PDA

View Full Version : Semi-rant: haircut + pics

Forever_Sophie
April 28th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I'm almost panicking, reminding myself it'll grow....

Okay, so I normally LOVE my stylist, went in for highlights and TRIM. I usually bring a pic and mention NOT a V, and I blame myself to a point for not doing either of those things, BUT a trim doesn't mean "Change the entire shape of my hair"! omgomgomgomg :( It's a V! :(

I didn't really notice 'til I got home and started taking pics to post HERE, initially quite happy...and I DO like the way it looks in front (therefore "semi rant" :p) , but... :( I'd just reached my waist length goal and I shudder to think this but if I were to bring it closer to a U shape, there goes 4" at least (I won't, not soon - in stages...). AND I bet she knew, she claimed she'd give a discount b/c she rushed the highlights (don't think she did), and when I checked, she didn't charge for the cut. Seriously feeling sick looking at this :cry:

http://img.makeupalley.com/0/8/1/5/1274574.JPG

http://img.makeupalley.com/0/8/1/5/1274573.JPG

http://img.makeupalley.com/0/8/1/5/1274572.JPG

JamieLeigh
April 28th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Wow. It's horrible that your stylist didn't give you what you wanted. I would absolutely find a different place to get trims, or find someone who's not in it for the money and that you trust to support you in your long hair journey. It's really annoying to reach or be so close to a goal, and then have something happen to stop your progress. :grouphug:

That said, it does look nice, for what it's worth. And at least you can say you've "tried" the V-shape and that you know you don't like it, so it's not just a case of "try it out and you'll see you like it," if you know what I mean. And it's good that you have a plan that involves NOT sacrificing your length that you've worked so hard to grow out. :( I'm truly sorry that you've had a bad experience. I trim myself!!

Forever_Sophie
April 28th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks JamieLeigh! She's been so great about it before, oh, and get this: when we discussed how much was getting cut, she SAID she didn't want to cut too much since it's long, just one inch. What she did completely took me by surprise.

You just gave me an idea, maybe I'll ask my grandma if she can (in time) cut small amounts from the bottom (thank for the idea! Can't imagine cutting it myself...). OH, and she added bangs, too! (I had them before, she thickened them). She sort of asked, but I didn't get to really think about it................ ugh.

JamieLeigh
April 28th, 2009, 06:11 PM
You're welcome! :flower: I hope you find a way that works in your hair's best interest. It sounds obvious to me, since she didn't charge you for the cut, that she knew she messed up and that you would be angry. I'd be livid if I were charged for a cut I didn't want or ask for!!! :rolleyes:

lora410
April 28th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I am sorry you didn't get what you want, but your hair looks lovely in a V shape :)

intothemist1999
April 28th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Oh lordie another idiot hairstylist!!!

One the other hand...it looks really pretty! :agree: However, it's TOTALLY not what you wanted, THAT'S the problem! I would talk to the manager and then go elsewhere.

I was sitting in a salon once when a young lady (late teens/early twenties) came in and asked for a trim (TANGENT: do any salons still have mirrors on either side of the room any more, so you can SEE what's going on? Or did they get wise to that?). Her hair was a bit longer than shoulder length and she wanted it blunt at slightly shorter than shoulder length. Well the stylist had nerve to cut the sides (what the customer could see) properly, but then a LONG U on the back which was about the length it started at. She got the girl already to leave and finally gave her the hand mirror, and although I couldn't hear the (remarkably calm) conversation, I KNEW what was going on! I've noticed that stylists can't seem to resist a U. For my own personal tastes, shoulder length U's are not particularly attractive.

Fortunately it was LONGER than it should have been so all she had to do was even it out to a blunt cut. Sheesh, most of us aren't stylists, but we know what "blunt bob, please" means! It's alarming to think these people are trained professionals.

spidermom
April 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Oh no; I'd be so upset because I don't like a V hem, not one little bit. I'm glad you didn't get charged for it. Gah! I wonder where her mind went?

Forever_Sophie
April 28th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Need your input: If I phone the manager tomorrow and tell her this (she loves my long hair), would it be totally....uncomfortable to go back? She does the greatest highlights...But yeah, this is NOT okay.

adventuring
April 28th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Was it all one length to begin with?

AnneAdeline
April 28th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
If you love getting your highlights done there, why not go just for them (no trim)? That way it'll be obvious if someone takes out scissors.
The V does look great on your hair, by the way.
Good luck! :flower:

p.s. I'm growing out my layers, which means I have a V shape that I'm trying to get more into a U. I've had success with the (Feye's?) self-trimming method.

Forever_Sophie
April 28th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I have a profile pic, not exactly. More U shaped, for sure.

Scratch the phoning idea, she already didn't charge...

Forever_Sophie
April 28th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
If you love getting your highlights done there, why not go just for them (no trim)? That way it'll be obvious if someone takes out scissors.
The V does look great on your hair, by the way.
Good luck! :flower:

p.s. I'm growing out my layers, which means I have a V shape that I'm trying to get more into a U. I've had success with the (Feye's?) self-trimming method.

Thanks chica!! I think I will do that (just highlights) there. Where can I read about Feye's method? Thanks again :) :flower:

Carolyn
April 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Wow. Do they train stylists just to get "creative" and do what they want? Yikes. I'd be plenty upset too. I think it's time for you to move on and find a new stylist. There are other stylists who can do good high lights. I would never go back to someone who cut my hair in a V shape when I didn't ask for it.

Darkhorse1
April 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I'd be upset too! I had a V hemline when I first grew my hair long (I wouldn't let anyone touch it with scissors). But, I then prefered an even hemline or a U shape.

I would be very upset too!!! You have gorgeous hair, but I totally know how it feels to see something you didn't ask for.

Thing is, if you said you didn't want a V hemline, how could she mess that up?? My hair dresser always pulls all my hair behind me and does a tiny trim/micro trim. Unless I ask for the sides to be shorter, which I had (I wanted a U shape hemline, but found it didn't make a nice braid tail), and she was excellent and listened.

You live in my area--well, Ontario-I highly reccomend my hairdresser (she has long hair too!), but I'm quite north west of the city.

adventuring
April 28th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I have a profile pic, not exactly. More U shaped, for sure.

Scratch the phoning idea, she already didn't charge...

Oh, sorry. I can't see people's profiles; still too new.

I think that since she didn't charge, just make sure you mention next time you go in that the V shape really isn't what you're looking for. It'd be a shame to lose a hairdresser you like.

Lamb
April 28th, 2009, 06:52 PM
That's a shame, but fwiw, you hair still looks pretty! :flower:

About stylists' fascination with the U-shape: I think that's because some people (I am one of them) have a skull shaped in a way which would make a blunt hemline at just above shoulder length look as if the back was cut shorter than the front - a sort of inverted bob. The bits at the back would be too short to get into a ponytail.
Not sure this makes sense, but in short, some people have a "natural U-shape".

SimplyLonghair
April 28th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Forever_Sophie, I am sorry that you had such a bad experience. I have such an issue with people not listening these days. It seems to be an epidemic! :grouphug:

GlennaGirl
April 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
That's a shame, but fwiw, you hair still looks pretty! :flower:

About stylists' fascination with the U-shape: I think that's because some people (I am one of them) have a skull shaped in a way which would make a blunt hemline at just above shoulder length look as if the back was cut shorter than the front - a sort of inverted bob. The bits at the back would be too short to get into a ponytail.
Not sure this makes sense, but in short, some people have a "natural U-shape".

This actually is the way a blunt cut is done: the back is cut shorter than the sides, technically--the individual hairs, I mean--so that the effect from the back is a straight-across cut.

If that makes sense.

I like a really, really blunt hem. I've noticed after 10 months of no trims that my hair is naturally "U"-ing, though. I think that's probably the natural shape most hair will wind up growing in simply because, again, an 18" hair at the side is going to look shorter than an 18" hair from back dead-center.

I can say that unless you really specify a blunt, you won't get a blunt. I am so sorry, OP, that you didn't get the cut you want. Without much trimming, your hair may naturally begin to soften to a "U" effect over time if you have the patience to let it go that way.

It does look beautiful.

tiny_teesha
April 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM
1- it turned out great.
2- Hair grows
3- That's why i don't get my hair cut at the salon any more i do it myself! More control of the outcome.

I actually LOVE the V hem on thick hair- which you have. It seirously looks great. Try maybe trimming what your grow a month every second month, so you will be gaining length slowly and getting the U gradually?

I do think 2 inches woudl be enough to get teh "u" look and it still wouldn't look short. But as is it looks beautiful. ( i too find V cuts look GREAT at the front!)

SheWolf
April 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I once was massacred and bleached by a psycho stylist who then said to me "Oh, I decided you'd look better as a blonde. The cut is fine, you just have the wrong shape".
... Needless to say, I went to the salon owner and raised holy hell. (I had gone in at shoulder length, for a trim and lowlights, wound up with a bleached mullet, can you beat that?)
The salon owner was great, though:
Upon seeing the flippant, uncaring manner in which the stylist handled my complaints, (in front of customers, no less) he fired her on the spot, did not charge me for the fiasco, did not charge me for the repair job, and promised me that if I gave the salon another chance, he would entrust me to his best colorist.
I decided to go for it.
The colorist was an expert at fixing botched color jobs, as well as an accomplished stylist.
The bad news was that I had to get a pixie, the good news is my hair color would up a warm chocolate/cinnamon/chestnut brown.
It's been 4 years.
I'm still at the same salon, same stylist.

Sophie, your hair DOES look very pretty. But if you feel you cannot communicate with your stylist, it may be time to find someone else. Either at the same salon, or a different one.
What bugs me with your experience is that the way she charged you clearly says she knew full well that she screwed up, yet she never even acknowledged it.
That would make it impossible for me to trust her ever again, whether for cuts or color.

Forever_Sophie
April 28th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks for ALL these thoughtful, encouraging replies! It's nice to know I'm not alone & it means so much right now to hear it looks nice (not fishing, just...upset).

I'd be upset too! I had a V hemline when I first grew my hair long (I wouldn't let anyone touch it with scissors). But, I then prefered an even hemline or a U shape.

I would be very upset too!!! You have gorgeous hair, but I totally know how it feels to see something you didn't ask for.

Thing is, if you said you didn't want a V hemline, how could she mess that up?? My hair dresser always pulls all my hair behind me and does a tiny trim/micro trim. Unless I ask for the sides to be shorter, which I had (I wanted a U shape hemline, but found it didn't make a nice braid tail), and she was excellent and listened.

You live in my area--well, Ontario-I highly reccomend my hairdresser (she has long hair too!), but I'm quite north west of the city.

Thank you! I'm in Kingston right now...Anyway, no, *guilty* I didn't specify "no V" this time, just 1" trim... Won't happen again. I now get where those of you come from when you won't let hairdressers touch your hair!

Oh, sorry. I can't see people's profiles; still too new.

I think that since she didn't charge, just make sure you mention next time you go in that the V shape really isn't what you're looking for. It'd be a shame to lose a hairdresser you like.

I think so, too, I've been going to her for 3 yrs, 1st mess up (albeit a big one). Didn't realize you're new (or realize new friends can't see profiles!) Sorry!

1- it turned out great.
2- Hair grows
3- That's why i don't get my hair cut at the salon any more i do it myself! More control of the outcome.

I actually LOVE the V hem on thick hair- which you have. It seirously looks great. Try maybe trimming what your grow a month every second month, so you will be gaining length slowly and getting the U gradually?

I do think 2 inches woudl be enough to get teh "u" look and it still wouldn't look short. But as is it looks beautiful. ( i too find V cuts look GREAT at the front!)

THAT is encouraging! Isn't it strange? I LOVE it from the front, DESPISE it from the back!

earthdancer
April 28th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I don't care for v cuts either, never have, but it doesn't look bad. At least you don't have to go around feeling like you need to apologize for the way you look, because it looks fine.

I agree with getting someone you trust to cut a smidge off the bottom of the v once in a while until it's a shape you like. Also you might want to take a picture of what you want to the salon next time so there is no misunderstanding. It might help; it can't hurt.

Myself, I don't trust haircutters. The school here teaches the students to do what they think is best for the client, and hang what the client wants.

Pixna
April 29th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I'm so sorry that happened to you, Sophie. For what it's worth, it does look lovely on you, even though I know it's not what you want.

I would suggest learning how to do your own trims. I've been using Feye's method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim) for many years, and you only take off as much as YOU want -- you're in complete control. I recommend that, in the future, you use a salon (the one you went to or a new one) ONLY for coloring. Do your trims yourself.

Addy
April 29th, 2009, 06:56 AM
It will be two years in August since I let a wacko weilding scissors that works in a salon cut my hair! All I have to say is never again!

I, too, am not a fan of the V shape but I think yours looks good even though it's not what you wanted. :( I just can't help to feel sick about it for you. That would definately ruin my day/week/year.

I remember coming home all red-faced yelling and screaming about the cut I got and DH was like turn around, it's not tha... OMG! What did she do toy you?!!! It was bad. Bad enough to swear them off!

I wish you tons of growth in the next year and hope it flies by so you can get rid of the V. :D

Tap Dancer
April 29th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Awww, I'm sorry you're unhappy with the shape. :( Before I had my hair cut into a one-length bob, I had my hair layered and trimmed. It was still on the longish side then. My hairdresser gave me a V in the back, which I also didn't notice until I was home. I've always had a U hemline before, which I think is the most attractive shape. So I totally understand how you feel.

You have two options: leave it alone for a few months so you won't lose length and slowly trim it until you're back to a U hemline. Or you can have her cut the V off now and you'll like the shape better, but lose a few more inches. Good luck. :flower:

mellie
April 29th, 2009, 06:57 AM
I'm with Earthdancer, I don't trust haircutters either. Learned that too many times the hard way! I don't go to salons anymore.

I actually never do trims. But I am very gentle with my hair, wash with just soapnuts and nothing else, just airdrying and brushing only when it's completely dry, so it doesn't ever need a trim.

Your hair does look pretty, I hope it grows back fast so you can have the hemline that you want! :-)

almudena
April 29th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I went through the exact same episode last January. I went for some soft layers and came back with a deep V shape.
I didn’t deeply regret at first because it was a change and it was stylish and fun,. However, compared with my previous thick hemline, it looked quite pathetic and as if I had gone through a major shedding phase.

What I have been doing since then is to cut a bit each month. I got my last trim this past Monday and, almost 4 months later, my hemline finally is a nice U shape. No progress as far as length is concerned during this period of time, but I’m very happy of having my thick hemline back :)

All that said, I think your hair looks gorgeous :flower:

Forever_Sophie
April 29th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I love you girls so much! I DREAMT about this last night! lol, that there were 41 pages of replies :o This morning, thinking about this cut made me dread getting out of bed.

Luckily, the bangs are exactly what I needed (too thin before), and also, given that I was the desired length, at least the trims won't hurt too much (wasn't trying to get any longer...).

Pixna , thanks for the link!! I've learned my lesson! (btw, I'd happily find a new stylist but there aren't many in my town-ish city who can color naturally black hair...).

KajiKodomo
April 29th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I'm so sorry that it was such a bad experience! *hugs*

Madame J
April 29th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Since this seems to be bothering you so much, you may want to go back to the stylist sooner, rather than later, and let her know this shape bothers you and is a direct example of what you want to avoid in the future, always. And maybe she could round out the tip of the V a little, and you could gradually go back to a U-shape as the hair grows back in so you don't lose your new length milestone.

...or, I've always found my hair grows really fast in the summer, so maybe getting a couple inches off to fix the mistake now wouldn't be so bad *ducks the potential ire because I'm not a point where I understand the agony of losing more than 1/4"*

But definitely say something to the stylist first. She may have taken the cut off because it's easier than reducing the price of highlights -- those involve stock that's inventoried, where cuts don't. I wouldn't go to the manager unless the stylist was specifically rude to me when I brought up a concern.

wintersun99
April 29th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Sorry that you didn't get what you wanted, that is such a bummer. I think that if you really like the way she does your highlights, continue to get them from her. Colorists who do it well are very hard to find. I would NOT let her cut my hair again, if it were me... :)

Forever_Sophie
April 29th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Sorry that you didn't get what you wanted, that is such a bummer. I think that if you really like the way she does your highlights, continue to get them from her. Colorists who do it well are very hard to find. I would NOT let her cut my hair again, if it were me... :)

Agreed, about the cutting AND the color (every other stylist I've been to - and that's many - always want to bleach and then add color. She's really great about just using one color and getting the results I want...).

I have the link to Feye's (sp) method to trim it myself now, so hopefully I can do that :)

Thanks!

Michele
April 29th, 2009, 03:34 PM
For what it's worth, i think your hair is Gorgeous! And i'm not just saying that to make you feel better. I would actually kill for hair like yours :D

Hope your hair will soon grow into the shape YOU want.

Demetrue
April 29th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I would call the stylist tomorrow and tell her that you did not want a V- hemline and was there a misunderstanding on her part. Take a picture of yourself from the back and draw a line showing how you want the hemline to hang and ask her to fix it. Tell her you have had a positive relationship with her for years and you like how she colors your hair, so you would like to be assured that she will not cut the V-hem in the future.

elliebean184
April 29th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Those are all great ideas! I hope you feel better about the incident- your hair is still lovely!

Forever_Sophie
April 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM
For what it's worth, i think your hair is Gorgeous! And i'm not just saying that to make you feel better. I would actually kill for hair like yours :D

Hope your hair will soon grow into the shape YOU want.

omg, you totally made my day! Thank you, and welcome, btw!! :)

I would call the stylist tomorrow and tell her that you did not want a V- hemline and was there a misunderstanding on her part. Take a picture of yourself from the back and draw a line showing how you want the hemline to hang and ask her to fix it. Tell her you have had a positive relationship with her for years and you like how she colors your hair, so you would like to be assured that she will not cut the V-hem in the future.

That's a great idea, to draw the pic from behind!! I'll do that, thanks :)

wackyredtangles
April 29th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I'm really sorry! I had a very similar experience, a few months ago that I'm still dealing with.

I went in, and first of all they were very late taking me. There were two stylists in at the time. The one who wasn't cutting my hair had been dealing with a very long hair-ed client. She chopped a ton off, and colored it. The previous long hair was happy with it, and it was still below shoulder, so I didn't really care too much about that. It was after, the stylist kept talking, and talking, and talking to her next clients, and after they left to my stylist, about how awful the girl's hair was, how dry and brittle, and such an awful color. I found this to be extremely unprofessional and distasteful. I never would have let that woman any where near my hair.

Anyways, so I go off for a wash, and my stylist asks me what I want done. I told her to stick with the shape that it was already in (a very slight U), and just a very small, micro, 1/4 inch trim. She said ok, washed my hair, and got to cutting.

After she was done I looked down to find long strands of hair. To be fair, she did ask if i wanted an angle, and I did say yes, but I specified the one that was already cut into my hair, not anymore, and just a very small trim. I don't know if I wasn't clear enough or what, even though I think it was. Not to mention the entire time the other stylist was just going on and on about how awful the other girls hair was! Ack!

That was back in September, and I haven't had a trim since. I could probably use one, and I don't want to go back to the hairdressers, so I might use Feye's self trim. Hrm.

Your hair does look nice. Have you tried it half up in a barette, and seen if you like the back better that way? That would probably make the V less vivid.

Forever_Sophie
April 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I'm really sorry! I had a very similar experience, a few months ago that I'm still dealing with.

I went in, and first of all they were very late taking me. There were two stylists in at the time. The one who wasn't cutting my hair had been dealing with a very long hair-ed client. She chopped a ton off, and colored it. The previous long hair was happy with it, and it was still below shoulder, so I didn't really care too much about that. It was after, the stylist kept talking, and talking, and talking to her next clients, and after they left to my stylist, about how awful the girl's hair was, how dry and brittle, and such an awful color. I found this to be extremely unprofessional and distasteful. I never would have let that woman any where near my hair.

Anyways, so I go off for a wash, and my stylist asks me what I want done. I told her to stick with the shape that it was already in (a very slight U), and just a very small, micro, 1/4 inch trim. She said ok, washed my hair, and got to cutting.

After she was done I looked down to find long strands of hair. To be fair, she did ask if i wanted an angle, and I did say yes, but I specified the one that was already cut into my hair, not anymore, and just a very small trim. I don't know if I wasn't clear enough or what, even though I think it was. Not to mention the entire time the other stylist was just going on and on about how awful the other girls hair was! Ack!

That was back in September, and I haven't had a trim since. I could probably use one, and I don't want to go back to the hairdressers, so I might use Feye's self trim. Hrm.

Your hair does look nice. Have you tried it half up in a barette, and seen if you like the back better that way? That would probably make the V less vivid.

Oh my!! I'm so sorry to hear this. How totally unprofessional. If I were you, I'd mention that the treatment of the previous client attributed to your leaving...

I HATE gossip and honestly wouldn't be surprised if all the "Isn't her hair GORGEOUS!?" goes flying out the window the second I leave. I don't think you could have been clearer, either, it was smart of you to mention keeping the shape. I thought it went w/o saying :rolleyes:

Similar situation, there's a new girl working there that my stylist seems to be super friendly w/, and just too much talking went on.

Good luck getting your hair back to the shape you like. Here's to biotin! ;)

Morningglory
April 29th, 2009, 05:01 PM
:crush: You have such beautiful, long hair Forever Sophie!!!! I love the V hemline on you. I always love the way that cut looks in the front too. Maybe you should enjoy it and have fun with the style for a change!

However, I am so sorry that you lost so much length in the layers. I know that is so horrific to experience!:( I am soooo sorry. It is so physically painful to loose hair. I think it will look great as you grow it out. If you just do little trims as it grows you can work on the shape.

Right now I think you are too upset to loose any more length. I would strongly suggest just letting it grow for now. :flower: Have fun playing with the style!

Forever_Sophie
April 29th, 2009, 05:37 PM
:crush: You have such beautiful, long hair Forever Sophie!!!! I love the V hemline on you. I always love the way that cut looks in the front too. Maybe you should enjoy it and have fun with the style for a change!

However, I am so sorry that you lost so much length in the layers. I know that is so horrific to experience!:( I am soooo sorry. It is so physically painful to loose hair. I think it will look great as you grow it out. If you just do little trims as it grows you can work on the shape.

Right now I think you are too upset to loose any more length. I would strongly suggest just letting it grow for now. :flower: Have fun playing with the style!

Aw thank you!! Thanks for being so understanding - it sounds trite to many but...well, you know.

vindo
April 29th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I think she might have trie to add layers and overdid it? Happened to my sister once.:(

Forever_Sophie
April 29th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I think she might have trie to add layers and overdid it? Happened to my sister once.:(

:angry: That said, look at you! Love your sig pic :)

Fifty-Five
April 29th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Sadly, it's not the first time, and problably not the last, I've heard of a salon disaster. One of the first happened to a friend of mine years ago.

She went in to the salon looking to get a few layers. They were stylish and 'simple enough', so it seemed like an easy change to appease herself and other friends who had encouraged her. At the time, her hair reached the small of her back, with bangs to her upper lip she was trying to grow back out. Now, I couldn't tell you exactly what dialogue took place between her and the stylist, but I do know the result. She left that salon barely holding back her tears. Cause? Her hair barely touched her shoulders, and her bangs had been 'trimmed' back for her. For about two weeks, every time I talked to her, she was really upset and self-concious about her hair, despite compliments from everyone. Well...sort-of compliments like 'Wow! Your hair looks great! SO much better than the drab you had before. You're actually pretty now!'

I guess, in the end, the stylist won out. Said friend has been converted, and now keeps her hair short, layered, and the whole she-bang. What's the point in retelling this story? Well, at least you didn't end up THIS bad o.o

On the advice side of things, I say you should at least make it known to your stylist that it wasn't what you wanted. Not rude, of course, but just let her know that you'd wanted to keep your U instead of the V. Based on the conversation, you could decide whether or not to trust her with scissors again, ya know? I know I couldn't, 'cause it seems more like a blatant disregard for your wishes in hopes that you'd prefer what she thought looked better. D=

Forever_Sophie
April 30th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Sadly, it's not the first time, and problably not the last, I've heard of a salon disaster. One of the first happened to a friend of mine years ago.

She went in to the salon looking to get a few layers. They were stylish and 'simple enough', so it seemed like an easy change to appease herself and other friends who had encouraged her. At the time, her hair reached the small of her back, with bangs to her upper lip she was trying to grow back out. Now, I couldn't tell you exactly what dialogue took place between her and the stylist, but I do know the result. She left that salon barely holding back her tears. Cause? Her hair barely touched her shoulders, and her bangs had been 'trimmed' back for her. For about two weeks, every time I talked to her, she was really upset and self-concious about her hair, despite compliments from everyone. Well...sort-of compliments like 'Wow! Your hair looks great! SO much better than the drab you had before. You're actually pretty now!'

I guess, in the end, the stylist won out. Said friend has been converted, and now keeps her hair short, layered, and the whole she-bang. What's the point in retelling this story? Well, at least you didn't end up THIS bad o.o

On the advice side of things, I say you should at least make it known to your stylist that it wasn't what you wanted. Not rude, of course, but just let her know that you'd wanted to keep your U instead of the V. Based on the conversation, you could decide whether or not to trust her with scissors again, ya know? I know I couldn't, 'cause it seems more like a blatant disregard for your wishes in hopes that you'd prefer what she thought looked better. D=

Your poor friend! I don't get how these stylists work, I'd be afraid of giving someone what they don't want - is it customer service after all...

You're right, it could have been much worse, and I'll definitely let her know.

PS I miss Toronto!

enfys
April 30th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I think you have to love long hair to appreciate why this feels so bad. I have to agree that if she colours well then just see her for that. If she asks why you don't see her for trims just sy you have someone else do it now because they give it a nice shape! That's subtle enough but still lets her know you're annoyed.

And it does look very pretty on you in a V shape. That said, Feye's method all the way!