PDA

View Full Version : How often do you oil your hair?

cleanbug
April 28th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Hello to the group.
I have a question about oiling. Do most of you oil on a regular basis (like once a week or daily)?
Or do you oil only when the hair seems dry. I have tried grapeseed oil & coconut oil. The grapeseed seems to be a little harder to get out.

I like the coconut oil for a leave in...it seems lighter. Any thoughts?
Tami
http://ilovehenna.tripod.com/

kdaniels8811
April 28th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I oil daily before I put it up in the morning. I use coconut oil, bought a jar which may last me the rest of my life! so have not tried anything different. I use a couple drops on the bottom 8-10 inches of my hair. Does that answer your question? By the way, the photo is from December, my hair is now BSL heading for waist!

AlleyKitten
April 28th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I oil most times I wash my hair, once I've gotten it damp but not dripping. Sometimes I also oil before I wash, if seems to need it. Other than that I only oil if it's really tangled and I need some help combing it out.

ravenreed
April 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I oil my tassel every night before I sleep. I use a lot on the day before I wash, and keep it up. I have been using coconut oil, but tried grapeseed last night and my ends really loved it.

mira-chan
April 28th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I oil just about daily. Coconut in the summer, camellia and sesame oils in the winter when coconut oil is solid.

intothemist1999
April 28th, 2009, 06:31 PM
After every wash, I lightly oil the ends. Like mira-chan, I use liquid oils in the cooler weather (the ones I've tried are Sweet Almond, Camellia, and Hemp, and I like them all). For warmer weather Coconut (my all time fave) and occasionally Shea Butter, mostly just because I have it and it wasn't overly cheap...I'm not sure that I notice anything great resulting from its use.

I'm getting in the habit of oiling my tassle when I have a braid.

AJoifulNoise
April 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I've been oiling everytime I wet my hair: 6 days a week. But, I'm considering going back to oiling only when I shampoo: 2 days a week. Pondering.

AnneAdeline
April 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I don't really have a system for oiling. Sometimes I will the night before I wash (wash once a week) and I often oil before putting in two braids.
I used to use jojoba oil because Trader Joe's carries it. Then I bought some coconut oil and my hair adores it.

adventuring
April 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I normally oil mine every 3-5 days about eight or so hours before washing.

Magicknthenight
April 28th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Now that i have oils again i tend to use them a lot. Sometimes i use a little after my shower and wait for it to dry. Then put it up in the morning. I think mostly I've been using a lot after my showers though. Sometimes putting it up while wet and very oiled or down until morning. I'm probably more used to my hair being heavily oiled then not. Sometimes when its down i may spritz and re-add if i didn't add much in the first place. I also usually wet my braid tassel if I'm wearing one and put something on the ends though. :)

Dars
April 28th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I use grapeseed oil a few times a week when I feel like my hair needs it, I haven't noticed difficulty in washing it out but I don't use much of it. Occasionally I do a heavy oiling with EVOO. I have yet to buy coconut oil!

CaityBear
April 28th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I try to oil right after I shower when my hair is damp. I towel dry it and gently comb and then oil my length. I've been using coconut oil all winter. I have grapeseed oil, but I haven't used it lately. I find the coconut makes my hair sooo soft.

Ash
April 28th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I heavily oil on damp hair before bed on Sun, Tues, and Thurs using walnut or avocado oil. I shampoo when I wake up Mon, Wed, and Fri and this gets the oil out (it doesn't come out very well on the alternate CO days.) Every day after I shower I lightly oil with coconut oil focusing on the ends.

SimplyLonghair
April 28th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I oil almost every day, usually on damp hair if my hair is dry I spray it to make it damp and then oil the length. :D

NebraskaChick84
April 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I oil every few weeks. I tend to get a lot of *gunk* on my scalp when it's about time to oil...I have no idea how oil on my length fixes the gunk on the scalp but it sure does...

babbleball
April 28th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I just got coconut oil on sunday (two days ago). I have oiled twice in that time. I also added a generous portion to a bath. OMG my skin is soooo soft. I love how soft the coconut oil has made my skin. My hair is super soft and shiny as well. I think I have the "oooh new product so I'll over use it for a while" syndrome. I might oil daily for a week or two and then taper off to when I remember to use it or if my hair is feeling dry.

Unnamed
April 28th, 2009, 09:17 PM
After washing on wet but no longer dripping hair (and after a bit of conditioner, as my hair dislikes oils on their own). Just a few drops, and just on the hair that's roughly shoulder blades to BSL on down. This usually ends up every 2-4 days depending on the time of year (2-3 in the warmer months, 3-4 usually in colder months).

Very, very periodically I'll do a heavy oil before a wash.

hennaphile
April 28th, 2009, 10:34 PM
whenever i have time before before washing

HotRag
April 28th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I pre oil night before wash.
I have found the balance to get this oiling to last after wash, so I don't need oiling every day.

Between washes, I oil when needed.

I do not use coconut oil, will test it in the summer though.
Oils I use are sesame, camellia, rice bran and avocado.

practikalmagik
April 29th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I usually oil when I've got out the shower after washing my hair (so twice a week or so) and I put a smidge on the hair below my ears whilst it's still damp. Sometimes I do a heavy oiling before washing but it's usualy more a case of if I remember. I love coconut oil, if I could only take two things with me anywhere it would be coconut oil and jojobo for after I wash my face.