PDA

View Full Version : Wingy bangs, what to do?

intothemist1999
April 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I cut bangs in some time ago and I really like them. However, lately the ends on the sides want to flip out and up!! I'm not sure why! When it's wet, I've started combing them straight...repeatedly...but that only limits the winginess.

They were getting quite long and they were worse. I just trimmed them and they are better.

I don't really want to use a curling iron or straightener. Another other ideas?

TIA!

Rohele
April 28th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I can control the shape of my bangs fairly well by using a bit of styling product (I use the curl cream that I use on the rest of my hair) and then pinning the hair where I want it to go with mini claw clips. (Note this doesn't make them straight, it just kind of points the hair in the proper direction - I've got a very long sideswept bang).

myotislucifugus
April 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I know why they are winging out...:D
You have some natural wave to your hair, and the bangs are growing out to show this. This is the big reason I grew mine out, every couple of weeks I got devil horns. If you have fine hair, don't use gel unless you want the "greaser look." (I look at old photos and think WHY?! Why did nobody tell me!? I looked awful...:confused:) Try a light weight mousse instead, or even careful styling when wet. I also had luck with clips and bobbies to hold back the extra wingy bits, but I gave up. I liked the look of bangs when they were freshly cut, but not after they had grown in.

Good luck with yours!

Edit: I note you have iii hair, which makes you lucky, but it may make the bangs harder to make submit to your will. A heavier weight mousse or hairspray may be needed. Really, really good luck with yours, you may need it.

kdaniels8811
April 28th, 2009, 07:13 PM
They used to sell hair tape with a light adhesive, anyone remember that? I used it to tape my bangs down while I slept! Then they were fine in the mornng. Aging myself, I know...

SheWolf
April 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I know why they are winging out...:D
You have some natural wave to your hair, and the bangs are growing out to show this. This is the big reason I grew mine out, every couple of weeks I got devil horns. If you have fine hair, don't use gel unless you want the "greaser look." (I look at old photos and think WHY?! Why did nobody tell me!? I looked awful...:confused:) Try a light weight mousse instead, or even careful styling when wet. I also had luck with clips and bobbies to hold back the extra wingy bits, but I gave up. I liked the look of bangs when they were freshly cut, but not after they had grown in.

Good luck with yours!

Edit: I note you have iii hair, which makes you lucky, but it may make the bangs harder to make submit to your will. A heavier weight mousse or hairspray may be needed. Really, really good luck with yours, you may need it.

That's precisely why I'm growing mine: wavy texture and the mother of all cowlicks. Right at the hairline. Sweeping them to the side does help.

Dars
April 28th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I comb mine to the side I want and bobby pin them until they dry. I've also noticed my fringe lay straight when I wore a beanie while my hair was still damp :p ...along with flat hat hair!

intothemist1999
April 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM
They used to sell hair tape with a light adhesive, anyone remember that? I used it to tape my bangs down while I slept! Then they were fine in the mornng. Aging myself, I know...

heheh I was going to ask about that in my OP!! Do they still make that?

viking_quest
April 28th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I couldn't remember why I disliked bangs on me and then I remembered that this happened to me as well (I never knew that I was a wavy then). On a lazy day I would clip the "horn" down and if I was up to it I would blow dry my bangs to the way I wanted them to look.

intothemist1999
April 28th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I couldn't remember why I disliked bangs on me and then I remembered that this happened to me as well (I never knew that I was a wavy then).

Ah. Good point. When I cut them in, I thought I was a 1b!

The strange thing is, I've had them for a few months, trim them every couple of weeks (but I was overdue when the first bad wings appeared), and never had them until the last week or so. Even with the trim a few nights ago, one side in particular is still more wingie than I would like.

Citrine
April 28th, 2009, 09:29 PM
*raises hand* I've got the same problem, and have for my entire life (okay, just the parts where I had bangs... which is considerable). There is always the option of blow drying or straightening the cowlick out, but like you I prefer not to. Lately I've come up with an ok trick that keeps the horn from being too noticible. I take a BBB and wet the bristles, then brush the bangs in the direction desired. Wait for your bangs to try and keep an eye on them to keep the cowlick from returning.

Wind
April 28th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Do you sleep on them wet? I detangle mine and then use a brush to turn them under when wet. Once they're only slightly damp, I add a little bit of volumizing mousse, and then continue to straighten them in place (kind of pouf them ect) until dry. If I let them go crazy or turn them out when wet, the only way to fix is rewetting. HTH. :)

lacereza
April 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM
ONe big (velcro?) roller, while they dry.

Or just use a blow drier. If you expect to keep them shorter than the rest of your hair, they're not going to get damaged from the heat, because you'll cut them so often. I use a dryer on my fringe every day.

Tap Dancer
April 29th, 2009, 04:51 AM
It may just be something you can't control. I always hated that my bangs would wing out. It didn't matter how I dried or styled them. So I grew them out and guess what? I have baby hairs (a lot of them) that wing out where bangs would be! In my case, it wasn't my bangs that gave me the problem; it was baby hairs I didn't know I had. LOL :rolleyes:

Nini
April 29th, 2009, 04:59 AM
When I get wings it's time to trim.

I haven't got a wave to my hair, but when my fringe hits a certain point it starts to split in the middle and kinda flip to each side. No doubt helped by the fact that I don't like hair in my eyes, and that I used to wear glasses.

Nini

almudena
April 29th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Wavy, iii hair and bangs here. I blow dry them to style mine. To keep them in place until the next wash I use a bit of styling gel (Lush Big Tease) and bobby pins. This helps me to not have to use the blow dryer everyday.

BTW, I came across this bang’s tutorial yesterday. Interesting :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Mq2h2wDXU&feature=channel_page

heidihug
April 29th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Or just use a blow drier. If you expect to keep them shorter than the rest of your hair, they're not going to get damaged from the heat, because you'll cut them so often. I use a dryer on my fringe every day.
What lacereza said. If you never intend to grow them out, what harm is it to use heat on your bangs/fringe? You will just be trimming off the damaged ends within a few weeks anyway. I have quite straight hair, and I use a curling iron on my fringe just about every day.

intothemist1999
April 29th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks for all the ideas!

I TOTALLY forgot about blowdrying! I haven't used the blowdry in almost 2 years, so it never occurred to me!

Arctic_Mama
April 29th, 2009, 02:36 PM
My bangs have always done that if I don't blowfry... Quite simply, I embrace it by styling them in a way that plays it up instead of fights it. Sideswept works for me, as does wetting them and pinning them until they dry how I'd like.

lora410
April 29th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Mine are doing this now,and everytime I have grown out my bags they have donehis until they got past the ear lobes.

GlassEyes
April 29th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I like wavy bangs.

But you could get them straight if you wait untill they're damp and pin them back untill they dry, then comb, I think.

spidermom
April 29th, 2009, 06:13 PM
If you wear your bangs over to one side, wear them in the opposite direction. That used to change the shape and get rid of the winged look for me.

Ven
April 29th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Ack! I have the SAME problem! I get the wing on only onc side and it is soooo stupid looking. I need to review all the posts for advice now.

Thanks for posting this topic.
~Ven

Linda K
April 30th, 2009, 02:42 AM
heheh I was going to ask about that in my OP!! Do they still make that?
Saw it a couple weeks ago! How do I describe what Pamida is? more than a dollar store - less than Shopko who bought them out!

I couldn't remember why I disliked bangs on me and then I remembered that this happened to me as well (I never knew that I was a wavy then). On a lazy day I would clip the "horn" down and if I was up to it I would blow dry my bangs to the way I wanted them to look.
LOL! Blow dry is the only way - if I'm lucky - with product! If I'm not going to wash in am - stay up really late so I sleep like a rock! then they are still sort of ok in the morning!:D

paper
April 30th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I have to blow dry my bangs too!

Sherri
April 30th, 2009, 06:50 AM
If you wear your bangs over to one side, wear them in the opposite direction. That used to change the shape and get rid of the winged look for me.
I watched the girl in the video do that with the side comb and if I did that to my hair it would stay like that. Hers just flopped back into place? I wonder if it is because she has thicker bangs?