PDA

View Full Version : Skin, Hair, Chlorine and Eczema

bgarrison
April 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/health/research/28regi.html?ref=health

Reading this article reminded me that as a kid my acne would be so much better summer's spent swimming in a pool. Straight sunbathing was not nearly as effective.

Which led me to thinking about this rabid crusty, itchy scalp I've been dealing with for almost a year, about the time I installed a shower filter, in part to remove chlorine from my water.

Standard thinking says bleach+ hair= bad, but this article, plus my experience as a teen's got me wondering. Not that I'm about to pour bleach on my hair, but I am thinking about doing an experiment with filter washing vs. no filter washing.

Any other itchy scalp folks using water filters? Maybe my body was accustomed to the chemicals in my tap water . :confused:

bgarrison
April 28th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I realize this sounds crazy, lol. Desperate I guess.:crazyq::crazyq::crazyq:

girlcat36
April 28th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Interesting article.

I suffered terribly from eczema as a child, losing my fingernails(they grew back) and ending up in the hospital several times with staph infection of the excema sores.

My eczema seemed to be allergy-based, and going mostly WO has nearly eliminated the problem.

I am installing a water filter soon to remove the chlorine from my water. Showering, even without soap, causes a little pimply rash on my torso that subsides about 20 minutes after my shower. I am also blaming chlorine for my hairloss!

I find it very intesting that a scalp problem began when you filtered your water!

florenonite
April 28th, 2009, 11:54 AM
It was when I became a swimming instructor and was in the water several days a week that I started breaking out. I always had clear skin prior to that. It made my ezcema much worse, too. I can't see how it would help.

Ndnlady
April 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM
We have a chlorine filter on our shower which has significantly helped us as far as skin and hair. In fact I get emails from the company I buy my filters from when it's time to replace the filter is how much the filter has helped us!:)
But I do have a friend who has acne and "bacne" that virtually disappears when she is on her swim team during the summer.

Anje
April 28th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I guess you can always try taking off the water filter and seeing if your scalp improves.

Do you know for sure that the problem with your scalp is excema, rather than something else, like SD?

SleepySin
April 29th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I remember that a doctor once told me or rather, suggested that I take a bath with a cap full of chlorine bleach for my eczema. I was in my early teens and I don't remember any particular good results coming from that but the idea behind it is the chlorine taking care of any secondary infections you may have acquired into broken skin.

Over this past winter, I've been having issues with eczema on my scalp as well and using a rosemary rinse in the shower seems to help out a lot.

bgarrison
April 29th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I guess you can always try taking off the water filter and seeing if your scalp improves.

Do you know for sure that the problem with your scalp is excema, rather than something else, like SD?
I've been checked out by a dermatologist who said I was fine and suggested Claritin for the itching. Not such a great idea for me as I've got sjogren's-- chronic dryness-- which I'm guessing is connected to my itchy, dry scalp, too. Menopause surely can't be helping, either.

I might take the filter off and see if there's any change. Couldn't hurt, I guess.

bgarrison
April 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I remember that a doctor once told me or rather, suggested that I take a bath with a cap full of chlorine bleach for my eczema. I was in my early teens and I don't remember any particular good results coming from that but the idea behind it is the chlorine taking care of any secondary infections you may have acquired into broken skin.

Over this past winter, I've been having issues with eczema on my scalp as well and using a rosemary rinse in the shower seems to help out a lot.
How are you preparing your rosemary? Maybe I should give that a go.

SleepySin
May 5th, 2009, 12:49 AM
How are you preparing your rosemary? Maybe I should give that a go.

I pick it fresh from my garden (maybe a couple of two inch sprays), rip the leaves off and grind them with a mortar and pestle until the leaves look nicely pulverized. Then I put that and some very hot water into a bowl/mug, let it sit until it cools enough to be used my skin and then when I'm ready to use it, I'll strain out the pulpy parts. I'll just pour it over my scalp, other times, I pour it into a little squeeze bottle and use that to distribute it. I'll let it sit for a few minutes while I do other shower-things and then just rinse with water.