PDA

View Full Version : Apple Cider vs White Vineger?

royalscorpio
April 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Any thoughts? Which is better? I've just started rinsing with vinegar and have read that folks rinse with both and I'm wondering which one is better. Is it just a matter of personal preference? Does one do something that the other doesn't? Is one better for a certain type of hair than the other? Etc?

Thanks!

Runzel
April 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I've tried both. I'm favoring WV at the moment because it smells better (IMO) and is lots cheaper. :D Back when I was using ACV I wasn't as conscious of my hair and was using regular soap with it, so that isn't a very good comparison. My goal at the time was whatever works well enough to keep my hair semi-presentable. Now it's to make my hair as shiny and healthy as possible! One of these days I'll get around to trying all those different kinds of vinegar...maybe...

myotislucifugus
April 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I like ACV on its own, and WV if I'm making an herbal rinse. Personal preference I think, is what it boils down to.

UncommonTart
April 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I actually do strongly prefer the smell of ACV to WV, but I know that there are plenty of people who feel exactly the opposite. (Hi, Runzel!) I would also agree with Myotislucifugus about white vinegar being better for herbal rinses. (White vinegar and rosemary, for instance... mmm... gorgeous shine.)

I have heard that ACV has been known to impart slight golden-red tones to hair, but that's not something I've ever noticed. However, my hair is already golden-brown with a little bit of red, so your milage may vary.

Dars
April 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I prefer ACV rinses. I used WV once when we ran out and my fully dried hair smelt of vinegar, and continued to smell that way the next two days! ACV has the scent as it dries but when it's dry the smell is completley gone. I'm not sure if WV requires a different dilution rate to ACV, perhaps that's why I had the smell problem.

Carolyn
April 29th, 2009, 06:23 PM
If you are blonde and don't want to add reddish tones, I'd stay away from ACV and use WV. ACV addes reddish tones to my hair. Some blonde won't have that problem but I do. I think they both perform about the same and I don't mind the smell of either one.

marialena
April 29th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I believe that in all cases the results that vinegars give, have to do with the quality and the brand of each vinegar. I used for some period to make ACV rinses but I didn't liked the results. When I changed brand I have better results.
My favorite rinse this period, is a rinse that I make with a plain vinegar, made from wine, which is not "white" but red and has tarragon leafs in it. It is supposed that this vinegar is for salads only, but gives incredible shine to hair. ( I don't know if it makes them tasty too :p )
In general I prefer plain vinegar, I think that is more acidic and matches better with the olive oil soap that I use to wash my hair.

Nyghtingale
April 29th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks for asking, and answering this. I was wandering the same thing.

Snowball
April 30th, 2009, 08:29 AM
The last weeks I used white vinegar, because I was fed up with the smell of ACV. Yesterday I used ACV and noticed that my hair is much shinier.

Isabeau
May 1st, 2009, 03:03 AM
I prefer apple cider vineger who's more soft for my dry hair.

Deborah
May 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM
On me (a brunette) the two vinegars work exactly the same. Since childhood I used ACV, as I did not know that white would work too. Once I experimented, I found that the result was identical. So now when I want to use vinegar I mostly grab the white vinegar because (1) the smell is much milder, and (2) it is way cheaper. :)

Fourleafclover
May 1st, 2009, 06:09 PM
I just started using ACV /w Rosemary as a rinse and I love the smell. I smell like a tasty salad! :D

But can someone tell me why a vinegar rinse is good for the hair? I would have thought that an acid like vinegar would be bad for the hair? :confused:

chotee
May 1st, 2009, 07:17 PM
I have been rinsing with acv for some time now...haven't used wv yet.

gnome
May 11th, 2009, 01:32 AM
i've noticed that with WV my hair feels more "clean", while with ACV, there's a bit of a greasy film after rinsing.

Athanéis
May 11th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I did ACV rinses for a while, but it didn't do anything for my hair (I used two different organic brands). When I did a WV rinse instead I noticed that my hair felt a lot smoother and it was almost tangle free. So for me it really makes a difference. The smell doesn't bother me, I don't really notice it anymore once my hair is dry. I use 50/50 or undiluted(!) WV rinses now (but not after every wash) and I'm a bit worried that it might be too drying on the long term, but so far my hair seems fine.

Fractalsofhair
May 11th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I just started using ACV /w Rosemary as a rinse and I love the smell. I smell like a tasty salad! :D

But can someone tell me why a vinegar rinse is good for the hair? I would have thought that an acid like vinegar would be bad for the hair? :confused:

It's good for hair since hair is naturally acidic, due to our oils and such. It also seals the cuticle, preventing damage and making your hair very shiny!

swirlytresses
May 11th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I use ACV, never tried the WV. I noticed a difference when I bought organic ACV and I like it better than the cheaper stuff. I will have to give the WV a try. :)

plainjanegirl
May 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM
It's good for hair since hair is naturally acidic, due to our oils and such. It also seals the cuticle, preventing damage and making your hair very shiny!

Sounds like it does what cones will do - seal and prevent damage.

longhairedfairy
May 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM
WV and ACV seem to work about the same for me.

Fractalsofhair
May 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Plain Jane, it is like a cone, but without coating the hair and causing it to be unable to absorb oils/water. It's the cone for non cone heads, but the effects are similar in terms of appearance!

curls2grow
May 30th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I had Bragg's ACV in the house -- previously bought about a year ago it to try as skin toner but chickened out wtih that, so never opened the bottle until this morning.

For ACV users -- do you think there's much difference using an organic line like Bragg's vs. regular supermarket generic ACV? DH had commented that the Bragg's was expensive when he bought it for me.

Carolyn, I appreciate your mention of possible reddish tones. That's something i don't want on my gray hair. I will need to keep an eye open for that happening. May move to WV when I finish up the current ACV bottle.

Eden Iris
May 30th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I much prefer the smell of WV, and I use it for laundry and cleaning so there's always a gallon jug of it in the basement. As far as performance, they work exactly the same on my hair.

Moonstruck
May 30th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I've only tried black vinegar (common in Asian foods - my mom has no other vinegar in the house, period!) and ACV. The ACV definitely works better, and I'd suspect that black vinegar may darken hair, since it's black. =P

I have heard that ACV is often just white vinegar with coloring in it, since ACV supposedly has many health benefits and therefore can be sold for more. So be careful! If you're buying your ACV as a shoprite brand the way I did first, there may be no difference except for color because that IS the only difference.
I have an unopened bottle of Bragg's organic now sitting in my room, for when I use up my other bottle, so we'll see. Additionally, the stuff with "the mother" supposedly has a slightly different smell and more conditioning benefits.

curls2grow
May 30th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I have an unopened bottle of Bragg's organic now sitting in my room, for when I use up my other bottle, so we'll see. Additionally, the stuff with "the mother" supposedly has a slightly different smell and more conditioning benefits.Thank you for posting that. I wasn't sure if I should be concerned or impressed by having "the mother" included or not. :confused:

Thinthondiel
May 30th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I really prefer the smell of white vinegar, so that's what I use. The first time I tried white vinegar, though, I didn't notice that it said 35% on the bottle... table vinegar is usually 5%. Needless to say, my hair stank! :p

spidermom
May 30th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I like WV better because ACV brings out red tones in my hair, or it used to before I got so much silver. Actually, I don't use vinegar anymore period because it makes my hair wildly fly-away.

chotee
May 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
this may be the right thread to ask "can i use ACV tablets" dissolved in water.....as i have 2 boxes and i don't know what to do with them.....