PDA

View Full Version : odd coworkers I say

lora410
April 28th, 2009, 07:48 AM
OK, so I could come to work with the weirdest hair toy on my head or a really cool up do and nobody would say anything. Today I come in with two pigtail braids and EVERYONE said something. I got called Dorothy from the wizard of oz and Pippy long stockings. I think this is very funny!!! I guess seeing two braids on an adult seems odd to them? The human race is truly perplexing :lol: This happen to anyone else? please share :D

Unofficial_Rose
April 28th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I did the two braids thing at work once and my boss kept giggling every time he had to talk to me. They were twin French braids as well. Someone else said I was Heidi and he was Rumpelstiltskin!

This was years before discovering LHC/hairsticks/ficcares etc. Last year I wore endless beautiful sticks in updo's and nobody said a thing! Seems like people don't pay much attention to hair "up".

Copasetic
April 28th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I have had almost the same thing happen to me. None of my friends say anything about my hair ever, which makes sense, because I don't do anything fancy with it. But one day I put it into braided pigtails. Not Heidi ones, the plain ones. They all went nuts, and were commenting on it, and grabbing them. I haven't worn my hair like that since because I hate attention.

embee
April 28th, 2009, 08:52 AM
It must be braids - any braid. After I did my disgusting 8 inch chop (about a hour before I found LHC) I had to wear my hair in a single braid because any updo had become unworkable with blunt stiff ends poking out everywhere. Many people commented, touched :( and noticed my hair. Oddly, they thought it so long, while I was mourning that it was suddenly so short!

And pretty much nobody notices my updo efforts. Well, two people in real life: Rags (last weekend) and my cousin (about 6 months ago) commented on my orchid bun.

mugglemomof3
April 28th, 2009, 08:56 AM
My co-workers are pretty darn clueless too, even though they're both very nosy. I will tell you that when I was in the hospital for my surgery in January, I wore twin braids and my surgeon, who has no bedside manner whatsoever, told me he liked my hair and it reminded me of his mom and sisters back in the day. He said it was a shame that more women didn't wear twin braids these days. I was relly amused - it was the most he'd "chatted" with me in all our appointments!!

Merewen
April 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM
It's definitely a braids thing. For some reason they stick out. I think a lot of people think they are "cute", but to them a bun is a bun is a bun.
For what it's worth, if you walk down the street past me, I am definitely ogling your pretty hair sticks!

heidihug
April 28th, 2009, 09:12 AM
When I wear my hair in a french braid I get comments once in a while at work. I think because it really shows off my length. And it looks hard to do :rolleyes:.

But when I have an elaborate updo with a fork or hair sticks, no one says a thing. Oh, other than my bosses boss once remarking that I carry weapons around in my hair. Snerk.

Themyst
April 28th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I get a lot of compliments when my hair is down, but not usually when I wear it up.

Occasionally, I will wear it back in a low ponytail with a whole bunch of hair ties all the way down the length. I get mega comments about that - I never could figure out why. Yet, no one comments about the huge wad of hair I pile up on my head for a bun ...:confused:

Rohele
April 28th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I don't have co-workers, since I'm not working at the moment, but my DH comments every time I wear twin ponytails (my hair is too short for two braids). For some reason he really likes them. Its odd because I don't think he really likes my hair when it gets longer. He certainly has never commented on anything else about my hair.

MsBubbles
April 28th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Yep, I got the 'Pippi Longstocking' comment at work once from just wearing a single English braid. :rolleyes: I explained that I had tried to wear it up but that it fell out of the ficcare (freshly washed). So my boss said "Well they make hats...for bad hair days". Silly co-workers!

Islandgrrl
April 28th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I have to agree. It has to be a braid thing.

I don't wear braids often, but when I do they seem to get heaps of attention. Pigtail braids or two pinned up braids are the worst. I get the Heidi thing, which for me isn't uncommon because it happens to be close enough to my actual name that I usually answer to it anyway. But it's still irritating.

Rosepatrice
April 28th, 2009, 11:39 AM
YEA!! I've been called Pippy long Stocking lots of times. Probably because my freckles and whiteish skin, besides the two long, braided pig tails. When I wear them above my ears, I get the most comments, like: There's Pippy! and, oh, how SWEEEET! LOL!!

Runzel
April 28th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I subscribe to the theory that it's a braids thing. I suspect that the two braids receiving more comments might be related to the fact that they stay in front of the shoulders, which makes them more noticeable, and people see them when you're facing them instead of with your back turned so they have a more convenient opportunity to comment. (The people, not the braids. :rolleyes:)

Madame J
April 28th, 2009, 11:45 AM
When I wear my hair in a french braid I get comments once in a while at work. I think because it really shows off my length. And it looks hard to do :rolleyes:.

But when I have an elaborate updo with a fork or hair sticks, no one says a thing. Oh, other than my bosses boss once remarking that I carry weapons around in my hair. Snerk.

Oh yeah, when my hair was almost waist-length, I would put it up with chopsticks. I walked into the video store and the middle-aged manager turned to the teenager who had just started working there and said "Watch out, she may look sweet, but she can kill you in 56 different ways with those things in her hair." I just smiled sweetly and said "57, now."

I had a friend in college who liked to run a finger down the middle of my french braids because it feels weird to the braid-wearer (she also had long hair).

Merewen
April 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Oh yeah, when my hair was almost waist-length, I would put it up with chopsticks. I walked into the video store and the middle-aged manager turned to the teenager who had just started working there and said "Watch out, she may look sweet, but she can kill you in 56 different ways with those things in her hair." I just smiled sweetly and said "57, now."

That is an AWESOME line. I am going to have to keep that in mind.

Honey39
April 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Ooh, how odd - I wore my hair in a single plait (braid) yesterday for the first time ever to work, and EVERY SINGLE PERSON commented. About 15 people, maybe a few more. What on earth is it about braids? I had it in a pony tail about the middle of my head, and then a straight braid down to the middle of my back.

It was nice, sure, but what on earth caused so much reaction? Am baffled, and this thread reminded me of it. I'm not going to do it again, I think - too much attention.

Xandergrammy
April 28th, 2009, 12:52 PM
The same thing happens to me!! In the course of one day, I've been called Pocahontas, Pippi Longstocking and Dorothy. And at least one person has to grab my braids like reins on a horse and say "giddyup". :grin:

Curlsgirl
April 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I don't get comments on a single braid at work anymore but I did when I started wearing it. The other day I got a bunch of comments on a Figure 8 and I have been wearing that style for a long time. Not sure what was different. I KNOW I would get too much attention if I wore 2 braids to work even on casual day I don't for that reason. It would totally annoy me to get those stupid comments like Pippy Longstocking or Heidi. LOL. I do get comments when I wear a side braid over the shoulder but they aren't stupid ones. They are always positive.

DH loves 2 braids on me and I wear them sometimes for him but I get ALL KINDS OF STARES. It makes me feel weird.

Alia
April 28th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I don't get many comments when I wear twin braids...in fact, I don't get many comments, period. Maybe, I have a stay the ***** away aura? :rolleyes:

Heidi_234
April 28th, 2009, 01:20 PM
That is weird. I've got to try it too. Wear my hair in a french braid and see if it draws attention. :smile: Or maybe two french braids? But I feel it doesn't look good on moi hmm... *pondering*

Xandergrammy
April 28th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I don't get many comments when I wear twin braids...in fact, I don't get many comments, period. Maybe, I have a stay the ***** away aura? :rolleyes:

Haha maybe you do! I think I must have a "Come on over and play with my hair" aura! :gabigrin:

swanns
April 28th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I've never got the Pippi Longstocking comment (then again I barely ever wear my hair in two braids), but those few times I've done guess who everyone says I look like? Pocahontas! She didn't even wear braids (not in the Disney movie at least anyway :P ) !

spidermom
April 28th, 2009, 02:33 PM
It's not a braid thing (at least not around here). I've been disappointed more than once by taking a considerable amount of time to do an elaborate braided style, then not getting one word of feedback.

MemSahib
April 28th, 2009, 02:59 PM
If I get a comment on my hair, it's usually braided. I think braiding is nearly a lost art. Think how many people at LHC have had to learn to braid anything, let alone hair, before they can do braided styles! A while back I taught two young granddaughters the simple three-strand braid and need to also teach the other one who is old enough to learn. I've got at least one grandson who is old enough to learn, too. Hmmmm...

Everyone should know how.

jahof45
April 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I'll have to try this out.

I did dress up like Pippy Longstocking for Halloween at work and was actually hit-on by a couple of young men. Cracked me up. I had a hanger wire through my braids so they could stand up and out like in the book. I looked exactly like the illustrations in the books. I even blacked out my front tooth and put huge freckles on my face. I haven't the vaguest idea why anyone found that attractive. LOL

Jessica Trapp
April 28th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I think two braids are really cute--especially on "thick" hair.

Jess

Anje
April 28th, 2009, 04:39 PM
There's definitely something about braids... I get all sorts of comments when I do two, and recently even my single braids are starting to attract attention because of the length. It's kinda cool!

lora410
April 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Oh, other than my bosses boss once remarking that I carry weapons around in my hair. Snerk.

:rollin: love it. I had my fork on my desk one day and my boss said it looked like a weapon.

JamieLeigh
April 28th, 2009, 06:18 PM
People are odd, LOL. I find that the less time I spend on my hair-styling, the more compliments I get. I spent all morning a couple of weeks ago, trying to make a woven bun with my new fairy sticks, and absolutely NOTHING for my trouble!! The messy buns that I just throw up to get my hair off of my back are the crowd favorites, and leaving it loose is big too, apparently. (Although loose does look more impressive at this length I guess :pinktongue: )

Runzel
April 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Haha, knowing which styles are the "crowd favorites" can come in handy for semi-controling the response based on how much attention one does or does not wish to draw upon oneself. :cheese:

Pierre
April 28th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I've had two Dutch braids for a few days, and no comments from my coworkers, or my chickenorkers. But I did get called pretty by a man in the evening (though I had to ask him what he said, as he was some distance from me on the street).

orbiting
April 28th, 2009, 09:35 PM
to be honest, I must work with entirely perverts.

The only comments I get with my hair in braided pig tails are... not in line with the PG13 nature of this board.:rolleyes:

But I do get more comments with them, heh

Calanthe
April 28th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Not at work, no. One notices a new hairtoy, but then she sits right behind me. An ex-boyfriend commented when I just got off my horse: "wow, today your hair looks really great". Yes, sure...in a straggly braid with great helmet hair and a slight sand-dusting all over...:rolleyes:.

KiwiLiz
April 29th, 2009, 12:04 AM
The only comments I get with my hair in braided pig tails are... not in line with the PG13 nature of this board.:rolleyes:

... Comments relating to handle bars? Yes, I get those too when I wear braids, from people who do know me well enough to know I don't appreciate it and don't realise I'll stare them down about it. :P

misspriss
April 29th, 2009, 12:06 AM
to be honest, I must work with entirely perverts.

But I do get more comments with them, heh

I think these are the thoughts people have when I do the double braids, which I am going to do tomorrow. I did just pigtails today because my hair was dirty, and then I didn't wash it tonight. I abscentmindedly braided them while watching tv, and I think that is how I will wear them tomorrow. It is getting long enough to really look "right" to me when they are double braided. I guess by right I mean long enough to hang past my shoulders while braided. When they are so short you barely get any bumps and they don't touch your shoulders, I can't stand it. I am happy with my braided pigtails now!

Fifty-Five
April 29th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I almost always wear my hair in a ponytail, and I can't really do anything else. xD So I never really get anything at work except the odd comment from a girl like 'O_O I just realized your hair is longer than mine T_T'

Last summer, though, I was playing street hockey in a league I helped set up in town. I always wore my hair up and out of the way. One day, I showed up with my hair down, intending to put it up after I'd finished eating the supper I'd brought with me. A buddy of mine saw me from behind and said 'Hey! Who's the chick? 8) ....****! Dude, NEVER do that to me again! D=' xDDD

Poppy Seed
April 29th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I get a lot of compliments when my hair is down, but not usually when I wear it up.

Occasionally, I will wear it back in a low ponytail with a whole bunch of hair ties all the way down the length. I get mega comments about that - I never could figure out why. Yet, no one comments about the huge wad of hair I pile up on my head for a bun ...:confused:

That's because multiple ties accentuate the length of the hair!

I get the same thing.

(Especially cool for me as I do have taper, so multiple ties keeps the ends together and makes the length more noticeable.

mellie
April 29th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I don't do double braids, but often double ponytails, and always get lots of comments. When I do double buns, of course I get the "Princess Leia" thing....at least I am keeping them entertained, I guess!! :D

embee
April 29th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Last summer, though, I was playing street hockey in a league I helped set up in town. I always wore my hair up and out of the way. One day, I showed up with my hair down, intending to put it up after I'd finished eating the supper I'd brought with me. A buddy of mine saw me from behind and said 'Hey! Who's the chick? 8) ....****! Dude, NEVER do that to me again! D=' xDDD

Ha!!!

You remind me of a similar experience. We'd gone to a bar for a music show and there was someone in a wonderful floor length batik caftan and long hair ahead of us. I could only see the back. I was most impressed, and when she turned around HE had a beard.

I 'bout fainted! ;)

sneakybea
April 30th, 2009, 04:35 AM
I'll have to try this out.

I did dress up like Pippy Longstocking for Halloween at work and was actually hit-on by a couple of young men. Cracked me up. I had a hanger wire through my braids so they could stand up and out like in the book. I looked exactly like the illustrations in the books. I even blacked out my front tooth and put huge freckles on my face. I haven't the vaguest idea why anyone found that attractive. LOL
OT: I have to say, some guys seem to have a thing for Pippi. I don't mean that in a creepy way. Pippi is one of my "go-to" Halloween costumes, and when I was in college, I dressed as her for Halloween while my friend was dressed as a Playboy bunny. Well, this really good-lucking stranger dressed as a pirate came up and asked me to pose for a picture; he all but ignored my friend in her lingerie, except to give her the camera! Maybe it was because Pippi's father was a pirate? Who knows.
Back on topic: I don't get a lot of compliments whether my hair is up or braided. . One of my students complimented me on some Nightblooming hair sticks once, and my dance teachers sometimes comment when I wear French braids to class. I think it depends whether people see the back of my head.

Ade
April 30th, 2009, 06:32 AM
The "traditional Korean styles":
a) a single braid
b) a braided bun

Basic go-to styles for long-haired women all over the world!

Robinlyn
April 30th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I always get comments when I wear two braids as well! People can be so funny!! Whenever I see anyone with two long braids, I always compliment!! Silly world we live in!!

pineapple pea
April 30th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I like two braids or two pigtails when my hair was shorter. My husband likes them too. But yes, it seems everyone else in the world thinks they are silly!!

In Fable 2 (a video game), pigtails were the most attractive female style you could put on your character. I was excited!

Spike
April 30th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I think it has to do with the "relatability" of the hairstyle. Elaborate braided styles, funky buns and the like are unusual . . . but I'm betting non-longhairs assume you had it done somewhere.

Braids, though, everyone remembers the girl in elementary school with pigtails or braided pigtials (and yeah, some of us WERE that girl) and the memories take over common sense. Nonlonghairs can relate to double braids through memory, but not to significantly different styles.

Susana
April 30th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I think braids sort of "ornament" your face more (if they are forward and around the face), plus they are cute becasue little girls wear them almost exclusively, whereas older women do wear more buns, like the school teachers, librarians, or grandmas. Hence why I think braids are notuced more, they are "cute" as opposed to age-appropiate. Plus buns are generally on the back of your head - it doesn't affect the view too much from the front. I don't usually notice buns at all.