2011, 08:22 PM
Just want to say that you all are so lucky! I wish my hair was thicker. It's fine and thin, so it gets super stringy as it grows because there's just not enough to make a good full hemline. Hate it!

MissManda
August 2nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
dRummie, hairstylists told me the exact same thing that even though I have a lot of hair, I couldn't have it long because of its fine texture. It's so strange... I guess they expected me to use damaging stuff on my hair, which will break it off if used in excess. Seeing all of the ladies here with fine hair of any thickness proves them wrong, IMO.

I am not a wurly/curly, but I do get frizz and the best way I've learned to deal with frizz is to use rich, moisturizing, and heavy conditioners, so even though my hair is straight, parts of my hair routine sort of require me to treat my hair as if it was curly. I also find that moisturizing treatments like SMTs make my hair very smooth and drastically reduce frizz. I actually have to be very careful about using light conditioners because my hair will turn into a huge fuzzball because it won't be weighed down enough.

This may be a different story for others, but using AVG and/or coconut oil to smooth flyaways doesn't seem to work for me that well unless I apply a lot of it and then it makes my hair look bad. Only heavy moisturizing conditioners can get my baby hairs and fuzzies to behave.

To combat flatter roots, I make sure to gently run my fingers through the hair nearest my scalp so the hair does not lay against my head. Unless I need to b somewhere right away, I will not touch my hair until it is almost completely dry. Additionally, I prefer to shower later in the day so I can do go bed with damp hair. Then I either put my hair into a bun on top of my head or I just chuck my hair over my pillow. In the morning, I will have reasonably nice root volume that lasts for a couple of days. To keep the volume there, though, I try to keep touching my hair with my hands, even if they are clean, to a minimum because my hair seems to be sensitive to how much oil it has on it. I will only use my Tangle Teezer once or twice a day and use an afro pick or my fingers to detangle.

When my hair does start to get greasy, I will do a scalp massage and distribute the sebum onto my length and ends with my hands. Distributing my natural oils not only protects my hair, but it keeps it from getting too clumpy too fast, plus if I do a good enough job at it, it will give me even more volume wile looking like I put gel or mousse in my hair and not greasy at all.

GabrielleRose
August 2nd, 2011, 09:51 PM
I think you're going to have to subscribe me to this as well! When I do get my hair trimmed they tell me that yes my hair is fine, but that I have LOTS of it. Also, when I get a major hair cut I laugh at the stylists as I see their faces change as soon as they realize how much I have of it! :p My hair used to be SUPER thick, but then I had a bad run in with thinning it out because my mom made me. :( Basically, I had an Afro thing going on. I miss it! :( Hopefully, it will return to it's thickness. I am also one who suffers from HUGE tangles and splits. :(

MissManda
August 2nd, 2011, 09:56 PM
Heh, yes, most hairstylists underestimate how much hair I have until they get their hands into it. :p I remember one time I was getting higlights put in and my old hairstylist got so annoyed because she had to make an extra batch because she didn't make nearly enough... and my hair was only pixie length.

You've definitely come to the right place, GabrielleRose! Your hair's going to look amazing before you know it. Sorry to hear about the thinning you had to go through. :blossom:

GabrielleRose
August 2nd, 2011, 10:02 PM
Heh, yes, most hairstylists underestimate how much hair I have until they get their hands into it. :p I remember one time I was getting higlights put in and my old hairstylist got so annoyed because she had to make an extra batch because she didn't make nearly enough... and my hair was only pixie length.

You've definitely come to the right place, GabrielleRose! Your hair's going to look amazing before you know it. Sorry to hear about the thinning you had to go through. :blossom:

Wow, I'm really loving your thickness at pixie! That was rude of her to get annoyed. Are you still seeing her? I'm hoping my hair will look amazing, but I have layers that I'm trying to grow out. I really hate the way they look when they grow out, but I refuse to lose length since I'm 6 inches away from my goal. :D As for measuring thickness, how should I do it? I measured with the tape and pulling it as tight as I could go around it, should I measure it with my hair inside a pony tail holder? Sorry if that was confusing lol.

MissManda
August 2nd, 2011, 10:16 PM
Wow, I'm really loving your thickness at pixie! That was rude of her to get annoyed. Are you still seeing her? I'm hoping my hair will look amazing, but I have layers that I'm trying to grow out. I really hate the way they look when they grow out, but I refuse to lose length since I'm 6 inches away from my goal. :D As for measuring thickness, how should I do it? I measured with the tape and pulling it as tight as I could go around it, should I measure it with my hair inside a pony tail holder? Sorry if that was confusing lol.

Nope, I'm not seeing that hairstylist anymore because she kept telling me my hair would be stringy if I grew it super long (which it isn't) because of the fine texture. She is a nice enough person, but the way she kept saying that fine hair can't be long really took a lot out of my self-esteem when I'd visit her salon. She'd be completely floored if she could see how my hair looks now. :D

I was in the exact same position as you when I cam to LHC. I had lots of layers that were meant for a style that was meant for SL-APL hair and I hated it. I grew my hair out to waist and then started trimming them out and there is a huge difference in my hemline and thickness. Go for what will make you happy; I totally understand not wanting to chop.

As for measuring thickness, I like to take one of those itty-bitty silicone elastics and make a snug ponytail with it. I have to be careful when I do that, though, because my hair eats those things or they rip my hair out if I'm not gentle. I make sure the ponytail is nice and close to my scalp, then I slightly twist it to squish out any air to get my hair nice and compressed. Then I measure it with a soft measuring tape or a piece of string and a ruler. I make sure to pull fairly tight, but not too tight or that will cause damage (ask me how I know...).

I can measure without a ponytail holder and just use the tape as a ponytailer and I get similar, maybe slightly higher results. My hair is fairly straight and compresses easily, so most measuring methods don't make much of a difference for me. If your hair is more voluminous than mine, your results might be considerably larger than with a snug ponytail.

ETA: I found this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4598) and this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1266) to be very helpful. :flower:

GabrielleRose
August 2nd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Nope, I'm not seeing that hairstylist anymore because she kept telling me my hair would be stringy if I grew it super long (which it isn't) because of the fine texture. She is a nice enough person, but the way she kept saying that fine hair can't be long really took a lot out of my self-esteem when I'd visit her salon. She'd be completely floored if she could see how my hair looks now. :D

I was in the exact same position as you when I cam to LHC. I had lots of layers that were meant for a style that was meant for SL-APL hair and I hated it. I grew my hair out to waist and then started trimming them out and there is a huge difference in my hemline and thickness. Go for what will make you happy; I totally understand not wanting to chop.

As for measuring thickness, I like to take one of those itty-bitty silicone elastics and make a snug ponytail with it. I have to be careful when I do that, though, because my hair eats those things or they rip my hair out if I'm not gentle. I make sure the ponytail is nice and close to my scalp, then I slightly twist it to squish out any air to get my hair nice and compressed. Then I measure it with a soft measuring tape or a piece of string and a ruler. I make sure to pull fairly tight, but not too tight or that will cause damage (ask me how I know...).

I can measure without a ponytail holder and just use the tape as a ponytailer and I get similar, maybe slightly higher results. My hair is fairly straight and compresses easily, so most measuring methods don't make much of a difference for me. If your hair is more voluminous than mine, your results might be considerably larger than with a snug ponytail.

You should pay her a visit to see your hair now. I am thinking of trimming now because I would like a thicker hemline, but I'm not sure how much to trim off. I got a trim at the end of June, and I also got it cut into a V but maybe I'll go get a trim this week... How much would you suggest trimming off?

As for the measuring, I feel I get more accurate without a pony tail holder so I'll stick with that. :p Also, my hair looks pretty thick down at times. But the layers annoy me!

MissManda
August 2nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
You should pay her a visit to see your hair now. I am thinking of trimming now because I would like a thicker hemline, but I'm not sure how much to trim off. I got a trim at the end of June, and I also got it cut into a V but maybe I'll go get a trim this week... How much would you suggest trimming off?

As for the measuring, I feel I get more accurate without a pony tail holder so I'll stick with that. :p Also, my hair looks pretty thick down at times. But the layers annoy me!

How much you want to trim off totally depends on how much of your hair is badly tapered, how bad the damage is (if you have damage at all), and how fast your hair grows. Also, if you don't feel comfortable with trimming off a whole lot, then don't do it and trim a very small amount instead, maybe 0.5-1".

From August last year to June this year, I basically maintained my hair around Waist length by trimming 0.5", which is half of my monthly growth rate. My hair grew longer, but I wound up getting so frustrated with my layers that I just wound up cutting the rest of my growth off anyway so i might as well have maintained. It was so worth it, though!

There is a Microtrimming and Maintaining Club (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75468) if you'd like to learn more about tiny monthly trims to get rid of those layers of yours. Also, be sure to check out the Growing out Layers (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47351) thread if you haven't already because it contains a lot of good advice because what works for me might not be the best way for you.

GabrielleRose
August 2nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
How much you want to trim off totally depends on how much of your hair is badly tapered, how bad the damage is (if you have damage at all), and how fast your hair grows. Also, if you don't feel comfortable with trimming off a whole lot, then don't do it and trim a very small amount instead, maybe 0.5-1".

From August last year to June this year, I basically maintained my hair around Waist length by trimming 0.5", which is half of my monthly growth rate. My hair grew longer, but I wound up getting so frustrated with my layers that I just wound up cutting the rest of my growth off anyway so i might as well have maintained. It was so worth it, though!

There is a Microtrimming and Maintaining Club (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75468) if you'd like to learn more about tiny monthly trims to get rid of those layers of yours. Also, be sure to check out the Growing out Layers (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47351) thread if you haven't already because it contains a lot of good advice because what works for me might not be the best way for you.

Thank you so much! I am off to check out those threads!

taimatsuko
August 3rd, 2011, 02:19 AM
Yes! SO happy I found this thread. I didn't even realize this type of hair was a possibility until about three days ago. I have afro-amer 4z hair so all of my life people/hairdressers told my my hair is coarse and thick. So I went along my merry way believing that my hair was coarse and thick and frizzy because of these factors. Little did I know.... and then suddenly it dawned on me. Compared to a strand of actual thick hair that my roomates and other friends have, my hair is like air. A complete, 'well duh', moment. I just realized that I have been buying the wrong hair products and using them incorrectly all of my life. *sigh* que sera, sera.

Also, to fulfill a personal fantasy of mine I have taken to renaming this type "princess hair". Why? Because it's delicate, yet full and voluminous just like I imagine a princess' hair to be. Hurrah for childhood dreams fulfilled! :heart:

Rosetta
August 3rd, 2011, 02:33 AM
How much hair does one need to have to qualify as fine and thick? :)
I've sometimes been told that even though I have fine hair, I have quite a lot of it, but as my circumference is only in the ii category, I'm not sure I qualify here... Although maybe I should measure again, that measurement is from when I joined here which is quite a long ago, and I think my thickness may have increased since, due to better hair habits probably.

I didn't actually realize this type of hair was a possibility, either, as "fine" and "thick" hair are used as complete opposites all the time!

dRummie
August 3rd, 2011, 08:42 AM
Rosetta - I'm completely new here, but I imagine if you have some of the same problems, and you find some of the advice here useful, then you "qualify" ;)

MissManda
August 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
Yes! SO happy I found this thread. I didn't even realize this type of hair was a possibility until about three days ago. I have afro-amer 4z hair so all of my life people/hairdressers told my my hair is coarse and thick. So I went along my merry way believing that my hair was coarse and thick and frizzy because of these factors. Little did I know.... and then suddenly it dawned on me. Compared to a strand of actual thick hair that my roomates and other friends have, my hair is like air. A complete, 'well duh', moment. I just realized that I have been buying the wrong hair products and using them incorrectly all of my life. *sigh* que sera, sera.

Also, to fulfill a personal fantasy of mine I have taken to renaming this type "princess hair". Why? Because it's delicate, yet full and voluminous just like I imagine a princess' hair to be. Hurrah for childhood dreams fulfilled! :heart:

Ah, I've had such a hard time convincing people that if hair is curly, supercurly, or kinky that it isn't necessarily coarse (thick, resistant strands). Same with fine and thick hair types; marketing uses 'fine' as a euphemism for 'thin' so the two get confused a lot. It used to drive me crazy, but I've since learned to deal with it.

Oh, and as for fine and thick hair being princess hair, i totally agree! I think the supersoftness of it counts toward qualifying for being princess hair as well. :D

Rosetta, I'm guessing that we're using the third hair classifier to qualify as a fine and thick. So those with ii/iii or iii would be in this group. I do agree with dRummie that if you have similar problems and find the advice here helpful, then you should feel free to join in. :flower:

Helix
August 3rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Yep. I think this describes my hair. My individual hair strands are finer than a split piece of thread but there's a ridiculous amount of them on my head.

MissManda
September 7th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Bumping this thread because I have a question....

Many people with fine hair complain about tangles and while my hair has many characteristics of being fine, tangles are not one of them. Am I the only one out there whose hair doesn't tangle that badly? I get tangles if I'm out on a windy day with my hair loose and if I ignore it for long enough, it will become a rat's nest, but light breezes don't seem to be a problem. Also, my hair gets the worst tangles when it is wet or damp, but I have learned techniques to minimize this problem. I'm still scared of getting my hair washed at a salon, though, because the way they treat my hair makes it tangle like crazy and then they start complaining about it, ugh.

oktobergoud
September 7th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Yesss finally a thread where I belong ;)

My hair is fine and thin at the sides, but fuller and thicker towards the back! You can see it in this picture here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/postalwar/IMG_8472a-1.jpg (yeah that's me :P) you can see how much thicker the hair gets at the end of the back, while the length is the same! You can also see my weird hairline haha.

Chetanlaiho
September 7th, 2011, 04:37 PM
How much hair does one need to have to qualify as fine and thick? :)
I've sometimes been told that even though I have fine hair, I have quite a lot of it, but as my circumference is only in the ii category, I'm not sure I qualify here...

I'm in the same boat as you, my hair is not completely fine since I can see it in the light but I can barely feel it between my fingers. But since I have a lot of it (or so I've been told) my hair is still in the upper ii (although I've been shedding like crazy so I may have gone down a bit).

CurlyNaomi
September 7th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I believe my hair is thick and fine. It breaks off and get damaged very easily, even when it was not chemically treated. When I get out of the shower, my hair flat, life less and weight down. When it's dry it's a completely another story, big voluminous curly mane!! It might be the answer?

Lianna
September 7th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Fine and thin (within this context) is the same word in my language. :p Thank God I never had to speak to someone about this (like, explain).

florenonite
September 8th, 2011, 05:13 AM

Many people with fine hair complain about tangles and while my hair has many characteristics of being fine, tangles are not one of them. Am I the only one out there whose hair doesn't tangle that badly? I get tangles if I'm out on a windy day with my hair loose and if I ignore it for long enough, it will become a rat's nest, but light breezes don't seem to be a problem. Also, my hair gets the worst tangles when it is wet or damp, but I have learned techniques to minimize this problem. I'm still scared of getting my hair washed at a salon, though, because the way they treat my hair makes it tangle like crazy and then they start complaining about it, ugh.

I don't get much in the way of tangles, either. I find that combing, for me, is more about smoothing my hair and making it lie nicely than actually detangling.

WinterButterfly
September 9th, 2011, 01:45 AM
I have mostly fine hair with some random thick coarse strands thrown in. But I have lots of hair. People always tell me how thick my pony tails and braids are. A lot of people have braid thicknesses of less than half the ammount of my hair.volume isn't hard to achieve. But I get tangles and frizz. It is hard to find the right product for my hair. I like heavy conditioners. They help with tangles and keep the frizz at bay. I get lots of frizz after braiding or bunning. But I tangle when its down. I'm still searching for the right product combo.

Audrey Horne
September 9th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I don't know if my hair is thick but it isn't thin either. Tangles is the biggest enemy :( I still have some layers and it's just awful because I can't let my hair down, at least not at this length. It flies all over the place and becomes a fuzzball. CO and oiling don't help it at the moment, nothing does. I'm looking for a miracle. :D

celebriangel
September 9th, 2011, 08:05 AM

I do *get* tangles, but they're not a massive problem, and I can normally get them out by finger-combing. In fairness, I don't wear my hair down much.

I think that it might be a porosity issue - porous hair, I think, is more prone to tangles. My hair is not very porous at all (even the dyed parts, which had become more porous, have been henna'd a few times and are now back to "normal")

I like nonporous hair - my hair is tough to moisturize, but when I manage, it looks glassy-shiny.

Oh yes - and I too am a fine and thick. On the F side of F/M. I'm not sure of my true thickness, because my outrowth from giving up the dye has not yet all reached a nape pony (dye didn't damage my hair too much, but my scalp hated it and I shed tons more when I dyed).

morguebabe
May 5th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Ha ha Yeah I have fine thick hair It's soo weird!

jacqueline101
May 5th, 2012, 02:41 PM
My is the same thin around the temples thick everywhere else.

herdaughter77
May 5th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Signing in here. ;)

I deal with weight problems (headaches from updos), but, since I wear my hear up nearly all the time, I don't have serious problems with tangles.

:) I have to admit, I like my hair.

caisaco
May 5th, 2012, 06:08 PM
So if you have thin/fine hair but a lot of it it's called fine AND thick??
I do have fine hair, I have to use clear shampoos and all that, I also have short layers with my long-ish hair because it looks very full that way. I was told I have fine hair but a lot of it by a few hair dressers, but my friends say I have horse hair :p I'm sticking with my hairdresser's say

My best friend, bless her, poor thing has very fine and not much hair, it's just like a toddlers hair, so thin and you see her scalp everywhere!

patienceneeded
May 5th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Subscribing! My hair is fine and LOVES to slide out of clips and other hair toys if not carefully and strategically used. However, my fine (tangle-prone) hair is in great abundance, with a circumference of 5." Stylists are constantly commenting on how much hair I have, it astounds them!

Springgrl
May 5th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Yay for this thread! I didn't know how to classify my hair until a couple months ago, because 'fine' and 'thick' are not usually paired together. I am excited to go back through and read through all the advice!

lapushka
May 6th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Stylists are constantly commenting on how much hair I have, it astounds them!

Same here. When I used to still go to stylists, that's the one comment that kept recurring. With me some of those comments came after they realized the hair dye they were using was just not going to cover all of my hair, and that they needed to go make some more, usually reluctantly. Always annoying.

Ki
May 6th, 2012, 09:48 AM
*joins thread*

CocoBean
May 7th, 2012, 08:39 AM
*subscribed* I'm a fine and thick hair - wavy wurly too... :-)

JellyBene
May 7th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Yep, heres where I belong! Henna has taken me from F to M but I still consider it fine. And it is 4.25 inches in circumference

Shoga
May 7th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Well I think under normal circumstances I fall into this category, but due to so much stress the past 6 months, I lost a lot of hair.. lost 1/2 inch from my pony circumference last time I measured. I'm working to get it back. ;-;

Ostelot
June 6th, 2012, 06:25 AM
This thread definately describes my type of hair. :) My hair is closer to M, but around my face and fringe grow some weird, very blonde F strands. But no thick individuals, I'm ii/iii due to large amount of hairs. As an exception to some of you, I have never had problems with tangles. Maybe my non-porous hair type effects on that, the hair just gets stringy.

Btw, has anybody faced comments like "You'll be bald soon, look at that shed hair you leave to the floor"? I think it's kind obvious that a lot of strands mean also more hair to fall out . Every strand must naturally be renewed some day. :D Still e.g. my former hairdresser (nowadays I trim myself) used to comment the amount of fallen strands after every wash before the scissors. Every year she was worried about me whether I had stress or some illness causing the "abnormal" shed. Luckily not, just the average amount.

MissManda
June 6th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Btw, has anybody faced comments like "You'll be bald soon, look at that shed hair you leave to the floor"? I think it's kind obvious that a lot of strands mean also more hair to fall out . Every strand must naturally be renewed some day. :D Still e.g. my former hairdresser (nowadays I trim myself) used to comment the amount of fallen strands after every wash before the scissors. Every year she was worried about me whether I had stress or some illness causing the "abnormal" shed. Luckily not, just the average amount.

I don't have much trouble with tangles, either and I have low porosity, too. :)

Usually I do not shed that much, but when I do shed a little more than usual, my DBF gives me the, "Are you going bald?" when he sees hair all over the shower. :p

MinderMutsig
June 7th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Oh yay! I was wondering why there wasn't a thread like this on here. Turns out there is! :p

My hair is quite porous so I don't have to worry about over-conditioning. My hair slurps up anything.

I hardly ever get tangles or splits and if I do find a gnarly tangle there is always a split at the center of it. I've given up on S&D because I was going cross-eyed trying to see my very thin and very blond ends. The only S&D-ing I do these days is when I find a nasty tangle. I just grab hold of it, go get the scissors, work the tangle apart and snip the offending split.

The only problem I really do have is with my nape hairs. I've recently learned about 'the kitchen', which is apparently what African-Americans call they trouble areas (often at the nape or temples). I might be white as snow, of obvious Nordic decent and with no African roots in my lineage but I've got a kitchen.

The hair on my head is very fine but with the hair in my nape area is just plain ridiculous how fine it is, I've been trying to grow it out with the rest of my hair ever since the buzzcut and it just didn't work. It split like nothing else and broke off if anyone even looked at it. My hair has gone from buzzcut to BSL and those hairs were still only 2-4 inches long because they were riddled with splits. Eventually I decided to just cut them off as short as possible. At first I meant to keep them that short but then I read about 'the kitchen' and how kitchens need a lot of extra love and care to grow. So I implemented some of the most recommended things for the kitchen.

I pay extra attention to it when I oil my hair and I oil it more often. I use a heavier conditioner there so it doesn't get dried out. I'm very careful when I comb of brush my hair. I never ever ever put a towel on my head and then tuck one end under at the nape. I braid it when I wear my hair down so it doesn't get tangled with the rest of my hair. My nape hair is now about 1.5 inches long and there's not a split in sight yet. It's going to grow as long as the rest of my hair if it kills me!

PolarCathy
June 8th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I still don't know what my thickness is (f or m). Overall thickness is over 4" though.

Once I asked and I got contradictory replies. Some (mostly mixed race haired) people said "fine", other said solid medium.

I think based on this one there's no way I'm "fine":

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7214/7341925868_38cfccfe16_n.jpg (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7214/7341925868_99137e24b1_o.jpg)

Or here

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7241/7302488394_2a7a7475bc_n.jpg (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7241/7302488394_508348a71c_o.jpg)

Here it looks much finer though:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7080/7274366108_2c92d59f7c_n.jpg (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7080/7274366108_203b61fc39_o.jpg)

Whatever. I guess this is where I belong. Yes?

MsBubbles
June 8th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I don't belong in this thread, Polarcathy, but periodically I do the 'rolling a strand between your thumb and finger' test, just to see if by any luck, I have miraculously morphed into an M. But no. My strands are barely felt if I close my eyes and roll one of them between my thumb & finger. I don't have callused fingertips, either. I just have really fine strands. Perhaps that helps?

Oh! And by the way, this thread is for people with a lot of fine strands (therefore creating a nice thick head of hair), rather than people with both fine and medium strands on the same head, if that makes sense. Florenonite meant, for example, someone with 1a/F/iii hair.

PolarCathy
June 8th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I don't belong in this thread, Polarcathy, but periodically I do the 'rolling a strand between your thumb and finger' test, just to see if by any luck, I have miraculously morphed into an M. But no. My strands are barely felt if I close my eyes and roll one of them between my thumb & finger. I don't have callused fingertips, either. I just have really fine strands. Perhaps that helps?

Oh! And by the way, this thread is for people with a lot of fine strands (therefore creating a nice thick head of hair), rather than people with both fine and medium strands on the same head, if that makes sense. Florenonite meant, for example, someone with 1a/F/iii hair.

Yo, what I meant is that in case people here say "f" (I'm hoping to get some help for hairtyping, that is...), I consider myself belonging here. If they say "m" though, I go away. :rolling: :rolling:

P.S. I do feel my strands when rolling them between fingers. Also they are easily visible on the floor, in the bath, everywhere. But it's not necessarily because they are "m" let alone "c", but rather because I have a very wiry texture somehow.

MsBubbles
June 8th, 2012, 11:08 AM
But the fact that it's wiry might make it at least an M.

PolarCathy
June 8th, 2012, 11:09 AM
But the fact that it's wiry might make it at least an M.

Might.. :cool:

But honestly what does it look like IYO? The photos are clickable.

MsBubbles
June 8th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Might! Exactly. Because I don't know. :lol:

I really can't tell from the photos. Perhaps somebody else can. I looked in your albums for a hair-down shot, and from those, it doesn't look fine, to me. It looks more M or even C.

PolarCathy
June 8th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Might! Exactly. Because I don't know. :lol:

I really can't tell from the photos. Perhaps somebody else can. I looked in your albums for a hair-down shot, and from those, it doesn't look fine, to me. It looks more M or even C.

You see my problem? I don't know either and people here on LHC have said everything from f/m to m/c. Especially if they look at my hairline (I have very fine hair on my temples) they get confused (so do I). I belong... nowhere on these boards?!

Ostelot
June 8th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Yo, what I meant is that in case people here say "f" (I'm hoping to get some help for hairtyping, that is...), I consider myself belonging here. If they say "m" though, I go away. :rolling: :rolling:

PolarCathy, I'd suggest you read through this thread. After that you can decide whether you have similar hair problems/features to other posters or not.

In my opinion the hair typing isn't so serious. I also have both F and M strands in my head, or just can't choose one of them to my classification. Whatever the case, I find this thread and its advice very useful and stay here anyway. :D

Also your living environment effects on hair typing. For example, if everybody else there have fine hair, you can easily think a little bit coarser strands are already C. But among the whole diversity of heads, you can be actually M. Or vice versa, among the C hairs M head can feel so fine that classifies his/her hair to F. After all, the Fia's hair typing is just a tool, not something to worried about so much. Especially because it lacks some properties like hair porosity and resistance. Even the so called hair twins (according to the Fia's system) may have different acting hair.

MissManda, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one with low porosity here. The feature has its pros and cons, more volume would be welcome at least to my head. But sometimes I'm very happy to have non-tangling and soft hair.

MissManda
June 8th, 2012, 11:45 AM
PolarCathy, I think your hair looks like M or M/C texture. My DBF's hair looks similar to yours. He can get his hair fairly smooth, but when you look at it (even in photos), you can still kind of see the individual strands, whereas when my F hair doesn't show the individual strands as much and is very, very smooth. It might be because my hair goes straight very easily, though. :p

I understand your confusion since I was unsure of my strand thickness for a while. I decided that my hair must be F because even though I can feel my individual strands between my fingers, it kind of has a barely-there, um, presence. When my hair is frizzy, it kind of feels like candyfloss or baby duck fluff.

The most recent confirmation that my hair is F was when my Art instructor was talking about her hair type after she'd gotten her hair cut from TBL to a pixie. She was explaining the difference between thick and coarse when she stood by my seat, examined my head, and said, "My hair is very coarse. Ten or more of MissManda's hairs is equal to one of mine." :lol: Even with my not-so-great eyesight, her individual hairs were very visible from a long distance.

You know your hair best, though. Your camera might be higher quality than mine. :p

ETA: Yes, I love having low porosity because the softness and shine is just glorious. :D But yeah, I have my days where my hair is too icky-looking because I accidentally over-conditioned it. The best way that I get volume is washing my hair right before going to bed with wet hair. Ever since I started using shampoo bars, my hair has gotten pretty huge at the roots, which is where I have the least amount of volume. I also get better volume if I skip the comb or Tangle Teezer and fingercomb only. I know it is not the most appealing option for some since it could cause bad tangles, but it works for me.

If I want to wear my hair in braid waves, I also make sure to fingercomb only before I braid, too. I still get volume from braidwaves if I use my TT or wide-toothed comb, but the roots will be flatter if I use them. :shrug:

prettyhairisred
June 8th, 2012, 12:45 PM
My hair gets overloaded on product SO easily. Then it looks stringy. But if I don't put on enough it puffs up to look like Hermine Granger in the first Harry potter movie! (saw that last night with my bf ^.^) it's really hard to deal with, so I admit I just straighten it a lot to look nice.

I get so many compliments when I have long thick straight hair. It's hard on the hair though :( drying. My bf even prefers it straight. It's really the only thing to do to control my enormous mass of hair. I hated the stylist that layers all my volume out!!

Phalaenopsis
June 8th, 2012, 01:16 PM
You see my problem? I don't know either and people here on LHC have said everything from f/m to m/c. Especially if they look at my hairline (I have very fine hair on my temples) they get confused (so do I). I belong... nowhere on these boards?!

Everyone has finer hair on the hairline. It's like a transition zone. Going from no hair to a little fuzz to real hair.

And you are clearly a C by the way ;) Definitely not a F!

elbow chic
June 8th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I'm definitely here. It's fine like you expect blond hair to be, but there is a simply outrageous amount of it. ;)

I try to detangle very gently because it takes nothing to break strands but because there IS so much of it, it is a pretty hopeless task. :laugh: I'm basically resigned to a certain amount of breakage.

Also it matts up like nobody's business.

Basically I am just keeping it "contained" as much as is possible to minimize tangles.

IvanaGil
June 8th, 2012, 02:59 PM
This is definitely me! Yay!

MinderMutsig
June 8th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Everyone has finer hair on the hairline. It's like a transition zone. Going from no hair to a little fuzz to real hair.

And you are clearly a C by the way ;) Definitely not a F!I agree, I don't think it's fine but whether it's medium or course is hard to tell from photos. What I'd do is feel a strand again with the descriptions for fine, medium and course hair in front of you and also compare it to other peoples hair. Friends, family etc. That should give you a fair idea of what type you are.

It's not that you're not welcome here by the way. It's just that every hairtype has it's unique problems and solutions and if your hairtype is different this thread might not be particularly helpful to you and your solutions for dealing with your hair might not be helpful to us. That is the only reason we differentiate according to hairtype, to find stuff that works.

It's more complicated than just hair strand thickness though. For instance, most fine hairs have to be very careful about over-conditioning but my hair has high porosity so it slurps up treatments very easily and is not easily over-conditioned. I can work 1-2 tablespoons of oil in my BSL hair and you can hardly see I oiled it. I know a lot of finehairs can barely use a fingernails worth before their hair looks over-oiled. So some solutions that work for course haired people also work for me because my hair loves the thicker and richer treatments while those are not helpful for finehairs with low porosity. You may find tips here that work for you too but you're more likely to find those tips in a thread that is geared towards people with your hairtype.

I also have a lot in common with those other finehairs though, like the invisible strands of hair that wrap around our fingers when braiding. Hair that snaps instantly the second a comb or brush hits a tangle just because it's so fine you either don't feel the resistance or just not in time. The floaty thing our hair does at even the slightest breeze so our hair is everywhere except down. Which is especially annoying when there is so much of it.

PolarCathy
June 9th, 2012, 01:35 AM
I have read the thread and no, I don't seem to be fine-haired, based on the behavior of my hair. The most suspicious thing has always been that I can pull off about 2 tablespoons of castor oil on my head/roots and no one can tell it's there. I can go three days with reapplying a bit on my roots before I need to wash it out because it looks awful. I use straight castor oil on my ends. I also use heavy conditioners now as a leave-in (Mane 'n Tail).

However.. as to comparing it with others around me, not working; here I'm considered def on the coarser side. But then again, I'm in Sweden... Also I have no family here and Swedes... well I can never get within the right distance to inspect their hair from closer :D :D
Then I go home or have holiday somewhere and I just don't know - again. :o

Thanks for the individual replies, I don't know - after 1.5 years here - how to multi-quote.

Lady Neeva
June 11th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I go to constant battle with my hair, trying to part and untangle, only to end up in puff. Add greasiness to the bowl, and you'll end up with slippery hair that needs resetting every two hours. Any recommendations for a wood stick (or fork) that would hold in my fine, 4" circumf., greaseball of a mane ?

MissManda
June 12th, 2012, 12:52 AM
I don't really have that much success with things that resemble hairsticks. I will admit that I don't own any good-quality ones, though. :p

It seems that there are quite a few people who like Ketylos for hold. They have a nice spiral shape that makes it look like they'd stay in an updo more effectively.

I'm sure other F/iii members that have more experience with sticks will come along eventually. I think I could use similar advice. :lol:

What I do like are hairforks. I'm still a beginner and don't have a spectacular collection by any means, but when I can get my hair to stay in a bun, they hold like nothing else. They're even more secure than using 6 spin pins at once. I think the multiple prongs distribute the weight of the bun better and "grab" more hair.

I also like Flexi-8s, which I use like a hairstick. The 8 part helps to keep my updos under control so they don't fall apart like they usually would if I were using just one stick.

PolarCathy
June 12th, 2012, 12:57 AM
I go to constant battle with my hair, trying to part and untangle, only to end up in puff. Add greasiness to the bowl, and you'll end up with slippery hair that needs resetting every two hours. Any recommendations for a wood stick (or fork) that would hold in my fine, 4" circumf., greaseball of a mane ?

Have you seen the Hairtoy addicts thread? Have you tried braiding it and then put it up with a fork?

starry
June 12th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Mines about chin length now and growing!, water only washing has made a big difference to the manageability and quality of my fine and thick hair. wo washing tends to weigh down hair- so it looks straighter if its curly (as a side note).

I can tell though its going to be a frickin' nightmare to take care of and groom as it gets longer! I've switched to a horn comb and will do bbb brush once a week for circulation boosting-- its just too much to do bbb everyday especially as it gets longer- brushing it in layers. My hair is also 2b curly though so its better to use a comb to avoid the frizz, cowlicks and dodgy- straight hair.

they are some things that work for me :)

Lady Neeva
June 12th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Have you seen the Hairtoy addicts thread? Have you tried braiding it and then put it up with a fork?

Yep. I have lurked aplenty on there. The engima is that I do not know from which sellers I should buy from. (Most are in the ii category) Also not to my tastes.

Ookami
June 17th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Aaah that looks like a thread for me!!
My hair is not long enough to make a proper pony tail, most hairs are too short to be counted in so I marked ii but I definitely think I'll be ii/iii or iii
Fine and wavy/curly hair...

I've ALWAYS been told I have so thick/coarse, plenty of hair, I look like a fluff ball, a bit of wind or exercising and it goes up frizz frizz, gain in volume etc...
When I come with wet/damp hair in work my colleagues think I've cut/thin it out, but two hours later they get the proof it's still as usual :D
So during years I thought my hair is thick as coarse and in the last years I was more and more puzzled as single strands looked very fine to me...

I get the same breakage problem when I comb (I stopped completely brushes), because I either don't feel the tension when the comb hit a knot or too lately... I still need to find the right combing to be honest... strands manage to tangle in themselves, and a knot on single strands looks really odd as if someone intentionally knotted it...:confused:

Rinsing not well enough or applying too much oil/CO and it looks all unevenly flat and greasy...

Basically any day I never look "decent", "nice", "styled"...

MinderMutsig
June 17th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I have read the thread and no, I don't seem to be fine-haired, based on the behavior of my hair. The most suspicious thing has always been that I can pull off about 2 tablespoons of castor oil on my head/roots and no one can tell it's there. I can go three days with reapplying a bit on my roots before I need to wash it out because it looks awful. I use straight castor oil on my ends. I also use heavy conditioners now as a leave-in (Mane 'n Tail).

However.. as to comparing it with others around me, not working; here I'm considered def on the coarser side. But then again, I'm in Sweden... Also I have no family here and Swedes... well I can never get within the right distance to inspect their hair from closer :D :D
Then I go home or have holiday somewhere and I just don't know - again. :o

Thanks for the individual replies, I don't know - after 1.5 years here - how to multi-quote. Well, to complicate things further and increase the confusion... :o my fine thick hair can take a lot of oil too and loves heavy conditioners. Probably because it's fairly porous and curly. And since you (seem to) have wavy/curly hair too your hairs fondness of oils and heavy conditioners could just be a curly thing and not a fine or course thing.

Loviatar
June 18th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Lady Neeva - I am fond of the Chevelure spiral sticks from etsy. They are acrylic and their shape holds really well. Also, acrylic can be used in wet hair, oiled hair, conditioned hair, dry hair... it's a fab material.

Lady Neeva
June 18th, 2012, 09:15 PM
I wonder when they will start making forks again.

CocoBean
July 7th, 2012, 12:44 PM
So my question to all you lovely ladies with waist / hip / classic Fine and Thick hair:

Does the weight help the hair to hang down without being wispy and THICK looking? I have to braid or ponytail or bun my wet hair because it just becomes a wild wurly tangly mess... I'm really hoping as it gets longer, the weight will help it look better...any suggestions?

thanks!

Madora
July 7th, 2012, 12:50 PM
So my question to all you lovely ladies with waist / hip / classic Fine and Thick hair:

Does the weight help the hair to hang down without being wispy and THICK looking? I have to braid or ponytail or bun my wet hair because it just becomes a wild wurly tangly mess... I'm really hoping as it gets longer, the weight will help it look better...any suggestions?

thanks!

My hair is only medium fine, and when I was younger, very thick. If your hair is wurly when dry, it will still be wurly when it is longer...and the fighting with tangles will persist, unless you wear it up.

While braiding wet hair is all right (if not done too tightly), I'd definitely stay away from ponytailing when wet.

MissManda
July 7th, 2012, 01:03 PM

thanks!

Ever since I got rid of layers, my hair has been much more well-behaved. Before I had a blunt hemline, my hair would just fly everywhere in the slightest breeze, but now it doesn't do it at nearly the same magnitude. I think it's a combination of weight added by my hemline and more weight from the length. Even then, though, my hair can still get pretty huge sometimes and I'm roundabouts hip length.

I prefer to braid or bun my hair when it is wet or damp as well since I have so much more control over it that way.

CocoBean
July 10th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Ever since I got rid of layers, my hair has been much more well-behaved. Before I had a blunt hemline, my hair would just fly everywhere in the slightest breeze, but now it doesn't do it at nearly the same magnitude. I think it's a combination of weight added by my hemline and more weight from the length. Even then, though, my hair can still get pretty huge sometimes and I'm roundabouts hip length.

I prefer to braid or bun my hair when it is wet or damp as well since I have so much more control over it that way.

Yes, I agree, MissManda, layers don't work, certainly not for me either. Your hair sounds very fine, I'm hopeful the length will help it lay better, I find using flax seed gel helps too, the CG method.

lundmir
July 11th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Oooh I'm happy I found this thread! I've been hanging out on the fine/thin thread, but fine and thick is a different beast.

Although, I cut bangs into my hair, and that ate some of the thickness. I think it left me a ii denomination.

red-again
July 11th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Polarcathy, I have ii/iii hair but defo f not m. When first on here I thought it was a f/m and a ii so I agree it is confusing.
Like you I can see the strands clearly on a lighter background but thats because they are basically black. If I hold one to the light, it is quite see through though, well not really see through but hard to make out if that makes sense!
I think with dark hair, it is always going to be visible so I rely on the roll test, I can hardly feel my hair when doing this. That for me puts me firmly in the f category. Just from looking at your pics, even the third one you look very top end of m, so m/c but I'd go with c too.I know that means you don't fit on this partic thread but on the big upside, your hair is absolutely lovely!

PolarCathy
July 11th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Polarcathy, I have ii/iii hair but defo f not m. When first on here I thought it was a f/m and a ii so I agree it is confusing.
Like you I can see the strands clearly on a lighter background but thats because they are basically black. If I hold one to the light, it is quite see through though, well not really see through but hard to make out if that makes sense!
I think with dark hair, it is always going to be visible so I rely on the roll test, I can hardly feel my hair when doing this. That for me puts me firmly in the f category. Just from looking at your pics, even the third one you look very top end of m, so m/c but I'd go with c too.I know that means you don't fit on this partic thread but on the big upside, your hair is absolutely lovely!

Thanks for yout input!

When I registered, I set myself to m/c, ii/iii. Then I uploaded some pics and (several months later) I asked people to hairtype me. (I didn't open a thread; it was a few pics in my albums.) About half of them told me I'm a finey. The other half couldn't decide if it was f/m or m. Only one person said m/c. This is just based on photos, not how it feels to me (coarse). As far as I can remember, and I will see that tomorrow again because she comes, my mom has at least 3-4 times thicker strands. Like one shed hair that's 3" short I can spot from meters on the floor. Not kidding :) Like wire. I will check that tomorrow by the way not that I'm interested in hair. As a kid and teenager I didn't find it something I wanted to have but now I think I'd trade with her. And then I live in Sweden surrounded by superfine (translucent fine blonde) haired folks. This makes comparison next to impossible for me.

BrownEyedBeauty
July 25th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Count me in for fine and thick hair. I like how my hair does not feel heavy so I don't suffer from headaches. It is also very smooth and shiny. I am not balding or shedding but for those who are, you won't see the scalp as quickly due to the higher volume of hair on the head.

It can go a bit limp the day after washing it. Somebody else had mentioned that S&D takes a lot longer and I found that to be true. It is also more easily prone to damage.

Arya
July 27th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Any tips on how to make our fine thick hair actually LOOK thick? Or get it to stay up? It's hip length now, and my wurly curly friends all still have bigger buns than me.

I'm almost rethinking my hair length. It only looks great when it's down, but then it gets horribly tangled. It looks the same as it did at WL or BSL when it's up, because there's just no volume to my hair. It also slides down much easier. I thought when I got to hip/tailbone length I would be able to do all the cool buns and updos most LHC ladies can do with one hairstick. It's like..what's the point of having long hair, when it's fine, tangly, and heavy? :(

Sarahlabyrinth
July 27th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Ooh, this is me! I definitely get the tangles around nape if I wear my hair loose for more than an hour or so. And the flatness on top. But I love the soft silkiness, and I condition really heavily to reduce the frizz, then when dry add 2-3 drops of oil.

I nearly always wear it up do reduce damage.:cheese:

An afterthought: You know those short hairs at the nape 3-4 inches long which aren't long enough to go into an updo? I get those tangling all the time.

I noticed in the shower just now that they don't fit into my shower cap either so when I wash my neck they get covered in soap which probably dries them out. Do you all have that problem?

hafattack
August 7th, 2012, 04:38 PM
very probable... I believe the same thing happens when I was my face and a little water and soap will get on the hairs framing my face.

Is anyone else finding S&D a total nightmare? There is a TON of hair to go through, and I am finding more and more splits. It's discouraging as I am currently taking good care of my hair.. Is it because it is so fine? (I have just been introduced to the idea that fine hair splits sooner than coarse) Also the hairs can often be hard to grab.. they are sneaky little houdini's!

moxamoll
August 7th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Oh hey! This is me! Why haven't I seen this thread before?

Although, I grew up with everyone telling me how thick my hair is, and then I get here to find that I'm really only moderately thick! What a blow to the ego. :p Now I will go read all 20+ pages.

sharonluvscats
August 7th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Oh hey! This is me! Why haven't I seen this thread before?

Although, I grew up with everyone telling me how thick my hair is, and then I get here to find that I'm really only moderately thick! What a blow to the ego. :p Now I will go read all 20+ pages.

You're hair still looks amazing. I love all the braids in your album. Just gorgeous.

Madora
August 7th, 2012, 06:56 PM
very probable... I believe the same thing happens when I was my face and a little water and soap will get on the hairs framing my face.

Is anyone else finding S&D a total nightmare? There is a TON of hair to go through, and I am finding more and more splits. It's discouraging as I am currently taking good care of my hair.. Is it because it is so fine? (I have just been introduced to the idea that fine hair splits sooner than coarse) Also the hairs can often be hard to grab.. they are sneaky little houdini's!

RE: splits

Sounds to me like you have a moisture problem. Splits are due to either lack of moisture or mechanical damage.

Mineral oil helps keep moisture in your hair longer, plus leaves your hair soft, shiny and supple. It is also a great detangler and helps tame frizzies. More info here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=225 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225)

You also might be interested in reading about using catnip rinses to combat the splits:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=118 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118)

As far as mechanical damage is concerned, be sure that your comb is a wide tooth one, and free of seams.

If you brush, be sure you detangle your hair first!

As far as S and Ding...it can drive you crazy! If you have to many of them at the ends, then perhaps a slight trim would be easier than trying to snip them individually.

Be sure your S and D scissors are SHARP. If they are dull, you'll just be giving yourself another crop of white dots, which lead to splits.

Bottom line: it is best to be proactive and keep your hair moisturized and prevent the splits from proliferating.

Good luck!

moxamoll
August 7th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks sharonluvscats! As much as it would be fun to toss off "oh yeah, I have a 6" pony tail circumference" and watch people's jaws drop - I just can't imagine having that much hair. I think if my bangs were grown out, I'd probably be a solid iii but I'm not going to all that work just to check! I love braiding and it's nice to have my work appreciated. :D

AMD
August 8th, 2012, 09:33 PM
OMG my people, I have found you! I can't believe that I'm now seeing this. Must start from beginning..

kittykat86
August 10th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I have fine hair that tangles if you look at it wrong. But I have a lot of it. I figured that out when I ordered my Flexi-8s. I had to send back two of them and get a bigger size.

Kittykins
August 10th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Has anyone got any ideas for updos for thick midback length hair? I can do a peacock twist, various ponytails, an English braid, milkmaid braids, a sock bun, rope braid, a cinnabun with the ends sticking out and a Chinese bun. I am also growing out layers, that shortest of which is armpit length. I can't seem to get hair sticks to work for me at this stage and I can't do some buns which others can do at this length like the nautilus. :justy:

domisimone
August 10th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Fine hair prone to splits and breakage, but so thick it breaks all my hair toys! This is where I belong!
Does anyone have any tips for perfecting moisture/protein balance? I can't figure out if my hair is breaking because it needs more moisture of because the strands are so delicate.

Madora
August 11th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Has anyone got any ideas for updos for thick midback length hair? I can do a peacock twist, various ponytails, an English braid, milkmaid braids, a sock bun, rope braid, a cinnabun with the ends sticking out and a Chinese bun. I am also growing out layers, that shortest of which is armpit length. I can't seem to get hair sticks to work for me at this stage and I can't do some buns which others can do at this length like the nautilus. :justy:

This might be of interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

3 strand lace braids can be used the same way.

You might also want to try the Gibson Tuck:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=49

MidnightStar
August 11th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Hooray for this thread!

Me Too! Very Fine & Lots of it! My hair fluffs out but the pony tail circumference is only 3" about the size of a US Quarter (I had to measure - 30 years - Draftsman/CAD Tech – just can’t help myself).
I have problems w/ always getting a "Rats Nest" underneath back of my neck. I have to brush it regularly. I usually oil a little underneath which helps some. When I was youngster my dad used to call me hazel brush!
I used to do the pony tail thing but then with fine hair you always have the top layers breaking @ the ponytail line. I now wear it in one back braid when I work out, or I am doing house work - less breakage then a ponytail – at least not all in one spot/line!

Yes, these are both me! I always thought I had pretty thin hair, but since I've been taking better care of it my ponytail's measuring in at just over 4 inches. Explains why even with BCL length hair I have a difficult time with certain buns...anyway, I am happy this thread exists!
My hair tangles like there's no tomorrow, I usually wear it up and/or carry around hairsticks in my purse because of it. Recently I discovered Dabur Vatika coconut oil...I think others have had issues with it but it seems to be doing nice things for my hair. But I still can't use very much of it, or it'll go greasy.
Does anyone else find that because their hair is fine, they have to clarify more often? It seems like I'm clarifying once every couple of weeks or so. My hair is pretty oily on its own though, so that could be why. Just curious.
Subscribing! :D

Iaine
August 11th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Fine hair prone to splits and breakage, but so thick it breaks all my hair toys! This is where I belong!
Does anyone have any tips for perfecting moisture/protein balance? I can't figure out if my hair is breaking because it needs more moisture of because the strands are so delicate.

If your hair is a bit sensitive to protein, then Giovanni's Smooth as Silk Xtreme Protein Hair Infusion might be something you'd like to try. It leaves my feeling strong and soft at the same time.

Iaine
August 11th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I can't believe I just stumbled on this thread. My hair dresser has always been surprised by the fact that my hair appears to be a lot denser than it really is. My ponytails measure around 3-3.5", but the rest of my hair puffs out of it. Usually, I braid my hair after I wash it to take down some of the volume, but I'm still trying to find a happy medium between my hair looking too flat, or too thick.

louzen
August 12th, 2012, 06:27 PM
This is me!! Hairdressers and my mum always used to comment on how my hair was thick - but my hair strands are SUPER fine. So fine that sometimes you can't even see the shed hairs. I've lost some thickness over the years due to scalp problems, but God willing it's growing back now

CONS:

* I only have to turn my head and my hair tangles. It takes me 30 minutes to detangle every night, no matter how much I condition :rolleyes:
* Hair strands wrap around fingers when you're combing/styling without you feeling it and which means you accidentally pull out hairs easily :mad:
* If I don't brush my hair for a day, it ends up a massive birds nest
* Hair snaps really really easily. I have to handle my hair like a china doll to decrease breakage, but still can't stop it happening completely no matter how gentle I am
* Hair strands wrap around scrunchies/elastics which makes it hard to remove them without causing breakage

PROS:

* Soft and silky hair :)

I was wondering, do any of you use a BBB? I have been using it for a while but I'm wondering whether it's been doing more harm than good and whether it's suited for our hair type. I think it roughens my hair up a bit

Madora
August 12th, 2012, 06:52 PM
This is me!! Hairdressers and my mum always used to comment on how my hair was thick - but my hair strands are SUPER fine. So fine that sometimes you can't even see the shed hairs. I've lost some thickness over the years due to scalp problems, but God willing it's growing back now

CONS:

* I only have to turn my head and my hair tangles. It takes me 30 minutes to detangle every night, no matter how much I condition :rolleyes:
* Hair strands wrap around fingers when you're combing/styling without you feeling it and which means you accidentally pull out hairs easily :mad:
* If I don't brush my hair for a day, it ends up a massive birds nest
* Hair snaps really really easily. I have to handle my hair like a china doll to decrease breakage, but still can't stop it happening completely no matter how gentle I am
* Hair strands wrap around scrunchies/elastics which makes it hard to remove them without causing breakage

PROS:

* Soft and silky hair :)

I was wondering, do any of you use a BBB? I have been using it for a while but I'm wondering whether it's been doing more harm than good and whether it's suited for our hair type. I think it roughens my hair up a bit

My hair is moderately fine and I brush with a bbb every day. It is HOW you use the brush that makes all the difference.

Maybe
August 12th, 2012, 07:25 PM
My hair is very fine. But right on 4" pony circumference. It's kind of a pain, I can't really do any professional looking updos at this point. It's very soft though.

Hairdressers have always exclaimed over how thick it is.

simulacrum
August 13th, 2012, 09:43 PM
OMG, my people! I only recently realized that this was why my hair is so nutty... My mom has thin, fine hair so I always thought that isn't my hair type... yeah, I have thick, fine hair. Reading through this and looking at other people's pics - this is me!

MinderMutsig, I think you may be my hair twin! My hair is also very porous and can't get enough moisture.

I don't usually use heat at all anymore, but when I have gone to the salon in the past, I remember how long it would take for the hairdresser to dry my hair - when I used to blow-dry myself, I would wait until it was 95% dry and then use the heat more to tame it than dry it because drying from wet would probably literally take an hour.

I do OK with a BBB as long as I detangle first and keep another brush or comb on-hand to get out any tangles that form as I go. It's good to distribute moisture to dry ends in my experience, but I'm not a devotee.

Uhlizubeth
August 22nd, 2012, 11:10 PM
This is me! I am sooo happy that so many others share the same type of dense tangly mess as me :D

HarpAndLyre
August 24th, 2012, 06:20 PM
SO glad I found this thread! I've always thought my hair was coarse, because it's so full of volume and thick. I described it to my husband as "mountains and mountains of hair", lol, but when I pull it into a pony tail, the circumference is actually not that large.

When my hair is perfectly balanced (a very hard task) it is so silky, light, and bouncy but the slightest amount over conditioned and it's heavy and lank, and with too little conditioning it's dry and poofy. THE TANGLES ARE THE WORST!!! I went silicone free for a while and it got so bad by the end of the day, I had little dreaded locks. The place I work now is built where a lot of wind flows through and it is so windy that my hair has just been a nightmare. Going back to silicones has helped with that, but it has to be light and moisturizing. Today I was actually able to finger comb it with ease, but it's still frustrating.

I would suggest the Tangle Teezer to everyone on this board, that has helped me a lot. I got mine at Target, but I've seen it online too. Another thing that has helped me is I've tried to look and aspire to hair pictures that are like mine, because it keeps my expectations in check. It doesn't do me any good to have a goal picture of hair that has smaller, tighter waves that's almost more thin, when I have hair that has full body waves, and is thick. I'm learning to love my hair type, because by loving it's natural texture it will look it's best, and thus I will look my best. I do like admiring all kinds of hair though :)

Arya
August 26th, 2012, 07:26 PM
My people!! I just came up with a cool idea that you guys might like.I know a lot of us deal with nape tangling or damage on our underlayer, or just can't wear it down because it tangles too much.

I had my hair in a half updo yesterday, but I was getting annoyed. The underlayer was tangling, and doesn't look as nice as my canopy. So I thought, what if I put my underlayer up and leave my canopy down?

I took my underlayer, combed it out a bit, and then made a part at the back, splitting it into two. I let my canopy down, and wrapped the two underlayer sections up and around my canopy (so the canopy was hanging down like a ponytail). I did a figure 8 bun with just the underlayer. It had a really nice effect! It looked like a half updo/ponytail, and my tangly underlayer was up and protected.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 27th, 2012, 11:24 AM
My people!! I just came up with a cool idea that you guys might like.I know a lot of us deal with nape tangling or damage on our underlayer, or just can't wear it down because it tangles too much.

I had my hair in a half updo yesterday, but I was getting annoyed. The underlayer was tangling, and doesn't look as nice as my canopy. So I thought, what if I put my underlayer up and leave my canopy down?

I took my underlayer, combed it out a bit, and then made a part at the back, splitting it into two. I let my canopy down, and wrapped the two underlayer sections up and around my canopy (so the canopy was hanging down like a ponytail). I did a figure 8 bun with just the underlayer. It had a really nice effect! It looked like a half updo/ponytail, and my tangly underlayer was up and protected.

That sounds like a great idea - photos please!

HarpAndLyre
August 27th, 2012, 05:48 PM
So maybe you all can help me......

I am pulling my hair out (literally) trying to find a solution for my hair. I am at the point I always get to before I chop my hair off and I never made the connection that it is probably from all the tangles and frustration that comes with fine and thick hair.

Here are ALL the methods I have tried for a period of time:

Regular shampoo and condition - dry, poofy hair (frequency maybe? pre-lhc days)
Shampoo bars - gunky, waxy, dry hair.

Baking Soda/Vinegar - Dry, dull, waxy hair.

Conditioner Only - dull, limp, gunky hair (even when thoroughly set and rinsed)

Silicone's in conditioners - Hair looks amazing right after wash, is light, bouncy, shiny and tangle free, the next day my hair feels like doll hair and is stick straight, with no movement, so I strip it and have to start over.

Sulfate free - dull, stringy, limp hair (but less itchy)

I've done a lot of research on our water's hardness, and even though we have harder water where we live, our city water is not that bad.

And the ONLY thing that seems to actually work is using a silver dollar size (or more) of some sort of CLEAR shampoo with sulfates, but it is a VERY touchy balance. Too much, my hair is dry and poofy (I even air dry and don't touch) and scalp is itchy, too little and it's heavy and limp, and the perfect amount it's lovely and smooth. This also depends on the correct balance of conditioner. I've seen my hair maybe only be this way 3 times in my life, so I know it's possible, and that is how I know how wrong it is when my hair is so dull and lifeless. Something is not right.

This really is maddening :brickwall I'm all for using whatever way works that will help my hair be it's best. I've accepted that I don't have thin hair (I actually like the look of thinner hair) and I am choosing to accept my natural full bodied hair, as I know I should be thankful. I know that if I can learn how to balance my hair's stripping/moisture balance it will be lovely long, but this is getting so hard.

Does it work for anyone else using an obscene amount of shampoo?

Any routines or advice from my fellow fine and thick haired tribe? Thanks in advance :)

lapushka
August 27th, 2012, 06:41 PM

I am pulling my hair out (literally) trying to find a solution for my hair. I am at the point I always get to before I chop my hair off and I never made the connection that it is probably from all the tangles and frustration that comes with fine and thick hair.

Silicone's in conditioners - Hair looks amazing right after wash, is light, bouncy, shiny and tangle free, the next day my hair feels like doll hair and is stick straight, with no movement, so I strip it and have to start over.

I've done a lot of research on our water's hardness, and even though we have harder water where we live, our city water is not that bad.

And the ONLY thing that seems to actually work is using a silver dollar size (or more) of some sort of CLEAR shampoo with sulfates, but it is a VERY touchy balance. Too much, my hair is dry and poofy (I even air dry and don't touch) and scalp is itchy, too little and it's heavy and limp, and the perfect amount it's lovely and smooth. This also depends on the correct balance of conditioner. I've seen my hair maybe only be this way 3 times in my life, so I know it's possible, and that is how I know how wrong it is when my hair is so dull and lifeless. Something is not right.

This really is maddening :brickwall I'm all for using whatever way works that will help my hair be it's best. I've accepted that I don't have thin hair (I actually like the look of thinner hair) and I am choosing to accept my natural full bodied hair, as I know I should be thankful. I know that if I can learn how to balance my hair's stripping/moisture balance it will be lovely long, but this is getting so hard.

Any routines or advice from my fellow fine and thick haired tribe? Thanks in advance :)

Seems so odd to me that a tiny bit more or less shampoo can make such a dramatic difference. :confused:

By what you're saying, I really wouldn't know *what* to do either.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 27th, 2012, 06:55 PM
HarpandLyre, I don't know what to suggest that might help you. Other than to say that your hair looks fine in your picture..

Vrindi
August 27th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Yay! More people with my issue! Lots and lots of fine hair! I'm very happy I have lots of it though, but it's hard to find hair toys. Either my fine hair slips out, because it's for thicker hairs, or I break the toy because it isn't meant for so much hair!

Elithia
August 27th, 2012, 07:13 PM
This is me, too! Curly, fine, thick -- I'm past hip and can just barely start to manage a nautilus.

Hairizona
August 28th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I think I qualify for this thread...I can relate to what HarpAndLyre said...
When I started my journey in Nov 2005, my hair was 19.5 " and very damaged from bleach and hair color; I had recently started to henna my hair just prior to joining. As my hair got longer over the next year and somewhere in that time period the thread started (2006-2007 or 2008 ) about measuring ponytail circumference) I measured my ponytail circumference to be ii/iii according to the set standard on LHC at this time, which stated that you DO NOT compress the ponytail. Now, it seems that this has changed, with newer members stating that the ponytail is to be compressed by an elastic or by whatever- tape measure etc. THIS method now puts me at the upper end of ii in thickness.
I also have more compression of my hair depending upon the shampoo used as well as how much moisture is or is not in the shampoo.
My hair is now hanging so much heavier (therefore morecompressed) due to the length at 42" compared to above waist length. I began to notice and pay attention to this a year ago when it was at BCL. I have spent the last year cutting back at classic length to increase the thickness on the ends (classic at 40.5")
So I have accepted that my hair is fine and thick, but I think the ii vs ii/iii classifications having been altered since they first came out on LHC (which only affect some people here) have caused confusion on this issue for some people.

wookermuffin
August 28th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I get to join this thread! My hair is practically the only thing that signifies my multiethnic background: curly and thick from my puerto rican mother, and fine from my caucasian father. Over all I love my hair, it's soft and it looks nice when I wear it down. On the other hand, though, it knots so easily, and breaks at what seems like the slightest tug.

cwarren
August 28th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Fine/thick hair combo checking in! My hair is dry and porous, but hates too much product, tangles easily and breaks even when I'm careful.

I always thought I had coarse hair because my shed hairs are easy to see and I can "feel" an individual strand when I roll it between my fingers. But when I compared my hair to my sister's (indestructible) hair, I noticed that my strands are much smaller than hers.

I guess my mistake came from a) ASSuming all African Americans have medium or coarse hair and b) not knowing enough about my hair type. After doing research on curly hair, I found that I could feel my hair strand because it has an oval/flat shape (compared to the perfectly round shape straight of hair) and that my hair would not roll as smoothly between my fingers as someone who had round (1a/1b) hair. It's irregular shape makes it easier to feel during the roll test :P

Elithia
August 29th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I guess my mistake came from a) ASSuming all African Americans have medium or coarse hair and b) not knowing enough about my hair type. After doing research on curly hair, I found that I could feel my hair strand because it has an oval/flat shape (compared to the perfectly round shape straight of hair) and that my hair would not roll as smoothly between my fingers as someone who had round (1a/1b) hair. It's irregular shape makes it easier to feel during the roll test :P

Oh! Total light bulb moment. I know my hair's fine -- baby-fine -- but I've always been able to feel it between my fingers, too. That makes so much sense!

domisimone
August 29th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Oh! Total light bulb moment. I know my hair's fine -- baby-fine -- but I've always been able to feel it between my fingers, too. That makes so much sense!

Yeah same here! I can feel my strands easily, but they're still very thin and I can only see them against light backgrounds!

HarpAndLyre
August 29th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I tried some honey mixed with my shampoo tonight and so far my hair feels a lot better. I did a porosity test and apparently I have extremely low-porosity hair. It's all virgin now, fine, and I don't ever use heat, so it seems everything just sits on top of it. I did some research and some things said that since honey is a humectant, it could help bring moisture to less porous hair. My scalp is calm, hair is moist and soft, but not too greasy....I'm going to keep trying this when I wash, and try washing less frequently. I think that will help. I have a hair goal picture on my mirror, I just keep looking at it everyday saying "Don't give up! You'll get there!" :)

Sarahlabyrinth
August 30th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I tried some honey mixed with my shampoo tonight and so far my hair feels a lot better. I did a porosity test and apparently I have extremely low-porosity hair. It's all virgin now, fine, and I don't ever use heat, so it seems everything just sits on top of it. I did some research and some things said that since honey is a humectant, it could help bring moisture to less porous hair. My scalp is calm, hair is moist and soft, but not too greasy....I'm going to keep trying this when I wash, and try washing less frequently. I think that will help. I have a hair goal picture on my mirror, I just keep looking at it everyday saying "Don't give up! You'll get there!" :)

Just be patient and kind to your hair and you will get there!:)

SlipJig
September 11th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Y'all are my tribe!

More or less, anyhow. But, having stumbled upon and read this thread after a couple hairdressers told me I had loads of fine hair, things are starting to make sense to me.

Things like why did my hair, though thick, always seem to kinda start slipping out of a ponytail (back in the day, when it was long enough to pony.... I miss those days)? Why do clips always seem to slip out? And, if I over-condition, do not add texture to my hair by encouraging the wavies or adding dry shampoo, or brush, etc. I end up with a heavy hank or sheet of, um, very relaxed (limp sounds so critical) silken stuff on my head. And sometimes if I brush, even gently, I get the BOOM/light socket effect, too, just like many of you.

I have an old ponytail hanging around (creepy, sentimental, or both?) from before I pixied, very tight, measures 3.5" around, but I also had thick bangs left out so I was probably a 4" and a solid ii/iii. Whether I am F or F/M I know not; though I can feel my hairs, I have pansyishly soft little fingers, and my hairs are certainly finer than any cotton thread.

I am interested in seeing my ponytail circumference when I can pony up again, though I think it is the same as before. I have no idea what my number + letter hairtype is, as at chin length it is awkward and hard to tell, but when I know I will be rifling through here for more tips.

I am happy to discover you all, though! This thread is a font of information; good to know others share in the slight irritations and great positives of this sort of hair (must look on the bright side. There is lots to love about fine and thick hair.).

pink.sara
September 12th, 2012, 03:51 AM

Hiya, I have the same problems, CO leaves my hair limp, too much shampoo leaves my hair dry at the ends and puffy. My routine now consists of sort of a CWC.

I condition the ends when dry and about 5 minutes before I wash with tresemme naturals cone free conditioner, then I get in the shower and wet it trying not to rinse too much out or agitate it lots, and then use diluted shampoo on my scalp only, like 2 squirts or a tablespoon or 2 diluted in a mug. The suds run to the ends and then I condition again, sometimes with a dimethicone conditioner which doesn't build up, sometimes cone free.

If I get build up I clarify once every few months with a mix of shampoo and bicarbonate of soda.

This stops the second day being greasy or being dry. HTH!

hairhair
September 12th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Shedding with this hair type: does anyone else get massive sheds if they turn their head upside down with their hair out? I tried the upside-down scalp massage and it must have tangled or something because I got HUGE sheds. Either that or my enormous mane is hiding hundreds of shed hairs that are only released by this movement...

hairhair
September 12th, 2012, 04:38 AM
I noticed in the shower just now that they don't fit into my shower cap either so when I wash my neck they get covered in soap which probably dries them out. Do you all have that problem?

I put a stretchy headband around my head, then put the shower cap over that (I also put my ponytail in a claw clip hold). I also use the ponytail/headband for face washing, etc.

wandlimb
September 12th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Can I join please? I have lots of hair but it's fine and so slippy my mum always says that hairslides live up to their name with me!

pink.sara
September 12th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Transparent hair....

Do any of you notice that in pictures your hair looks transparent?! I've been looking back through my pics and realising in almost every one my hair kind of blurs at the edges??
How weird I just realised this.

domisimone
September 13th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Transparent hair....

Do any of you notice that in pictures your hair looks transparent?! I've been looking back through my pics and realising in almost every one my hair kind of blurs at the edges??
How weird I just realised this.

My hair is had to photograph, but I always attributed it to the texture. It doesn't quite look transparent, just . . . off. I don't really know how to describe it.

pink.sara
September 14th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Also, back with another question for you guys! Sorry!

Doors anyone have fairytale ends or really deep V or U layering? I've been trying to razor my hair enough to make a deep V possible, it's BSL at the moment and had been blunt cut since shoulder so I've cut lots of it out, but it still looks blunt :(

Any hints of how to cut this into your own hair? Or am I destined to go to the dreaded hairdresser !

lapushka
September 14th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Also, back with another question for you guys! Sorry!

Doors anyone have fairytale ends or really deep V or U layering? I've been trying to razor my hair enough to make a deep V possible, it's BSL at the moment and had been blunt cut since shoulder so I've cut lots of it out, but it still looks blunt :(

Any hints of how to cut this into your own hair? Or am I destined to go to the dreaded hairdresser !

Feye's trimming method shows how to do a deep V.

Madora
September 14th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Here's Feye's V method:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=196

pink.sara
September 14th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Feye's trimming method shows how to do a deep V.

Here's Feye's V method:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=196

Ah, that's brilliant thank you lapushka and madora for some reason I had it in my head Feyes method was straight or a slight U.

I'll brave the scissors tomorrow :)

Winnie!
September 22nd, 2012, 01:26 PM
Hello all! I have a question for all of you fellow fineys with thick hair. My hair is almost BSL and I find buns are challenging. Everything I try my hair rejects, particularly the pencil bun. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

lapushka
September 22nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
Hello all! I have a question for all of you fellow fineys with thick hair. My hair is almost BSL and I find buns are challenging. Everything I try my hair rejects, particularly the pencil bun. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

At BSL, there were a lot of buns I couldn't do. It's just the way it is. I wore a peacock twist (doubly wrapped) for a long long time, still do as a matter of fact, and I'm now past hip length. Maybe try a lazy wrap bun, see if that helps.

Olafwa
September 22nd, 2012, 03:45 PM
Hmm, I'm right on that edge of wondering weather I have thick thin hair or not. :D I have found this thread useful though! So, I'll post and subscribe anyway. Hehehe.

My hair tangles so easily I can't leave it down anymore. When it was hip/tb length I let it down a lot but these days it's just not worth it. Even just doing an up-do can get it all tangled together. It loves to stick to stuff. I also have trouble with things slipping out of my hair. Bobby pins even! Metal hair sticks just don't cut it anymore.

I have found that the less I wash, the happier my hair is. >.< I'm down to washing once a month, and my hair is pretty happy. It gets all unruly that last week, but otherwise it likes being left alone. I don't really have any curls/waves so that's not an issue for me. I noticed it is for lots of girls. Though any artificial curls I do fall right out that day. The only thing that lasts are braid waves. Even then, barely. Heat is death on my hair, so curling iron is out. The last time I used one, the results were really bad. Any sleep in curls fall right out as well. I have had more luck with the smaller curls, but then you just have a big frizzy mess for the day. :p

I've tried U hemlines and V hemlines as well as having bangs for a while. None of them looked good. (Though to be fair, I didn't like the bangs more for the fact of my face shape than the hair itself.) So, no bangs and blunt hemline for me.

Even though I can complain about a lot of stuff, I wouldn't change my hair if I could. :heart:

Winnie!
September 23rd, 2012, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure of my quoting abilities, so I'll just say thanks lapushka!

lapushka
September 23rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure of my quoting abilities, so I'll just say thanks lapushka!

You're welcome! :) I'm sorry if I couldn't help you with all sorts of buns, but it's just the problem with thick hair, you need lotsa length to start doing buns.

Madora
September 23rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
The secret to styling thick hair is to section it. Also makes it more comfortable to wear.

hairconvictions
September 23rd, 2012, 02:22 PM

I found when I was BSL that buns worked better when they were high up on my head-less likely to fall out immediately. Also, doing it when it was ALMOST dry was the perfect spot. Wet made it fall out, and so did dry. Good luck! :)

Shorty89
January 25th, 2013, 06:57 PM
I've been a longtime LHCer but never viewed this thread. I'm not on the crazy end of thick, but I am still part of the club. Like many of you the struggle to maintain the balance of enough moisture vs flat hair is tough. This winter has been really hard for me. It's so dry that I need lots of conditioning, but that often leads to flat hair. I'm cone-free which has helped the breakage, but man, this winter sucks.

dancingrain91
February 18th, 2013, 08:55 AM
I have fine, relatively thick hair (ii/iii) 3.9" including bangs. I was shocked to measure that. I had been told by a handful of people I had lots of hair, but I had always just heard about how "thin" my hair was by hairdressers or compared to my "thick" (read coarse) haired friends. But one of my M/iii friends and I have a lot of hair issues in common. I guess it all makes sense now.

silverthread
February 18th, 2013, 09:47 AM
I check on this thread every now and then, thinking after my fringe and side-burns(?) grow out, I'll be a iii, or close to it. Seems to be a lonely thread. Not many posts.

puddums
February 18th, 2013, 09:59 AM
I've been a longtime LHCer but never viewed this thread. I'm not on the crazy end of thick, but I am still part of the club. Like many of you the struggle to maintain the balance of enough moisture vs flat hair is tough. This winter has been really hard for me. It's so dry that I need lots of conditioning, but that often leads to flat hair. I'm cone-free which has helped the breakage, but man, this winter sucks.

I have fine and thick hair too. I find this thread useful, although I don't post much, but I just had to agree with this. I'm in Canada too and this winter has been very hard on my hair. My hair was nowhere near this dry last year. I think I'm going to have to go back to the heavy duty conditioner I used to use years ago when I dyed my hair and just deal with flat hair until the spring.

dancingrain91
July 5th, 2013, 10:41 PM
So I'm ressurecting this thread just because I find the advice so useful. My hair is better behaved with less washing so I'm down to twice a week. I oil the ends pretty heavy but I almost never wear it down and even in just a sloppy bun you can't see the gobs of oil. I find a pointy applicator filled with dilute shampoo (sulfate free but mostly because sulfates cause exzema outbreaks on me) helps me get ALL of my scalp clean. Some areas are hard to get just by massaging unless I put more than a palmful of shampoo in and lather for ages. Which was my pre lhc solution to preventing the dreaded greasy patches. I haven't tried catnip rinses yet but I plan to tomorrow. My hair has a ridiculous amount of splits. I'm curious how people brush with a bbb to prevent damage. I worry that may be one source for me but I could be doing it wrong. I do carefully detangle each section before and after. I can't work the brush far down my lengh though because the ends mat up. I hope the tangly ends improve when the layers finally grow out.

Of the Fae
July 10th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Oh my I'm happy I found this thread! I have a lot of fine hair too, and it tangles like crazy!

Maybe
July 10th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Oh my I'm happy I found this thread! I have a lot of fine hair too, and it tangles like crazy!

Mine tangles a lot too, as does my 11 year old DD's. She is fine and thick and maybe a 1B. I am fine and thick-ish (right on 4" including bangs), but wurly 2b/2c and I tangle like crazy.

I stopped straightening almost 11 months ago and I am SHOCKED at how much you can see the damage line. And the fried hair is so much thinnner and snaps off pretty easily.

I like my hair, for the most part, when it is down and behaving. I only need to wash every 5 days or so. I sleep in braids and then just take them out and fluff in the morning, which approximates my natural texture without me having to wet it and style the "sleep-smooshed" bits in the morning. Easy peasy.

However, I HATE the way it look sup, my bun is so puny and looks ridiculous perched on the back of my head. I have hundreds of dollars worth of hair toys that I never wear!

I really wonder how long it is going to have to be the wear it up! I am just brushing (bottom of) BSL now.

Kyoshi
July 10th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Another finey here! Always been told that I have "lots of hair". I don't think it's super thick, it looks pretty average to me (not measured it yet). I am the queen of tangles! Argh, i can just have detangled it, I'll look away and look back and it'll have tangled again. It also breaks pretty easily, so I have to brush very carefully. I can't use combs because they're just too rigid and break through hairs easily. Trying catnip hoping for some strength! Second soak tomorrow. :)