PDA

View Full Version : Help...layers

wahmof9
April 28th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I have been part of LHC and I LOVE it. So much information...

I put a new picture in my album..it seems to me like my hair grew well for the past month...by measurement 1" minus the 1/4 I cut to get rid of layer and get rid of v cut.

My dilemma: I am about 3 inches away from BSL which is my first goal BUT I have lots of layers and a v cut.

I want to let my hair grow but know my ends will look thin if I do. I also want to get rid of the layers. I do not want to wait for the layers to catch up and cut all my growth...this is too sad I want to see length.

Is there a way to do both? I was thinking cut 1/4 inch every two months???

neon-dream
April 28th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I am also trying to get rid of a V cut.
I'm cutting 1/4 inch a month to slowly remove it.
You could try the same thing :)!
:flowers:

wahmof9
April 28th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I am also trying to get rid of a V cut.
I'm cutting 1/4 inch a month to slowly remove it.
You could try the same thing :)!
:flowers:
I could but I'd mourn the loss of length!:(

kdaniels8811
April 28th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Just me but I would just let it grow. You will have various lengths due to hair growing at different rates anyway so just let it be! Some of the lreally ong haired ladies have very uneven hemlines and it looks great! My two cents, for what it is worth...

AnneAdeline
April 28th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I had a layered cut at shoulder-length. At waist, I still have some layers. The way I've been dealing with them is by slowly cutting off the longest layer. I went from APL to waist in just over a year with the little trims.

wahmof9
April 28th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I had a layered cut at shoulder-length. At waist, I still have some layers. The way I've been dealing with them is by slowly cutting off the longest layer. I went from APL to waist in just over a year with the little trims.
Thanks ladies! I think I'll follow your advice AnneAdeline as I want my hair to grow. But how did you control splits and such?

Katze
April 29th, 2009, 03:05 AM
I had a heavily layered shag cut (oh so trendy in 2004...) and have been slowly trimming since finding this site in 2006. My hair is still layered, but the longest layers (side bangs) are now at chin length, with a lot of new growth adding to my "natural layers."

Because I am a wavy layering can look OK, but my hair isn't really wavy or thick enough to pull off the fairytale ends look without styling.

It sounds like you are unhappy with the look of your layers, so why not gradually trim them? For me, waiting until they "really, really bug me" (my ends look seethrough and ratty) is helping me get length while still evening things up. I end up trimming about every 3-6 months as the mood strikes.

Remember, many of us are growing out these trendy layered cuts...you are not alone!

Aditi
April 29th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I love layers and my waist length hair looks great in them which are un-trimmed from a very long time. I had them when i was BSL and i figured i will let them grow as they are, you can try that and if you don't like it then i think you can cut the longest layer when it grows past your goal length.

Lile
April 29th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Thanks ladies! I think I'll follow your advice AnneAdeline as I want my hair to grow. But how did you control splits and such?

The question is not for me,but I had the same question in mind:how to control splits when letting it grow.Now it seems like my ends improved a lot from oiling!!!!
I did a very heavy oiling yesterday with a mixture of olive oil,fractionated coconut oil,and soybean oil,and then washing it out with some nice herbal conditioner.
My hair (all the length)is softer now than it used to be after trimming,and I can't find my splits,(they must be there somewhere,but nicely hidden:p)
So,heavy oiling is a great solution for me.

I have the same dilemma as you wahmof9.Letting the layers grow,or cutting them back gradually?I like layers,apart from the fact,that I can't skip the hairdresser with them...:)no do it yourself trimming or anything like that....
(Before my perm)my hair was healthy,I had straight hemline,no layers,and that was a bit boring...also too heavy to have it in buns...so I had it always down.
Maybe long layers are not that bad:-)

MsBubbles
April 29th, 2009, 06:43 AM
A couple of things come to my mind:

You hair is wavy and has body, and will probably look good at BSL and Waist with layers. I think the waves and body will offset any thinness on the ends.

Why not let it all grow as is down to BSL and see what it looks like to you there? To me BSL hair felt 'long' (at the time, LOL) whereas shoulder-length to APL didn't. Plus at BSL you can maybe do more updos, making it easier to maintain at that length if you want to (i.e. put it up and forget about it), to let all your layers catch up if that's what you decide to do.

Disclaimer: if you have a lot of damage/split ends already, then you should probably start regular trims, now.

My problem was 'how to make sure when I trim, that I catch all the damage at the back on my canopy?'. Since I have fine hair and couldn't discern the layers back there, I just maintained at BSL until all the layers caught up, so now I know when I do a self-trim, I'm actually cutting most of the damage in the same trim. If I kept growing to waist with old damaged layers higher up my hair, I would have ended up having to chop off a huge bunch of hair later, which I didn't want to do.

enfys
April 30th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I'd maintain at BSL for a bit once you get there; at your rate that wil be July, not long at all.

That's what I'm doing, hopefully. I'll stay at 35 for a bit to get my layers to catch up. I don't want layers on very long hair, but I want long hair!

It's a tricky situation, but whole load of us are in it.

Aditi, I think your hair is too pretty for you to be able to relate haha. If mine looked like yours I'd have layers for life!