PDA

View Full Version : splits, s&d, and more...

wahmof9
April 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Okay, I have many questions about "damage" and "splits."

My hair is not damaged and my ends are not fried, nor dried. But as I was looking I could find some split ends.

In the past, every time I found splits I cut my hair hence I have not had long hair in almost 30 years!

So questions:
Are split ends a "normal" part of having long hair?

Can they be avoided all together?

Is s&d effective?

When do you determine that a cut (hurts to write it) is necessary?

As long as my hair (the ends) are soft can I just let it grow even though I do have some splits?

I know we are told to do regular trims every 6 - 8 weeks but I'd like to last longer, can that be done without my hair looking awful in the process?

I really really really really want long hair (at least waist) and I am very very very impatient for that to happen...so I am not looking to cut my hair. Also I plan on self trims since that is the only way to make sure I don't get my hair hacked off.

Are splits more inherent to fine hair (like me) than thick hair as I have been told or does it just depends on the person?

Well...I think it is all for now;)

lacereza
April 28th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Yes

No

Yes

Different for everyone

Yes

Yes

Yes.

:)

lacereza
April 28th, 2009, 10:42 PM
oops double post!

wahmof9
April 28th, 2009, 10:58 PM
oops double post!

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Any tips and tricks from the "old-timers" out there for me the newbie?

OhioLisa
April 29th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Yes.

No.

Is s&d effective?
S&D, in conjunction with gentle handling and proper care, is effective.

Cuts are only really necessary for 2 reasons. 1. To maintain a blunt hemline, if that's what you're going for 2. To cut off damage. If your hair starts getting really tangly toward the ends, or is starting to look damaged, go for a small trim. If not, it's not really necessary.

As long as my hair (the ends) are soft can I just let it grow even though I do have some splits?
Yep. There are a lot of us who don't trim at all. :)

I know we are told to do regular trims every 6 - 8 weeks but I'd like to last longer, can that be done without my hair looking awful in the process?
See above response. My last trim was almost 9 months ago. Prior to that, I went almost 2 years.

Are splits more inherent to fine hair (like me) than thick hair as I have been told or does it just depends on the person?
I think fineys are more prone to splits, simply because our hair is more fragile.

Keep your hair up (and thus protected) as much as possible
Keep your ends moisturized with either oil or leave-in conditioner
Ditch the brushes and use wide-tooth combs
Overall gentle handling

Good luck. ;)

Heidi_234
April 29th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Some people swear that catnip reduced their splits to almost nothing. Lots of catnip.

Anje
April 29th, 2009, 09:25 AM
More for some people than for others. For me, yes. There are a few lucky souls who don't get them.

Only if you're one of those lucky ones. Good care can minimize them, and so can some treatments.

Is s&d effective?
S&D isn't totally effective for me (can't search all ~100,000 hairs for splits!), but it makes a dent.

Cuts are necessary if you want to get rid of massive damage or unremovable dye immediately. Trims are sufficient to keep splits at the ends of your hair under control, or to maintain a length or blunt hemline. If you get splits higher up, those are better gotten with S&D, because they keep coming back no matter how much you cut.

Yep. A few splits are OK. If you have enough that they tangle, it's time to start hunting them down.

No reason you need to trim that often, unless you really want to maintain the shape. Trim when you think your hair needs it.

I think there are a few fineies who don't get splits, and there are coarsies who do. But fine hair is more fragile and more prone to splitting, in general.

Wear your hair up, so that the ends don't get rubbed on clothes and chairs, and to prevent the tangles that contribute to splits.
Comb SLOWLY. If you hear hair breaking, you should try doing it a bit differently.
Conditioner is your friend.
There's some indication that soaking in catnip tea helps to prevent splits. YMMV.

wahmof9
April 29th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all your wonderful answers!

janeytilllie
April 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Yep, I get them all the time

Nope

Is s&d effective?

It is very effective for me. My splits have reduced a lot since using this method

For me personally, when they are huge amounts of splits and tangles.

Trouble is splits can travel up if they are not dealt with. A few are ok but if they are loads they do need to be dealt with. I find S+D is useful for me because I can grow my hair and at the same time get rid of the splits.

Same as above

I think so

These things below IMO have helped me greatly reduce splits

•I have found oiling with coconut oil every night helps.

•Wearing buns and updos when I am out, helps reduce tangles and splits

•Sleeping on a silk pillowcase.

•Wearing a braid for bed and sleep cap.

•S+D every night.

Hope this helps :D