PDA

View Full Version : Shine?

Rapunzal2Be
April 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
:D Hi!

What are the best ways to add more shine??

(My hair was really shiny using Nioxin serum with 'cones, but I'm trying to lighten up on my 'cone usage and see how that goes. I'm going longer between washes, CWC instead of SC, and switching off between Nioxin condish (with cones) and Suave Humectant (I think without). My hair is still looking very soft, very healthy, and not necessarily dull or anything, but just not super shiny.)

spidermom
April 28th, 2009, 11:02 AM
marialena had good results using vinegar with tarragon.

mira-chan
April 28th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Camera flash? :silly:

Fenugreek masks give great shine. Oiling a little bit (a drop or two) works wonders as well.

spidermom
April 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I second the camera flash, haha. Seriously though, I find shine varies significantly with the light.

3azza
April 28th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Today i had an egg/olive oil mask scented with a dash of nutmeg, and now my locks are shinier. I think i'll repeat that next time i feel it's dull.

*Rose Red*
April 28th, 2009, 12:40 PM
After washing I rinse my hair with water and a little bit of cider vinegar oder a few drops of lemon juice. If you use too much vinegar or lemon, your hair can be too dry.

*Rose Red*
April 28th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Ps.: I also use camomile tea.

milemma
April 28th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Very cold water as the last rinse

LHGypsyRose
April 28th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I second the cold water rinse. It really help in keeping my hair smooth and shiny.

JamieLeigh
April 28th, 2009, 06:21 PM
The best thing my hair has ever responded to, as far as shine, is a honey-conditioner mask. I use Suave Naturals tropical coconut (it already has honey in it's ingred list), and do 1 part honey, 2 parts conditioner - just enough to coat my hair completely from root to tip (it takes a lot for me). Then sit with my hair up under a plastic cap for 2 hours, and wash out like a normal CO. I don't have to clarify or anything, and since it's up under a cap, the honey doesn't dry or become sticky. :)

AnneAdeline
April 28th, 2009, 06:58 PM
A little bit of coconut oil makes my hair shine like no tomorrow.
I also do cold water rinses on days that it wouldn't turn me into an icicle.

SimplyLonghair
April 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM
The best thing my hair has ever responded to, as far as shine, is a honey-conditioner mask. I use Suave Naturals tropical coconut (it already has honey in it's ingred list), and do 1 part honey, 2 parts conditioner - just enough to coat my hair completely from root to tip (it takes a lot for me). Then sit with my hair up under a plastic cap for 2 hours, and wash out like a normal CO. I don't have to clarify or anything, and since it's up under a cap, the honey doesn't dry or become sticky. :)
This is what worked for me I loved the honey treatments and so did my hair this is a pic of after a honey treatment http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/simply_longhair/momfrenched.jpg

Elphie
April 28th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Olive oil shampoo, coconut oil and vinegar rinses are what I feel seem to work best for me.

CaityBear
April 28th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Rinsing with cold water has always helped me. And using white vinegar seems to make my hair really shiny as well.

Arniky
May 9th, 2009, 08:41 AM
nice information, shiny loose tresses looks nice

lynnala
May 10th, 2009, 03:23 AM
I used fenugreek recently for the first time, it added a lot of shine. I'm going to try a honey conditioning treatment next, especially after seeing that pic that simplylonghair posted. Beautiful!

Melisande
May 10th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I do a mix for deep treatment: conditioner, honey, olive oil, wheat protein, keratin, and put it on my hair. I bag it for two hours and wash it out with sulfate/free diluted shampoo.

Gives me crazy shine every time.

Also nice: henna, citric acid rinses, combing with horn comb, coconut oil.

AmandaPanda
May 10th, 2009, 07:33 AM
~The straighter your hair, the more shiny it will be (usually)
~Don't lighten/bleach (lemon, peroxide, too much sun etc)
~Water filter if you have hard water or well water
~Clairol Jazzing treatment (clear)
~Citric acid rinse
~ACV rinse
~cones
~cold water rinse

ccmuffingirl
May 11th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Honey and ACV give my hair such shine!

Carina
May 11th, 2009, 12:10 PM
When I want my hair to have that shine I turn to oil.I am in love with argan oil at the moment.

Samikha
May 12th, 2009, 09:02 AM
marialena had good results using vinegar with tarragon.

And so did I! Honey is good for shine, either mixed with your conditioner or as a full SMT. Cassia works great, too.

marialena
May 12th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Hm.. I will write here what I think that gives shine on hair. Some of the tricks that I tried didn't work for some ladies. So these are general guidelines and not rules..

Vinegar rinses. ( from all that I have tried the best vinegar is the one with the terragon).

Vinegar and beer rinses.. ( Heineken rocks.. give body and shine equally).

Good rinse of the rinse first with warm water and then with totally cold.. ( as cold as you head bears).

Henna.. Henna gives extreme shine on hair.

Oils in small quantities. ( take care not to overdo with them. A drop is usually enough).

Beer shampoo for body and shine. I have posted here a recipe but you have to experiment with this because it worked for me but not for some ladies.

Generally and IMO always...
The less chemicals we use the better, stronger and nicer our hair become. :)

curls2grow
May 12th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I've resorted to Robert Craig Clear to help my hair with shine. I used to do cold water rinses then read that it doesn't really make a difference for health of hair, so I stopped doing them -- but I am going back to them starting tomorrow to see if helps with shine. I also need to try honey or vinegar. Thanks for posting those tips!

Nevermore
May 12th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I use a small amount of oil by putting it in my palm and coating the bristles of my boar bristle brush with it, then brushing starting at the ends. I add more oil in the same way, if I want more shine.

It's really hard to overdo the oiling this way, imo.

Nevermore
May 12th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Sorry, it posted it twice, for some reason.

eterea
June 3rd, 2011, 02:40 PM
Nevermore I used to do the same.
But I find better to use aloe as leavein before jojoba (or mixed together).

redheadlynn
June 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
A little bit of coconut oil makes my hair shine like no tomorrow.
I also do cold water rinses on days that it wouldn't turn me into an icicle.

I second these two suggestions. Coconut oil is awesome for softness and shine (for me). :D